Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

I made a lumberjack and started in a cabin. Screamy the Lumberjack immediately discovered three zombies in her shed, so she murdered them with her axe and dumped their corpses in the woods. While there she came across a bunch of dead people with a shitload of cocaine, cigarettes, and pot. She brought all of this back to her house, drank some beer, went into the woods, got into a fight with a coyote, and snorted some coke to deal with the incredibly bad head wound it somehow managed to inflict. Then she looted a building next to an abandoned mine and found a vibrator with a fully-charged battery. Before she could bring her new acquisition home and add it to her post-apocalyptic chillzone stash, she encountered another coyote, which immediately bit her in the head and killed her. A+, would die again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

The OP says skills are mostly a newbie trap. Is that still true? I made a generic survivor with no skills but good stats and traits, and I've just cleared out a peaceful, isolated farmhouse within hiking distance of a city, so I think I'm going to set up shop here. I'll raid a library or something to gain some basic skills.

Also: parkour is really good. Being able to instantly traverse fences and the like can reliably stall a huge mob of zombies and give you some breathing room. gently caress those leaping Hunter guys though.

Million Ghosts posted:

Cataclysm: British Columbia edition.

I laughed so hard at this that I nearly hurt myself. Probably helps that I have a couple of friends from BC.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

The best trait is Drunken Master because I spend as much time as possible drunk and hitting things anyway.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

Bionic Assassin is a pretty neat start. I just walked into a FEMA camp and massacred and butchered dozens of zombies, including a couple of zombie scientists and a bunch of zombie soldiers. Now I'm decked out in combat gear and cargo clothing and I just popped open six lockers crammed full of guns, ammo, and gun mods. This is going to take multiple trips to haul back to my lair.

Now I just need to find some antibiotics for this bite wound :saddowns:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

Some rear end in a top hat just robbed me at gunpoint :stare:

e: I just opened a room in a house to find out what the gently caress was making so much noise, and discovered like 12 Z-9s trying to chew their way through the walls.

I burned the house down.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 9, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

How does running work, anyway? I can't find a command for it so I've just been walking away from things very briskly and occasionally throwing rocks at them..

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

To anyone considering trying a Burning Building start inside of a gun store: don't. Those things are big square boxes made of mostly windows and will immediately collapse on your head!! Shortest game ever.

Million Ghosts posted:

I almost wish there was a way to know if your character is gonna die to insane poo poo right away, cause then I wouldn't waste my time grinding skills before getting mulched immediately :suicide:

I usually make one or two reckless smash-and-grab runs through the edges of a city to see if I can get my hands on some decent poo poo. If I pull it off and live, great! Now I'll start grinding skills. If not, welp, it's not like I lost much time. This has the added advantage of letting me determine there's nothing seriously nasty in that area of town for future reference.

Funniest immediate mulching I had was probably when I started in a gun store, my allied NPC shot out the front windows and attracted a ton of zombies, I went over to help her fight, and then a Brute came through the loving wall out of nowhere and punched me clean through the opposite wall into the middle of a mob of undead. Welp!

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 10, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

Wait, you can do that? Can I actually mine out my own Dwarf Fortress-esque bomb shelter in this game? :aaa:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

It doesn't help that NPCs can often be crazy tough, so if you get mugged and can't/aren't willing to give up all your poo poo, you might be in for a hell of an unpleasant fight.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

And I just found out that a Muay Thai Black Belt with 14 strength/dexterity and a single point each in Melee and Unarmed (for a starting rank of 10) can annihilate loving near anything in close combat, as long as you maintain good mobility and are smart about how (and when) you engage your opponents. It's minmaxy as gently caress, but a great way to cruise around and learn more about the game.

Also, uppercutting Brutes so hard they die is loving rad.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

Also use the curtains to make a makeshift sling or two so you can carry lots of stuff. If you're cold, cutting up another curtain sheet will yield lots of rags for cobbling together some hand wraps or something, or a kaffiyeh if you have a cutting implement (you might need at least 1 tailoring, I forget).

You can use a sharp rock for butchering at first. A regular rock is sufficient to smash a locker or display rack, and it has hammering 1 so it can craft a spike, which lets you make a makeshift knife if you don't want to make a glass shiv for whatever reason.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

I have a revolver of some sort that can mount a shitload of mods, including a conversion. :stare: If I live long enough to grind up to the requisite skill level, I'm going to see if I can bodge a sniper conversion onto it and make a ridiculous scoped sniper revolver like the one in Fallout 3/New Vegas.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

Solid Poopsnake posted:

What's the name of it?

It's the RM99 revolver. It uses caseless ammunition, and can mount like 10 different mods and a conversion at the same time.

nftyw posted:

I thought sniper conversions were only for rifles? I know the homemade hand cannon that fires .45 I threw together for shits and giggles has room for a conversion mod.

I looked at the mod and yeah, it says rifles. What kinds of conversions are there for pistols?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

I have another Secret Technique to give you as well: be an angry god of fire. Do you have a matchbook or lighter? You can kill any basic zombie with relative ease. Lure a zombie towards you, such that its next step will be into a bush or small tree that is between you. Set that thing on fire. The zombie is now standing in the fire. You can stand there and hit it if you feel really gutsy and have the stuff to treat an infected bite, but the safest method is to dance away from it and set more bushes on fire as it passes through them. This will 100% guaranteed easily kill any single low-level undead and can even be used to gently caress up some of the nastier types, with a little patience and cleverness. When a zombie dies on one of your fires, quickly step up next to the fire and use 'e' to check what the zombie had on it. Some of the stuff might be a little burnt but you can pluck it out of the fire before it's destroyed.

Also remember to butcher zombie corpses if they're not burned/pulped to nothing. This keeps them from reanimating and making more trouble for you down the line.

e: Oh, I almost forgot - it helps to carry around a few rocks to throw at skeletons and skeletal dogs. Throwing is really, really accurate at very short ranges, and a few hurled rocks will kill skeletal opponents in short order. Conversely, trying to fight a skeletal enemy using a bladed weapon will invariably get you loving murdered, so don't do that. In most games, skeletons are like, the shittiest, least threatening chaff enemy you can find; to an early Cataclysm character they are raging knife-immune maniacs made of glass and hate, whose only purpose is to suicide-rush you and hurt you enough for the zombies to catch up and eat you. Throw rocks at them.

In other news, I started up a Stylish Optimist with no combat skills but a shitton of useful crafting/survival skills and a couple ranks in Speaking, intending to rely on allies and items to get by. Instead I fled from my idiot NPC pal and his one-man crusade against all the zombears and fungal critters he could find, found a working hatchback, fuelled it to full at an abandoned mining lot, and drove down the road to find a mansion with a gigantic library! :haw:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 13, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

I've seen the eternal flaming death cycle before. I really like "Le Petit Enfer," I'm gonna start calling it that.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

Always carry rocks, always throw them at skeletal dogs from extremely close range. Just machine-gun rocks at those fuckers.

Or, if you have fire, kite them into a bush and set it on fire. They'll die hilariously fast.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah I burned a soldier zombie to death and was all :gonk: oh god what :gonk: when a grenade it was carrying cooked off and deafened me. Good thing I had already moved away to skirmish with some other stuff.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Also, I really wish there was a way to couch a spear when in a vehicle.

This is basically what I want most from this game. Please let me be a radical post-apocalyptic biker knight.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

I think sodas, hot dogs, and a crapton of other pre-Cataclysm food are flagged as Junk Food, so if you have anything that makes your digestion conflict with junk food, you're in for a lot of sadness in the early game. I made a junkfood-intolerant character thinking I'd just eat looted food and avoid chips and stuff until I got some farming or hunting going, but that crashed and burned pretty bad when I ended up really hungry with nothing but two packs of uncooked hot dogs, and eating them stacked up "disliked uncooked hot dogs" and junkfood penalties until my dude was hilariously depressed with -500 mood or something absurd like that. He literally ate a bunch of hot dogs and become more upset than he would have for murdering five innocent people in a row, or probably for murdering and eating an entire human.

Food intolerance drawbacks are goofy as hell right now, is what I'm saying.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

Did you take the Burning Building scenario at any point in the past? I'm pretty sure the game doesn't differentiate between "shelter" and "vaguely shelter-shaped HELLISH INFERNO" in the location selector, so it'll happily fart your newborn character out amidst a raging Gehenna of pain and death if you happened to burn a shelter down with another character.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

Argh! Is there some way to place a "this is My poo poo, please do not break or purloin My poo poo" designation over your safehouse that prevents recruited NPCs from immediately stealing everything they moment they walk in? This is the second time I've had to murder a companion (and eat the massive morale penalty for doing so) because they headbutted through my windows and picked up a bunch of my most valuable resources. I really want to be able to build a proper safehouse and fill it with recruited survivors to form a little stronghold, but everyone I bring home apart from the static starting NPC instantly tries to gaffle everything in sight.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

gently caress sinkholes :( Had a really interesting jack-of-all-trades run that started out in a shelter with an infected companion, far from civilization, with a lab to the north, bunker to the south, and forests, swamps, and rivers most of the way around the edge of visible range. I was scraping by on foraging and hunting until I found a bunch of dead scientists and popped open that lab (had to sneak past a tank drone to get there!), and discovered it was an ice lab. I was in the process of poking around the swamp for food so I could gear up for a bundled-up lab dive to look for antibiotics when I stepped into a sinkhole. With no rope to get out, I was basically stuck in a little pit, unable to do anything; I was cutting up my clothes for rags to weave together a rope, which I thought was really clever, until I found out that dropping or disassembling anything while in a sinkhole causes you to "put your <item> in the solid rock" and effectively destroy it. The most depressing death :negative:

Still, I can start up another character to look around that lab - there were some loving sweet CBMs in there, including a Joint Torsion Ratchet and I think an Integrated Toolset. I just need to go in prepared.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

Low level Archery is obnoxiously stupid and unintuitive in that it has a fuckload of ammunition recipes which all require a bunch of different parts, and you can craft some of the parts for arrow types you can't craft yet, so you end up with a mess of poo poo that's called arrows but isn't arrows and a handful of really crappy arrows that are arrows but are bad. IMO the "unfletched <arrow type>" and "fletched <same arrow type>" recipes should always unlock at the same level.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

I finally escaped from a Lab start! It was a harrowing tale with many close calls, but my unwilling mutant and her shotgun-toting companion managed to flee the facility through a sewer channel, once she'd saved him by getting some antibiotics to help him treat his infection. Unfortunately her pal died mysteriously while they were fighting dozens of giant ants (I'm guessing either poison or bleeding did him in), leaving her to wade through the sewage and fight the ants by herself, armed with only a makeshift crowbar and a steely will to live. After three loving days of wading through the sewers, sustaining herself on raw ant meat and hoarded clean water, she finally emerged into some subway tunnels! A lengthy wander and two narrowly-won battles against Mi-Go later, the mutant triumphantly ascended into natural sunlight and glorious, blessed freedom. Now she's holed up in a nice little house with tons of food and water and plenty of books to read. Also, she's mutating into a lizard.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Needs to be a way to push zombies now. I want to kill them with fall damage from a skyscraper!

Blunt criticals can make them stagger around randomly. I've killed a couple by making them stumble out of broken windows in office buildings. Z-level fall damage seems to be instantly fatal to zombies, judging from the fact that falling from one story up apparently does enough harm to automatically kill a tough zombie.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

Well, my escaped mutant died because a wandering survivor told her to drop her weapon, warned her to get lost, and then shot her 77,000 times when she failed to get lost fast enough due to being tired, hurt, and cold. I think I'm going to turn random NPCs off for a while; they seem to spawn way too densely, their behaviour as allies is really bizarre sometimes, and they have an annoying tendency to spawn with guns, shitloads of ammo, good armour, mountains of health, and a hellbent obsession with stealing your poo poo.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

I had a pretty good club-wielding brutish mighty Lab ogre die because he suddenly sprouted vines from his shoulders, gained a crapload of torso encumbrance, and then died trying to fight a bunch of zombie soldiers that boxed him into a corner because he couldn't fight for poo poo anymore. Thick Skin + Phelloderm is great for making you into a tank, but it can have weird consequences if you're genetically unstable!

e: There was also the time I used mutagen and it replaced my Night Vision with Fey Eyes and I died because stumbling around blind in a lab is hilariously suicidal.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

I think the next goofy mutant build I try is going to be a fully tentacle limbed Octodad character with Gills and a sneaky unarmed combat focus. I might take Ninjutsu so my millions of tentacle attacks are as silent as my movement, or Centipede Style so I can build momentum and hit 98,000,000 times per turn :v:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

A few notes that might help newer players, based on the stuff I've figured out:

1. Cooking and Survival are atrociously good skills early on. And also forever, but especially early on. You can use Survival to root through the underbrush in the woods by interacting ("e") with them, which can net you various herbs, veggies, mushrooms, eggs, containers, and crafting ingredients (maybe don't eat the mushrooms though). A decently high Cooking skill then lets you transform those ingredients into everything from bland but nutritious acorn meal to loving delicious as poo poo scrambled eggs and pesto spaghetti and whatnot. It only gets better when the season warms up a bit and you can start harvesting all those spring fruits - blueberries, peaches, plums, cherries, and so on. You can make fruit juice out of them, then use pulp to make other stuff if you have the recipes. Or, if you have some spare sugar, you can cook up some fruit leather that won't spoil. Survival + Cooking is a powerhouse combination that will Keep You Alive even if you're living out of a lovely remote emergency shelter surrounded by goddamn nothing. This is especially true if you include the mod that adds more survival tools to the world, which is honestly really neat and lets you thrive like some kind of paleolithic hobo king with your stone tools, hobo stove, and fire drill. Eventually you can start tilling the soil and planting seeds and just have a cool little berry and vegetable farm.

2. You should do your best to never melee anything early in the game. This especially applies to zombies since an early infection will most likely kill you, but is important in any case - you'll probably want to be wearing a bunch of storage equipment, which will encumber the gently caress out of you and make you garbage at mixing it up in close quarters due to brutally penalizing your Melee and Dodging skills and adding a heavy additional time cost to your melee attacks. If you MUST fight a thing in melee, try to trick it into going through a broken window to attack you. If it's still in the window when you're fighting it, all of its actions will take way longer and you'll be able to whale on it like a maniac before it gets a chance to hit you back. Throwing stuff is reasonably effective at killing weaker enemies, and if you get your hands on a lighter or matchbook, you can kill zombies with a little patience and forethought by luring them through burning bushes.

3. Don't get close to coyotes, wolves, bears, and moose. Especially moose. Moose are the loving devil. If you see one, literally make it your mission to never see it again. Get out of its visual range and do NOT enter its territory any more unless you're fully prepared to fight it. Much like in real life, moose are extremely dangerous creatures who can and will trample you into a paste if they decide they don't like you wandering around nearby, which they probably will. Wolves and coyotes will run away if seriously hurt, so you may be able to bullshit your way out of getting mauled if you throw stuff at them until they flee. Bears and moose will just brutally kill your babby character though.

*3b. See also: giant wasps and, to a slightly lesser extent, giant bees. Giant bees are reasonably chill and will basically always leave you alone if you stay far away from them, but each and every giant wasp is goddamn Satan and will make it a personal mission to ruin your poo poo. They hit fast, and their stings will poison you and cause a ton of pain, letting them hit you a million more times. You will die of poison. You must look upon moose and wasps with the utmost superstitious fear. They are Death's emissaries.

4. Zombies are easily distracted and really hate all living creatures. If you're being chased by a zombie and you don't like your odds of escaping it or beating it cleanly, look for an opportunity to lure it past an animal. They'll often break off pursuit to chase squirrels and dogs and stuff around. If you're feeling extremely gutsy, you can even try luring a zombie closer to a hostile animal that's also chasing you; if the zombie attacks the creature, it might get pissed off and turn around to fight it, letting you trudge hurriedly away with your fifteen backpacks full of potato chips and cream soda. This is pretty risky, but if you pull it off it's an amazing counter to giant wasps - zombies don't feel pain and are immune to poison, so they'll completely steamroll those venomous assholes.

5. You should try to get your hands on a pipe and a hammer of some sort (a rock works fine) and craft a makeshift crowbar for more efficient burgling. It's a pretty decent melee weapon starting out, and it lets you raid locked houses by forcing open their doors instead of breaking their windows. This makes less noise than smashing windows open, and doesn't leave broken windows behind that cannot be covered with curtains. If you're lucky and sneaky, you can sometimes break into a house via the back door, close the door behind you, close all the curtains, burgle the poo poo out of everything, and slip out before the zombies get suspicious enough to start smashing their way in. Stand to the side of open doors so you're not visible through them, and use shift-X to target them to lean over and peek through, letting you spot any zombies within visual range without them seeing you. You can also use "e" on closed curtains to peer through and find a zombie-free escape route through a window. Sneaky burgling is a really good strategy for a new character - although it's somewhat dependent on luck, it's quite a bit safer and more reliable than just sprinting through the city screaming and smashing through windows in the desperate hope you'll get away with all your sweet loot before a spitter melts your legs and a feral hunter eats your face.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 23, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

Slaapaav posted:

you know that you can use a knife and a lighter to cauterize wounds to avoid infections right?

Cauterization is a last-ditch gamble, though. There's a risk it'll advance the infection instead of curing it, and as mentioned, you get a good chunk of pain each time you attempt it. If you need to cauterize a wound, you're already in trouble! The best course of action, when possible, is to just not get an infected bite in the first place, and the best way to do that is to not get into melee with zombies.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

I believe that's already kinda possible, indirectly. Unhealthy food influences your invisible Health stat, and eating a fuckload of it can make you unhealthy and depress your immune system. This can lead to catching the flu or similar. It won't kill you outright, but coughing and puking your guts out and having badly penalized stats will get you pretty loving dead if you round a corner into a really gnarly monster.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

Construction is a gently caress of a lot easier (and more immediately rewarding) to raise early on if you get your hands on a tree-felling tool (starting as a Lumberjack is fantastic for this). Cutting down trees can raise you to 1, chopping trunks into logs raises you to 2, and chopping trunks into planks raises you to 3. Then you have a shitpile of logs, 2x4s, and splintered wood lying around, which can be used in further projects or burned for warmth, light, and cooking!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

Will crops I plant in spring usually be ready for harvest around autumn? It's summer now and only my wild herbs have reached the "mature plant" stage. I really wanna pick all these blueberries and wheat and stuff and make glorious homemade waffles with the plants I grew with my own two hands :unsmith:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

this right here is some godsend info.

The majority of my deaths are caused by running out of time carrying like one burger and a soda back from town while I'm hunting for backpacks and other loot and dodging insane zombie bastards.

Be aware that wearing makeshift slings will make you loving terrible at dodging and at hitting things in melee due to their extremely high torso encumbrance. You should really be trying to find somewhere safe and set up your basic needs (food, water, warmth, shelter) before you go skirmishing with zombies in hand-to-hand anyway, though, so it's definitely a worthwhile tradeoff right at the beginning.

e: It also does nothing to penalize ranged attacks! Use your newfound carrying capacity to grab some rocks (you'll want them for crafting tools anyway, and maybe building a fireplace eventually), and hurl those fuckers at anything that you don't think you can outrun. This is especially great against skeletons and dogs of all kinds!

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 27, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

If you want to play with static spawns so you can create a chill safezone and explore the game's content without having to constantly fight for your life, but also don't want to immediately die 90% of the time, try making a few worlds and starting a character in a cabin in each of them. Sometimes cabins just loving collapse on you within 10 turns for no immediately discernible reason, or start out in the middle of goddamn nowhere surrounded by a swamp full of giant worms and sinkholes, but once you make a world where the Cabin start puts you relatively close to civilization and doesn't kill you instantly, you're in a great position to set up a little survivor cottage, craft your starting necessities, and get a feel for the game. The handful of starting zombies are fairly easy to clear out, and you can just die/suicide and start another character once they're gone.

