Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Cardiovorax posted:

There you go.

How do you install this terminus font? I both installed it into window's fonts folder and in the data folder and changed the FONTDATA file to:

quote:

data/terminus.ttf

Cataclysm DDA crashes on starup with this though. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

He Jon93 (or anyone else), do you know if Fast Learner still works with the new focus system?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, I finally have a bit of a decent game going. Got a house well off the edge of town, a modest stockpile of food and drink, some miscellaneous junk and even a shotgun (but no ammo). Guess I'll have to work my way into town, slowly trying to find more supplies. I wonder how long this'll last.

Do "burnt" zombie corpses reanimate? I gathered some dead zeds around my base into one square, threw on some non-fitting cloths and a few big sticks for kindling and lit it all up but the corpses were still there after the fire died out (which didn't take too long). Also how do people deal with volume limitations? Wearing backpacks and stuff as well as clothing causes encumberment penalties, which are a nasty blow to dodge and melee. I know that probably doesn't matter much when you've got reliable ranged weapons, but all I've got right now is my crowbar, so it kinda sucks.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah I managed to scrounge up a trench and cargo shorts, also got a messenger bag which is 0 encumbrance.

Are plastic bags useful for anything? I noticed there was a crafting formula to bundle 10 together for some reason. Also is there a way to STOP reading? I tried to read a first aid book and my guy just read for hours until spotting a spider stopped him.

[edit] Any semi-reliable places to find ammo besides gun stores and military places? Do police stations carry ammo? I got a shotgun, but nothing to put in it.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 8, 2013

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

If you set up a funnel (like a trap) outside your base, you can fill containers with water when it rains. You can even do acid water. In the old thread I think it was mentioned you can boil the acid water into more concentrated acid, and then use the acid, tin cans, and scrap metal to make batteries!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

"e" and then the direction of the container.

[edit] fixed, I am stupid.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 9, 2013

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Anyone know why my lighting looks like this in the morning after sunrise?

[edit] Its almost like some tiles are acting like light sources when they shouldn't.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 9, 2013

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

We should be able to butcher corpses for fat and make tallow candles with them.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

PiCroft posted:

Dwarf Fortress player spotted :cheeky:

And I guess you were never a cubscout! :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

.22 ammo has a good use, training via plinking! Grab a .22 pistol/rifle and a heap of ammo and go out and just shoot it off in the middle of nowhere to build up your skill with the weapon class.

At least this worked in the old XP system.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

All this talk of Artifacts suddenly makes me want a STALKER Roguelike. :smith:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Started a new game and there was a V8 sitting right outside the door of the shelter.

EDIT:Of course I got my eyeballs gored out by a moose in a sporting goods store.

After watching Fury Road (its awesome, go see it if you haven't!) I find myself desperately wishing there was a Mad Max Roguelike that let you build/customize vehicles like in Cataclysm.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Man, I have no luck so far in my attempts to get going in this for the first time in year(s?). I get a good start. Smashing up the shelter and spending the first day crafting up till I have a DIY spear, homemade trenchcoat+backpack, and makeshift lockpicks/crowbar. But every time I try to raid houses in the dead of the first night I find nothing. The one time I did find some decent stuff I made the mistake of checking out a basement and got murdered by giant spiders. Or in once case, walk out the shelter right into a surprise battle between zombies and wildlife around a wrecked APC a few squares out the door and get killed in the chaos.

Argh!

