Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Huh so apparently the new version changes a bunch of archery stuff so there's multiple bows and arrow types. You no longer just get arrows from wood sticks. Wood arrows do shiiiiit damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Man I just want a rad post apocalyptic survival roguelike where I can be anything from Adam Jensen to Mad Max to Kenshiro. Why does there always have to be drama.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Maybe it's just me but what I'd like to see is alternate enemy sets. Something like an apocalypse setting where you can pick if you want a zombie apocalypse, spore apocalypse, robot apocalypse, or extra dimensional apocalypse that makes it so the normal enemy types you run into change. It would be cool to not always be fighting zombies for your average enemies. It would make different builds more important in other situations. Like being quiet during a robot apocalypse isn't important because they operate through IR vision or something or fighting anything from an extra dimensional apocalypse would be terrible until high levels because everything is giant hulking monsters. I just think fighting the same zombies, shockers, hulks, and smoke zombies gets kind of dull after a while and there's so many other kinds of enemies that hardly ever appear. Hell maybe even just a mad max setting where the enemies are all crazy guys in football gear with tricked out cars.

I'd be so much work to do but would be so cool. I just think it would be rad to have something where survival and hiding is more useful then being able to find a jillion pounds of ammo and blow away tons of zombies.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I've got a question does the periodically autosave feature only save the map or does it save my character too?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

That is rad.

Though do you no longer get ranged bonuses for high stats? Seems like it's only a penalty in the new version.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Sewing kits are broken in the latest GDA. If you try and reload then you get a message out of XXX. If you unload them you don't get any string. Don't know if bone needles work or not.

edit: Confirmed that sewing doesn't work with bone needles either. Won't reload off of sinew as well. I'd assume plant fiber is the same way.

Same thing with lightstrips.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Belasarius posted:

is there an up to date basic survival guide? I'm having trouble getting lots of clean water.

Just get two bottles and a hotplate. Fill one bottle from a toilet or whatever then purify it in the craft menu.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I kind of wish it wasn't so easy to just find books and read up to like 8 in every skill.

Martial Arts would be neat if it wasn't useless to have multiple styles. Maybe if there were like super styles like fist of the north star poo poo but I dunno martial arts just doesn't seem worth it.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Honestly the book stuff in cataclysm is my least favorite part of the game. It's so pointless to have skill loadouts and stuff when every skill in the game can be increased to super levels with a couple books. It's not even hard to find useful books on a new character just time consuming to read them all.

I just made a starting loadout with most skills at post bookread levels because it gets to the game faster without dealing with the several days of book reading.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Is there a way to bust reinforced glass? It says breakable but none of the weapons I've ever tried works.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Huh this is certainly new some book on a chimera mutagen. So what if it's apparently test logs dated the day before the apocalypse it sounds rad as gently caress.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

People keep talking about setting up lights and stuff in houses and basements but how do you do that? There's no electronics craft that makes light other then a flashlight or lightstrips and neither of those work as flood lights.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

If anyone can play the game without nightvision I would be amazed. I never go without that.

Not to mention it's worth it for the increased chance of mutating advanced night vision and stuff.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

People have been making guns in less then ideal situations for years and years. It's not a complicated thing when you have access to modern materials.

I don't like how the crafting menu is cluttered with forge only things anyway so cluttering up with basic guns seems unnecessary.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

With Marksmanship 3 and Archery 3 I'm still missing over 80% of the time with my crossbow. Are ranged weapons really this ineffective?
My quarterstaff is *drastically* more effective, I haven't run into any situations I can't bash my way out of yet.
(Thinking of making a lajatang but it seems to be a major speed hit for a marginal damage increase)

Well your skills are only good if you aren't over encumbered or have massive penalties. It's easy to get upto like -8 to shooting skills with a few pieces of clothing.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Anticheese posted:

Nope. Someone did an interest check earlier, but nothing came of it.

LPing a text based rogue like just always sounds like a really dumb idea.

I wish there was something going on with Cataclysm cause everyone keeps talking about all these cool sounding poo poo but it never loving comes out and updates like never happen and every loving time I see this thread it's 20 more posts and I get all excited thinking something came out but then nope it's just some horse poo poo drama from people who are only being paid attention to because at some point they typed a line of code for cataclysm once a year ago and gently caress.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Diabetes By Sundown posted:

How difficult of a modding job would it be to remove all the zombies from the game? I like vanilla Cataclysm, but sometimes I get the urge to just explore and build while only worrying about food and not crashing my car, and maybe wild animals. I know it would be incredibly easy since I could just walk through a town with no worries, but it might serve as a fun camping simulator or something dumb like that. Or at least a good way to learn how to do some of the more advanced stuff that I typically die before encountering.

Removing the zombies would be a bad idea given how things spawn. You'd be beset upon by bears, moose, and horrors way earlier then you'd be ready for them.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Felime posted:

I don't know if the code base is still as much of a mess, but at one point "some hardcoded mechanics" was pretty much everything. They might have given modders the ability to add fursuits without recompiling, but I kinda doubt they've done stuff like making map modding not hardcoded and absolutely insane. (Or untangling all the spaghetti code of hard coded stuff.)

People were trying, but cataclysm was never hacked together with dwarf fortress levels of moddibility through data files.

I tried to make a simple mod that added some martial arts and items. Every thing is hard coded in and if you what to change or add anything outside of the most basic items you have to recompile everything. It's impossible to distribute a mod in a way that's simpler than uploading the whole game again. Their "mod support" is a total joke in that you can add clothes to a folder and that's it. Anything more complicated and nope gotta recompile the whole package.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

They've been in for a rather long time, I'm surprised you hadn't seen them.

One of the early developers is a furry, which I imagine is probably why they ended up in, but they were one of the first unusual items to be added.

They used to be way worse because they were also like the best clothing in the game that gave you super dodge bonuses.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

The real question is why do you get a sheet from breaking a glass window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Not to go off on a tangent here but if you want to see a real nightmare you should check out the ios port someone cobbled together. It's really something.