The static starting NPCs option makes this process even smoother by ensuring that there's a reasonably tough, self-sufficient NPC hanging out in your starting cabin. They'll usually wipe the floor with the starting zombies, and talking to them, offering to do a quest for them, and then asking if they can give you some gear is almost guaranteed to get you a lighter. Don't accept the "kill the huge scary thing ripping corpses apart" quest unless you want to get horrifically annihilated, though. You can even recruit them sometimes, but you'll want to micromanage their combat options as they are horribly stupid and will attract a huge horde by firing full-auto at a raccoon until they run out of ammo, and then die trying to beat a Brute to death with their empty gun.

grate deceiver posted:

Take Night Vision at chargen and only loot at night at the edge of town. Enjoy your tons of free stuff.

This too. Night Vision is honestly the single best trait in terms of cost versus usefulness (and quality-of-life improvement). I cannot play without it anymore. Bring a crowbar (or makeshift crowbar - get a rock and smash a locker or display rack for a pipe to make one) and lever open doors instead of smashing windows, and you'll very rarely be heard, let alone spotted and attacked.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 27, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

Shocker Brutes are loving assholes but I'd rather encounter them than Hulks. Brutes are relatively quick, but if you see them coming you can outrun them or kite them through fire until they die. Hulks are just unstoppable turbo dickheads that will zoom after you until you run out of stamina, then scamper up to you making a comical "brbrbrbrrrrr" go-kart noise before punching you in half. gently caress Hulks.

Shocker Brutes are in a pretty good design space as random minibosses, I think. They're extremely scary and dangerous, but can usually be escaped or outwitted if you can retain control of the situation. They can be butchered for CBMs, so they're high-threat opponents that offer great rewards if you're smart or deadly enough to bring them down. I frequently catch sight of Brutes and Shocker Brutes with early characters and get away alive, but seeing a Hulk at all basically means that an early character is dead within the next few hundred turns, in my limited experience.

Personally I think it would be badass if Hulks retained their high movement speed, but only situationally - they'd normally have Brute speed, but moving in a direct line for a few turns could cause them to break into a run and start building speed as they continued. Trying to change course would take them a short time based on their charging speed, kind of like a vehicle being hard to push into a tight turn while going way too fast. So you could lure a Hulk into charging you, then deke it into smashing through a storefront until the loving roof collapses on it and buys you time to run like hell. That kind of high-tension OH GOD DON'T gently caress UP indirect boss battle stuff is absolutely my poo poo and I'd love to see more of it in roguelikes.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Apr 28, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

How the heck do I shoot one of my flaming arrows if I have a quiver with other arrows in it?

I think you have to unload the quiver first. Quivers seem useful and convenient at first glance, but I found they mainly add a lot of bookkeeping and situational screwing around. They'd probably be better if they had a higher capacity or something.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

Cutting down trees and chopping them up is amazing for Construction. Foraging in foliage is amazing for Survival. Do both of those, a lot.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

I have seen that happen too. In my case they were spawning around a crater where the artifact was located. Taking the artifact lowered my speed but made the snakes go away, and if I used it, it spawned friendlyish shadow snakes that just sort of indiscriminately attacked whatever was nearby.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

That's loving badass. What do they do to nearby zombies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

Generally? Cause them all to descend on me from miles around since the scream is loving loud

Dude that's good as hell. Set up a ton of deep/spiked pits a little ways away from a mall or superstore or something (beyond visual range at the very least), use your scream generator to lure a gigantic horde of zombies to it, and gently caress off before the horde catches sight of you. Repeat as needed (resting up between uses) to thin them out and clear the megabuilding enough that you can walk in, brain the stragglers, grab your trusty shopping cart and steal absolutely loving everything.

If you know of somewhere with a magma vent, that poo poo is hilariously good at owning zombies since they'll cheerfully stroll right over it and melt. You don't get to loot any of their stuff that way, though.

Maybe keep an eye on it for other weird effects though, those items can do all sorts of zany poo poo and some of it isn't immediately apparent. However, if that thing really is louder than a beeping car horn or gunshot or whatever, it could possibly be a really handy tool for moving large numbers of zombies around where you want them. Just plan ahead carefully, is all.