Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So while going over some recent looting hauls of a few gun-nut basements I took stock of what I have. I have some modest ammo supplies for several nice guns, but then I noticed a pile of 600 7.62mm rounds of some kind. "Awesome!, I'm gonna be blasting a rifle all day with this!"

They're loving Tokarev rounds. :negative:. And of course a Tokarev or PPSh or whatever else uses this stupid round was not amongst my collection.

I suppose I could get around to learning how to disassemble and load my own ammo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, if you don't want to craft anything, go find some military wreckage and dig around in it, I've pulled Kevlar vests (close to the skin) and MBR Vests (strapped layer) pretty commonly from them. Plus you might find other interesting toys.

Though that is only torso armor, of course.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Don't forget the brute variant first. :v: (Hulks are evolved Brutes, yeah? I dunno my Zombie morphology so well)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

At least you aren't losing much? I mean, besides your life.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I have discovered a Fungal Bloom north of the small town I'm currently looting. I remember those being pretty bad news when I played a few years ago, so I should probably try to destroy it. Time to make some molotovs! Good thing I got a gasmask.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, that was a disappointing way for my attack on the fungal thing to end. Autosave put me back way before I even started attacking. Maybe I should just go somewhere else and avoid it. Will this poo poo spread if I'm not nearby (since I know the game only loosely tracks stuff beyond a certain distance from you).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So go out and shoot/rock a Squirrel if you want fresh meat.

That said, Jerky uses 1 chunk of meat to make 3 portions of jerky that give 12 nutrition each. 3x12 =36. Not bad for something that won't spoil vs the 1 portion 50 nutrition of Cooked Meat.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Fat Samurai posted:

Speaking of stockpiles, anyone has a sane way of stocking a shelter? I'm only using the basement for sleeping, at least until I manage to cook without smoke, because gently caress doing anything with a flashlight. That has the drawback of making upstairs a complete mess of piles of food, medical supplies, books, rags and leather patches and an ever increasing pile of electronic parts I don't know what to do with.

Yeah, labeling the various parts of your doom mobile helps, but here is the mess that is my Survivor Hippie Hoarder Van.

Also, learn to love the advanced inventory management "/" screen. A lot of the time I can stand in one of two spots (where I am in the screenshot or just to the left) switch the adv inventory thing to area mode (checks all the tiles around you) and then just filter for what I'm looking for and grab it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

What else am I gonna fill this van full of?

If it doesn't look like this:

Whats the point?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You're limited to one wheel per square/space on a vehicle.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Did you remove the broken wheel first? A broken item still counts as an item. Also, you need a welder or lots of duct tape to reattach things while you only need a wrench and a saw to remove (most) stuff, so that might be your problem.

Otherwise that sheet metal should be able to be used to craft a new box via "install".

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You could install a 650 one instead of a 200/275, but if the thing gets too heavy vs your character's strength you won't be able to drag it anymore. And yeah, max 1 cargo container per square.

No idea about this laser error, I've never run into something like that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I've got that mod enabled and never had an error message like that, weird.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Check the rain coat's description, what areas does it cover? The areas it doesn't cover are still getting wet. I think it doesn't cover your head, for example (need a rain hood).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Xand_Man posted:

gently caress it, just make the Mad Max total conversion mod.

I said it earlier, but I really do wish some kind of "Mad Max" style roguelike-sh game existed that had vehicle customization similar to Cataclysm.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

10s and 11s are fine for shooting.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Raided my first science lab today.

Or at least thats what I'd like to say. Thank goodness I was wearing a Kevlar vest, a Kevlar lined trenchcoat, and an (empty) MBR vest. Those loving SMG turrets, shiiit. I got shot to pieces, I think I nearly lost an arm! (can you lose limbs?)

How the hell are you supposed to deal with those things? I got shot to bits just trying to use the "X" function to peek around the doorway.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I find a holstered sawn-off shotgun (or the Rivtech Short Shotgun) is a great answer for "something is next to/near me and needs to die RIGHT NOW". No skill necessary (but it helps).

