Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Private Speech posted:

Couldn't it just, well, not affect most enemies? Except for fungaloids and such perhaps.

Idk man making a zombie is easy making a zombie that's not weak against acid rain is drat near impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
We've already got some weird useless computer system in the mines that generates only death via the current portal system (enemies come out)

Maybe look into borrowing a bit from that for ideas.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

acidia posted:

Carrion spawning, egg laying, hatching, growing, and crop pests are all quite familiar to me... since I implemented them. Some people like them, some don't, they were necessary mechanic changes I needed to balance the large scale food production of NPC camps. I was essentially told to add bio-signatures as a way of controlling explosive population growth, so I guess I was responsible for that too among other things. Sorry you feel like it screws you over.
Oh then let me be the first to say you are a horrible game dev.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
My personal thoughts are that I don't like any system where I can suddenly go from being able to make meth in 30 minutes to taking a considerably longer amount of time to do the same job because my brain decided it wanted to instead hold enough firearms knowledge to be able to hold my arm straight while shooting. It would just be gamey in a different way where you spend like a month making as much meth as humanly possible so that you never need it again and then you spend a month shooting anything you want until you're pretty much well outfitted and then you spend a month making bombs or whatever until you never need any of those again.

I'm fine with the current system even as videogamey as it feels because I'm playing a video game. Same reason I don't play with filthy clothing enabled or the carrion system enabled; that kind of micromanagement doesn't just feel boring for me to deal with (seriously I could clean out my fridge in real life and indeed I already remove spoiled food from my place of residence in the game habitually just so it doesn't end up in my recipes) but it's also completely unnecessary in a game as abstracted as Cataclysm already is. I'd much rather have some kind of permanent endgame involving stopping whatever evil juju is responsible for all of these zombies/migos and some kind of way to permanently cleanse the earth of the fungal infections. Maybe even some kind of system where you reclaim the scientific equipment sitting around in labs/at the bottom of mines and get right what the scientists get wrong then to have development go towards trying new ways to make the underlying system feel less like a video game because its always gonna be gamey there is no way to make gamers not terrible min-maxing hobgoblins.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 16, 2018

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
That refresh wouldn't take extra time though it would generally speaking just be you loving up at some step in your goal (delicious methamphetamine) and then probably remembering how you hosed it up after the first try because thats basically how human memory works. Its more muscle memory than anything else.

My biggest objection is that this would just give me another thing to micromanage in a game that is already micromanage-y enough as it is. If I sacrificed time and energy to get the components to make meth and also sacrificed time and energy learning to make meth* and I sacrificed time and energy trying to actually make the meth just let me have my drugs in a timely fashion already I'm probably gonna get cornered by a shocker brute and murdered in two days anyway.

edit-
*I recognize your proposed system would at least remove some degree of this stage of the process but really I have no problem with complex tasks like this requiring a recipe I don't know how to make meth in real life and given unlimited time to 'figure it out' from my current status as an idiot I am almost certain I would never actually end up with any meth

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
If the thread will permit me to give some more of my unsolicited opinions the prior conversation has actually given me some thoughts that I'd like to record somewhere.

As a gamer I try to look at Cataclysm and the various mechanics that make it up from the perspective of what incentives a mechanic leads toward and how it rewards the player. Generally I also try to give some thought to how tedious a mechanic is to interact with versus the reward given for overcoming the tedium. On rare occasions whether or not a mechanic makes any sense in the real world will also factor into my internal calculus for whether a mechanic is worth including but I have a firm belief that anything that you want to include for 'realism' needs to also either contribute to incentivizing the player to have more fun or reward the player for not having fun. The reward for not having fun should generally outweigh the time I spent being frustrated in some manner.