I keep spawning with really tiny towns nearby too, like 4-5 houses and almost nothing else.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Knife spear is no good? Maybe I read an outdated guide (wouldn't surprise me).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Got bored, quickly bashed this out. :v:

code:
[
    {
        "type": "profession",
        "ident": "MadMax",
        "name": "Road Warrior",
        "description": "A legend in the wasteland, you run from both the living and the dead in a never ending quest for survival and guzzoline.",
        "points": 0,
        "skills": [
            {
                "level": 2,
                "name": "driving"
            },
            {
                "level": 1,
                "name": "gun"
            },
            {
                "name": "melee"
            },
            {
                "name": "survival"
            },
            {
                "name": "dodge"
            }
        ],
        "items": {
            "both": [
                "tshirt",
                "jacket_leather",
                "pants_leather",
                "gloves_leather",
                "socks",
                "boots",
                "shotgun_sawn",
                "holster",
                "pockknife"
            ],
            "male": [
                "boxer_shorts"
            ],
            "female": [
                "sports_bra",
                "panties"
            ]
        }
    }
]
Tempted to make a class that just starts with all the skills and inventory I'd get from just sitting around the evac shelter for 30 (IRL) minutes preparing for actually going out in the world.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 28, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Lone Badger posted:

You don't have any ammo for the shotgun. This may be deliberate.

Totally. :v:

quote:

Empty! All this time! That's dishonest! Low!

Especially since you can only seem to give a full stack of ammo. If I was gonna give him ammo, it'd be only a few precious shells.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 28, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Finally managed a breakout on a character. For starters, yeah this cudgel is drat nice! Anyways, got lucky and found a few useful things, and now I'm zipping down streets on rollblades, hauling wheelbarrels full of loot and wearing leather reinforced clothing with my trenchcoat also having kevlar lining. Managed to find a motorcycle with sidecar in decent condition, so I gassed it up and brought it back to my shelter as an option.

Now if I could only find some guns, so far all I got is a sawn off shotgun* and a Ruger 10/22 and not a bit of ammo, though I have a bullet press and a puller, so I could try to learn to make ammo I guess! I did raid a library for a ton of books.

* This shotgun was nearly the end of my run. Walked into a boarded up house and BLAMMO, blasted in the chest by it. Thankfully I had found a military vest with kevlar plate inserts a few hours early and was wearing it, still nearly killed me. I ran away toot sweet and proceeded to apply a ton of bandages. Vest was all hosed up and unfortunately I was an idiot and disassembled it, thinking I could repair it with the plates removed. Ended up ruining the whole thing. Used the kevlar scraps to reinforce my trenchcoat.

I've got a lot of food, know where to get more, and have a river nearby I can access for water to purify. I should probably just start digging into all those books. That said, I recovered a solar panel from a garage. Would it be possible to find a batter and set up my various utility stuff in my shelter (water purifier, mess kit, lantern, etc) to operate off a storage battery that I recharge during the day? I got a decent supply of batteries, but not THAT many.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ok, I roller-derbied into town and looted a few solar panels and storage batteries and cases from some solar cars. Even got a power converter and some copper wire from a power station for good measure. How do I build a little solar power farm at my Evac Shelter? Do I need to build them as "Vehicles"? And is there a way I can use this to generate batteries or wire my appliances into a storage battery instead of little batteries?

found a mostly wrecked .45 pistol and sawed two M249s off an armored truck, but the only ammo I've found is some 9mm and some weird sporting caseless. Why can't I find a few shotgun shells, drat!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh damnit, I accidentally clicked past a non-maximized window and closed C:DDA. There goes a few hours of play! :suicide:

Why doesn't the autosave default to on? I thought it WAS on. :sigh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Turns out there is a huge city near my Evac Shelter, in the opposite direction of the small town I'd been raiding previously. Dashed through it and hit up 4 gun stores before I couldn't carry anymore on my person or in my wheelbarrow.

I don't think firearms are gonna be an issue for a wihle. :getin: The only real question is what gun(s) to trick out. Might trick out the SKS, in honor of Fury Road. Plus I got 240 rounds for it, largest ammo supply amongst what I raided.

By the way, can I build a better wheelbarrow? A bigger box basically? Or will that be harder to drag?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 30, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

nftyw posted:

You could, but a heavier, bigger cart is going to be harder to pull, until you get to the point where you can't pull it because it's too heavy to move. It's better to have something like a small car or motorcycle if you want to carry a ton of junk around, and if you get really ambitious a whole super deathmobile that can scream around everywhere while holding all your stuff.

Ah, that makes sense. I actually do have a motorcycle with side car I found and fueled up parked outside my shelter, I guess I could start using that. Not like I won't be causing enough noise with my new guns.

Alternatively I could start building some kind of vehicle, but my mechanic skill is only 3.

Maybe I could cut off the side car and mount boxes on the side of the motorcycle like oversized saddlebags. That or build a compact little buggy/sandrail.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I haven't seen a bicycle yet (or if I had, I was too busy running like hell), but I'll keep an eye out I guess. Honestly I was leaning towards building a little 3x3 or whatever go-kart/buggy type thing, fuel isn't a huge problem (I know of two gas stations, one in easy reach) and I figure as long as I install a muffler a small engine can't make THAT much noise, can it?

Eventually though I wanna build a car worth of Mad Max though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Apparently rollerblades make you very prone to being knocked down! I checked out a basement, cool looks like some guys mancave filled with booze and pool tables and poo poo. Walk in and am immediately knocked the gently caress over by a CHUD, joy! Kept trying to stand, kept getting knocked down. Thankfully my reinforced clothing was holding. Still, I decided "gently caress this poo poo" and pulled my sawn-off out of its holster. Blammo! splattered that CHUD's brains all over the place. :black101:

That said, my SKS is proving disappointing, I was expecting to be headshotting Zeds left and right, but its barely doing anything so far. Still, I'm only 3 marksmanship/3rifle skill.

[edit] the CHUD was carrying a 55 gallon drum? Welp, I know what I'm installing in my eventual Mad Max car... but how am I gonna transport it? :stare:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 30, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wales Grey posted:

My advice is to steal a bike and turn it into a tricycle with a floor trunk on the back. The only downside is that there is no difference between "physically tired" and "sleepy tired" so you need to nap more often.

I built something like this, it works pretty well, except I can't haul it into buildings like a wheelbarrow. Also, my survivor gets tired waaaay too fast pedaling it around at 19MPH.

But thats fine, I've collected enough parts to start construction of my Magnum Opus. Its amazing what completely tearing apart a VW Bug and a Sedan can do for your mechanical know-how. :getin:

Plus I found a 6 Liter V8.

That said, is it possible to create an easily detachable/reatachable vehicle segment? It'd be kinda neat to be able to have a small cargo trailer or something.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So uh, can you blow up engines or something? I turned my tricycle into a motortrike and went on a supply run. While exiting town I suddenly got a "Your engine emits a high pitched whine" in the log which I failed to notice followed by it making a loud grinding noise. Then it died. :( Thankfully I have a small replacement engine back at base and it won't be TOO much of a trip to haul the engine over in a wheelbarrow.

Still, what happened? I hadn't really hit much stuff, everything else on the bike is still light green at worst.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Aaaah, I thought the safe speed was "you're more likely to lose control" unsafe not "you're gunning the engine into the redline" unsafe. :v:

Also, I found an "engraved crystal" in a pile of dirt rubble. I was immediately attacked by a "Shadow". A sawn-off blast took care of that, but now I'm afraid to "activate" the crystal. :ohdear:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

girth brooks part 2 posted:

EDIT: Touch the crystal Galaxian. You know you want to.

Nope! :colbert:

Some "Hunting Horror" appeared near me while I was working outside my shelter. Disappeared when I drew my trusty sawn off. I immediately hoped on my Trike, drove a half-hour+ away and tossed the crystal. Marked the spot on my map just in case for later, but for now, gently caress that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Not sure about the funnels, but unless you're really wanting to do archery, it'd be much easier to just brain all the zombies with a cudgel. Just take a few whacks then step back before they can strike back.

Also, I finally finished it, now I can sleep....

No doubt I will get myself stupidly killed behind its wheel tomorrow.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Run? Is there a sprint button or something?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So, are smoker explosions supposed to be fantastically violent? A I made the mistake of driving that V8 Interceptor I built inside a garage and while trying to get it out, a smoke smashed through the back window, being the clever sort I am, I immediately smashed into him with the car. Cue the entire front end of the Interceptor blowing apart for some reason. :negative:

But thats ok, I built the car, and I lost it, the cycle is complete. My new game is going better so far!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, lesson learned then. That's fine, in my new game I'm taking a different route and converting a Hippie Van into a mobile base. I'll just park it outside a town and do the same thing I currently do with my evac shelter, go into town on foot rollerblade dragging a wheelbarrow folding kart and just hauling poo poo back. Probably safer than risking losing my main ride.

That said I still wanna beef it up a bit. What is the most effective mountable pros? A ram? Spikes/blades? Just a heavy frame with armor?

(Edit) Also, I noticed during some reckless driving/part car recovery that smashing into another vehicle caused it to roll forward. It was a pretty violent hit (lost control due to shocker paralyzing me) but can you nudge cars out of the way at lower speeds? I'll have to experiment after work.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 2, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Also, spergy nitpick: Why was the engine on the Hippie Van in the front? The engine on a Volkswagen Type-2 is in the back. :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I found a wrecked APC, debating on whether or not to pry some armor plating off it for my van. It also had a mounted M2 Browning .50cal with a surprising amount of ammo. Worth mounting? I dunno, but it'd let me emulate this more closely.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Low-speed bumps will still ding up your car a bit, but yeah, if you're patient you can nudge a car a few times to make it roll clear (assuming it has enough wheels).

Spikes are pretty easy and effective ramming upgrades. They cost fuckall time and materials to mount, do good damage, and simply detach when broken. They often protect your vehicle simply by virtue of hitting and killing creatures before your frame collides with them. I am a big fan of spikes.

Actually that reminds me, I only really need to worry about beefing up my outer frames and quarterpanels, right? I mean, assuming I don't put the van through a wall or plow Into another car at high speed those are the only segments that will take damage, right?

This thing is only a mobile base anyways, I don't plan on smashing it through cities. Still I'll inevitably hit some stuff so I want it to stand up to some abuse. Figure I just armor the front and rear, maybe install heavy frames there and mount some blades on the front and it should be good.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 2, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I got a question while I'm at work. Does firing a gun at nothing still raise your marksman and weapon type skills?

Back when I played a few years ago I'd end up with large surpluses of low end pistol and rifle ammo (.22, .32, etc) which I'd just use up by grabbing a Ruger or whatever and burning ammo to improve my skill.

If not I guess it wouldn't be hard to go into town and pot-shot zombies.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 4, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Not exactly great summer wear though. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I just realized an obvious "profession" that was missing from the game.

code:
[
    {
        "type": "profession",
        "ident": "FrankWest",
        "name": "Photojorunalist",
        "description": "Sometimes it surprises even you just the places you'll go for the next big scoop, but you can handle it. You've covered wars, ya know."
        "points": 0,
        "items": {
            "both": [
                "dress_shirt",
                "jacket_leather",
                "pants",
                "leather_belt",
                "socks",
                "dress_shoes",
                "bat",
                "camera_pro",
                "battery"
            ],
            "male": [
                "boxer_shorts"
            ],
            "female": [
                "bra",
                "panties"
            ]
        }
    }
]

Bonus points for starting in a mall. :v:

[edit] Actually is wrestling a martial arts style? If so, he should totally have that...

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 5, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Doesn't the spawn setting effect non-zombies as well?

That said, it might be interesting to play a game/world where you set the mods up so only mundane/slow zombies spawn (no specials, no misc weird monsters) and then crank the spawn rate through the roof.

And yeah, I prefer slow zombies too. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I find the most interesting things digging through military wreckage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Captain Gordon posted:

Are there any tilesets out for this? Also, is there a singleplayer or is it survival sandbox?

There is quite the option for tilesets. Most of them look like poo poo IMO, but I like Retrodays (the one in my screenshot above your post).

You can see a comparison of various tilesets in this post in Daeron's Informative Let's play of the game currently going. Might be worth reading to see what its like and get some starting tips.