Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
It kinda reminds me of this one guy I used to know who would lose his poo poo about furries if you ever played any non human character in Smash Brothers. People touching their dick somewhere else shouldn't mean that nobody gets to be Donkey Kong and do the grab/carry off the stage thing, that was the best.

Also you would basically have to remove every single possible thing in the game if you don't want to weird internet fetishists to creep over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
So what do fleet footed and road runner actually do? I always take Fleet footed because I wanna to go real fast all the time, but I don't actually notice a speed difference on even terrain. Unless every terrain is actually even terrain? I still have green levels of speed going over rubble so I don't know what the gently caress.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
Aw poo poo need to pay way more attention to the changelogs. They split the martial arts starting perks up into a few different ones so you can choose from every style now. That is infinitely better than hoping an NPC is not buggy long enough to teach you one or just giving yourself the ultimate martial arts knowledge with the debug menu.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Twenty Drunk Apes posted:

So I went two posts down from the OP and now I think I found who was responsible for the wolf suit and 8+ dodge fox tail

(I hope this doesn't lead to goons freaking out and quitting the game just because a furry is working on it.)

According to that dude's twitter he hasn't actually done anything for cataclysm in months such to the fact that they didn't even mention him in the kickstarter even though his email is still listed as the support mail ingame. I doubt any goons are going to be championing the cause to get him proper credit though. :v:

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
Just to reiterate that swamps are godawful deathtraps, there was a ring of them right around the evac shelter on my latest character and when I tried to get out I fell through a sinkhole into a place with just barely enough dynamite not to be able to bomb my way into the evac shelter's basement.

I just cheated some dynamite in because gently caress that, and when I left the shelter again I pretty much instantly fall back in because the game actually removes the markings for sinkholes that you fell in for some reason.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

PiCroft posted:

A quick question: assuming I was able to get, say, an electrical system working, so you could generate, transmit and utilize electricity, what kind of applications would you like to see?

I can think of a few, such as light sources, charging powered items/UPS, powering certain things like fridges and so on but is there anything anyone would like to see from such a system?

Ability to hook up your wire fences to the grid to make them electric fences? Maybe let you use the range on the stoves like a hotplate? That is about the only thing I can think of that isn't just over the top :science: Though on that note, Red Alert style Tesla Coils.

If we accidentally let a shocker zombie shoot lightning at our generator will it short out the grid? I think that would be a neat thing if you wanted to go that indepth with it.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
So do crowbars still fail to set off alarms anywhere? I accidentally crowbar-ed my way into a bank to escape some zombies and it called down the eyebots on me. I don't think they saw me but is the couple of blocks around the bank a no-go zone forever now or will the robo fuzz back off after a few days?

I mean I'd just shoot them but this character has just started off and I don't actually have access to anything better than a homemade crossbow right now.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
I think vehicles are pretty decently balanced right now actually. They wreck regular zombies but they can't move over to new maps so ants/bees/caves/labs/temples etc are still going to be just as hard if you've never skilled up in any weapon you can carry with you.

Also I don't know what people are talking about with common gas stations, every time I play the station is either right on main street with the bad poo poo or totally nonexistent.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
I like most of the changes I've seen so far, Anitcheese's post up earlier in the thread has literally every objectionable thing I've seen in the game in it and it's basically a list of like 5 things. I haven't really ran into anything that's made me say "there is no hope for Cataclysm, now I can never play it because everywhere I turn will be terrible things".

Also if anyone is an idiot like me and haven't figured it out yet, you can disassemble flashlights into enough components to make a lightstrip which is stationary and only a 3x3 light radius but it lasts for drat ever and lets you have enough light to read/sew/craft by. It's one of the easier electronics recipes too. Also those trash compactors out back of hardware stores let you throw in metal items to get chunks of steel/scrap or turn those things into sheets and frames.

Edit: Also you can actually reliably find pots and pans by going to houses kitchens and can craft your own screwdrivers/woodaxes/whatever tool you always desperately need but can never find and can now spend starting points to get a backpack this is basically the best update.

Tyskil fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 11, 2013

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Inadequately posted:

That said if this becomes an arms race of immature developers and Anticheese getting offended I'm just getting out right now.

