Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Holy cow. So I just created my first character (24 points), picked the Android trait.. my upgrades? Solar Panels and a Fusion Blaster Arm.

This is going to be FUN. :getin:

Edit: And I spawned right next to a crater of some sort that spammed flaming eyes and Mi-go. So much for being a postapocalyptic Mega Man.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

tuyop posted:

This is going to sound like I don't get it, but how do you DO anything in DDA? As soon as I go to a town to scavenge poo poo, I get swarmed by fourteen types of zombies. It doesn't seem like there's a sneak option or anything, either. Where do I get stuff?

Well, you can't just go raring into twon and busting heads or you WILL get swarmed. Starting out by making yourself a longbow and some arrows vie the crafting menu (&) - I like the field point arrows in the GDA build (I'm fairly sure that's a typo and should be 'filed' but whatever) gets you a nice long-range option for little effort. Smash the benches and counters in the shelter (and make sure to explore downstairs for other random stuff, if you get really lucky there'll be a backpack there), make a bunch of wood arrow shafts, upgrade those to field points with the nails from the furniture. You should get your Archery up to about lv3 or 4 by this - enough to smash a couple of windows in and make a longbow out of the heavy sticks and strings. Smash in one of the lockers, grab the pipe, and find a rock outside - then use the 'Other' crafting tab to bend the pipe into a crowbar. It's a solid starter melee weapon and can be used to quickly and (relatively) quietly to open doors.

Next up, use M to figure out a good approach into town. If you run down the street you WILL get swarmed. Lucky for you, zombies are dumb. Pick an isolated house or two on the edge of town and go in. You'll want to aggro only a couple of zombies, then back away. Pepper them with arrows, leading them away from the settlement, then smash or butcher the corpses. This'll keep them from getting back up later. Rinse and repeat until you've cleaned yourself a house, then go in. Loot the useful stuff, fortify the hell out of the place - you can board the windows over with two-by-fours and nails if you make or find yourself a hammer - and then start expanding out. Remember, every zombie you kill is one less in the city - there won't be more if you're playing as static spawn. You're faster than regular (and most special) zombies, so don't be afraid to retreat to a better position if you need to.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Bear traps, I've found, are hilariously effective. All you need is a spring (gut a car seat) and 3 pieces of scrap metal. The skill required are hilariously low, 1 point in traps and 2 in Mechanics. Luring a zombie on one will pop them for 35 damage - stock zombies having 50 max - and snare them for a bit. They're also reusable without needing reloads like shotgun traps and crossbow traps. I lucked out and found an idiot trap with a bunch of different traps scattered around a bottle of clean water lying on the road - it's a relatively risk-free way of thinning the horde if you can lure zombies to move over them. No need to worry about disarming bear traps either, just troll a zombie into one, finish it off, then move the now-disarmed trap! They're so quick to set up that I've taken to carrying a few along and slapping them down when I get attacked.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Is Battery System or Internal Furnace working right for the rest of you? For me the game crashes if I try and eat non-food items like batteries or burnables, respectively.

Edit: Found this with a google:

quote:

Guessing it's another case of missing or incorrectly specified material. If you're carrying anything that has a material other than what is specified in materials.json and try to eat with internal furnace installed, the game will crash. Were you carrying any rare items or quest items, or items that have been added recently? Those are more likely to have slipped by unnoticed.

Why in the hell the game would care when you're not trying to eat the culprit item itself, I have no idea :psyduck:

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 8, 2013

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Stepping into spider-web seems to crash the game, too.

Fair warning to everyone new to the game, too, the local black widows seem to be about the size of corgis and like to take over whole houses where they nest in packs of one to three DOZEN. If you see one? It WILL have friends nearby.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Wild T posted:

As with everything in Cataclysm, the solution to black widow infestations is fire. Smash a window, peek in and throw a stick down in the web (careful not to touch or they'll swarm you while you're slowed down). Light it and run back out. Webs burn very, very well. So do the spiders living in them :black101:

I've started prioritizing looting any nearby liquor stores and bars when I set up my base camp - a two-thirds-full glass bottle of whiskey or any other strong alcohol is just a rag and a lighter away from being a Molotov cocktail, afterall! :supaburn:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Jonny Retro posted:

There's a wristwatch that you can find, and it'll replace the little sun/moon thing with the time. They seem fairly rare, but zombies can drop them.

