Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm hearing mixed things on exactly how static static spawns are - is everything static, only the zombies, or something in between?

For example, am I going to run out of wildlife?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

nftyw posted:

Also I use 'b' in the crafting menu to craft in batches -- less useful for grinding skill but nice when I want to boil a shitload of water without needing to relight fires three times.

:psyduck:

The local tree ecology thanks you.

Also, I personally quite like spawn points having a long wander distance - it means there are periodic, if minor, threats to your base.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

My latest character spawned next to a mansion...

...with a pool. :getin:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Protip: if you bring a shopping cart or other storage vehicle along on a lumberjack operation, leave it a little bit away from the trees you're felling.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

While clearing a mall near my base, some of my new zombie friends attracted the attention of a tank drone.

I grabbed my cart and bugged out.

Came back a couple days later and the tank drone has somehow started a fire that is consuming the entire mall. :argh:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

So will zombies infinitely revive until you butcher their corpse, or is it a probability and/or number of iterations thing?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ducttape posted:

I believe that zombies will keep reviving, but their condition doesn't improve, so if you kill one enough, you should eventually damage it too badly for it to revive.

They're definitely pretty darn weak when they stand back up even once, so maybe in running battle situations I'll only butcher shockers/spitters/brutes.

Edit: oh hey, evolving mandibles while wearing mouth items destroys them. Goodbye, chitin helmet.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can also 'B'utcher them instead of smashing, but it takes more time and their tainted meat is pretty useless unless you're starving to death.

Always, always, always butcher shockers. Consider butchering fatties and doggies - tallow is not unhandy, and at higher survival doggies give hides sometimes.

Shockers, of course, give CBMs. :getin:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've stapled a welder to my electric car and it's not charging up. I do not understand.

On the other hand, I don't really need my car right now, because my current main objective is to find the recipe for purifier so I can get rid of my carnivore mutation. (And ideally enough mutagen to cross the lizard threshold.)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Now all you need is a giant baby to round things out.

I really want to make a ZAMN mod now.

The greatest of feasts.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Red_October_7000 posted:

I don't find myself troubled by the lack of an "end game". What would you do, kill an end boss and... what? Revive the undead into the living again? To win is to survive; if you're rear end in a top hat's not puckered you're winning; the only question is in how grand a style.

I'm onboard with the theoretical endgame of stomping into the Bad Dimension to slam the rifts shut and keep things from getting more hosed back on Earth.

Or, you know, stomping in just for shits and giggles.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Remind me how to alter the zombie evolution factor and things like that? I seem to be a moron. :saddowns:

Edit: and skill rust, while we're on the topic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Coolguye posted:

the sheer number of spawns in a mall tends to mean that unless you are completely done with urban environments you're going to find something you like in there. even just from the zombies around, you can kill so many of them that they're statistically probable to drop a tool or something that you like (a hacksaw immediately comes to mind as something that tends to block people).

it's also a good choice for training your chosen combat skill to sky high levels as most of the enemies in there will be low-class zombies.

also, the best way to clear them out en-masse if you're looking for just a way to clean the place out is to cause a lot of noise and then pull zombies out to a kill zone that you can safely set on fire. this deprives you of the XP obviously but the context here is that you don't care about that.

The last time I visited a mall there was a robo-tank outside it that brought the house down and set it on fire while trying to kill me and/or the zombies. :v: