Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Anyone played much on the experimental desert map? I tried it with max size cities and all my characters kept spawning in the same electric car since the game couldn't even generate a shelter. :psyduck:

Is the building placement just buggier in general on the map?
Do really like the idea of wandering an infinite Southwestern suburbian hell (as opposed to the default "New England", which seems more like Wisconsin with the whole missing ocean issue).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
YASD: Forgot I had explosive rounds in my shotgun, used it at point-blank range. :downsgun:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

A recent change that I really like is that all armor values were recently halved. Combined with the 'no Survivor equipment' core-mod it's actually possible to take damage now.
The combat animations (HP bars and such) are really neat too.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Muh? Not sure what you mean here.
There's now a green HP bar for enemies and bits of it fly off as you hit them (in ASCII) and little combat messages ("x is ripped" "your torso is hit") display near your character in addition to the message log.
Maybe it's the latest dev build only? :shrug:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
NPCs wailing on you/zombie bears wielding a .22 casing is always hilarious. On a related note, can they not open metal doors unless in your "party"?
I've found a house with a sweet above-ground shelter area with metal doors and haven't had any random NPCs wander in, though I would always get one after another if I tried to setup a base in a basement or LMOE shelter (or even a random cave in the middle of nowhere). Wish you could just command them to not pickup any items, so you could actually have friendly NPCs in your base.

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 14, 2014

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Reports from a quick look at the latest version:
-new reading rules aren't too annoying (there's also now a penalty for reading in low-light environments so a nice encouragement to actually bother with lamps/candles)
-there are now rollerskates in the game :woop:
-fire stations are awesome (sweet gear/metal doors)

Wish the dino mod replaced the damned zolfs/zombears with dinosarus. Tired of fighting those drat things.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Admiral Funk posted:

Can anyone comment on the whole tetanus thing? I saw that in thread a while ago and it sounded horrible but I don't know what became of it.
Of about 40 characters in recent versions, I think I've had one biker possibly contract tetanus (they kept spasming and collapsing for no reason).
Pretty sure it got toned way down.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Capilarean posted:

The one thing that really needs adressing, in my opinion, is that the difficulty is entirely front-loaded. Surviving the first week can be extremely hard, especially if you don't find the proper gear or start with a suboptimal character, since you simply don't have the tools to deal with what the game throws at you. After that, the challenge more or less disappears, since the game never starts getting tougher and you're just left finding ways to make yourself even more overpowered.

One thing I would like to see is the world becoming gradually more hostile and hosed up. Like, at first you just need to deal with classic zombies, then you start seeing the special types, woodland animals turn to monsters, eventually portals start spawning hell creatures, the weather gets far more extreme, that kind of thing. Really force you to use the skills and resources you've accumulated.
Yeah, you can only really challenge yourself by seeking out labs/outposts etc... Organized bandits/raiders once the factions are off the ground should be interesting. That Necropolis idea is cool if it isn't just a huge slog through hordes of ordinary zombies and has challenging special monsters/obstacles.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Why do people want to remove all watches from the game? :psyduck:
(infinite batteries maybe? I just assume they are all futuristic solar watches)

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

The King of Swag posted:

Holy crap, this is actually a thing? I hope it was added as a joke, because I can't imagine how big a dork you'd have to be to actually want to add that to a game about zombies.
The fedora that the Indiana Jones (Nethack style archeologist) class starts with is indeed tippable. :lol:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

Is there a way to change the viewstyle because the extremely long but very slim view of your surroundings is super disorienting for planning stuff.
I would try messing with the width/height settings in graphics, preferably on the SDL version which supports ASCII fullscreen.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Akoogly Eyes posted:

So, uh, has anyone else ran into zombie bio-operators in the latest experimentals? They're pretty scary. :stare:
Yeah, they're brutal. Killed a character shortly after I found power armor for the first time. Thankfully, they only rarely spawn near military wreckage/dead soldier groups and usually only spawn in military installations.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Hmm, wonder what's new in the latest build....