Cell phones work, too, besides being able to rip them apart for parts. You can find both wrist watches and cellphones on zombies and in houses, watches particularly in bedroom closets.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Nastyman posted:

That's good to know about the masks. I always keep one handy in case of stuff.

By the way, can I import maps between DDA/GDA? I played DDA for a while and then tried out GDA which turned out to be vastly superior, but the DDA map I had was awesome while the one I got on GDA didn't really start with much of anything fun on it. Figured it out!

It always pays to make yourself a filter mask - it needs almost no skills to build one and you only need a couple of rags and plastic bags or a plastic bottle to make one. A filter mask will make you all but immune to smoke inhalation - say, like, from the smoke cloud surrounding a smoker zombie. Those fuckers have the skeleton's 'a shot might whizz through without hitting anything important' thing (besides the concealment from the smoke) so your only options, at least in early game, tend to be melee - and while the smoker's unlikely to kill you, the persistent damage-cough from the smoke can and will if you're left with low torso hp.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

TangentEnigma posted:

On smokers: if you're fast enough to kite a smoker for very long distances, they will occasionally show up in one of the random clear spots within their smoke cloud and you can lob a rock at them. Rinse and repeat and it'll die...eventually. Then again, in about a tenth of the time you could probably just kite it into the woods and leave it.

Smokers only really have the whole smoke cloud and ranged evasion going for them - they're marginally tougher (65 over 50) and somewhat faster (110 over 80) than regular zobies, but they don't hit appreciably (1d6 over 1d5) harder. As long as you're prepared, ie, have a filter mask or a gas mask, you can just get in close and clobber 'em to death.

That said, they don't drop anything (and explode into smoke on death) so if you CAN avoid a fight, go for it. I pick them off when I have the chance just to avoid unpleasant surprises later - alone a smoker isn't particularly dangerous but that cloud is perfectly capable of concealing other beasties, too.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Can somebody do a datamine and see what the stats for smoke inhalation are? I got killed by a goddamned smoker's cloud - I killed the smoker but not before it managed to tear apart my filter mask. I went from full torso health to dead over the next three hours from coughing my lungs out - the wiki says it -should- last for only 15 turns from smoke inhalation, there might be something funky going on with the code for the drat thing.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
You can, in fact, butcher the corpse of your previous character for those sweet sweet bionics.

also, this time my evac shelter sat right next to a Public Works. Exploring the place found me a neat, fairly defensive compound, complete with a fuckton of construction tools, including welding equipment.. and a fully functional flatbed truck, as soon as I find some fuel. I like this place already :getin:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Nastyman posted:

Would you mind taking a look at spiderwebs? I crashed the first and only time I stepped on one, and since then I've tried to at least keep my distance, but it does kind of seem like the game crashes more often when I'm within FOV of one. Might be coincidence but I have a theory that something about creatures, NPCs and/or PCs stepping in them can crash the game.

Also, if it's possible, my wrists would very much appreciate an option to continuously craft an item until you have X amount of it, and maybe also one to just craft as many as you have materials for. Making a decent supply of metal arrows or large containers of liquids, for example, takes a lot of pointless button mashing. If I'm making bone broth, I'd prefer to just fill up the entire gallon jug with a single trip to the crafting menu.

Pressing - makes you craft the last item you built, assuming you have the materials. Still need to designate a container for fluids, but oughta save you some button presses when making ammo and stuff.

Also ditto on the spiderwebs, I accidentally stepped into one and crashed. Also have had the game crash a couple of times with just webs nearby - might have had another creature wander into them, I'm not sure.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

T-man posted:

They don't work like you think they do. It has to be raining to collect from a funnel, they don't store any water themselves. If and only if it's Raining or Drizzling (or acid raining) can you collect by examining.

Ahh, that explains why I had trouble with them. Any chance someone could code in a recipe where you can plug the funnel on top of a bottle or jug? Just have it catch the first type of fluid that starts raining. Would make it a little but more convenient what with not having to lurk near the drat things to catch water when/if happens to start raining.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Jon93 posted:

I just merged GDA with the latest DDA changes.

Expect a build Monday.

Anyway working on features as until then to put in a pull request to get it in 5.0

Finally! I love the game but forced myself to wait until the new version was done and fixed the bugs with the battery(wood-eating cybernetics and stuffs. Can't wait! :dance:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
One of my pet peeves in this crafting system is how you can't just make a Molotv coctail out of a two-thirds full glass bottle of vodka or whatever and a rag. No, you have to have an EMPTY glass bottle, and booze or gasoline on a -different- container, and a rag, and then you presumable pour the fluid into the bottle anyhow and stuff a rag in after it.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Considering the gigantic coding clusterfuck the source is, I can't exactly say that I'm surprised.