You're just thinking small time. Didn't someone say the community was putting in/leaving in stuff just to gently caress with him? If every update is going to be "cool new poo poo plus something for that one goon to hate" then this will probably be the best game of all time if we can convince him to hate cool things.

Though seriously I would prefer it if Cataclysm didn't become mishmash fetish wasteland, I was under impression that the experimental builds were just slapped together out of all the different resources people have put in and will be trimmed down/edited/tested for the actual "update."

Edit: You can light wooden objects on fire without having to put a stick on them/bust them up now, as I learned when I accidentally burned down the house with all my stuff in it because I fatfingered the keyboard and activated the matchbook instead of the crowbar. :saddowns:

Tyskil fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 11, 2013

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
I hope ASCII is going to stay as an option. I'm not the kinda person who wants every videogame to be ASCII all the time but I thought it worked rather well in this game and the new tiles are kinda all over the place.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

It is. Although I did see someone working on an square ASCII tileset, which means you can have square letter tiles and a non square interface screen. It rules.

Yeah that sounds pretty cool.

Also do NPC's get hungry/tired/thirsty? I turned them on for the hell of it and now I've got a buddy who is doing a surprisingly good job of watching my back and I don't want him to suddenly keel over because he never drinks anything. Should I give them food and water or is that just a waste?

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
For fucks sake is there some way to make fungaloids/fungal spires not spawn on worldgen or something? They aren't even a good challenge it's just "you have royal jelly and gas mask so you win" or "you don't have either of those so you immediately lose."

Edit: I'm not even trying to moan about it being too hard here it's not impossible to have a filter mask handy its just that even if you DO have the stuff to deal with it's incredibly boring.

Tyskil fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 17, 2013

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

There's no way to prevent spires specifically, unless you hack them out of the game file, but they (and most other monster-type enemies) are turned off if you activate the "classic zombies" option in the menu. Kind of ruins the fun to me, though.

Yeah I actually like the other things because they are not a choice between a bunch of busywork with no reward besides less funagloids or instadeath.

Also did grabbing and pulling things just get added in this version? It's pretty neat to just pull broken down car chassis into a ring around my base to slow down the zombies.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Inadequately posted:

Has combat been rebalanced? Melee attacks seem to be doing a bit more damage, and arrows quite a bit less than I remember. I do wish archery leveled up quicker, but at least now I can clear out a street with a hammer on day one.

Archery hasn't been nerfed so much as made more complicated. Used to be you could just turn any wooden object into 10 free arrows and that was basically the only ammo you could craft, making archery amazing in the early game and godawful against anything with damage resistance. Now when you craft a wood arrow shaft you are just making a blunt stick, you have to craft heads to put on them to make them decently lethal.

On the upside you can now craft exploding Rambo arrows and make your own steel arrows so archery is actually pretty viable for most of the game, just more complicated.

Also shopping carts are the loving best. Is there some way I can get multiple shopping carts and rope them together so I can be snaking through the city with some kind of ridiculous hobo caravan?

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
I have just had the luckiest start I've ever had. Right outside the evac shelter was a bunch of dead dudes with backpacks, enough drugs to kill an elephant and a machete. One of the first buildings in the town is a grocery store where I pick up a shopping cart and a weeks worth of canned goods, the next building is a pawn shop where I trade my backpack up for a military rucksack and my machete for a loving broadsword. Then crossed the street to a hardware store and grab some supplies, just to go to the parking lot around the corner and find a perfectly workable scooter that I welded my shopping cart to to create my own shop n' scoot. Then I found a gun store with enough .45 and buckshot to clear the whole town if I wanted to.

I've blatantly cheated before and had characters start off worse that this, I'm just blindly moving him forward now out of morbid curiosity to see what the death of the luckiest man who ever lived is going to be like.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Tirius posted:

Do USB drives serve any purpose? I've checked the wiki, but I haven't been able to find any use for them.

I've seen USB drives with "hackPRO" software on it before but I'm not sure what it does besides the obvious.

So while I was diving into houses to get enough batteries to weld another shopping cart onto my scooter I found a grenade that had it's name spelled like that one developer, Granade. I'm saving it for a rainy day but I half expect it to just pop confetti when I throw it.

