Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Not always. I've had shelter basements which only had a tin of beans and a bandana, and house basements that were completely empty. I've also had house basements with literally half a dozen aluminum baseball bats and around a thousand rounds of ammo, none of which matches any of the guns down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Goddamn it, why is all my meat rotting while I cook with it? I look in the minifridge, see that none of the meat is rotten, go to cook, select nearby meat, and the finished product is rotten. This is even happening with loving dehydrated meat. I even went through all my trunks to make sure I hadn't accidentally stuck some meat in them.

And now it loving happened with vegetable soup too. gently caress it, I'll deal with the goddamn food poisoning. :argh:

e: Also it's a little weird that there's no option for a dome light in a car, if I want to cook in my humvee at night I need to set up a headlight aimed back through the car.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 16, 2014

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

That explains it, then, this is the first time I've made it beyond the first couple days. That's still a bit ridiculous, though.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

To mod a gun, just (a)ctivate the mod you want to apply, it doesn't require any skill.

The lava is just random map generation screwing you over. I've run into those kinds of drops and, perhaps wisely, opted to leave them be.

As for the glass walls, your plan is roughly the same as mine, pits all over. I know you can board up windows, but I have no idea if those count as windows or not.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

whiteshark12 posted:

What did any of these except for the second last one achieve other than making something take longer than before? What does requiring to skim a book to know what it's about need to be in the game, especially since the blurb on the back if a book would be good enough to know what a boom does. I really don't like the spergy direction this game is taking now.

Verisimilitude. :pseudo:

For things like 101 Home Repairs, I can see your point, but obscuring the details for things like the lab reports or AAA guides strikes me as actual useful difficulty.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

On the subject of cars and power, I know that sticking multiple engines in will give you more horsepower than you'll ever likely need, but does the same apply to alternators? Because I was having trouble keeping my mobile base (tool charger, minifridge, kitchen buddy, chem lab, and half a dozen headlights) powered in my easy mode world.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Strumpie posted:

Did you have any solar panels?

Yes, but it was parked in a garage. :v:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

A kung fu hobo is one of the silliest starts, but it's remarkably effective. I mean, you naturally have some synergy with the starting booze equipment and Drunken Master, but it's not the kind of thing you expect to survive the zombie apocalypse.

I'm currently hauling a shopping cart full of books and tools around, swilling cheap wine just before Tiger Styling a zombie's face in.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Someone with Archery 2 and Fabrication 2 can make virtually limitless field point arrows from memory just from sticks and rocks, but I think anything demonstrably better is book-gated, yeah.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Drakenel posted:

So, goons. I hear all the time about how to best way to go is mobile doom fortress, etc. However, I'm a bit wary of cars and how they stop obeying the turn based nature of the game and go continuously. Yeah, its a car, I know, but it's made me prefer to just go on foot.

However, I'm willing to admit that all the tools and resources I have are too much a pain in the rear end to move from location to the next, so It's time for me to build one. I get that I need to have welders and a steel frame to start vehicle construction, but I've no idea what an efficient design would be like. Anyone have advice and suggestions on what to make and where to get the materials? (A steel frame is noticably difficult to find, unless I can somehow find everything to make one.)

I probably don't want the thing to move too fast, just for it to be mobile is all. I'm fine on skills and combat. (the melee style for blades has led my combat knife to taking out hordes on foot with nary a problem.)

You can find most of the parts you need in garages, but if you really want to get crazy, either fix up or entirely disassemble an existing car. My first real good stab at the game (Easy mode, enemy spawn rate 0), I lucked out and found a military humvee that only needed gas and batteries, and wound up extending the back end to hold all my crap.

If all you really want is something to haul junk, you could start with a shopping cart, office chair, or wheelbarrow, Grab it, and go. You can grab and haul anything up to about a motorcycle in size, though I haven't paid attention to see whether there's a speed penalty based on how much mass you're pulling. Keep an eye out for wreckage that consists of one large vehicle and a bigass square of stuff, the bigass square will have cargo carriers, the best thing for vehicle-based storage.

Otherwise, a foot crank will provide the easiest motive power to your stuffmobile, although this isn't viable if you're trying to haul an entire base's worth of gear and amenities around. Electric motors are weak and easy to use, although you're reliant on your supply of batteries or the number of solar panels you can stick to the car. Gas engines come in a wide range from dinky little things you get from taking apart a lawn mower up to giant V12s that'll send you flying across the landscape if you let them. Key point being "if you let them," most of my humvee driving was in the under-30-MPH range. In any case, they'll all charge your car batteries if you connect an alternator and leave them running. A V8 left idling overnight (Continually waking me up) didn't drain much gas and gave the batteries about 50% charge from near flat.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 25, 2014

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, if you have the skill to manage the repair, yanking the controls out of one vehicle to stick in another is viable. Nearly every car you find will have either the wheels, the controls, the seats, or the gas tank and battery destroyed, among other miscellaneous damages.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

The King of Swag posted:

To tell the truth, what I find lacking the most from a game-play perspective, even more important than z-levels, is the ability to pack smaller vehicle in/onto larger ones, and the ability to tow vehicles. Even once you have a car, shopping carts, bicycles and other small vehicles, never lose their versatility, and it's actually a serious design flaw that I can't throw them into the back of a pickup and take them with me. That means that in every new location, I have to find a new equivalent, and modify it as needed.

