Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Does temperature affect the food decay rate in any way? Can I drag a refrigerator to my base and hook it up to a generator, or is it just like another container? I really like the whole crafting and base building game, but it seems that power generation is used mostly for vehicles.

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Addictive Personality, Animal Discord, Heavy Sleeper, Lightweight, Trigger Happy, Truth Teller, Ugly

Night Vision is pretty awesome for looting the city, I can't play without it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Welp, I think I completely hosed my best playthrough so far. I've holed up in a cathedral and managed to accumulate a pretty good stash of tools and materials. Cleared up a good chunk of a nearby town, no significant hazards nearby. A zombie bit me and there aren't any pharmacies nearby, the closest thing is adoctor's office. It's completely empty except for a locked room behind a steel door. Of course, I bricked the console like an idiot. So, I crafted a few pipe bombs, and like an even bigger idiot, instead of throwing it, I lay it beside the door and walk away. :negative:

Now I'm all hosed up from the explosion, with a few additional bite wounds, dead tired and wrecked by infection. Is there any way I can get through that door? I have access to gasoline and crafting skills in the 3-4 range. No vehicle though. I threw like 3 pipe bombs at that thing with no effect.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Yeah, that's the problem, I have zero med supplies and I checked all the nearby houses already. However, I might be able to make grenades if I get a hold of some pilot lights. I also forgot there's a minefield nearby, is it possible to dig up mines?

Surely, nothing can go wrong with this.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Lol, I'm dumb as hell, I have both a jackhammer and a torch :downs:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

berzerker posted:

Odds are there's nothing of real value in that back office though, you're still playing long odds. You're almost better off just running around checking backrooms. A first aid kit will clean up an infection too, as will royal jelly.

I got lucky, there was a bottle of antibiotic. The saga of cybercop Junior Meza continues.

e: Any tips on building a solar power unit to power a crafting station? How many panels / frames should I aim for?

e2: Oh poo poo, disassembling solar panels yields separate cells? That's not good.

grate deceiver fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 21, 2015

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Yeah, that seems to be the easiest way.

So, an electric car left to itself will charge it's batteries automatically, right? I ask because I have a few sitting around, and they seem to be permanently stuck at the same battery level. This is inside my reality bubble, so I wonder if I need to turn it on or something.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Oh gently caress oh gently caress

I started a fire on my fireplace to make some arrows. I set up a batch of about 10 bundles, some messages pop up that I instinctively click through, it's probably a dumb cough or something. Welp, turns out that instead of in the fireplace, I set fire to a bench next to it. So suddenly the whole base if full of smoke, I'm burned and don't see poo poo. Before I take one step towards a nearby jug of water, my gasoline stash catches fire.

So not only is my dude hosed, I probably lost the entire stock of food, tools, skillbooks and materials collected over two seasons. :negative:
Then the ceiling collapsed on top of me.

As an aside, it's kinda funny what kind of events the memorial file is curently tracking

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

B-but then I'd have to walk out there with my stuff every time to craft and and :negative:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Any advice on using mutagen serums? I never got to play around with mutations much, but I'm kinda weary of screwing myself out of a pretty good character. I found 2x slime ones, one ursine, and one called just 'mutagenic serum'. Are they any good, or should I look for better ones? Iirc, mutations don't prevent you from installing CBMs, right?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Step one is to have Robust Genetics. It doubles the chance of you getting a beneficial mutation.
Step two is to have Purifier on hand before doing anything. I recommend finding the books for mutagens and brewing some up for yourself, that way you'll always have plenty.
Step three is to take it slow. Both mutating and purifying are bad for your health, and you'll probably need to take a lot before ending up with a good set of mutations. No need to do it all at once.

Mutating doesn't affect CBMs at this point.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say I have Robust, but good point on the purifier. I'd better hold out a bit.

How abot starting a game with a Robust/Unstable/Radiogenic/Radioactive combo? Looks like it could lead to some amazing and/or hilarious things, but I haven't managed to get a char very far with it.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Wild T posted:

The only gripe I have is that the focus on books has made it way more grindy. It seems like my characters' goal in life is simply to sneak into libraries and grocery stores to stock up for six-day marathon cram sessions to learn how to do anything useful. On the bright side I've taken to building bookcases and leaving handy libraries (along with a starting arsenal) for new characters if they happen to spawn near where one of my vets was aced.

