Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

wrt books, it used to be the case that reading at low levels was the way to go (pretty much mandatory for mechanics until people discovered the pipe repair trick), but now it's much faster to craft. this is out of date but still mostly applicable: https://old.reddit.com/r/cataclysmdda/comments/a6j97o/skill_training_guide_a_minimalists_skill_training/

for mechanics you can now remove and reinstall wheels a few times to get the first level. computers is the only skill you pretty much need to read to level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

it will take a while to recover from 30 regardless, but in general you want to stack as many morale bonuses as possible to keep the target up. mp3 player/smartphone is always good, as well as drugs, coffee, and pleasant foods. some high level books will drag it down no matter what, but you should be able to maintain ~70 focus or so crafting or reading low level books.

if it always seems to be low, its probably because you haven't disabled the driving skill. that will tank it like nothing else.

(in case you weren't aware, you can check the current focus trend target by pressing 'v')

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

As it stands vitamin deficiency, overweight, and underweight have no effects whatsoever. (And if you're playing 0.E stable, melee weapon +chance to hit has no effect whatsoever :henget:)

Palcontent fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 26, 2020

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

The levels are skeletal - emaciated - underweight - normal - overweight - obese -very obese - morbidly obese

I'm not sure when you start to get negative effects, but I'm fairly certain that underweight/normal/overweight have no effects.

e: to be clear, the extremes do damage your health stat and stamina.

Palcontent fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 26, 2020

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

I completed the Old Guard "kill the bandits" quest, which was alot easier than expected since they were blind as hell in the dark.

I then got told the next mission was to support an attack on a research center somewhere. I assume this quest isn't implemented yet?

I haven't done the quest, but research facilities are in the game. Very large overmap structures with several levels and okay loot, comparable to those 1-floor labs.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Doomsayer posted:

The above-ground part has a lot of comparatively hard to find (but not necessarily super useful) science equipment, but they also have an extra-large Lab underneath the basement behind a card reader and security floor, usually with bonus loot and/or tunnels to other Labs.

Oh nice, I just left one without exploring the basement. Time to turn around.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Be sure to change 'Aim window display style' from bars to number in the interface options. Makes the shooting menu much less arcane.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

projectile penetration is wonky on experimental (probably stable too). bullets will go right through reinforced glass, so I wouldn't trust reinforced windshields to protect you. regardless, if you find an outdoor turret and want its ammo, lining up your vehicle, crouching, and ramming it at 40 mph is still probably the safest way to get ahold of it.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

I am pleased to report that the good start I just had has ended because I got absolutely loving merked by a moose :v:

You can use 'C' -> yell a few times to get moose to flee. They are still comically dangerous though lol

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Even with addictive personality it's safe to take drugs every now and then. Ambien is a sure-fire way to sleep whenever you want to, but otherwise just wait until you do get tired and set an alarm. Sleeping for four hours will cause you to get tired roughly eight hours earlier the next day.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Gun mods are absolutely worth using. Volume does affect aim speed but almost every mod is valuable in the right situation. The only mods that are supposed to improve aim speed are the laser sights, and they do (generally, depends on the gun and the wonky aim cap from volume). The other sights improve accuracy at a certain range, usually at the cost of aim speed. If you want to hit anything at 30+ range, you need a rifle scope. Folding stocks are overpowered, but the recoil stock can be good too. Suppressors won't prevent you from drawing attention to yourself, but they will prevent you from deafening yourself after one shot. The only mod I'd never install for any reason is the rifle strap, and maybe the ACOG which seems to be generally lovely. The others are all useful in the right situation, but some of them come with a significant trade off.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

What messages are you getting when you miss?

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Careful if you're playing experimental. There's a minimum 12.5% chance of falling and loving yourself up when climbing down a drainpipe.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Does this apply to Parkour experts?

Yes, and also carrying 0 lbs. It basically means that you should never climb onto a roof unless you're going to die otherwise.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

I mean, few people can reliably climb or descend drainpipes, and on many building it would be impossible. The problem was that the stamina system was never adjusted for 1-second turns, and climbing onto roofs to catch your breath became the solution to getting winded after running a hundred yards. I would be fine with the change if falling down a downspout didn't shred your clothes, deal two bars of damage to every limb, and put you in excruciating pain. Also it applies to ladders the same way. IDK if tiles differentiates between ladders and stairs, but I've learned to examine every '<' inside a building to make sure it isn't a ladder.

On the other hand, not being able to escape to the roof hasn't actually gotten me killed once while city raiding. But it does feel like a deprivation. I'd like to be able to climb onto a roof to scout without risking grievous injury.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

Hahaha incredible. So you just literally, outright can't safely navigate sewer entrances, silos, or mine works anymore? :lol:

Hmm maybe they're different kinds of ladder. I've also climbed dozens of silos without incident, but failed twice in a row to climb the ladder in the back of the bike shop and nearly died. I'll have to test some of the others.