I've yet to have anything survive both barrels.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'm pretty much a STALKER protagonist at this point, aren't I? The description for the Survivor suit sounds a lot like a Sunrise or SEVA suit, afterall. :v:

Debating on replacing my Mini-14 with a proper assault rifle. Got a few .223 rifles to choose from, G36, AUG, and a H&K 416A5, whatever that is. Plus guns in other calibers, but .223 is what I've got a modest amount of ammo for. What are everyone's favorite guns?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 12, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Get a shovel and you should be able to dig a lot of it out of the rubble. I think some stuff will have been destroyed though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

M.Ciaster posted:

I don't really like .223 since it seems like it takes two hits to take out a turret, so I just roll with a .308 FAL instead. But if you really wanna go with .223 might as well go for broke and pack a M249 :v:

Seriously though: seems to me that pretty much all .223 assault rifles are pretty much interchangeable. Pretty much the only thing that matters is the mag size.

I DO have a FAL stuffed in the back, I just don't have much in the way of .308 ammo (I think the precious few rounds I do got have been slowly being used up by a Savage 111F rifle sniping turrets and stuff at long range). I suppose I should get off my rear end and learn to make ammo. Got plenty of assorted bullets I can disassemble.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Took assorted advice, now going through this lab blasting turrets, manhacks(!), zombie scientists and stranger with a FAL dressed like a STALKER character.

Its nice to finally get beyond "basic survival crap + build a apocalypse car" stage.

That said, its loving freezing in this lab! Is that normal, or is it because Winter is coming? I had to back out and make a thermal suit before I froze to death.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 12, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Are you using an old version, perhaps?

Also, I think I've gone as far into the lab as I can. Even with a powered thermal undersuit, stalker armor, and a internal climate control bionic, I can't go much deep without freezing, I think.

Still got plenty of loot though, who needs hacking when you have a Jackhammer in your cart. :getin:

Is there a limit to how many power storage CBMs I can cram into myself?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

President Ark posted:

So in my current game I've hit a wall. I've gotten pretty much all the supplies and equipment I can from residential sources and I'm currently trying to see what I can do next. I tried getting stuff from a lab but got stopped dead by the turrets in there - they nearly killed me instantly. Right now I'm driving around looking for a mall or a military outpost or something I can raid for better equipment - is there anything in particular I should be looking out for?

What kind of stuff are you looking for? Guns? Armor? Tools?

I'll say this though, work on getting your survival, tailoring, and fabrication skills up. Using those you can craft all sorts of useful stuff.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, with decent tailoring skill you can reinforce your clothing with leather and kevlar patches. Otherwise keep an eye out for wreckage and dig through it, I frequently find MBR or Kevlar vests in them you can use for body armor or cut up for Kevlar patches.

Otherwise if you have a rifle with decent range (Such as a .223) and accuracy you could head to a military outpost. They'll be protected by turrets, but a decent rifle should outrange them and you can just potshot the things to bits and then loot the dead soldiers/zombie soldiers that're usually found at bases.

With high survival and fabrication skills alongside tailoring you can craft Survivor armor or Nomad gear. In fact Nomad gear isn't a bad start (though you'll fry in Summer).

Needs Tailoring 5 and maybe some survival or fabrication? I'm not sure. Anyways, once you make it sturdy (which also slightly increases defenses) and add kevlar/leather reinforcement it should have 15-16ish defense, which isn't to start with.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 13, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Do "pulped" corpses resurrect?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, I just applied liberal amounts of molotovs to a fungal bloom after mag dumping my FAL into the spire.

gently caress this fungal poo poo. I went around exterminating every Fungaloid and Fungal zombie I could find. I hope it stays dead. :ohdear:

Afterwards I rooted around in my parts bin and realized I had a bunch of useful gun mods I had forgotten about. My FAL is now absolutely ridiculous. I took my knife and named it Coffinmaker,

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Are you just pushing "f" to bring up the fire menu and then "f" again to fire? There are options for aiming in the fire menu. You can push "." to aim for one unit of time, "a" for a quick aim, "c" for a careful aim, and "p" for precise aiming (I think these are just predefined amount of aim) The longer you spend aiming the better your chances of hitting and it helps reduce recoil (which'll kill your accuracy if you just rapidly fire off rounds with heavier guns).

