Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP
And if you work retail like I work retail
You would also scream like I scream

Cardiovorax posted:

A fun thing to do in Cataclysm: Collect a bunch of zombie corpses. Pile them up in a locked room. Wait for them to reanimate. Use zombie pheromones on some of them. Instant zombie pit fight.

For a second there I thought you were going to say "Pile them in a locked room then throw a molotov inside"

I've actually got sick of being chased by a large amount of zombies in an area, so I dropped a bunch of wood and unwanted clothes inside of a house then set it on fire when all the zombies came in and jumped out the nearest window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I just encountered the strangest bug,

I pressed something, I really don't know what, and all of a sudden all of the default actions return the 'unknown command' message, the strange thing is that this only applies to actions bound to the small caps letters, that is, if I try to fire my rifle with 'f' I get 'unknown command', however, if I press Shift + F to change fire modes, it works correctly. I tried restarting the application and it doesn't make a different. I need to fire my guns to survive this apocalypse dammit!

Also, how long does alcohol withdrawal last, it must have been 4-5 in game days where my hobo is depressed and catching a cold every five minutes, seems a bit long.

Turn off caps lock.

I misread, disregard me.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

aerion111 posted:

Heck, he's not even the first to have the idea - it feels like one in five zombie-related stories will have at least one zombie end up captured and rendered harmless in one way or another.

You can blame Walking Dead for this, one character in that show cut off the arms and lower jaw of her friends or brothers or something and walks them around tied to a leash like a bunch of pet zombies.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think sodas, hot dogs, and a crapton of other pre-Cataclysm food are flagged as Junk Food, so if you have anything that makes your digestion conflict with junk food, you're in for a lot of sadness in the early game. I made a junkfood-intolerant character thinking I'd just eat looted food and avoid chips and stuff until I got some farming or hunting going, but that crashed and burned pretty bad when I ended up really hungry with nothing but two packs of uncooked hot dogs, and eating them stacked up "disliked uncooked hot dogs" and junkfood penalties until my dude was hilariously depressed with -500 mood or something absurd like that. He literally ate a bunch of hot dogs and become more upset than he would have for murdering five innocent people in a row, or probably for murdering and eating an entire human.

Food intolerance drawbacks are goofy as hell right now, is what I'm saying.

Nah, I'm sure there are some food snobs who would literally think eating something like a hot dog is worse then murdering people.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

I recently picked the game back up again, did they remove burning zombie corpses to stop them from reanimating? I cleared off a little area and threw all the corpses into a pile and set that fucker on fire, all the corpses were called "burnt corpse" so I assumed I did it right. Few hours later they all jump out of the pile. Should I of kept burning them until the corpses became ash?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Yeah you have to burn them away for that to work. You can still butcher them or 's'mash them to keep it from happening.

Never knew about pulping them, kinda makes burning corpses pointless.

So I found my first vibrator. My god, that is a hella high increase to morale. Leave it to nerds to decide a vibrator improves one's mood better then listening to music, smoking a joint and eating some girl scout cookies.

Leal fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 14, 2015

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

I keep forgetting to bring some tools with me when I go out exploring and notice that a hell of a lot of sealed crates I come across are empty, they didn't put in a dick move where smashing crates open destroys the contents did they?

Also I keep randomly hearing voices, everytime it goes the same way: Its coming for us, I love you, I love the smell of napalm in the morning. I look high and low and don't see any humans around, what is this?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

Blackray Jack posted:

So uh I was switching out my trench knife for this new hunting knife I found and I press the wrong key, resulting in these options.

http://i.imgur.com/AMlWpdg.png

I'm keeping it a direct link so as to avoid spoilers, but yeah. Can anyone explain? :stare:

Also, is there a way to disassemble something on the ground? Like say a policebot. I can't carry it cause then it'd cause me to go overweight and I just shot myself up to 100 pain trying to disassemble it.

Have you ever watched the Walking Dead? You know the girl with the katanas and how she has 2 of her friends or brothers or whatever following her on a leash with their arms cut and bottom jaws sliced off? Yeah

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

Burning building scenario start, lets see whats in st

:yikes:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

Are NPCs supposed to be so regoddamndiculous? I've read about people getting headshotted from a burst pistol from across the screen but my beef with them is that they're way too drat good at killing zombies. If I run into one in town they just murder every single zombie that was chasing me then goes and clears a few more blocks of zombies for good measure.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

I'm setting up a crafting room, can you use items even if you can't see them? Say if they're in a cupboard? I hate the item spam when I look around the room and that seems to be the solution.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Yeah, should work fine.