For example thinking about the above system where we would no longer hardlock items behind recipes I would personally be incentivized to leave the evac shelter on day one; collect as many bird eggs as possible so that I can live off scrambled eggs for a week and collect the lumps of iron necessary to spend that week making a full suit of armor and a survivors machete. Sure it might actually take me all spring but I have a hell of a better chance to survive doing this than I have exploring and trying to survive in the more dangerous environments looking for parts and tools. A system in which I had limited proficiency points and had some degree of choice means that once I'm proficient at making armor since I lack proficiency in electronics to make a soldering iron and probably can't make a makeshift welder or batteries for it I'll instead just spend all of summer making more suits of armor so that as they are damaged I can easily swap them out. I'll have spent something like two seasons just getting myself out of the early game with as little personal danger as possible and my reward will be that even though I am too slow to adequately flee from danger about 85% of the available in game enemies can no longer actually hope to harm me. This means a significant amount of the challenges I would expect to face have been subverted and in my personal opinion a great deal of the fun derived from cataclysm is from the feeling that you are constantly at risk; gathering up supplies so that you can mitigate that risk in various ways and then finally the late game is feeling like you are no longer vulnerable to the things that you once looked at as beyond your capacity to surmount. I feel like it runs a real risk of taking what fun still exists in the game and incentivizing you not to actually have any of it.

Obviously a player could ignore this incentive the same way I ignore the incentive to make a ton of clothes I don't need until I can have duffel bags and I ignore the incentive to take parts off my car and put them back on until I can make a death-tank but good game design is not putting things in place that the player has to actively ignore in order to experience the actual game as it was intended to be played. The current system of part-shuffling and underwear making is kind of a best-we-can-do compromise (or at least I can't think of a better way to implement it; not that I spend time implementing anything in this game thus far) where it would frustrate players who are playing the game properly and interacting with the crafting and mechanics system to find their character never got any better at it. Unfortunately being able to get better at something in this way means that you can use the systems in ways generally not intended to increase your skills beyond what makes logical sense such as suddenly being able to craft a duffel bag after having made a bunch of gloves. 'Fixing' this* (so that making gloves only makes you better at making gloves; making lockpicks doesn't suddenly mean you can make a knife spear etc.) would mean removing even more abstraction from the game in a way that won't ever really make sense because ultimately the system the entire game works on is hitting a button on the keyboard then some time in real life passes and you either have passed or you have failed. Not wanting to make a hyper-accurate simulation in which the developers analyze a ton of different sewing techniques and materials sciences to try and make some kind dwarf fortress style skills system where you have glove making and storage making (clothes) and storage making (cars) means that we are in a situation where a duffel bag is simply as relevant to a main characters skillset as a balaclava is and somehow the necessary items and skillset for creating both are the exact same.

In my opinion this is a good thing because a more all encompassing skill system would be tedious. It wouldn't actually add anything to the game except more incentive to make a ton of makeshift backpacks and then a ton of footrags and then a ton of handwraps and on and on without actually providing any kind of reward for the player outside the bounds of what he can actually do with the system we already have. It is unfortunate that this means the early game has a tedious route to success but again I view it as a best of both worlds scenario where we are paying tribute to the fact that in real life people had to actually innovate based on prior experiences (for example learning to make a duffel bag when previously they had only hobo bindles or coming up with some unique invention by having life experience with other concepts that allowed you carry them over into unrelated fields) while also providing skill books for players who don't view the idea of making a ton of makeshift lockpicks and using them on locked doors until you can somehow change out a car battery as a favorable way for their character to survive in the post apocalypse. Obviously my opinions on whether you could actually make something like a suit of armor or methamphetamine without any prior knowledge are already documented here.

I generally like the realism -> reward balance that the game currently strikes by making me explore for books for more advanced recipes and concepts. I feel like it has a good design as far as incentives to play the game as it is meant to be played because when I think of what the goal of cataclysm is I think about exploring towns for resources and combating supernatural creatures for ownership of those towns and resources. I generally like the current system as a whole as a result and when I'm playing I'm usually having fun doing these things even if I die and have to reset my whole world and start over again from scratch. In my view it makes my success more legitimate that I had a hundred failures before I finally hit upon that lucky overpowered item drop that lets me get my death-car up and running so I can start selectively engaging with the risks and dangers of the game because failure was always a real possibility and from a roleplaying perspective the idea that while I can't make meth or a suit of armor on my own; so long as I had no stardew valley to distract me and dedicated instructions that didn't use too many hard words, I could possibly accomplish what I sought out to do feels close enough to how I'd hope a hypothetical real life zombie survival situation would go (lmao I know but let me have my fantasies that is what games are about!) that I am generally satisfied when my character actually does it and I don't feel like at any point in the process I got my reward cheaply.