Also holy poo poo I had forgotten just how fun driving in this game is. Snaking through the field doing drive-bys on bears never gets old.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Tirius posted:

What's the best way to deal with smokers anyway? I've honestly never done anything but run from them.

Filter masks. You can make them out of some rags and plastic bottles and I think one or two points of tailoring skill. It provides enough environmental protection that you can walk right through smoke and never have a problem.

Tailoring is basically the most important skill people never take, honestly. Properly reinforced clothing is basically the quickest and easiest armor to get in this game, and being able to hem every article of clothing you find so it fits will seriously cut down on your encumbrance.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
Also, for everyone who is like me and doesn't want to waste precious (and often bionics powering) alcohol you should seriously learn to love the spraycan flamethrower. The parts for it are easy to find and you can reload it by siphoning the 2% of fuel left in any of the random wrecks across the city so it's not like it's hard to get.

Shooting it leaves a 3x3 block of flame that lasts a few minutes wherever you point it, and you can shoot there again to increase the size and lethality of the fire. When I need to kill zombie hulks I just sprint through the city trailing fire until it eventually burns to death, the only problem is that sometimes zombies have explosives on them and they will blow up but that is the price you pay for convenience!

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah I've always liked the way Cataclysm uses ASCII, sometimes they actually make things that look vaguely like things and that's pretty neat. The current tiles are just really hard to understand especially when it comes to things like vehicles (Is the door open or closed? Who knows!) and it seems to be a mishmash of so many different art styles that stuff always looks kind of weird compared to the things beside it.

So hey what's the deal with piercing weapons? I have been running around for a while with a knife spear and it's doing alright but as far as I know there is nothing between knife spear to awl pike as far as damage goes. Is there some point to piercing weapons that makes them actually worth using over cutting?

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah recoil is super important now, and you should always check the indicator before you try shooting because you can get recoil from other things than shooting! Reloading and driving while shooting give medium amounts of recoil since it's the general "make you worse at shooting" stat.

Also cars will explode now if you ram into something too hard, which I just learned by smashing my car into some wreckage at 100 mph. The resulting fireball threw me from the car since I never bothered to make sure it actually had a seatbelt and I died on impact with the wall. The fireball took out a lot of zombies though!

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
Well if you particularly want a specific mutation you can just wizard mode it and give yourself whatever mutations you want. I don't really get the feeling that mutations are really supposed to be a progression thing because they don't necessarily make your character better, just different. There are a few Mutations that are only positive like long tail or feathers or something but those have really high visibility which is going to be a big negative when NPCs are actually fleshed out. Honestly the mutations being random is a good thing because if you had perks which were better/as good as mutations but had no downsides, you would never wind up with any negative traits ever.

Also the game kinda encourages savescumming as it is what with the nature of having permadeath. If you are going to reset and reload because you botched an implant you are probably going to reset and reload if you die in acid rain.

Strudel Man posted:

edit: What is the deal with skewers? The recipe for fire sticks calls for them, as does 'smoked meat,' and contextually it seems like it should be nothing more than a simple wooden, well, skewer, that should be easy to make. But there doesn't seem to be a recipe to make it, and I don't think I've ever actually seen one.

Skewers are like rags but made out of wood. 'a'pply a bladed object to something wooden and you will get a good amount of them. They are also super useful because turning one 2x4 into 20 skewers lets you stretch a fire out for significantly longer! This is also how you get plastic chunks/leather patches to repair non cloth items.

Tyskil fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 23, 2013

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

The fact that mutations are not a system of progression is exactly my point. I think the game could use a system of progression other than simple advancement in skills. Hence, perks, which could offer different effects than mutations do, and so be a complementary system.

The dude above me already replied to this pretty good but yeah, trying to put in hard goals into this game will literally turn all its strengths against it. Most of the people that like this game like it because it's so freeform.

They are planning to do missions and factions with the NPCs so there will probably be structure, but what this game needs isn't structure so much as content.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
I don't know, I don't think Cataclysm seriously needs a big "game over you win" screen. More content and more reason to explore sounds great but I'm a little confused at the people who want this game to have an actual defined end. What happens to your world file when you save the world, does it just get deleted or something? Will there be multiple characters worth of "you did it you stopped all the apocalypses!" scenarios?