quote:

Experimental z-level buildings
:woop:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

The King of Swag posted:

They actually still cause fatal crashes in a number of cases (crashes that you may not be able to recover your save from). I'd hold off on activating them until NPCs get their own complete rewrite.
Well, that's good to know. I've had them screw things up before, but I've always been able to just kill them through the debug menu if they start glitching out. Does this not work in some cases? :ohdear:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
So you can hack off a zombies arms and have you follow you around as an NPC character packmule now. :psyduck:

Some guy on the Cataclysm forums posted:

Does it have to be called a Zlave? Was this made by the gimp suit guy?
:lol:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Even from just a "realism" standpoint, it's a bit dumb that this isn't some sort of more-involved Dr. Frankenstein brain operation. Wouldn't your zombie suitcase still try to headbutt and kick or tackle you any time you actually got near it?
"Welp, I can't bite or grab anymore, guess my all-consuming hatred of the living is gone now" :zombie:

Coding NPCs is hard, let's just have this stupid poo poo. :effort:

On an unrelated note, it's sad that's there's Civil War revolvers in this game (two of them!) but no Civil War reenactor starting class. (I cheated together something similar and it was a pretty fun starting class)

Cardiovorax posted:

Nobody can be as unaware as that guy is pretending to be without being a literal child. There's already BDSM gear in the game, he knows what he's doing.
Not to mention the naked woman and gimp starting classes. (yeah I know that class can be either gender, but come on)

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Drevoak posted:

Granade is flat out saying that in order to do this you have to be a psychopath.
Nope.

quote:

I really didn't like the "psychopath only" limitation, it just further reinforces psychopath as a super good trait to have.

Edit: Yeah, military-style cargo bots would be a great reason to raid military outposts and a cool challenging thing to craft in addition to vehicles. The RC car stuff in the game is a good start to this sort of thing. Wonder how difficult coding a shopping cart that behaves like the RC cars would be.

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 28, 2014

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Drevoak posted:

Welp I read that wrong. Definitely not looking foward to the posts on the forums about people modding the game to have female zombie slaves.
Since you have to kill the zombie first, you can already know (or at least assume) their gender by their clothing. Yay! :newfap:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Sticking a riding harness on a giant zombie and riding it around smashing things up is cool.
So how's this going to work exactly? Crafting an equivalent to the minecraft carrot-on-a-stick? (human flesh + fishing rod? :barf:)

It would actually be much better if this sort of thing involved mad science brain surgery to avoid the "Black Knight problem" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eMkth8FWno&t=203s).

Circutron posted:

It's just something iconic they're stealing from The Walking Dead.
So how does this actually work in the source material? The zombies are too dumb to passively resist (cat-in-a-walking-harness style) or still try to ineffectually attack?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I really don't think the zlave thing is some disgusting sexual thing that some nerd is furiously masturbating to.

Cataclysm forums posted:

Sweet! Not only that but we can have an easier zombie pen to keep zombies for RP purposes!
:wiggle:

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 29, 2014

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

The King of Swag posted:

That said, I agree with others that having a doggy backpack or robotic packmule, or hell, a real mule would have been a much better option than zombie slaves. We wouldn't even need to worry about coming up with a better name than zlave, which is just loving horrible from both a creative and connotative angle.
In a similar vein, it would be nice to have some cooler/non-creepy :spergin: options like training/upgrading a random horse into an armored warhorse, and then exploding boomers with your lance in plate armor as Sir KillsYeZombiesALot.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

This except replace lance with flintlock carbine. Gonna dragoon the hell out of those zombies.
Or a Spencer repeater. This way I can finally play time-travelling George Custer vs. the zombies.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

This depends a bit on the spawn mode. In Static mode just kill all the zombies and they'll be dead. In Dynamic zombies will keep spawning, but if you kill enough of them (a lot) eventually the local spawn list will be depleted and you will have cleared the area out.
Zombie animals will keep spawning either way though.
What value do you need to edit to mess with their rarity? Static spawn x 3 is pretty cool, but almost constant zolf packs attacks are stupid.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
What I find really fun is using randomly generated builds that are often terrible, but then giving myself a few items based on my random skills using the debug menu. Makes the start to the game less boring and repetetive (find heavy stick, find basics, find books etc...)