While this has obviously gotten far outside the boundaries of what anyone is proposing as far as I am aware I just wanted to write all of that because it is the exact same basis for why I think the game cataclysm is worth me investing my time and energy into playing and why I think several of the mechanics introduced in these more modern builds don't work. They aren't generally being implemented with the philosophy that anything put into the game to make it more realistic better also make the game more fun or needs to be balanced with some kind of reward for interacting with the systems. Anything that is put in to make the game simpler on day one should be balanced with something that makes me more hungry to go out and see what is just past that next forest. Obviously the current configuration of the game has its flaws and some day I hope to be able to leave my mark on the game to address these flaws but I genuinely feel like if the above were kept in mind for most of the design decisions being made there really wouldn't be any need for me to ever touch it. I think Cataclysm stands as a wonderful game but I can feel it getting less wonderful with each passing build and that genuinely discourages me from trying to figure out how to actually make it compile; mapping out some of the more arcane systems preventing us from having batch-disassembly or a system in which we could actually restore power to previously existing homes because when I think about what really needs changed I just end up with a list of poo poo I'd rather take out wholesale because it doesn't add anything but keystrokes at the end of the day.

*to step outside of our analysis of the above proposed changes to item crafting; since I am well aware that nobody but myself is even talking about whether we should be able to make simple clothes until we make duffel bags.

Edit- In retrospect I'd probably be able to be proficient enough by making improvised welders and batteries from car-battery-acid that I'd be able to repair my armor but you get the gist.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 16, 2018

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Rockopolis posted:

I am super tired and greatly amused by misreading that as "armor made from methamphetamine".

It just makes the zombies bite faster D: Might as well be covering myself in bath salts for all the good this is doing me!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

I'm not really bothered by an unrealistic progression, my point was just more about how there are gaps in the game's tech tree where you can't make a whole bunch of items yourself and have to scavenge them, meaning a "no cities" playthrough will stop really early on the tech trees and prevent you from getting a myriad of useful tools.
I'm fine with them unrealistically blowing through eras of human advancement or winding up with a laser cutter you built from scratch, since playing fast and loose to make things more fun is what drew me to the game in the first place (see also the aforementioned contrast of grognard "realism" vs cyberdeathmobile sim). I'm more about the ability to craft your way up the tech tree (even as an optional "no scavenge" mode rather than a core rebalance), and less concerned with how realistic it is.

Sounds like a place where adding some features to the mines would be very useful; especially for getting rare earth metals for those solar panels.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
So I'm playing a newish experimental and they changed the color of shocker brutes from blue to white. Not a huge deal after the initial surprise when one snuck up on me but in case anybody hadn't realized yet that might not be a harmless skeleton coming your way.

Personally I don't love shockers simply because the most effective way to combat them prior to having a dedicated vehicle is to set your pants on fire and then stand completely still while it electrocutes you and that just doesn't seem intuitive to me but whatever it worked and that's all I can ask for.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
So I did a little testing and found that I was generally wrong and shockers really aren't so bad with a bit of melee skill and a cudgel; hell I almost took out a shocker brute after the two test shockers I spawned. The problem is I'm always so weighed down with firefighter clothes or armor that I'm not getting my attacks in quickly enough and a first day survivor with no equipment is actually better equipped to handle them then I expected. I don't really know if this changes my opinion on the matter since the combo of a ranged attack (making luring them very unappealing) and the fact that shockers/brutes so often spawn in crowded hordes means that losing the armor for the confrontation is kind of a no go but it is definitely something I'll take into account from now on.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Trip report from the latest experimentals:

The good news; they fixed not being able to defrost clean water that had become frozen.