Edit - holyshitnewpagecontent! Started a new character, picked up the Android trait again for a change.. ended up with Ethanol Burner and Fusion Blaster Arm. My dude is now basically like a Russian Mega Man, swearing incoherently at zombies and lobbing molotov cocktails between swigging from a vodka bottle and blowing zombies apart with a goddamned meltagun :getin:

Edit edit - and I laster two days. Drunkard McFuckingGunArm cleaned out a few city blocks worth of zombies, housing himself in an abandoned home on the edge of twon. On his second evening, night had fallen, but he couldn't sleep, so he ended up wandering into the kitchen for a late-night snack. Standing next to the window, he saw a blur of movement-

-and a goddamned moose smashed through the window, dead-set on goring him. A fierce fight followed where he had a bottle of vodka in his good hand while he pumped fusion energy at the critter with the other - missing shot after shot at point-blank range, getting increasingly beated up. Finally his booze was out, as was the power cell for the fusion blaster, and the moose was still standing - until he yanked out a crowbar and sunk it into the beast's skull, close to death and bleeding badly.

The noise attracted zombies. Lots and lots of zombies.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 27, 2013

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Faithless posted:

I won't be happy with this game until it lets me spraypaint my car with my little pony decals that gives me a bonus in moral and the new important feature 'hornyness' when I drive around.

OK, this is getting annoying. Basically sometimes when I put water or whatever into an empty plastic bottle, the new stack of empty bottles gets assigned a letter that's already in use. When you then try and put something into a bottle, it'll try sticking it into whatever already had a letter and then complain about it not holding water. It's a apin in the rear end when you're trying to work with limited resources since apparently whatever you created gets dumped onto the ground.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I don't see why they have to have clothing in that particular menu screen anyways, I've NEVER found a clothing item that can hold water in the game and it's always a conflict between a clothing item and a liquid container as far as I can see. The two of them even have different letter keys in your main inventory, why the gently caress must it reassign them for the choose-a-container screen?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I prefer static myself, it means that if you play carefully you can actually clean out areas and make them (somewhat) safe. dynamic feels sometimes to me like there's absolutely nothing happening until you gently caress up somehow, and then BAM! Surprise hulk.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Also a hint to new players, manors and regional schools are loving treasure troves when it comes to starting out your characters - they'll have a ton of zombies but mostly they'll be regular ones (and child zombies for the regional schools, those poor students).. with plenty of chokepoints you can defend if you're careful. Both will, most of the time, feature libraries chock-full of all sorts of skillbooks, potentially some very advanced ones, too. Just be careful about fire, you don't want to burn the whole thing down by accident.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
So the contents of a fairly well-stocked garage and two hardware stores have fallen into my lap.. said garage being now my fortified base.. and I just, on a scouting trip, found a perfectly functional semitruck. This gunna be fun. :getin:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
How viable, exactly, is constructing a vehicle of your own in this game? I've been pulling apart car and truck hulks for spare parts left and right and am slowly beginning to appreciate the thought of building a giant death crawler on wheels to be a mobile base. Could plonk a couple of turrets down on the outer shell to add to the firepower.

Frog Assassin posted:

Do puddles and pools still spawn randomly? I haven't found one in half a dozen games or so and they were always important as a water source for me. With towns being hellish it's hard to just raid for bottles or toilet tanks, so I'm finding water in general to be a much bigger issue than it used to be. I want to set up shop in my evac shelter until I find something better but I'm really at a loss for what to do for easy (or easyish, I'm not picky) water.

A funnel is a relatively painless source of water - you'd need to find one in a town, though, unless there's a crafting recipe I'm unaware of. (Seriously, a big plastic funnel like that? You could fiddle one together out of plastic bags and duct tape, or a spare raincoat or something). All you need is to set it up outdoors outside your shelter, then activate it during rain (drizzle, rain or thundestorm, everything works) with a liquid container in your inventory and you'll just fill the whole thing up in one go. Of course that means you need to rely on it raining, but having a big enough storage capacity for water should help with that.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Oh, I have all that - welder, welding goggles, hacksaw, a fuckton of batteries and the capacity to make more. (Ammonia and basically all the scrap metal and empty cans in the world) I also lucked out by raiding a school library and finding the two first skill books for mechanics and ALL the skill books for electronics - I can build all sorts of crazy stuff.