Yeah, this is A Thing that bothers me, too. You can always dismantle your shopping cart or use a folding bicycle (I actually had a folding bicycle in my humvee's trunk), but those feel like workarounds, not solutions.

e:

OwlFancier posted:

It's a quirk of catacylsm's recipe system. Essentially the idea is that the recipe requires (powered welder AND welding goggles) OR (duct tape) but the game can't actually specify that due to the uneven number of requirements on the second half, so it has to be written (powered welder OR duct tape) AND (welding goggles OR duct tape). The duct tape is supposed to fill both requirements when it's used, but it can be used interchangeably

I didn't know that, but now I have the mental image of a dude welding with a strip of duct tape over his eyes.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 26, 2014

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Even if you did simulate random wear on the vehicle over time, it wouldn't be much more of a problem than repairing the damage after a roadkill session unless a car was practically in danger of shaking itself to pieces the same day you got it running. A welder charging off your car's battery (Or just a straight-up vehicle welding rig) is one of the staples for a killdozer.

If you're using a vehicle as a bludgeon, you seem to get wear in places that don't strictly correspond to where the zombies/bushes have been hitting, I recall having to repair the roof near the back of the car after driving straight through a park full of zombie kids.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Unless it's been fixed since experimental 1817, the experimentals have about a 50-50 chance of crashing whenever you go to craft something. Which is manageable if you remember to bind the quicksave key. They do, however, have a nice selection of new stuff. It's really your call whether you mind occasional crashes, balance issues, and bugs.

Although that does raise my own question for anyone following development more closely: Is there any roadmap to the next stable release? Any projected date for a freeze on new features and just a concerted bugfixing push? Or is the question laughable, and the project doesn't have nearly that level of oversight? I have looked at the repository? board? Whatever you call the thing with pull requests, and I can't glean much useful information from it.

GoonDDA has died a couple deaths, to judge by discussion.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

A minireactor should charge batteries really fast. The Bubble Car only has a small storage battery and minireactor, and when I turned the reactor off (Plutonium is rare, I shouldn't waste it! :downs:), the car died after going like five tiles. Did you remember to turn it on?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

I'm still sort of boggling at you guys turning the spawn rate up to 3 or 5x, I turned it down to half and I'm thinking "Yeah, this is just about right, this is a nice enough challenge."

Although now that I know the bullwhip is the best "melee weapon" (I love that it's actually a very short-range, infinite-ammo gun) I may run an archeologist in a 1x spawn rate world.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Can someone post a min max build for dicking around? I'm having trouble getting past the first day or two.

Going into the debug tab in the options menu and bumping up the available points and trait limits is the best way to just be more powerful (200 or so will get you max stats and every positive trait plus some extra for skills), but otherwise:

Night Vision, Fleet-Footed and Parkour Expert really help with survivability, because you can go in at night and see zombies before they see you while outdistancing any you do engage and leading them across difficult terrain.

If you've turned off skill rust, Forgetful is free points, and Trigger Happy, Ugly, and Truth Teller are generally considered the most minor of drawbacks. Asthmatic, Nearsighted, and Farsighted are also good value. If you have both vision disads, you start with bifocals. I tend to take Heavy Sleeper, since a little prep work will ensure a safe sleeping environment and you wake up if something bites you anyway.

The Bionic Prepper profession starts with an integrated toolset and enough mechanics skill that you can start working on a deathmobile immediately, or if you take Bow Hunter and spend a point on Fabrication skill, you can make all the arrows you want easily.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Obviously it's a throwing weapon.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

This game does provide opportunity to craft interesting narratives. I just set a mansion on fire before I was done with it, and wound up rollerblading frantically through the hallways as the ceiling collapsed behind me, ultimately diving out a window, yanking the rollerblades off, and putting on a pair of sandals I'd looted from the place. Then a short while later my APC skidded out of control after ramming a zombear, sending me careening back through the still-burning wreckage. :supaburn:

If not for the sheer pointless stupidity involved, that would have made a great action movie scene.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, it could use some tweaking. In my experience, the moment you break a window, you have maybe five turns to steal everything and get the gently caress out of Dodge before three dozen special zombies are surrounding you and chewing you to bits. :iit:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Excuse you, my stuff is in five piles. :colbert:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Finally, I was mildly concerned it was just going to be experimental after experimental as they added more bondage gear or something.