You can get pretty much every crafting skill to 4-5 just by making stuff that you'd want to make anyway. Survival 3 you'll get on day 1 just by foraging bushes and butchering.

Computers though seems to be near impossible to raise naturally, unless I'm missing something. Construction and driving can also be a pain in the rear end to get started.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

this right here is some godsend info.

The majority of my deaths are caused by running out of time carrying like one burger and a soda back from town while I'm hunting for backpacks and other loot and dodging insane zombie bastards.

Take Night Vision at chargen and only loot at night at the edge of town. Enjoy your tons of free stuff.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just lost a survivor of 46 days, slayer of over 200 zombies by charging a turret with a katana. Realised I forgot to put on my heavy armor before leaving :downs: At least I didn't blow up my base in a cooking accident this time. Rip in peace, Snow 'Meow'.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Blackray Jack posted:

It told me digging holes no longer gives me experience, though.

EDIT: Yep, tried to deepen them to real pits, still no XP.

EDIT: Alright what's good for taking survival from 2 to 3?

The only viable way to get cons from 1 to 2 is chopping tree trunks, I think. Then you can do the same but into planks for 2 to 3.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I didn't figure this out for the longest time, but consoles give enough light in a 1-tile radius to craft and read at night. There's always a working one in an evac shelter.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Some gunstores have an entire section of the shop with reloading tools, primers, gunpowder and so on. There are books with ammo recipes, but I think you can also get some of them by levelling the respective crafting skill. I don't use guns often, but I think it's fabrication and marksmanship.

^what he said pretty much

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Good idea, let's make the wandering kleptomaniac psychopaths even more prone to randomly loving the player over without warning. In fact, they should spawn in their own vehicles occasionally, so they can ram through the wall of the shelter you're sleeping in, screaming HEY BUDDY I ABSOLUTELY WANT TO TALK TO YOU and then demanding that you DROP YOUR WEAPON rear end in a top hat while the roof collapses and their truck explodes. DON'T MOVE A MUSCLE SUCKER they howl, while the two of you lie buried in rubble and engulfed in flames. DON'T MOVE A GOD drat MUSCLE.

:agreed:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

No way to disable it without starting a new game is there?

I'm pretty sure you can turn it on/off at any time, it's right there in the debug options.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Probably because the recipe you have involves cutting full sized cargo pants at the knees.

It's the same with trenchcoats - you get a recipe for sleeveless trenchcoats early, which takes a normal trenchcoat and a cutting tool. Later, you can learn to actually make the thing from scratch.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Solid Poopsnake posted:

The recipe I had used rags. I've since found another book that gave me the receipe for full pants, or I'd screencap it.

Oh, I think I mistook it for denim shorts. In that case, yeah, it's dumb.

Edit: Related trick that is kinda sorta useful early on - if you find a badly damaged trenchcoat or duster, you can turn it into a full durability sleeveless one for the cost of 3 points of arm protection and some warmth.

grate deceiver fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 7, 2016

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

gears and poo poo can break down, and depending on the type of gears, the engines work differently?

Lol, sure sounds like a productive thing to add to this turn-based text game.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

They changed < and > for changing tabs to Tab and shift+Tab lmao, I had to google what backtab even is, what the gently caress is wrong with those people.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Why does minimizing the window kill the entire session? Is there some setting to change this behavior?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Lmao, I just tried to go to sleep outdoors in a sleeping bag, but instead tossed and turned for an entire TWO DAYS before becoming famished, parched and exhausted

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Lmao, I just found a recipe for a H&K MP5 hidden in a briefcase. Even the item description says it's unwieldy and worse in every way than just having the gun. Why, why put it in a game where weapon concealment is never ever a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

You know what, I used to think it's stupid that they added a thousand recipes for slightly different types of pasta, but now I kinda enjoy playing wasteland chef.