Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Hit Shift-v it lists all the items in view and you can scroll down the list to see where they are.

:aaaaa:

Holy poo poo this is amazing. Thank your for pointing this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Toady is also some sort of inhuman mad genius who has created something never even dreamt of by most developers. Cataclysm as awesome as it is is still a pretty standard rouge-like that could benefit by following standard coding practices.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Are you playing with Dynamic or Static Spawns?

If Dynamic, change to Static.

If Static, try to avoid the center of town and abuse Molotovs to burn the fuckers.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Inadequately posted:

What's a good way to attract a zombie horde to an area from a distance?

The Noise Emitter is easy to craft and effective for gathering groups.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Alarm Clocks also work for telling time and are really common. Don't ask how it works without batteries.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

What ARE the ways to smash or cut a metal door? Do I need explosives or can I build some sort of super sledgehammer thing?

The Sonic Resonator is particularly effective and cheap to use. As a bonus it also breaks reinforced glass.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Decently large cities with zero spacing and you can make some serious urban sprawl.

It still does force some forests and stuff to spawn in between.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 11, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Yeah, the mods are pretty solid. Also highly suggested to use the mod that reverts CBMs back to being able to be hand-installed and the other that makes autodocs install them with 100% success.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Turning down the zombie speed to 50% and resistance up to 500% has been a good sweet spot for challenge, to me. Also turning up the spawns and item density by a few notches helps with the tedium.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

So the Butler/Maid start is actually incredible because it seems hardcoded to spawn you close by at least one set of armour and weapons - the one where I survived the surrounded start has me in a full set of fitted chainmail armour and a broadsword. Sure everything else you spawn with is garbage and the mansion is surrounded by ~75 zombies but if you can escape and grab some poo poo on the way out it really does set you up nicely.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

One of the newer lab finales is a pilotable combat mech :swoon:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Caidin posted:

Minor detour from the topic at hand but did it always take 10 actual minutes for you to finish a full nights sleep or have I missed up some setting? Did a lab escape start and after getting out half shredded by turret fire I decided to sleep in a isolated farmhouse and I made this post while I waited for my character to wake up.

I've had sleep times vary wildly depending on how many things are in the reality bubble range. Though never more than a few minutes.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Extra arms mutations would be far more fun if you could wield individual weapons in each.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

reignonyourparade posted:

Bionic assassin for me. It's just so fun to start out with the Monomolecular blade and ninjutsu through the close quarters battle CBM.

I just wish the Monoblade wasn't so rare. I've got a character that has been built up from a butler and has the ability to phase through walls, control time, and throw out lightning with massive dexterity but hasn't yet found a blade to perfect the build :sigh:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Is autodrive working reliably yet?

Pretty well, yeah. And if it can't find a safe route it just ends the autodrive. Bolting some tank armour and heavy duty frames to the front is still recommended.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

You can make a foldable shopping cart with the Folding Parts Pack which is bundled with the launcher. Of course you can also just put a shopping cart on a bike rack now which have been a thing for over a year.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 21, 2020

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Yeah the mechs are more exoskeletons than armoured vehicles. Also getting new batteries for them can be a huge pain.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Can you get into a mech and then sit in the driver's seat of a vehicle?

Completely misread the question and don't think so. Need to test this now because I never thought about it.

E: Tested. You cannot board a vehicle while in a mech. You can carry them on your car with a livestock carrier though.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 24, 2020

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Leal posted:

Whats the catch? They don't just make things more convenient without some catch. Did they add in tool related accidents like sawing off your thumb for realism?

Removing all the recipes for fun things and generally making everything else more tedious. Luckily mods still exist even if the ~realism~ nerds hate it.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

You could probably set off mininuke timer, leave it in the car and jump out with it still driving for a proper vehicular nuclear missile.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

If you want a really fun and highly impractical weapon then a belt-fed .50 sniper rifle will both attract every zombie in the city and out-range anything and everything that could hurt you. Ammo only limited by how many tanks you can find.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

A sledgehammer solves all furniture removal needs.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

goatsestretchgoals posted:

casters (lol find or make arc welders)

Arc Welders are pretty common now in labs due to the loot tile that spawns a special car and a bunch of rare tools/parts.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

SlyFrog posted:

Is there a win condition for this game yet that you don't set for yourself (like ascension in Nethack, etc.)?

No. The real endgame is throwing your character into ever more dangerous situations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Said it before but: The sledgehammer is the best tool in the game.

For your original question you can try and raid mansions for the armour stands. They can have steel broadswords, claymores, and the like which are all very strong - also craftable if you acquire the books and skill.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 5, 2020

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

Hi everyone, just started playing this game ~5 days ago and man, am I hooked. So much granularity, so many interesting little tidbits and possibilities and interactions. Definitely scratches the same itch that Caves of Qud does.

I got a question about vehicles in the road. Is there a way to go about getting car wrecks out of the road so you can pass by streets they're blocking by car? One of my biggest annoyances while travelling is having to circumnavigate major urban/suburban arteries blocked by inconveniently placed cars, and I don't know if it's possible to, say, completely dismantle them or shove them out of the way or something.

The holy secret cure for all annoying cars.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I'm sure plenty of people have brought this up already, but do you guys just play your character until they become basically unkillable post-apocolyptic gods riding atop a death chariot?

End-game, for me, tends to be seeing how many serums my character can take before either reaching transcendence or turning into a chimera while also driving overengineered vehicles at 200+mph just to see if the inevitable crash is survived. Running through towns, labs, or caves as fast as possible in search of dumb loot and cursed artifacts that are a gamble between becoming more obscenely powerful or exploding. Things like that. The more deathdefying the better.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 20, 2020

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

HiroProtagonist posted:

its slow as gently caress which is the balance. I haven't messed with it too much but if you have to deal with more than one or two at a time it's a losing proposition, in that limited experience.

It kills poo poo real nice 1v1 or even 1v2 though.

wait am I just oblivious? does the mood penalty go away once you execute enough kids?

Yes. Eventually you stop caring about killing zombies and if you kill enough humans you stop caring about them too. It's subtle but the game does slowly make you more and more uncaring.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

So I just got a hydraulic muscles implant, what's the most efficient way to translate temporary high STR into dead zombies? Composite bow? Unarmed? Bludgeons? Throwing things?

Railgun CBM for throwing plus lawndarts or rebar. If you don't have/can't find railgun then something like the heavy sledge hammer or any other weapon with the BRUTAL flag which scales heavily off of strength and turns you into a perma-stun machine.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Hordes, more spawns, and increased defense can stress even overpowered characters.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

The lesser known variant of the bike rack is the livestock carrier/stall which can carry non-animal entities like, say, your mech suits.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

I am very wary of using superbikes to recon cities since an extendo-arms zombie pulled me off one while I was doing 80 km/h.

Were you using a 5-point harness? They're easy to make/install and stop you from being thrown in crashes and should stop you being grabbed.

Caidin posted:

So what's Raptor's high selling point as a mutation line that makes it one of the mutagens you need 3 other mutagens to craft?

Makes you a high speed melee god with both apex predator and very fast metabolism with most of the negative mutations being mild.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 25, 2020

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Install a camera control system and some cameras around the vehicle and you don't need windows for 360 vision

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

It's the same reason you have deathmobiles with no windows and only cameras for vision. Eyes/turrets/other non-scent-baddies completely ignore you if they don't have line-of-sight of your character.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

There used to be interesting artifacts. Like everything fun and wacky they were deemed too unrealistic.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

PiCroft posted:

Wait, what? You can build/find and fly helicopters now?

Yep. Though I'm still waiting for the inevitable mod that will allow attaching wings to a superbike/car to make ill-advised aeroplanes.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

I'm still a fan of just tossing explosives into any wreck too big to be pushed.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Agreeing that as long as it loads correctly don't worry about it. Likewise with random errors encountered throughout as long as it doesn't crash you're generally fine.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

I guess part of my issue is that I use medival swordfighting and the counter attack procs sap my stamina more than I would like and sometimes lead to weird sequences where a bunch of rounds pass by without me being able to have input. Might be time to pick another melee style on char gen

Also never walk into stripclubs in this game holy poo poo

Fencing with a broadsword is incredibly lethal if you want to be more offensive against the big bads. Sojutsu with a spear otoh is very good at letting you kite practically forever which will keep you from using stamina on blocking/dodging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Manager Hoyden posted:

I always end up disappointed with melee in general because late game zombies are about 90% kevlar hulks and skeletal juggernauts. They can be handled of course, but not without some specialization.

Speaking of which, I wish they'd make a few more tiers of enemies and a much bigger variety.

Try turning off evolution while increasing spawns and resilience, imo. This way you still see incredibly tough highly evolved creatures in 'hard' locations while also being able to eventually wade through the sea of lower tier zombies.