I'm considering doing a Let's Play of this now that the new stable build is out. I've got the general plan (Thread dictates the builds and challenges I undertake, I die horribly), but I'm having a bit of difficulty coming up with a subtitle. The best I've come up with is You Eat Your Vibrator: Let's Play Cataclysm!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

The OP hasn't been updated in over a year. Might be worthwhile.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Kirs posted:

Bad thing about this z-levels is that you can not, for example, jump off the high buildind, level borders work as walls. :bang:
Don't be stupid (me) and try to build car on top of something it will not leave that level.

:psyduck:

While I can understand the appeal, that doesn't seem like a good idea. Even if you did do a sweet jump out the window, you'd just need to stop and fix the car and/or yourself once you hit the ground.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

I want to be optimistic and assume they're exaggerating for comedic effect, but I can't. I just can't. :smith:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

I found a great use for fursuits: They're loving delicious. Just stuffed one in my Internal Furnace and got over 750 power out of it. I don't know precisely how much, because I only had 750 power storage, but it took me from near-empty to full.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

nftyw posted:

Lately I start every game as a captured lab rat, starting in a laboratory lets you get tons of free clothing, fairly easy access to lots of tools, and the chance to start right next to a turret and get instagibbed. The only real difficult part is escaping the lab before you starve to death since the door is locked from outside and guarded by a turret.

I think I read a guide that recommended making explosives and going out through the wall, not the door.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

RickVoid posted:

I'd kind of like to see an LP thread open up for this. Could be a fun read.

I've been kicking the idea around. Have the OP written out, know what I'm gonna be doing in general. Got a lot on my plate at the moment, though.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Anticheese posted:

I've got to wonder what purpose it serves other than being as user-unfriendly as possible.

I believe you mean "verisimilitudinous." :pseudo:

I'm not arguing with you, that's just the immediately obvious joke.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

PiCroft posted:

On the topic of boarding up windows, what are people's favorite base locations?

Police stations provide multiple small rooms to sort your piles into, a decently defensible layout and a back door (The problem with single-entrance bottlenecks is it's as hard to get out while under siege as it is to get in), plus the console provides light to read by.

The upper-class houses with the big glass walls, swimming pool, and fireplace are also nice, but I've never taken the time to fully fortify one, it seems like it'd be a bitch.

Though the place I really want to fortify is a public works facility. Large parking lot surrounded by chain-link fence for deathmobiles, a smaller garage for fun-sized deathmobiles, and a collection of offices to sleep in.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

I was going to post one of those not-fooling-anyone mail-order catalog pictures of a "neck massager", but wouldn't you know it, everything I could find with my search terms was an actual neck massager.

As for a starting guide, I've managed to last to the first night (A rare occurrence with me) with an Abandoned Patient start that took Escrima. Warmth was solved by grabbing a blanket from a hospital bed and wearing it when not fighting.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

So what kind of outfits are you guys usually running?

(No, not really, I just put that together for the OP of the LP I'm putting together)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Going off the wiki, that particular artifact's effects could be one of: invisibility, clairvoyance, extinguishing fires around you (slowly), leeching health when you attack, causing blood to seep from the floor and walls, or punching everything around you for a miniscule amount of damage.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Twitter Warpath posted:

I got bit and want to use my bottle of hydrogen peroxide on it to kill the infection, but there's no option to use it or craft anything relevant with it. What gives?

If activating the bottle doesn't do what you want, it's not the right type of disinfectant.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

chiefnewo posted:

First time I met a tank drone I stepped out the door of a house and got plastered across the front step.

This, except it was my starting shelter.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, fortifying an actual building is hard mode.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Capilarean posted:

Okay, is there any way to build a campfire? I'm trying some wilderness survival and I've already burnt down my camp 3 times. It's getting rather embarrasing.

Surround it with rocks. Last I heard, eight rocks in a circle will keep the fire from spreading.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Seriously if you don't occasionally play a character who wanders around wearing a fursuit, a bra, a pair of army boots, and a cravat, wields a nail bat and is constantly off his tits on meth then I don't know what your idea of fun is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVX8wm_CONM

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

What shall I do with these 30 mininukes?

Thoroughly destroy a fungal spire, then yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Slaughter your way through a school, then perk yourself back up by digging through the squishy bits for candy.

On the weapon topic, a bullwhip is marvelous if you can find one. It's a 3-square range infinite-ammo gun (As the game defines it, you fire it instead of walking up and hitting) that uses the Melee skill and stuns enemies (Probably on critical hits like the cudgel does). It's got low damage, but that just means more opportunities per zombie to fire it, and thus better skill growth. A starting character was able to use one and a wrecked car to take on two brutes and two regular zombies at once with no damage. A different character used one to stun a mi-go long enough to swap to a gun and put some bullets through its squamous hide. It wouldn't actually damage the mi-go, but the stun still triggered.

No one gets away! :whip: