Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

You're forgetting the most Cataclysm method of all: a SHITLOAD of drugs. If you're not methed out to the point that you can rip a zombie's face in half with one bare hand, you're not playing it right.

Or just use the "skills increase stats" mod I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I'm sorry that sounded like a solution other than the correct one which is MORE DRUGS

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Tin Tim posted:

How do you manage your focus right?

I'm not in pain, well fed and hydrated and in a good mood. But my focus goes down rather quickly while doing crafts. I tried just passing some time but I don't regain much from an hour of hanging out. Just feeling like I get lovely xp returns from the limitied materials I have

Sleep deprivation can affect it, as can bright sunlight if you don't have sunglasses. Studying from a book also eats your focus like candy compared to "real-world" training. Certain addictions and mental afflictions (happens a lot to Schizophrenics) can also drain it or give you a malus. You also have an "equilibrium" (I think you can see it in the morale panel?) that you trend toward as a result of your traits and whatnot; it can take a lot longer to "recover" your focus if the equilibrium was shifted downward as a result of severe pain or w/e.

Generally if your focus is really tanked you just need to focus on clean living for a bit: go hunting/scouting and eat healthy food for a day or two before you come back to the training session.

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 17, 2020

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

goatsestretchgoals posted:

(e)xamine the tile with the downspout, you’ll get an option to climb down.

You can "e"xamine any ledge spot and it will prompt you to jump down, even if there isn't a climbable part or it's more than one story. It will just say "You may not be able to get back up", with an additional "it may hurt" warning if you're heavily encumbered and/or aren't a Parkour Expert.

Incidentally this makes Parkour Expert an excllent trait pick. If you get spotted, just beeline for a ladder/downspout (pretty much every building has at least one now) and hop on the roof. Patch yourself up and shout while the big horde gathers ineffectually below you, then sneak over to the other side and hop down while they smash their faces into the wall. (bonus points if you have Z-levels turned on and can lazily toss a molotov or something down behind you)

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

If anyone doesn't know, there's also a "Quicksave" command that's unbound by default. I usually set it to ` and save before I'm about to do something stupid, then you can alt-f4 so long as you don't go past the "deathcam" that happens after you die.

(you can also bind Debug Menu if you're real bad)

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Leal posted:

I'm sure I will be mocked but the majority of my save scumming is mutagens cause RNG is aaaaaaassssssssssss. Like sure its rng if I fail CBM installation, but if I succeed I get the CBM I want, and I can get another copy of that CBM. Mutations its like "here is 3 awful mutations and a tail, now gently caress off"

I'd be lying if I said I didn't occasionally un-mutate a particularly obnoxious/off-flavor mutation. I don't mind drawbacks or a dud batch of mutagen, but turning into a cold-blooded albino halfway through your feline transformation is just a tad annoying.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Palcontent posted:

I haven't done the quest, but research facilities are in the game. Very large overmap structures with several levels and okay loot, comparable to those 1-floor labs.

The above-ground part has a lot of comparatively hard to find (but not necessarily super useful) science equipment, but they also have an extra-large Lab underneath the basement behind a card reader and security floor, usually with bonus loot and/or tunnels to other Labs.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Maybe a final base-building mission to take over a Missile Silo, repurpose one of the Lab Finale portal machines and gather the gear you need to delve into not-Xen and plant a homing beacon or w/e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

I wish you could have a pocket base. Or a Magiclysm spell that casts town portal back to your base.
Building a base is fun and cool but until we get some kind of easy accessibility or genuine fast travel (autopilot doesn't really count, at least as yet) then it feels like wasted effort. A 1 map tile pocket dimension would be a cool spell to keep around.

Magiclysm does indeed have a portal system! You can build a "Translocator Gate" through the construction menu and if you find the "Translocate Self" spell you can warp to any constructed/activated gate! Just gotta stock up on teleporters to build gates on site :v: If you choose the start that's something like "Wizard's Basement" (the description mentions your master "having an accident") that starts you in a basement with the spellbook and a pre-built gate behind a secret door.

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 21, 2021