Also I forgot to mention to the guy who was unhappy with random mutations: If you are good at first aid you can craft specialized mutagens which will guaranteed give you something out of the specific mutation tree you want and I believe they have a smaller chance of giving you terrible mutations.

Edit: I guess the reason I'm not seeing why Cataclysm needs to be beatable is because I don't really play it to beat it. I just want to run around in a messed up open world and mutate into weird poo poo and cruise around high as gently caress in a homemade killdozer. The defined end goal is have a cool time until my own idiocy kills me.

Tyskil fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 24, 2013

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

PiCroft posted:

Are aluminium cans used for much? I have a ton of them left over from my alcoholic survivor and I'd like to do something with them.

You can use them with ammonia to make your own batteries! They are super useful in that regard so I will usually pick a house to be the "can house" where I throw all my loose cans and then never come back for them because I die before I learn the recipe.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

PiCroft posted:

ah thanks.I've never needed to make new batteries, I'm usually leaving piles of them behind I have so many.

Has anyone tried using the farming system yet? What can you do with it at the moment?

Batteries get more useful if your character is big on electronics and you are carrying around homemade laser rifles and such.

Farming is really barebones right now so basically all you can do is 'a'pply a hoe to some dirt to make a dirt mound, then 'a'pply a seed to it and wait for it to grow into a plant. I think you can also fertilize it but I've never actually needed to farm yet so I have no idea how long things take to grow.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
So the experimental builds have changed up unarmed fighting styles so they are no longer a hidden weightless "weapon" and there's just a little thing next to your wielded weapon telling you what style you are using, but you can no longer actually look at the styles. Do they still do the same things as the old versions? On the upside you can now actually wield unarmed weapons with your Karate Master character.

Also they took out the Shaolin and deadly venoms styles, no more ridiculous trillion punch shenanigans. :( Maybe we will get styles for different weapon types now though. Every bladed weapon is a rapier if you are a fencing master!

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Let's hope it will also be way, way easier to get rid of, because having unstoppable fungus take over the whole map is not my idea of a fun time.

Honestly you know what would be great? Selectable enemy types. Only classic zombies is boring but if they are going to say "hey lets make the unfun monsters significantly less fun!" I'd like the ability to just not have them in my worldfile. I have a sneaking suspicion that would interfere with some developers favoritest pet code they spent weeks on just to make sure that nobody can ever have a character for more then 4 days tops, though, so it'll probably never happen.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Strumpie posted:

Kevin personally feels like Bionics should be completely removed but is smart enough to know that his personal preferences aren't necessarily in line with everyone else's so it stayed in.

Personalised spawn options would be nice, I'd like to see a lot of current binary options become choices. A good example would be the professions changing from these pre programmed choices to a customisable set of options that adjusted the points required dynamically. Making your own unique character 'class' with bionics or mutations and starting equipment would be pretty cool.

Yeah I know I was exaggerating for effect.

I like your idea though, you can find flyers for things like bionics and such in the world so being able to pick and choose your starting ones would make sense.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I'm usually a sucker for permadeath games with progressive unlocks but that would probably kill Cataclysm for me. Being told "you don't get to do this until you perform arbitrary task 30" would just lead to having to make super efficient characters to grind up all the unlocks and by the time I actually get to make a character that has the stuff I want I'm sick of the game for exactly as much time as it takes for a new update to come out and break save compatibility. Then I get to do it again!

As it stands right now I just make a lovely low point character and then buy bionics and mutations through debug until I have Robot-Spider-Birdman or whatever and I would rather character creation have more options so I don't need to do that, not less options so I always need to do that.

Also yeah I usually reset worlds out of habit from back when not doing that would give you strange map glitches so that would be double terrible if it was tied to worldfile.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
Does having higher strength make weapons faster? I know you can make larger weapons count as one handed by having high enough strength. Sledgehammers say they are useless for anyone other than high strength characters but I can't tell if that just means there's a damage nerf on it unless you have so much str of if you can actually swing it faster.

Speaking of things being one/two handed, is there any plans to eventually be able to have a shield? with the amount of things you can forge and craft already I'm surprised that you can't just put some leather straps on a road sign or something, the game already has a "shield" weapon property but so far the only thing that has it is manhole covers and those aren't exactly convenient to carry around.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
So in the latest nightly I fatfingered some keys and instead of cutting up a boot for leather I put a knife in the boot. Is that just free storage for knives or what?

