Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I only really got into this game pretty recently, so I probably don't know what I missed in terms of lovely changes, but I've been playing it pretty solidly for about three weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

I got into it about two or three years ago and had a similar experience. Everyone said the game had lost its charm but I was hooked all the same. There's definitely been ups and downs but I obviously don't think it's become unplayable or anything.

Yeah, I mean I'm having a blast. I tend to throw on nearly all of the mods that come with the launcher, and I started just in time to get under the wire and still have the dead people tiles installed. I really want to get into the retrodays set, but it's not quite doing it for me so far.

But yeah, I'm not trying to say the game is as good as it used to be, or that anyone is wrong or anything - just wanted to point out that as a newbie, the game is perfectly good fun. I know of various changes that probably were terrible to longer term players, but I can't miss what I never had.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

mormonpartyboat posted:

havent tried in a while so maybe they changed it?

i also saw a recipe for a washboard with a rag so i really dont know how any of its supposed to work now

Soap and/or detergent definitely works with a sponge for cleaning 'hard' items like a riot helmet, did it last night. So I dunno, maybe save soap for those items, and detergent for fabrics.

E: Luxury RVs, if you find one, have a washing machine in them, which really takes the ballache out of it. Put the clothes in, set it going, come back a couple hours later.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Although Magiclysm seems pretty fun, from what I've dabbled with.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I also find that things that take a long time with a 'waiting' spinner (sleeping, reading) take a fuckton of time if you've been out and about exploring a fair amount of the map, unless you either save and quit and come back in, or just quicksave before you start doing these things. Saving seems to dump off a lot of the map tiles into the save, and speeds tasks like these up enormously.

If, like you do some days, you're just sitting around in your base crafting and such, it doesn't matter, it's only when I've gone overland that sleeping and the like seem to take forever unless you save first.

It's also fairly good practice to quicksave when you get home anyhow - I don't know about anyone else, but I went through a week or two earlier this month in experimental where if the game was doing anything 'busy' (usually driving a vehicle through a populated town), it'd throw a segfault and crash. There was a point in the last month where somehow the volume of soda in cans and bottles was also causing a segfault. They've fixed both of these now, and fairly quickly, but the point is, unless you're playing stable (and I think most people don't), save often.

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 19, 2019

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Maarak posted:

Clear-cutting two lane roads through the forest and generating enough lumber for one of those NPC camps. Is this even close to feasible, or are deathmobiles limited to sawing through zombies?

You can find like killdozers sitting around in the game, though they're rare, and you can definitely add things like spikes and armor to existing vehicles. One of the best things I ever found was a working steamroller, just ran it up and down the main street of a town flattening zombies.

I don't think there's anything that'll handle trees though, even bushes tend to rip the poo poo out of vehicles worse than anything a zombie can do to it.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

First time seeing a small amusement park tonight, complete with a horde of zombie kids and a miniature railway. The railway actually works, you can get in the single-seater trains and zoom around the track, which was momentarily amusing.

Also a trolley problem reference. I didn't set that up, it spawns like that.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

So I just went to the trouble of putting a forge together for the first time, and then realized all the cool swords seem to need either fab 8 or 9 (I'm at about 6), or are recipes in books I don't have yet.

There anything cool I can make with this thing you'd all recommend?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

As for stuff to make without a book... machete might be your best bet. If you have melee 5 make a blade and turn it into the slightly superior Survivor Machete.

Not quite up to 5 yet, but I've been using a machete with this guy since day 1. I have a habit of playing random chars, and this one was a 'naked and afraid' start, in one of those farms with a barn full of angry zombies and animals next to the house. Guy's been an absolute badass, and I've just been trundling around between rural towns macheteing zombies for about 30 days now.

Definitely gonna look to upgrade to that survivor machete though, thanks!

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Leal posted:

I'm surprised fire still really fucky in this game. I had to evacuate my house mid cooking because the fire I started in my oven was just so strong that it was damaging me. Cause lord knows I gotta put on my firefighter suit whenever I preheat the oven to 400.

If anyone knows how to specifically avoid this - less fuel, using a proper woodburning stove instead of a kitchen stove, or something - I'd love to know, as it's a pain in the arse. My current character was lucky enough to find an atompot early, which has taken so much of the pain out of cooking.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Are you (e)xamining the stove tile to light it or are you (a)ctivating a lighter/matchbook/whatever and lighting the tile on fire? The second method is hazardous to your health and house.

I'm personally doing the latter, I think I found out the problems with the other pretty quickly.

Being next to the fire for any length of time definitely superheats you though, to the point where I generally extinguish it once I'm done cooking if I'm going to be reading or crafting.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I've been playing this game for a good while, and I can't believe it'd never occurred to me before to try Molotov cocktails to deal with a few big crowds of zombies.

Works like a loving charm, and it seems to keep burning forever, so I've just been leading more and more groups into the flames.

My only concern is how to pulp the corpses at some point, because it's too hot to stand next to for any period of time.

Oh well. I'm sure there's absolutely no way this can backfire on me!

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Molotovs are incredible. I think you don't need to pulp corpses in the raging inferno, the fire does for them just fine.

It did go out eventually, after leading like 4 packs of Zs into it, and yeah, there were a lot less bodies left than there should have been.

I know some corpses will resurrect as scorched zombies if you just leave them in a fire, though.

The child zombies that do this are called 'kinderlings'.

This is a good pun.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

As lone badger said, use a container for water and fill it at any source. I personally use the 60l tank which you can either craft or remove from vehicles. And I get my water from a shallow puddle at the edge of a forest next to my house. It's infinite as far as I can tell

There's usually a water cistern on top of evac shelters that disassembles into four 60L tanks. I'm camping out in a shelter in my current run, I've got two set up under funnels to collect rainwater (which even though they fixed the weather so it doesn't constantly rain, they still fill up over a few days), a third inside full of water to boil, and the remaining one I constructed into a pipe stove. I'm starting to get some creature comforts going on in here.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

tokenbrownguy posted:

Magiclism looks dope. Any other mods I should add for a full gently caress it ridiculous game?

I like Aftershock, which adds a bunch of scifi-ish silliness. If nothing else, there's certain tools added to spawn really rarely like atomic coffee pots and crockpots, which basically have an infinite fuel source, and that takes SO much of the ballache out of making a fire to cook things if you're lucky enough to find one.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

Are you playing the experimental? Because in the stable release it isn't and still comes from mechanics+dex and encumbrance

It's in experimental.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

Apparently the place I'm meant to assault is a Necropolis?

Kinda annoyingly vague since that tileset could be anywhere. From what I'm gathering its an endgame-intended area anyway.

Last I heard (watching one of Vormithrax's playthroughs), Necropolises aren't spawning in the game of late. That was a few months ago, they could well have fixed that since then. Or not.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

A page or two back someone was asking about Necropolises, and I said I thought they weren't appearing in the game at present. Well, apparently they are, because one showed up in my current game. I wouldn't have even noticed it had there not been an irradiated wanderer on the outskirts.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I don't know poo poo about guns, but the M4A1 has the advantage that it seems like nearly every damned zombie soldier and dead body of a soldier has one, so if you're patient enough to unload everything, you can end up with a fair pile of ammo.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

SIG552s use the same ammo (5.56x45 NATO) and even the same magazines (STANAGs). Hurray for the STANdardization AGreement! :v:

See, I said I don't know poo poo about guns ;)

I have been in situations where I've managed to take down a turret and that meant ammo forever, but the hard part is getting that turret down to start with.

I really just use whatever I've managed to loot a lot of, most of the times. It's a rare character that manages to get to a point where I'm jumping into labs and such.

Case in point yesterday, which was probably my stupidest death to date: Dropping the stack of loot I'd just brought home, along with the joint I'd just lit. My entire house went up like it was doused in kerosene.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Once they actually fix pants, though, it's going to be amazing. Used to be the case that it was easier to put new pants on before you take the old ones off, just so you didn't drop a dozen items on the floor.

Now it's much more realistic, you can take off the original pants first. And then you realize the dozen items are still in the pants, and you have to unload them, which makes your character pick them up and wield the pants.

At which point it seems like wielded pants are counted as something you have with pockets again, so if you take anything out of them, the items go into your inventory. Specifically, back into the pants. It's a never-ending loop of pants pockets.

The way around this, as far I can tell, is to dump everything in your pants pockets on the floor, then carefully remove the pants and drop them elsewhere, wear the new ones, and pick everything back up. Which obviously is much better than the old way.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

It's been said many a time in this thread, but you can't go wrong with a cudgel early game, too. I always thought they were kinda 'eh' in terms of damage, but they're faster than bigger weapons, and stupidly easy to make with 0 fabrication. The really important thing about them, though, is they lay down a stun on zombies pretty regularly. If you can stun a zombie with a cudgel, you can pretty much proceed to beat it to death before it has a chance to recover.

Also been messing around with martial arts/unarmed combat in a lab start. I have no idea which martial art is best, but I've been using a mutant character with fangs, a couple of levels of unarmed combat, melee and dodging, and picking judo. It's pretty hilarious when you're biting things for about 20 damage, then flipping them over your shoulder and slamming them to the ground. Prone and stunned pretty much finishes off anything you're likely to meet in a lab that's not a shoggoth or a turret.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Oh yeah, I'm talking about starting game, though. If you don't start with or find something better right away, they'll do until you do.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Carcer posted:

Be careful with nomad gear, its hot as hell and I could not wait to switch over to survivor gear to stop my character overheating all the time.

There's light nomad gear too, which is about 30 warmth points lower. Also heavy and winter varieties for most of these outfits.

I haven't hit summer yet in what's turning out to be one of the best chars I've had, but I'm running round in a light nomad suit and light survivor cowl/mask/gloves/boots, and I'm staying at comfortable unless I'm cooking next to a fire for hours.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Carcer posted:

Light nomad gear would have been a good choice but A) I didn't see it in the giant crafting list and B) it doesn't protect as well with half armor and 15% less coverage.

Yeah, it's a trade-off. I'd rather have less armor than whatever % of speed you lose if you start overheating. Still looking for more kevlar myself so I can trade it out for survivor gear.