There's a failure chance when climbing fences now, but afaik it can't hurt you and it's perfectly reasonable. Chain link fences are still incredibly powerful.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Yeah I'm sticking with the last build prior to nested inventory for a month or so. It's insanely buggy right now.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

10614 is the last build before nested containers in case anyone is wondering. The change doesn't appear in the update description in the launcher lol

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Go to your mods folder, create a new folder there called slow_zombies, then create a file called modinfo.json and paste this into it:

code:
[
  {
    "type": "MOD_INFO",
    "ident": "Slow_Zombies",
    "name": "Slow Zombies",
    "description": "Halves zombie speed.",
    "category": "rebalance",
    "dependencies": [ "dda" ],
    "obsolete": false
  },
  {
    "type": "monster_adjustment",
    "species": "ZOMBIE",
    "stat": { "name": "speed", "modifier": 0.5 }
  }
]
Then enable the mod in world creation.

Palcontent fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 9, 2020

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

They claim they want the new system to be largely ignorable if you don't want to use it. Who knows if that will pan out, but the main thing it seems to offer for now is the ability to choose which items you drop when ditching a bag. In the future it should make it possible for different containers to be more or less accessible, so you could have, say, grenades, magazines, bandages and morphine in a chest rig and webbing belt for easy access. That kind of thing is fun in other games, but they typically have proper GUIs and mouse input. We'll see how it works out.

As for the encumbrance system, I think it's fine. The problem is armor. If they're actually going to remove the rest of the survivor gear it will have to be rebalanced. As it is, you either haven't got survivor gear and sustained combat is a gamble, or you do have it and you're immune to regular zombies. That's mostly to do with coverage since there's a lot of stuff you can reinforce to have ample protection.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Starting out, should I use any of the pre-included mods? Iím willing to use even the sillier ones if they make for better gameplay.

Not really necessary, but here are the ones I use:

No Rail Stations - Does what it says. Eventually rail stations will be connected to each other, but for now they don't offer anything but vending machines. They spawn everywhere and take up valuable real estate.
No Fungal Monsters - The fungus is a cool concept, but in practice it just kills performance and ruins half the map. Keep it on if you have any interest in becoming the fungus.
Disable NPC Needs - Use this if you have any intention of recruiting NPCs to tend to your base.
Aftershock - Adds a bunch of sci-fi content, much of it culled from the base game. Not too intrusive, but it does have some problems.

Classes and Scenarios Mod - Adds a bunch of new professions, and rebalances some of the old ones. This is included with the game but flagged as obsolete. To use it, find it in your mod folder and change the flag 'obsolete' to false in the modinfo.json

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Yeah, and don't ignore anti-fungal drugs even with the fungus disabled. Flaming eyes can and will give you a fungal infection just by looking at you.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

The M249 is about 50% slower to aim? And weighs more than 2x as much.

e: meant to say, the m4a1 is nearly 50% faster to aim.

m249 on the right, same magazine

Palcontent fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 10, 2020

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Gun stats are mystifying for quite a while.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

The world mod for classic zombies in the stable release says that it removes certain buildings and map features but I can't really find a solid documentation about what it actually removes from the game. Can anyone educate me about that?

Glancing at it, it just appears to prevent portals from spawning. And prevents robots from responding to alarms. And no spiders or wasps.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

Sorry in advance if my digging into the specifics of the classic zombie mod is tedious but I'm still looking for better understanding of what it does to the game

The file starts with this line

"type": "region_overlay",
"regions": [ "all" ],
"overmap_feature_flag_settings": { "whitelist": [ "CLASSIC" ] }

Does this mean that the map is only able to generate features that have the "classic" tag attached to them?

E: Did a quick test. Tried to make a labstart with a world that has classic zombies enabled and the game failed to create the starting location. So to me this means that the mod indeed disables labs and probably a lot more of the interesting locations

The file containing the flags is /data/json/overmap/overmap_special/specials.json

There's quite a lot of locations, but you should be able to search for anything in particular to see if it has a 'Classic' flag. Looks like lab and military locations are out, as well as quite a few wilderness/blob specials.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

If you find the geiger counter don't expect the monitoring setting to warn you about radiation or anything. Found that out the hard way.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

After looking through mod files for this game I have come to an idea. Can I just make a single exclusion mod for all the mobs I want to remove? Like can I just copy the json file from one of the existing mods and add all the monster ids I want gone to it?

Yeah!

PiCroft posted:

Watch yourself around vehicles too - Atomic SUVs and other nuclear powered vehicles are frequently sources of radiation as their damaged reactors leak plutonium. if you find an atomic vehicle, hit "V" and see if "plutonium slurry" appears and if so, steer waaaaay the gently caress away from it.

IIRC radiation from slurry doesn't extend super far so it's not a huge deal as long as you don't spend hours near the source such as trying to dismantle the vehicle.

This might be a change in the experimentals, but I got a (lethal) dose of 1300msv by stepping through the tile with plutonium slurry on it. Didn't notice until the next day IRL, by which point I had forgotten about the slurry and spent a long time trying to figure out why I was dying in my sleep before thinking to debug spawn in a radiation detector.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Stathol posted:

I'm trying to get back into this game after several years, and I never really got that far with it before. I keep hitting this point fairly early on where I just feel really unsure of wtf I'm doing and what my priorities should be.

It's pretty easy for me to just take over some house at the edge of town with a basement that has a furnace and use that for my initial base of operations. That solves water, and I can night raid to keep myself rolling in food. I understand the recipe system well enough that I can easily identify what things I can I quickly make to level up skills, but this is kind of where I hit the awkward valley.

At this point, I could just dig in and not leave my base for days while I work on skilling up, setting up a butchery station, charcoal kiln, smoking racks, etc. but I'm concerned that the zombie evolution is going to severely outpace me if I do that. I'm frequently seeing evolved zombies -- mostly slavering biters and feral runners -- as early as day 3 on default settings. I've even encountered a day 4-5 dissoluted devourer (what is this an upgrade to, anyway?).

I feel like I lack a good schedule of objectives. I.e. what kind of items/equipment/skills to aim for by the end of week 1, week 2, etc. Youtube isn't much help. The existing tutorial series are way out of date and a little too nuts-and-bolts, babby's first CDDA, besides. Meanwhile the contemporaries who really know their stuff only produce series that are either heavily modded or some kind of crazy challenge play with wacky restrictions and starting conditions. I totally understand that and I'm not knocking it; it just happens to be less than helpful for my purposes. I'd really kill for a basic LP by an experienced player on 0.E or experimental with nothing more exotic than just aftershock in play.

I typically try for full light survivor gear + survivor harness by day three or four. Typically just need one military body site or surplus store for the kevlar, and once you find a tailor's kit to reinforce the suit you're pretty much invincible against normal zombies. At that point you can get away with just a quarterstaff, but forging serious weapons is much less work than you'd expect. Do have to find books for that though.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

No need for books anymore. You can get tailoring 5 and fab 6 in the first 24 hours no problem. There's even a recently updated guide, though it really isn't necessary. Just craft whatever.

https://old.reddit.com/r/cataclysmdda/comments/gdr06j/skill_training_guide_a_minimalists_skill_training/

efb

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Even then the focus drain seems like it'd make things tough, wouldn't it?

You can just power through it, though junk food and music help. Smartphones drop constantly, double as an mp3 player, and the battery lasts a long time.

Skill gain from crafting is really fast even with bad focus. It also increases material costs, but for the 5 tailoring/6 fab (which is what you need for all the light survivor gear) just two shelters/cabins/rural houses should have everything you need.

Palcontent fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 12, 2020

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

I'm trying a character with fast learner and 11 int, both of which I've avoided in the past. Every point of int beyond 8 gives an additional five focus for the purpose of skill gain, and every point below subtracts five. Together with fast learner the 11 int provides +30 hidden focus at all times. Funnily enough it's almost irrelevant for crafting skills, but makes a huge difference for combat skills. When fighting a lot your focus immediately plummets to ~10-15 and stays there. Combat skill gain is effectively quadrupled.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Airpods I think

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

You can easily identify leather (or anything else) from the 'V' look around menu by pressing '+' and entering 'm:leather'. Everything made of leather will be highlighted at the top of the list. Good for making sure you don't miss anything you're looking for, like hackpro.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

There's an autotravel feature that doesn't work perfectly but can save you some time. Move the cursor in the overmap to the destination, press 'W' to generate a path, and if the path it picks isn't crazy press 'W' again to travel. Safe mode remains active so you'll be stopped if anything dangerous comes into view.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Think it's still pretty messed up, I'm giving it a solid month.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

You're playing with city distance at the max right? I'm guessing the restaurant guide tried to reveal valid buildings within its overmap 'zone' (roughly 200x200 chunk? IDR), but there weren't any because no cities. It's possible that no cities spawn at all at max distance, but most likely they're just extremely rare.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Yeah the debug command reveals one overmap zone. On higher city distance settings there's clearly no guarantee of at least one city per zone. I usually play with 5 city distance and 10 size.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Megacity runs are really fun but much harder, especially with wander spawns on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

e; How can I get my fat rear end to lose some weight. (And in game)

If you're just 'overweight' it means nothing. It's difficult to go farther unless you started that way, in which case its a challenge I've never attempted.