Edit: Also I assume the fact that there are spores everywhere in the fields but no fungaloids/spire nearby has something to do with that fungaloid overhaul that was mentioned?

Tyskil fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 21, 2013

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
In the vein of things we'd like to see in Cataclysm I'd like to be able to attach a sling to a gun and just have it count as wearable torso encumbrance instead of having to shove it in my backpack/pants because that's where all my spare cigarette lighters go but I need the volume! Besides if you are going whole hog into ranged combat torso encumbrance isn't that bad anyway.

Yeah most of that changelog looks okay but when I read further down people were complaining that fungal disease is too hard to get, you should get infected if you have any exposed skin 100% guaranteed! Also Fungal biome should spread everywhere within 2-3 days unless you spent literally the whole game beating it back!

Seriously let people have their nothing but fungus apocalypse as long as there's some way for me to play the game without constant 24/7 Super Mario shenanigans.

Edit: They should really expand the "only classic zombies" option to something other than a binary all or nothing choice.

Edit 2: It's also literally impossible to get rid of! In the latest nightly I shot down a fungal spire and all the fungal enemies near it and then burned literally every patch of fungal ground surrounding it that I could find, then put down a tent and went to sleep only to wake up surrounded by patches of fungal bloom stretching two map tiles away from me. The next closest fungal bloom is literally on the edge of what the reveal map debug will show me so either its impossible to stop or it will cover hundreds of map tiles in one night.

Tyskil fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 22, 2013

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Spaceking posted:

EDIT: And then I went back underground to get bionics, came back up and every single one vanished. Evidently wading around in sewage and getting a faceful of dynamite makes you hallucinate swarms of dragonflies. That or the monster spawning system for the nightly build is hosed.

If they were nearby when you went underground its possible that they just got teleported underground, sometimes the game has problems keeping track of who should be where when you switch maps, especially if you do it rather rapidly.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
So is there any plans to actually have containers contain things instead of granting a flat volume upgrade? I really don't need all my food and such during melee combat so being able to throw off your backpack full of not immediately useful stuff and free up the torso encumbrance would be very nice.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Infinite Monkeys posted:

What the hell's happening, all of my stats were reduced to zero and I can't move. I also took huge damage to every body part for some reason.

All of those things in red in the top right can reduce stats if they are severe enough, and stuff like being "wasted" and having a cold probably isn't helping. And it all stacks.

Also if you didn't know drinking alcohol actually dehydrates you!

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
The dark secret to cataclysm is just use the debug menu to bypass the dumb things. Normally I'd say a game is not worth it at that point but I can't think of anything other games that let you be cyborg-spiderman-hulk firing grenades from your every modification possible gun while riding a custom killdozer mototcycle.

Some of it it probably just taste though. I actually like books being useful and things like that but I play with skill rust off because a crazy survivalist forgetting how to make a bow because he hasn't in three days is retarded.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
Cataclysm is a very poorly balanced game yeah. The disadvantage that says you dislike vegetables like a picky kid fails to mention that if you eat a vegetable it will literally crush your soul because vegetables are worse than raw sewage. While we are on that subject someone please mod out fungaloids thanks.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
So I hear you can drop a bunch of stuff really quickly if you somehow drop a worn container and stuff equal to its volume at the same time, but how do you do that? Going to the advanced inventory moving menu thing doesn't let me pick multiple things at the same time and doing it through multidrop doesn't seem to work at all. Dropping a briefcase I'm holding takes like 12 in-game seconds and dropping a briefcase +20 volume of random poo poo at the same time takes long enough for the tough zombie across the room to charge me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

While this isn't actually an answer to your question, I thought briefcases only gave you hand encumbrance, which does not in fact give the expected penalty to melee combat. Just ranged, I think.

Yeah that's why I'm so used to packing around briefcases but I updated to the latest experimental and it says now that hand encumbrance gives a melee speed penalty now, and I don't think it used to say that but I might be forgetting.

In any case, it would still be nice to know to throw off backpacks for melee/drop hand containers for ranged.