Now I just need to get planning while I train up my Mechanics more - thankfully disassembling vehicles trains the skill, too, so I can just rip apart hulks for component AND boost the skill. A gallonful of gas also gave me just enough juice to power up the semi truck I found earlier and reach a nearby gas station, so it's currently sitting next to my home garage at full charge.

I suppose I'm going to make this thing basically somewhat wider to accommodate a set of expanded living quarters - an RV kitchen unit, sleeping quarters, and a crafting workshop with expanded storage capacity. I also managed to find and repair a suit of powered armor, so I'm going to build a docking bay of sorts for the suit. Probably going to add wheels, too, it'll basically be this massive fuckoff truck with armor plating and turret mounts all over.

Speaking of armor plating, how exactly does installing that work on a car? do I just add plating over a section and it's considered 'armored'? Can I plate over wheels? How about windshields, is there anything more durable than the stock glass paneling?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Funnels don't work like that any more. They fill a container placed on the tile they are set up in overtime when it is raining. Also you can make your own funnels.

Ahhh, I see. I'm actually still playing the previous version on this character, it was going so well I figured I'd switch up when he got killed.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

DeltaOmega posted:

What items do you need to repair plastic, kevlar, and metal clothing?

Plastic chunks, kevlar plates, or scrap metal, respectively, and a soldering iron or a welding kit. Soldering iron is sufficient for plastic and kevlar, but you MIGHT need an actual welder for metal, not quite sure. either way, they also require batteries to power them.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

The Droid posted:

Speaking of shopping carts, how do you pull them?

Wiki says you stand next to it, press G, then select the shopping cart, then start pushin'.

Also, holyshit, I now have TWO semitrucks. Plus oodles of materials from various car hulks and crash sites I've torn apart for supplies. Time to make my version of a freaking Land Raider, ohyes~

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Hmn. There's a fungal spire somewhere not too far away from town, went scouting on a repaired motorbike and ran into a giant pack of fungal zombies and fungaloids.

On the pro side, I found a group of dead scientists, then started wondering about a green asterisk lying in the road.. a mininuke. That might just solve the whole fungal spire problem :getin:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Zombie hulks (with a capital H) have the DESTROYS tag, so they're capable of smashing through solid walls. Other zombies have to come through doors, windows and other similar points of weakness.

Also, holycrap, raided a military bunker and one of the vaults was chock-full of inactive turrets and manhacks. Another had a bunch of LAWs, a grenade launcher, and a couple 40mm grenades of various types in there. Baddabig baddefrikkenboom!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Frog Assassin posted:

Could someone please explain the circular distances and skill rust options to me? The circular distances description is cut off in the options menu and the skill rust one is very vague, I don't understand what the capped and intcapped stuff means. Searching the official forums isn't giving me much info. Thanks in advance.

Circular distances alters the way the game handles diagonal distances - right now a diagonal 'step' is considered to be just as long a distance as a non-diagonal step, so for example weapon ranges are neat squares centered on your character. Circular distances makes the game use actual trigonometry to measure ranges, and therefore gives you a more 'natural' rounded range measure.

As for skill rust, it's mechanic that (theoretically) keeps a character from simply becoming a master of all trades. Basically, if skill rust is active, when you do NOt use a skill for an extended period, it begins to degrade. The first option (capped) means you'll lose training points but not actual skill ranks - so for example if your Archery is at level 4 (65%) and you swap over to shotguns entirely, your archery'll gradually degrade down to Level 4 (0%) but not any lower than that. The second (uncapped) option means that a skill can and will degrade all the way down to level 0 if given enough time with zero practice.

Personally I play with skill rust turned off, the game fucks you over enough with various bugs and unfinished features without it eating away your skill points while it's at it.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Filter masks and melee (smokers aren't appreciably tougher than regular zombies, they just have the smoke cloud and a chance for ranged attack to whiff through without saying hello in the middle), cars, molotov cocktails. Get just into throwing range, ignite (activate it in your inventory), aim for the center of the cloud, and be prepared to leg it if you miss - a direct hit'll one-shot the smoker. Hell, a direct hit will one-shot a zombie brute (mini-Hulk).