The bad news; They still haven't fixed not being able to defrost food with a charged cooking unit and hotplate. Hope you like keeping a brazier on your person and starting fires all winter!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I haven't ran across a chemlab yet so its possible that works but a kitchen unit is definitely not working for me for making frozen food not frozen anymore.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
It is possible this is an artifact from me carrying over an older save?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Okay so I've got a hotplate with 200 charge in my inventory and I'm activating the pot to reheat the food. No dice. Almost certain this is just a weird save juju thing at this point.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 6, 2018

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Do you not have to use the hotplate while having access to the pot, as opposed to the other way around?

Holy loving poo poo that worked

Now I can defrost my cake and eat it too!

Edit- further testing shows at the kitchen unit works the same way. Select it and select 'use the hotplate' with access to a pan or pot. Angry Diplomat you've put out the great fire that threatened to consume everything in its path with your honeyed words :)

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 6, 2018

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Coolguye posted:

i finally found one only to realize that activating a FAK now just disassembles it.

you actually must locate antibiotics for really bad day now.

If you take infection resistant you have something like an 84% chance that it heals before infection finally kills you. Downing multivitamins should also increase this somewhat. Might be possible to survive just squatting in a cold bathroom for nine hours.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

break-up breakdown posted:

battery recipe just got ripped out anyway

Is there at least something new in its place or is this a gigantic middle finger to makeshift welders.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

DawnOfMinstrel posted:

Apparently, we're nearing 0.D release, at least according to the forums. There's also a survey about what people want in 0.E.

Fix zombies getting into cars when they are pointed diagonally.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I don't think this can be fixed in the current system. Car tiles occupy world tiles, and when they are pointed at 45deg, they expose diagonal paths. Maybe a check that says "if this tile couldn't be accessed while pointed at 90deg, it can't be accessed at all"? Not sure how the hell you would make that work with open/close doors and destroyed tiles.

It would be a gigantic effort for sure but since we implemented freezing toilet water I no longer have any patience for my car magically growing holes in the armor when my car isn't pointed in a cardinal direction. Devs can have all the realism or none of it :colbert:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Speaking of dumb changes to the food system it is generally better to go run over a zombie child and eat his powdered candy stick than it is to work hard and try to grow crops to survive.

I challenge anyone in support of this to try and fill up on powdered candy stick.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I cannot survive for more than three days, I always end up biting off more than I can chew doing something very mundane like looking through houses for some books.

Literally every newbie guide I've found has said to make Knife Spears which I heard were pretty nerfed, is there any better strategies to not dying other than playing super ultra safe? My knowledge of general game strategy starts to fall off after I get access to Wooden Spears and the plank armor for arms/legs

Starting with some fabrication skill is a decent move. Make 2 by 4's into armor for your arms and legs. Also always have a pot-helmet unless you find something better (pretty much any helmet). In the early game working cars are more like a sniper rifle than they are transportation, once you find a working car your first thought should be running down any problem zombies nearby or alternatively any migos.

Edit- after your initial area is clear it's mostly a matter of fulfilling a shopping list a couple hundred items long before you can properly be self sustaining. Congrats you basically won.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The ultimate zombie killing trick is to get a proper lighter, take your pants off and drop them on the ground. Some zombies are smart enough that they won't walk into a fire (most aren't though) but no zombie will ever suspect your pants of doing any harm. When a zombie steps on your pants you light them on fire under its feet. Not so smart now are you zombie.

Edit- If you cross paths with a zombie hulk pick the nearest house, lure it inside and burn the house down.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 25, 2019

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Starting fires takes time now, especially in windy or rainy conditions, and trying to do that specific trick seems to get you Fist of the North Star'd by the zombie you're trying to burn since it gives them a ton of free hits on you, which causes pain, which slows you down, which gives them more time to hit you, etc etc.

Yeah but if the zombie coming after you is bad enough literally none of this matters because you probably live instead of probably die.