Agreed on the sheer size of the menus. This run is possibly the first time I've seriously started buggering about with mechanics, and the amount of plates you need to keep spinning to work on that... Currently cutting up some wrecks and fixing up a few decent vehicles I have so I can get my mechanics from 4 to 5, so I can install a welding rig into a solar SUV I'm going to use to cruise around in. Slowed down by constantly swapping batteries between my arc welder and my recharging station, which will become moot once I get the bloody welding rig in.

Still, it's kind of differently entertaining so far, fitted a couple of water tanks and a water filtration system to it, and then I need to cruise around the couple of towns I've cleared out, see if I can source a minifridge and/or a hotplate or kitchen unit, maybe upgrade the cargo space, and then I'm off into the yonder.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

As it stands, can you even specify which container poo poo goes in right now? Can you prioritize containers or anything? I rolled back to 10614 a few days back, but when I was trying the new inventory stuff it seemed like the game had its own ideas on what to put where; it was keen on shoving anything that'd fit into my trouser pockets there for instance, and I couldn't figure out how to make it go 'no, put the stuff I'm picking up in the backpack I intend to drop when I'm fighting'.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I'm just hoping the final interface ends up being very useful, like the current autosort system, which is fantastic - rather than basic as hell, like the mutation/bionics menus, which considering they're a core part of the game, feel like a mod like Magiclysm. Hopefully they'll also feel kind of integrated into the way the inventory system works, unlike say the vehicle modding system, which feels like a whole separate game in itself.

I'm optimistic - it's already impressive they've managed to add it at all, I know it's taken a long-rear end time, and it's miles ahead of some of the interface cruft you see in Dwarf Fortress. But, y'know... Cataclysm.

E: And hopefully doesn't have dozens of branching submenus, like the NPC system. Frankly I leave NPCs to be devoured by zombies rather than mess around with that too much.

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 9, 2020

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Ms Adequate posted:

Okay after an INTENSE couple of days I seem to have just barely survived, going to take a long time to recover from this but that will teach me to go digging in craters :v:

Well, that's something I've wondered for a while, but never got round to trying. I guess I can learn from your mistakes instead ;)

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

reignonyourparade posted:

I'm not actually sure feral runners are "evolved," I've definitely seen them in the starts where you start surrounded first move.

I think runners are the base 'fast zombie', so you're always going to get them; hunters and predators being the evolved versions, and christ knows what past that. I have no idea if there's a feral brute or hulk or anything.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Stathol posted:

Lots of clothing items are made from leather and can be butchered for it. If you're real desperate, you can even wash the filthy leather stuff that zombies drop and butcher that.

If you're just not seeing much leather clothing, with a level or two of mechanics (and maybe a wrench or something), you can remove seats from vehicles and butcher those for leather. Used to be pretty much all vehicles, but you only find them in 'expensive' cars nowadays - mostly sports cars and limos.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

Is there an alternative for casters when you want to make a mobile basket? Haven't found a hacksaw to make the casters :(

Make a travois . You only need a couple of light wooden frames and a few bits of short rope.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Railway stations are populated and stuff now, but they're just there, there's no tracks between towns or anything.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Moose used to be incredibly arbitrary, but apparently nowadays they're only seriously aggressive during mating season in the fall.

Ants are kind of a special case, in that the workers will generally leave you alone, unless you make any kind of loud noise, at which point they go berserk. I have no idea what counts as a loud noise, and do my best to not find out.

If they're acid ants, I generally just nope the gently caress out and find a different area of map to explore, because they're going to get you killed one way or another.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

I've just went through the multi-day process of scrounging enough steel to make an anvil without the luxury of having a dump where I can easily get the materials from. While doing that I noticed that smashing cars for materials only seems to work on certain tiles. On other tiles my sledge did nothing to the car and the log said that I couldn't damage the pavement. Is there any logic as to which car tiles are smashable and which just make me hit the pavement?

If you've the tools, I've always just used a few steel or heavy duty frames instead of lumps of steel to make an anvil, which you can get by deconstructing the various vehicles.

If you've already got your crucible made and either a forge or a welder, you can disassemble steel frames into lumps or chunks of steel too.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Ah, yeah. Wrenches are easier to get hold of than they used to be, but I've had games like that where one just doesn't show up.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Been a week or two since I played , are they getting anywhere towards fixing containers?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Caidin posted:

If you cross the feline threshold does cat food become tasty? :thunk:

I'm not saying it definitively does, but other lines have stuff like that. Like how the rat mutation line lets you eat rotten food with no penalties at all, and eventually lets you drink unboiled water.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

They've actually changed flaming eyes in the latest experimental, thank god.

https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/40494

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

To be fair, I've found the panaceus pills more in the last few weeks than I've ever seen royal jelly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

I think the biggest issue is that labs are full of turrets and are also the only place to go to get cool fun stuff so there's a big incentive for the player to try to do labs ASAP.

Well good news, the only turret you see in a lab now is the one at the entrance if you don't use a keycard! I can't find the exact build when it happened, but they've gone, very recently.