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Got the latest experimental, what the hell happened to no zombie revival/slow zombies? No longer in the default mod list and I don't see it in the mod section of the forum.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
All this talk about silly antitank weapons reminded me of this thing which should really be a craftable item in this game.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Don't you start with a pocket knife anymore?
There's quite a few starting classes that don't get a knife.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
YASD: gently caress NPCs with flamethrowers. :negative: Still they're just too fun to turn off, especially with the new stuff like the refugee camp with actual guards/traders/quest dispensers.

Thought the new locked gun shops were another annoying fun police change, but being able to 1.) spawn inside of them to start and 2.) the ridiculously simple improvised lockpicks has totally changed my opinion.

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 23, 2015

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
e: fb

Speaking of z-levels, has anyone tried setting up a base on the roof of one of the new office towers?

What Cataclysm mallninjas always make me think of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVX8wm_CONM

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 23, 2015

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Is there any quick way to unload full shopping carts?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

The advanced inventory management button, which I think is /
Oh okay, no special trick apart from just emptying your inventory with "," then just moving several stacks? Too bad there is no way to just empty it into a chosen square.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

What!? They took out the vibrator? How will I survive with out a 20 pound plutonium powered massager?
And the mp3 player is now boring and doesn't give you little text updates. ("you rock out to a guitar solo" etc...)

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Dotcom656 posted:

Setting fires inside buildings in order to kill masses of zombies will always be amazing.
Yes, but beware of the Eternally Burning Slowdown Memorial Hospital (which actually wasn't due to me, but instead because of a minefield that hilariously spawned inside the hospital, with the warning signposts just outside its walls)

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

PiCroft posted:

Lockpicks can't be used on them and as far as I know there isn't a way to hack the doors. I haven't had any luck in finding a functional vehicle sadly :(
What? Improvised lockpicks work just fine on the front door. :confused:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Poland Spring posted:

Just use welding torches to cut the bars
Yes but all you need for the improvised picklock is a rock and a piece of scrap metal. (difficulty 0)
Think the lockpicking check is just dex based also.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

zombie dogs and skeleton dogs need to gently caress off forever
Yep, they have a bad tendency of tying down weak new characters long enough for the horde to catch up, even with Romero zombies.

Speaking of canines, I am incredibly glad that zombie wolf spawning has been toned way the gently caress down in the new versions. Remember having a cabin base in previous version get attacked by a zombie wolfpack every other night.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

Shame you can't get a fire truck, that'd be neat. Plus a water hose that let you shoot whatever liquid might be real handy.
The game has both fire trucks and fire engines actually. Spawn it with the cheat menu if you really want to mess with either.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
New run/walk toggle + stamina meter in the latest experimental is pretty cool as is the ability to turn down NPC spawn frequency.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Rrussom posted:

I just got the latest experimental graphics version, and im really digging the Lttp-esque tileset
Speaking of experimentals, the addition of morale boosting instruments is really cool (luring zombies to their deaths with your sweet acoustic guitar playing :black101:), but the spawn density of music stores is way too drat high.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

You can put stuff in things like lockers and dressers right? I haven't played in forever but I swear that was possible, what obstuse key combo is it hiding under?
Don't think you can do anything but just drop items on the same square as the furniture.
Protip: Dressers and such can be dragged around by grabbing them, which took me an embarrassingly long time to learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

How do you run now?

chiefnewo posted:

Aren't you always moving at your maximum possible speed?
You need to be playing one of the new experimentals to have the run toggle. Think it's pretty clever, especially with how it makes mouth encumbrance more important, since it controls your running stamina.