Edit- except if it's raining. That matters quite a great amount but not because you don't get the fire lit but because the fire is put out. Plan accordingly.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 25, 2019

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

quote:

Describe alternatives you've considered

The battery system as-is works well enough, but it's pretty abstract and has needed a serious upgrade for a while. Since electrical tools can already accept battery magazines no problem, this is the logical conclusion. This solution involves no new C++ code, only JSON.

That's not an alternative you've considered.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
It was cute that I could turn a lemon a tin can and a butter knife into a battery and it felt pretty balanced too.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
If they added a level 1 or level 2 electronics recipe that let me hook up a bunch of small batteries/big batteries/whatever to be used in tools that aren't strictly compatible I'd be a lot more accepting of this change and you could probably get that done with some real-life know how so it ought to be right up the designers alley.

Edit- also I havent messed around with the game since this change for all I know they already did.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Schools are pretty nice for having a pretty good chance of picking up armorsmithing books and advanced electronics books I consider them worthwhile.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Honestly just the fact that libraries tend to have zombie hulks and shocker brutes* and schools tend to have zombie kids with delicious powdered candy stick I much prefer clearing the school. Especially if I have a decently armored car.

*I have since reviewed that shocker brutes aren't as strong as I once thought and I have concluded I still loving hate them as an enemy type and would that I had the know-how they would be significantly changed

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Should I play worlds with NPC's enabled? I know "should" is a weird phrase to use, but does it make the game more interesting?

e: I guess on that note, what are some good mods to enable?

Foldable shopping carts.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

are there any new solutions to inventory bloat, or do you have to rely on restraining your hoarding impulses?

4 new kinds of batteries.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
For my own part I play Cataclysm to pretend I'm desperately surviving with my wits and a bit of luck. It makes those rare moments where you seek out a safe living in a well stocked safehouse seem cozy rather than tedious. The thing is, as far as penalties for wearing dirty clothes go, I am unconvinced your average desperate survivor is gonna care at all. It's the end of the earth! Sometimes that means wearing dirty pants!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Well fungal towers definitely exist so I'll just ramble about them for a bit. They will more often than not spread the fungal infection into the town proper and in fact for very VERY short periods of time, such as on the first day, regular zombies pathological hatred for fungal zombies can be used as a good chaos buffer to get some otherwise inaccessible looting done.

That said unless something major has changed the fungal towers can be destroyed but not cleansed from the soil and thus in the long term it's untenable to live anywhere near one because of FPS death, can't sleep due to poofing noise etc.

Also your character can and will be infected by getting too close to the fungal spores without 'proper' environmental coverage. What's environmental coverage? Like dust masks and rubber shoes and stuff. It's represented by a single number under an item's description between 1 and 7 iirc? 7 is better. What is enough protection to avoid fungal infection? Good question I think I spent like an hour while drunk trying to Google this out, and now of course I don't remember. I think it has to be full body protection though so you need environmental coverage on your shoes legs waist arms head and hands, a hazmat suit can work for this, though if you get in a real fight or zombies pass diagonally through your supercar walls then the encumbrance makes you a dead man.

Finally if you do get fungal infected you start puking spores so you can't sleep (how fun) then you have to find antifungal medicine from a pharmacy or whatever. Unlike 20 use antibiotic iirc you get 5 uses of this. Plan well.

Some unanswered questions I have re: environmental coverage, if you have a hazmat suit on I'm pretty sure it counts as a helmet, does that protect the player's mouth by default or does the player need a gas mask/dustmask as well?

What is the minimum environmental coverage to not get fungal infected?