Molotov cocktails are seriously one of the best pieces of it you can make at low levels. Glass bottle, rag, anything flammable (hard alcohols or gasoline) - makes for an instant 'I win' button against zombies, especially as the fuckers are dumb enough to try running at you through the flames it leaves behind. Just remember to keep a lighte or a matchbook with you, you'll need one t ignite a molotov.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Also, snoop along major roads near your town of choice. I've found that cars that spawn IN towns tend to be small and nonfunctional, but cars that spawn -outside- of town are more commonly flatbed trucks (and sometimes semitrucks) and most often just out of fuel. A semi has sturdy metal doors and a small sleeping space in the cabin, making ti a very safe place to sleep in - not to mention extensive storage space with something like four boxes and two trunks - and once you find yourself some fuel, it'll be your personal little tank to conquer the post-zombie world from.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
OK, so I might have a problem with my Gant Mobile Death Crawler design.. it doesn't fit the garage I've taken over as my base. Or it does fir the GARAGE, but it doesn't fit OUT of there. My solution, I'm building it up rear end against the back wall of the garage, with the intent to chestburst my way out of there with sheer mass and power - we're talking about what's basically three semi hulks welded together, powered by four bigass V8 engines.

Edit: I can spel reed gud

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 21, 2013

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Well, I have some grenades, probably better to use those to bust the wall. Really, the problem is that it's going to be big as all gently caress so I don't WANT to build it outside - I can work without interruptions inside the garage.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
So I just downloaded the new version and made a new character - I find it so very highly apt that the first character I make is a cybernetic blacksmith.. with the Internal Furnace upgrade.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Making crowbars used to buff Mechanics, too - at least this was before they plugged Fabrication in, not sure how it works now. Raiding a library, school or manor should give you a good chance of looting a skill book, either way.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Which crafting changes?

A goon made a system where basically you could put crafting materials in containers like shelves and stuff, and actually use them for crafting - in fact the character could 'find' neatly shelved materials from further away. Just a little something to encourage people to actually build shelves and storage boxes and use them instead of heaping everything on the ground in a huge shitpile.

Kevin didn't like it and got all alpha nerd about it, saying it was 'unrealistic' and 'didn't add anything useful'. I might be wrong but I seem to recall him going as far as veto it when some other dev greenlighted the pull request.

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely, and petty power makes you a petty rear end in a top hat.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I got back into the game and actually had a character survive more than a fortnight - in fact she's survived for over a year, having spent most of the winter doing insane and unnatural things to an abandoned semitruck cab she stumbled upon. I'm thinking I should start exploring labs and the like, but gun-wielding enemies are a little bit too tough for me - turrets tend to punch straight through leather-reinforced trenchcoats and the like. I have, however, raised my fabrication, mechanics and so on ridiculously high - so are there recommendations for what sorts of armor I should try and craft? I could go full retard and build a set of full plate, but I'm worried that it'd pretty much neuter her close combat capacity with the 'wearing too much poo poo' penalties.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, if you don't want to craft anything, go find some military wreckage and dig around in it, I've pulled Kevlar vests (close to the skin) and MBR Vests (strapped layer) pretty commonly from them. Plus you might find other interesting toys.

Though that is only torso armor, of course.

Oh, I've got the skills to craft all sorts of interesting stuff.. but that's a good point, I've found some wreckages that might have cool stuff in them but haven't dug around. Time to make that entrenching tool!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I just found an atomic light the other night and putting it in my shopping kart with the rest of my loot was enough to quench it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Different types of alternators simply provide different 'amounts' of power - there's no voltage difference, but having a big truck alternator on your engine will charge a battery faster than a piddly motorcycle alternator. There's probably some math involving the power of the engine in relation to the alternator but I'm not sure.

For the wheel question, there's a whole bunch of increasingly arcane maths behind how the game calculates traction and such, but different sizes of wheels are alright. Smaller wheels have less surface area than larger ones and the game calculates if you have 'enough' wheels based on that and the mass of your car, but the last I checked it the calculations were pretty generous - you could theoretically build something like a 5-ton vehicle with a single truck tire at one end and a set of shopping cart coasters at the other and it would work as long as the vehicle's center of mass was between the wheels.

As for the ram, I think the ram physics in general are borked at the moment - a gentle little lovetap with a car might send a big wreckage skirling off over the asphalt, or you might end up wrecking a milspec-armored supertank on said wreckage. I think rams are basically supposed to reduce impact damage to other components in the same grid square with them, but I'm honestly not too sure.