Perfect, as an added bonus cupboards require less materials and it'll get me to 5 construction. Another question: I found a house with a basement that has dirt tiles in there (along with cannabis), will plant growing work down there?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

So I'm currently building some barriers as a vehicle, I want to make these powered so I can flick on floodlights and maybe even throw turrets on them (though by the time I can get my skills there I'm sure I would of emptied out the entire town...). So do the different engines have different efficiencies? Or does the type of engine only determine the speed of the vehicle?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

With static spawns set to true and wandering spawns enabled are the hoardes finite or is it effectively setting static to false and spawns infinite zombies?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

Artificer posted:

There's no way ingame character diets are healthy.

Dunno what you're talking about, chugging down a couple cans of sodium filled soup works wonders for keeping yourself hydrated!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

Mr. Miyagi needed to take all your guns and ammo to train you to capture a bullet mid-flight with chopsticks.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

Decided to fire this up again and its pretty fun sticking with addictions instead of just sitting down with a book and cold turkey-ing the withdrawals away. Ran out of cigs and none of the nearby houses had any cigs, so I grabbed my shotgun and started breaking into various stores in hopes of grabbing a pack of smokes. No success with stores, but I had success at the end of the night by finding a pack of smokes in a car.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

So I'm still playing 0.C, whats been updated since then? Last I heard the devs wanted to do stupid poo poo like make guns less viable by removing or severely nerfing bullet creation, and give you a disease for eating too many vitamins cause it isn't kosher to use them in place of actual fruits and veggies? Did they do that and add more fetishes to the game? Should I still stick with 0.C?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

Is there really no way to tell my followers to just give me their poo poo? I gave someone a holster with a loaded pistol but they don't seem to be smart enough to know how to use it (I thought they would, I originally didn't think they were smart enough to get in car seats) and it seems I have to get a bunch of cash cards to "buy" it back.

E: Unrelated

Leal fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 19, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

I dunno what you guys are going on about, I spent a night in an van using the console's lights so I can read while smoking a joint and listening to music, had my post apocalypse bud exclaim "That smells like some good poo poo!" and handed the joint over to him while we both chowed down on toaster strudels. Completely realistic, takes me back to high school.

Decided to make a hole in the house I'm setting up base at so I can run solar power inside, had issues making said hole until I got the great idea to simply weld some steel plating onto the front of my car and plow it into the wall to make a single opening. That takes me back to college :buddy:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

Trying out wanderer spawns, did they ever fix the problem of farting in the forest and attracting a mix of 200 hulks, brutes and necromancers? Also are multistory brick houses supposed to be completely devoid of stuff? All the furniture was empty, some sealed crates had some promise... until I came back with a crowbar and popped them open to see that they were completely empty.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

3d buildings is very much experimental and not really supported yet last I checked, so no probably not supposed to be but them's the brakes, it's just in for testing and not play.

Shame, guess I can use them to burn up hordes. I have found and fell in love with the welding cart vehicle. No speed penalty for dragging it and they hold just as much as a shopping cart does. When I had to bug out of my last base I went the distance to drag it to my new base.

So were zombie changed to be complete vandals in the experimentals? I'll be wandering around and suddenly a bunch of zombies will decide they're going to break a car or start beating the walls to random buildings. I thought this game took place in future England and not 2011 Vancouver.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

Is the radius for crafting still 6x6 in the experimentals?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

Roobanguy posted:

keep restarting until you land in a tiny 6 house town. :v:

One of my runs ended when I started in a town of 4 houses and all of their basements led to lava. That was... odd.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

Nothing kills the joy of seeing a horde of zombies be occupied by a tank drone then realizing the tank drone just set both the library and hardware store on fire :smith:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

Mzbundifund posted:

The solution to this is to run away and quickly get the burning buildings out of the reality bubble, then return when it's raining.

Its too late, I was looting the garage across the street and when I realized what the deal was I jumped through a window and saw all the bookcases were already burning :smithcloud:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

Alright, I give up: Where the hell are the computers that decrypt black boxes? I must of done 10 laps around this lab and haven't found any computers that isn't a barracks access, log terminal, containment, or prisoner terminal.

Also do NPCs starve to death or can I tell them to stuff it when I don't want to put up with feeding/watering them every 4 hours?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

Mzbundifund posted:

Even if bear traps are potentially dangerous at 0 trap skill, you can grind your trap skill up to 1 easily and effortlessly by just placing and disarming a nailboard trap a few times. I've never failed to disarm a nailboard - I don't think it's possible.

If you haven't already, I highly suggest setting your starting time to shortly after sunset, it is MUCH easier to avoid zombies in the dark. Take the Night Vision perk.

I'm imagining someone failing to "disarm" a board with nails in it and it is hilarious.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

Today I found a credit chip with like 2 million credits on it, looks like I'll be visiting the nearby refugee center a lot.

Also found an NPC in the middle of nowhere and had her join me, I only had my superbike so I was worried I'd have to coast as she followed me around. Then she sat in the basket I installed in the back, I'm now having this image of someone carting around a thousand cans of beans and a person on their bike.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

So... I guess friendly NPCs don't fight hostile NPCs? So much for gearing my followers up to raid the nearby bandit compound :smith:

I thought it was weird when the raiders let their captives run away and not bother shooting them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

Yeah zombies can apparently punch gas tanks so hard they combust. It really drives me crazy when I'm sneaking around and I see a bunch of zombies beating on cars cause they attract more zombies who beat on the car and that is valuable equipment I can strip off the vehicle. Also the explosions can capture nearby buildings on fire, say gun stores.

If you have the more vehicles add on which adds tanks its hilarious if you get enough mechanics to rip off the m2 browning turret and bolt them onto a light frame with casters. The new vehicles give up .50 BMG like nothing, so rolling into town and popping some earplugs just shreds the hordes.

E: Is gaining xp from shooting turrets bugged? Game keeps telling me my rifles skill went to 2... multiple times, but its still stuck at 1.

E2: Oh and one of my companions has a bugged quest that I accepted, it tells me "Someone didn't write this dialogue the message ID is 78" and it gave me a "Find a book" mission that I'm not sure how to finish.

Leal fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 3, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

Nah, skill rust was one of the first things I turned off cause its dumb forgetting how to drive your car after a night's rest. And weirdly enough, I got a bb rifle just to train myself... except now I can't find any pellets :argh:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

Ahahah gently caress, I learned that a grappler zombie can rip you out of vehicles. God drat, that was a painful lesson.

So is there any reason why I wouldn't want to go with any armor that doesn't have a survivor prefix? I was thinking of adding kevlar to my duster but hey I can just save that kevlar to make a survivor duster that'll have just as much defense with half the encumbrance.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

silentsnack posted:

Just use the debug menu to give them the DebugLifeSupport mutation so they never get hungry/thirsty/sleepy (and VeryFastHealer so they actually regenerate HP sometimes without you having to bandage them up constantly)

Holy poo poo thank you. Food and drink was annoying but at least they still function, my problem was their sleeping schedules would get all hosed up and you'd have to baby sit telling them to stay awake when you go out and then telling them to sleep when tired when back at base or else they'll decide to stay awake then decide fighting a horde is a great time to go to sleep.

Hitting summer on my horde spawn (though I set the seasons to 31 days) and while yeah you don't have to worry about dragging a dresser and having 50 zombies spawn on you I seemed to have cleared out the nearby town too well and I'm lucky to have a whole 5 zombies attacking my base. Usually though I'll have 1 zombie and for whatever reason this apparently warrants a horde Z on the map.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

I like to embark with a few points in driving so my character isn't a complete loving moron and can do basic things like "Keep a car going 10 down a completely empty street straight". There is zero reason for me to lose control of my car driving slower then a granny without turning the vehicle, I mean car wheels automatically turn to neutral position if you let them go so that means my character is randomly deciding to jerk the wheel for no reason.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

Maybe that was just something in earlier versions of the game and I've been traumatized by it and keep putting points in driving long after it stopped being an issue.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

This is going to be lame but drag a bunch of zombies to them, the turrets don't have infinite ammo. You might be able to find some EMP grenades which can work, some turrets (provided my only experience is the 9mm machine gun ones) have shorter range then your throwing range.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

Jack Trades posted:

How do book recipes work exactly? Is there a way to commit them to memory or something?

You read the book over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

Or you just keep a copy of the book near your crafting area and not worry.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

I dunno, padding stuff out really shoots up the encumbrance and next thing you know for the crime of wearing a backpack and a leather padded sports bra makes you stumble trying to hit everything that isn't a hulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP

Tiler Kiwi posted:

cataclysm realism != actual realism

My favorite example of cataclysm realism is forgetting how to aim a gun after sleeping for 8 hours because the knowledge "degraded". Or how cooking over an open fire makes my dude stand open mouthed right over the fire and deeply inhales the smoke and starts coughing so hard it hurts so while purifying water I get spammed with "You got hurt, stop cooking?"