There are two stat/bars in the aiming menu, Confidence and Steadiness. AFAIK Steadiness is related to recoil and effects dispersion while Confidence is a vague indicator of how likely you are to hit, the fuller the bar the better in each case.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

nftyw posted:

I think rifles have some kind of retarded penalty to hit unless you are standing like 2 miles from your target. With pistols and shotguns you just get up close to things and burst fire and things get hit and die.

Really? I haven't noticed. I don't seem to have any trouble blowing away stuff only a few squares from me using my FAL, even with minimal aiming. Then again it has been modified to have 0 dispersion and aim sight dispersion, so maybe that is it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I was using a Mini-14 set up as a poor man's sniper rifle for a while. It wasn't bad.

Now I have my Sniper FAL though. :getin: Amazing gun so far, even with the weaker handloaded ammo. Took down a chicken walker in 3 shots.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

If you're gonna go that far you might as well go cut up a car or collect a shitton of pipes and build yourself a Sandrail or something. :v:

Meanwhile I'm still puttering around in my modified Hippie van with its fuel efficient 4-cylinder engine. I've used up maybe 10-20% of two gas tanks since building the thing.
By the way, how much storage space does a onboard chem lab or FOODCO Kitchen buddy have?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Why am I suddenly producing 21 sound instead of 6 whenever I walk around? Is it because I installed an enhanced hearing CBM?

And is the laser pistol good? I got a UPS bionic, but the laser pistol I have/had seemed rather weak on damage.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Actually if you have nothing in your hands and you push the "f"ire button, it'll give you a list of holstered weapons to draw.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So I was stupid an poked around a waste sarcofigi. Apparently I need an access code to get in. Just as well, while walking back to my van I suddenly realized my stats were reduced, yet nothing was listed as being wrong in the @ menu. With a rather :doh: feeling of dread I fired up my radiation biomonitor; 147 Rads! I guess I should've realized that my Survivor Armor's 10 Enviro protect wouldn't be enough. But poo poo, I never even went in/down.

Is that a lot? Is there some way to cleanse my system? I tried chugging about 10 iodine tablets but that reduced it by a whole 1 Rad. Not even chugging one of the purifier flasks I picked up in a lab helped.

Maybe I should just drown myself in Vodka like a proper STALKER.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 15, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Don't forget sawn off shotguns have a Burstfire mode for giving em both barrels at once! Cause some things just need to die immediately! :black101:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Artificer posted:

Is there any point to getting a weapon's dispersion or recoil stats below 0?

Yes, the ammunition often includes sizable amounts of dispersion or recoil themselves. Especially for heavier rounds.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I just drive around minefields. Unless they're on a forest road, they're pretty easy to avoid.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

silentsnack posted:

...you do realize you can disarm mines, right? If you have enough Perception to spot them it takes maybe 2~3 levels in Traps and some expendable helmet/goggles/armor for when the RNG feels like punching you in the dysphemism.

Yeah, but I'm not gonna defuse every random minefield I drive past. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Do either of those have food preservation? Though I guess I really don't have much in the way of perishables left.

Except some aging hot dogs, which my character apparently finds completely unappealing without bread to eat it with. Dude, you can like chop that poo poo up and fry it with some eggs and potatoes, its great, or chop it up and mix it with chilli (Chillidogs sans bread!), there is so many ways to eat hot dogs besides hotdogs!

brb making an expanded food mod. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, you can just mount a water tank wherever. I think I used a 30 gallon tank from an RV for my Post Apoc Hippie Van. Also, water tanks in cars only accept clean water, so you have to purify/boil it before putting it in.

Not sure about the cargo thing, but when in doubt, put a bigger engine in. That said, my Groover van weighs nearly 3 tons at 5750lbs and even with a dinky 2.85L 4-stroke it can still drive up to 69 MPH without stressing/damaging the engine, which is more than enough IMO. My K Dynamics is 58% and my K mass is 90%, whatever those mean.