Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The kickstarter launches Saturday. I'll probably kick in even though I haven't spent too much time with this, it has a lot of potential if it gets a decent tileset and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/568375735/cataclysm-dark-days-ahead-dedicated-developer

Cataclysm Kickstarter is up, and 0.6 is finished too!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Not mentioning/informing Whales was kind of a dick move, I don't know if it's worth retracting a pledge over though.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm a poor visualizer so I don't do well with ASCII. I can eventually get to the point where I can play an ASCII game but I do much better with even rudimentary tiles.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think the kickstarter will fail, it's at $2.5k/$7k after 24 hours, can't wait for you guys to play as me and get smashed by a zombie hulk.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

DriverMan is almost certainly LazyCat. If I'm thinking of the right person he's a known troll at Bay12 with an axe to grind against Cataclysm DDA.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Toady's a pretty light-handed admin so getting banned multiple times from Bay12 is an accomplishment.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

LazyCat has a mental condition or something because he's going through like 3 accounts a day at Bay12.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Anticheese posted:

It turns out that some of the developers and moderators in the DDA IRC room are bitcoin true believers! :haw:

A lot of them are bronies too as I found out to my chagrin.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

What happened with the Kickstarter? Did anything besides tiles get implemented with the money?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Strumpie posted:

Again I find myself agreeing with him, I always felt the zombies were a secondary and incidental obstacle to what occurred during the cataclysm. In the existing lore we already know this is the case so I don't see how someone can argue otherwise.

The one guy's argument seems to boil down to the fact that moving things in that direction inteferes with the lore he made up for the game (in his head). :rolleyes:

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 8, 2013

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm kinda glad I retracted my kickstarter pledge at this point, it's been 5 months and they still haven't gotten all the promised stuff in.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

From the day or two I spent in their chatroom I got the impression Cataclysm devs/fans tend to be a bit off. I made an offhanded joke about bronies and immediately a dozen people leapt to the defense of My Little Pony.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The King of Swag posted:

I don't want to start a witch-hunt, but can you can remember any of the names that were defending My Little Pony? No one particularly struck me as a My Little Pony fan, so I'm actually curious if it's anyone I recognize from hanging around in the dev irc.

Edit: Was this the dev or roleplay IRC room? Cataclysm has both and those are two entirely different things; I just made the assumption that you were talking about the dev room because who the hell would go in a roleplaying irc room for a roguelike?

It was the dev room. This was all the way back when the Kickstarter campaign first started, so I don't remember any names. I just remember bashing fanfiction and MLP and several people stepping up to defend both (someone went so far as to say a piece of fanfiction was one of the best things they had ever read, I'm almost certain they were talking about that MLP Fallout thing).

I equated grown men watching MLP to grown men playing with action figures and that caused even more controversy with someone saying that playing video games is equivalent to playing with action figures. I decided they were all weirdos and left.

I think the general audience for Cataclysm tends more towards the Bay12 side than the SA side, and Bay12 people are weird.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 10, 2014

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm surprised no one has mentioned whales is working on Cataclysm 2:

https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm2

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Did they ever add 3D?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I really do think Whales is going to release Cataclysm 2 at some point in the not so distant future. He's working on adding z levels right now.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

I really wish I didn't kickstart this.

I was backer #2 and ended up backing out, thank god. I just got a bad feeling about the whole thing and yeah, LazyCat ended up being completely right about almost everything. I still think he's a troll he just ended up being right in this case.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm going to go against the grain and say I probably wouldn't buy it unless it was totally amazing. There are enough free, very high quality roguelikes to fill my time. Not to mention the fact that it seems like every 3 days someone announces a new zombie game or a new indie roguelike-style game.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The King of Swag posted:

I didn't promise that though? This one has me confused; I mentioned it would be nice if a modding community developed in the wake of the project being finished, but I didn't say anything about hoping the modding community would shore up the project and any possible failings or shortcomings. As for liking large bloated RLs, that's all well in good, but I think it also plays into exactly why RLs are generally not commercial ventures. Commercial ventures need to have well-defined limits and goals, which goes directly against the concept of a decade long, aimless project that just throws anything anyone can think of into it.

Personally I think bloat and aimless additions are the monsters that eat all the fun out of a roguelike (at least if you're attempting to play it with set goals), leaving it a sad testament to bad game design, but that's the beauty of the roguelike community and why I love it so much. There's something for everyone and the barrier to entry is low enough that anyone that can't find what they're looking for, has a reasonable shot of developing it themselves.

It sounds like you don't actually like roguelikes that much. The community has existed for 30 years, I'm not into this trend of flash in the pan indie developers calling their 3D first person coop games roguelikes or telling us how we have fun is wrong. Those 'testaments to bad game design' will outlive whatever you make 15 times over.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Who pissed in your cheerios?