What would be the best outfit for both not dying to weird diseases and occasionally fighting a zombie out of your car.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 18, 2020

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
More so than the fact that fungal infection chance is particularly high I rate them as must avoid simply because in the off chance that you do get one it's so damned annoying to actually get healthy again.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Well apparently item spawns have been significantly increased so maybe it is gonna eventually be no big deal but in older builds by the time you have easy access to anti fungal pills it often meant you have the means of visiting a good number of pharmacies/hospitals and usually by that point if you're so inclined you can usually just drive far around the fungal towers anyway. For me the annoyance is when there is a fungal tower near your starting town and thus you don't have any of those means and if you get infected your odds of putting a proper car together and getting lucky on your first pharmacy were pretty low. Those pharmacies usually had a ton of strong zombies around on day one (another welcome change is that with the new builds apparently we'll be seeing fewer of these early on) it was no peach to tackle more than one or two pharmacies in short bursts on the first day anyway so you really couldn't expect to raid and have certainty of sucess. Once you can adequately supply yourself you are correct that it's not annoying at all, other than the fact that getting a fungal infection in the first place means you willingly spent time in an area where your processor was slowly choking itself to death on fungal spore calculations and if you can adequately supply yourself with fungal medicine you probably didn't need to be in 'fungal town' as I call it to begin with.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 18, 2020

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Meanwhile an actual infection infection does have the recovery phase but there are also more than one way of cleansing it from your body. Specifically you can try and boost your health stat with multivitamins and those occasional syringes you can find that just say 'injecting this makes you feel tough!' when you use them. There is an option for putting a strong immune system on your character during character generation which increases your chances of recovering without actually having to do anything, and of course all survivors have a baseline chance of just getting better without doing anything at all. IIRC this is not so for fungal infections. The penalties for recovering from having a regular infection are also mostly just pain and nausea which while annoying probably won't result in the kind of annoyance that puking up fungal spores in the middle of trying to craft or sleep or drive will. (specifically the annoyance me having hit the button to re initiate sleep/whatever every two seconds)

Basically if there was some kinda fungus tea I could make that would keep the symptoms down I'd be a lot less down on fungal starts in general. Infection can be almost entirely avoided if you are a bit savvy to how the game tracks health and worst case if you are really really sure that you won't find any kind of disinfectant (another good change, medkits now have disinfectant which makes them worth less when fully infected but worth way more as preventative because instead of two uses on a deep bite you get ten, also happy to hear some of these will start in survivor shelters) but if you are certain there is none around or whatever you can just start a fire and cauterize the wound and take a half-decent shot at fixing the problem entirely at the cost of a ton of pain and if it doesn't work the wound gets way way worse much faster. Thus Regular infections have things you can do about them from day one with nothing more than what you start with in your pockets. A fungal infection has as best I know exactly one cure. Maybe two if you count eating fungicide which I honestly don't remember if that works. Finding one specific item in a game so dependent on random number generation is a pain and I'd much rather be exhibiting symptoms of a regular infection if I had to make a choice than a fungal one especially if I have to actually travel to find locations I'd expect to see antifungal medication.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 18, 2020

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Downloaded the latest experimental and gave it a go, generally positive experiences to report.

Feeding yourself is absolutely still hosed up though and I question if any of the big changes to the cooking and eating systems thus far have actually substantially impacted balance. I'm definitely expected to hit more buttons now to accomplish the same basic goal and finding food wasn't particularly hard but eating feels so much less useful now my character just won't stay full. Six oranges should be pretty filling!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Coolguye posted:

it will be in the moment but that is absolutely not satisfying you for long, and considering the compressed timescale of the game i'm sure that's part of the point.

The fact that we went from everything being simulated at like 20 day seasons or roughly x3 speed to this more realistic much longer timeframe means I should be noticing that I'm being notified that I'm hungry less not more :colbert:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I really don't object to longer seasons but for example I just ate 600 calories worth of biscuits, a whole box, about an hour into my first day and didn't even change from peckish to full. I'll be very happy if this gets tuned back toward sanity.

I might do a write up on butter, I think it should probably have more use as a cooking ingredient since eating it raw appears to do nothing to fill a person.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I actually don't necessarily have a problem with this new food system but I'm eating all the way up to engorged and I should be stuffed like post-Thanksgiving 'not hungry for 12 hours' style engorged and instead I'm not even asleep again before I'm trying to eat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Compromise item let me strap a feed bag onto my character's ever churning maw and then let me have a quick button to stand over a tiles worth of food and blend it up and dump it all in the bag as a nutrition slurry so I can go about my day exploring and seeing zombies.