I just found his comments about genre classics patronizing. I fully admit to be a cranky roguelike grog, several pet peeves of mine were combined into one nice little package on the last page or two so I lashed out a bit.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 19, 2014

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Now I'm wondering if they simply pissed off the coders that were supposed to implement the Kickstarter stuff.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They should strongly consider refunding the Kickstarter backers since it's obvious at this point that poo poo isn't getting done.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Strumpie posted:

There was an upcoming 'sanitised' mod that would've removed the more suspect items in the game like maid outfits, bondage suits, fur suits etc. which was nice. Until one of the main contributors threw a fit about it being hatred against women and ruining the 'core' game. (Open source drama and contributor entitlement :toot:) Luckily Granade was a voice of sanity in this instance and made it himself for those who want it, here. There's a list of items that it removes, mostly things like fedoras, et al. You're also free to change the list how you like to add/remove things.

The community for this is so ridiculous, the discussion thread for the mod got into a prolonged derail about whether a police nightstick should be considered a japanese weapon because its proper name (and ingame name) is 'tonfa'. No, of course we can't just rename it to 'nightstick' even though that's what everyone calls it!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Diabetes By Sundown posted:

Has anyone messed around with Cataclysm 2? I finally got it to compile on OSX and started up a game, but only for a few minutes. There doesn't seem to be much discussion about it nor are there any LPs on youtube that I can find, which leads me to believe that I'm not going to get very far before some massive bug breaks the game. The concept seems interesting, here's Whales continues developing it.

The original didn't garner much notice either until there was a ready-made windows download.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

A lot of the content they've added has been stupid. Whales version may have been buggy but he had some sense of quality control. Not long after he gave up on it the 'community' took it over people started adding bondage gear and joke items and 50 identical guns.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Adrian Owlsley posted:

I'd say this is probably the best current roguelike platform for modding since it's open source and has a pretty good basis for a lot of interactions.

Better than ToME or Angband, which has inspired a whole shitload of variants?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Adrian Owlsley posted:

I'd say so since cataclysm is more versatile than classic roguelikes. The more complicated systems like driving, some of the visual systems and the survival mechanics are pretty impressive and a good basis for a lot of things. I'd say it's better looking in ascii than older roguelikes as well. I don't know much about tome and angband mods though.

Angband is probably the most modded roguelike ever, with dozens of variants, some of which became their own games with their own variants.

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=List_of_Angband_variants

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Beeme posted:

I'll admit I'm getting a bit hopeful. :ohdear: He made this game once, if only he could make it again, this time with working NPCs.

It'll be funny if Cataclysm 2 comes out with working NPCs before CDDA has them.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Slime posted:

And at least when he lost interest in Cataclysm he hadn't made a kickstarter and taken a bunch of money so that makes him way better than the DDA team.

Yeah it seems like no one wants to work on non-trivial additions, people will eventually get bored and lose interest if the game stays in this state. Bring on Cataclysm 2.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

I've tried most of it's really lovely spaghetti code, and needs to be untangled, when Kevin commented on this he was all, "Well, yeah that's why we're PAYING someone to do it." Like gently caress dude, clean up your goddamn code. I burnt out on this before I really even got started.

I think I remember him saying he'd do it himself if the paid coder didn't, and that he was the ultimate insurance that the kickstarter would succeed. So glad I backed out my pledge.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's loving retarded those crafting changes didn't go in given the amount of dumb poo poo that they happily put in. CDDA is like the Anti-Crawl as far as community developed games go.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

He did say at one point part of the reason he got bored with Cataclysm is that it was hard to maintain his sloppy code.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

While this thread is on page 1, the new stable release is probably today.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Does this really even need a thread anymore? At one time it seemed like a really promising new roguelike but uh, not anymore, really. On the off chance they actually do anything with it other than adding dildos and making windowsills give you tetanus there's a general roguelikes thread.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

silentsnack posted:

Guessing: kevin/whales have no idea how masochism actually works :v:

Does that surprise you?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

buttcoinbrony posted:

Grab the experimentals from http://dev.narc.ro/cataclysm/jenkins-latest/Windows/Tiles/, they're pretty stable for the most part, and there hasn't even been a feature freeze so I doubt 0.D is anywhere on the horizon.

Actually they are thinking about finishing up some things and then doing 0.D.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I was lurking through their forums and Kevin Granade said something about them putting all the joke items in a mod. I don't know if it also removes fursuits and dildos, etc like people originally suggested.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

That list is just as long as it was a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

weak wrists big dick posted:

Are there any good single board PC's with a decent handheld case, full qwerty keypad (numpad is a plus, FN key number is essential at minimum) that can run Cataclysm pretty well? This is 100% a dumb idea that I'm not quite sure I even care enough to implement yet btw

You could probably hack something together from a Raspberry Pi if you have access to a 3D printer and the knowhow. Otherwise pickings are pretty slim. On the high end you have stuff like the GPD Win which is a handheld Windows 10 PC with good specs and on the low end you have something like Pocket CHIP which is fugly as hell but might get the job done.