Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I'm open to the idea, but since GDA was made to emphasize certain balance tweaks and design choices that may get undone/rejected by the main branch, my understanding was that it was to maintain those. If the DDA team is actively accepting the tweaks and suggestions people here are asking for, it may be the right choice to work off the DDA.

My contributions regarding the plastic/kevlar/fur stuff were built on my fork of the DDA and I simply made pull requests to DDA and GDA so v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Daktar posted:

How do I make plastic chunks? Is it a crafting recipe or do I need to chop something up like making rags?

(a)ctivate a knife, select a plastic object. size of the object determines how much you get. Plastic bottles give 1 chunk for example.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Oh yeah I forgot about the move to soldering irons. :doh:

BTW I totally boned GDA trying to merge with DDA. I think trying to independently maintain both repos is going to be a major pain in the balls.

I'm rolling it back and will give it one more go but if this doesn't work I think I'll have to leave it at that - trying to merge it thus far has been an ballache and I can't imagine trying it again each time an update to DDA comes out.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Okay, think I un-hosed it and its merged properly now. Goddamn it git :negative:

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Here's GDA 0.4:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1409531/GoonDDA4.0.zip

Let me know if there's any issues.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Anticheese posted:

The title at the top of the window still says version 0.3 :v:

:negative: Will fix shortly

e: here's the fixed version
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1409531/Goon%20DDA%200.4.zip

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 27, 2013

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

It's merged with the newest DDA so it has the adjustments of GDA coupled with the new stuff in DDA.

I've been run off my feet at my day job so I've not had a great deal of time to devote to GDA so far. Ill start looking at new features and bugfixes (like being unable to reinforce plastic/Kevlar/fur and reinstating certain mutations) tonight.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Really? I remember there being reinforcement but when someone earlier said it wasn't possible I assumed it was because I'd broken it, or a merge had broken it or something.

If you are capable of reinforcing it then I guess it isn't broken (at least in DDA) so I'll check GDA when I get back.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Since it seems it is still possible for metal/kevlar etc reinforcement, what do people think of the balance for plastic chunks/kevlar plates etc? Do you think its too easy/hard to get them, do you want other sources etc.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I remember dying in my Apoco-Tank after turning it into a fortress on wheels because when diagonal, there was a gap at the wheel sections where baddies could get in.

Murdered in the middle of my fortress by a sneaky infiltrator. Waddya going to do? v:shobon:v

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Anticheese posted:

Some changes appear to have been lost in GDA 0.34. Shelter kits still take up a full backpack, for one.

gently caress.

The merge seems to have overwritten some of the GDA specific stuff. What a mess.

e: sorry guys, I kinda boned the GDA merge. To anyone who still uses it over DDA, let me know if anything else has been lost and I'll put it back in.

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 27, 2013

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

What volume value were shelter kits in GDA previously? They are 40 at the moment which is pretty big and I assume what it was before Jon fixed it.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Okay, to reiterate: Sorry for exploding GDA, I'm in the process of mending it. Vengarr's books are back in, the shelter kit is fixed and I'm currently adding in the capability to add mutations to the professions so you can start with specific mutations. Also, since the suggestion list asked for a "Junkie" profession I added it, low hanging fruit and all that. Making it have a random addiction is a bit of hassle at the moment, but you can add specific addictions. You'll need to know the games internal names for the addictions, but I can throw them in a list and add them to a text file in the data directory so you can look them up. The same for mutations, I'll add the terms you need and what they add to a file for reference.

GDA 0.4.1: the Unfuckening will probably be ready by tomorrow night. In the meantime, if there are any other features of GDA missing, let me know.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Tyskil posted:

So what do fleet footed and road runner actually do? I always take Fleet footed because I wanna to go real fast all the time, but I don't actually notice a speed difference on even terrain. Unless every terrain is actually even terrain? I still have green levels of speed going over rubble so I don't know what the gently caress.

Speed affects how many turns it takes to do something. You won't notice your speed being fast in an empty environment because it doesn't work that way.

If it takes, say 10 turns for you to move 1 space with a speed of 10, and a zombie 12 turns to move 1 space with a speed of 8, you'll outrun it easily. If your encumbrance drops your speed to 7, so you take 13 turns to move one space, the zombie will catch up to you eventually.

These numbers I'm pulling out of my arse but the concept is the same. This also applies to reloading and stuff which are helped with traits like "Quick".

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Here's the new version of GDA:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1409531/Goon%20DDA%200.4.1.zip

-Shelter kits are back to their non-dumb volume & weight
-Mutations are now parsed in professions so you can make new professions that start with specific mutations
-Vengarr's books are back in. Sorry bout that :shobon:
-Junkie profession

There's not much in the way of new stuff since I was concentrating on putting the GDA stuff that got lost back in but, once again, if you notice anything off, let me know.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Jon93 posted:

I totally agree, go for it. It's petty and childish to remove certain mutes just because I don't like the community that likes that sort of thing.

Just an FYI the mutation was never removed it simply had it's descriptor changed to "plate" or something like that. You can go back and check the commits for GDA to find the anti-furry one to see what I changed and where.

I used "git pull upstream master" to merge from the master DDA fork.

What did you use to resolve conflicts? tortoise merge always complains about "not a working copy" when I click "resolve" after fixing the conflicts.

edit: nevermind, I figured it out. Just saving the file works, and I have to manually delete all the .orig and .REMOTE etc myself afterwards.

its annoying since it flags files that were apparently correctly merged (i.e. tortoisemerge doesn't flag or show any conflicts, but I guess its better if I have to quickly review them anyway.

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 30, 2013

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Just so people know, in order to allow language localization, the DDA team are using gettext() which on Windows is almost certain to cause "can't find libintl.h". For now, the only way I know of to get it working is here: http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/FAQ.html#windows_howto

But this won't be an issue for people who just play it, only if you want to do any development or building yourself.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

A quick question: assuming I was able to get, say, an electrical system working, so you could generate, transmit and utilize electricity, what kind of applications would you like to see?

I can think of a few, such as light sources, charging powered items/UPS, powering certain things like fridges and so on but is there anything anyone would like to see from such a system?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Anticheese posted:

Apparently solar panels are unfucked now.

PiCroft, is there any chance you can merge in https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/2008

Sure, I'll take a look once I'm home.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Hey guys,

Just to keep you up to date, I'll try and get the GDA merged with the latest build ASAP. I've been busy with my day job recently, trying to get a build done on our current game and its been hectic. And I've also reacquired an obsession with New Vegas :sweatdrop:

I've been fiddling with an electricity system and I am making progress but it is nowhere near ready to put in a build so I've set it aside for the moment and will instead concentrate on getting GDA updated.

Please bear with me.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

The King of Swag posted:

Not yet, but I'm not sure how I'd build a big enough fire to cover all the slime fields. Also, I haven't updated the nightly in about a week (just did it now), and noticed that at some point in that time, they've completely broken text wrapping. Text wrapping in the crafting window was broken, but now it's broken in every window.

Edit: Bandages are broken as gently caress in this build; activating them automatically adds one to your inventory, so if you have at least one, you have an infinite amount. If you still need more, activating and then canceling out nets you one extra.

Double edit: Going to give it a few weeks before I play again, because everything that can be broken seems to be broken. The commit log seems pretty innocuous, but whatever they've done over the last week, they've really screwed the pooch.

I'm looking into this now. I can't see any problems with the message draw code, so could you post a screenshot of the text wrap issue?

I'm trying to find where the bandages are getting decremented but it looks like the problem was in the last version of GDA as well and I didn't notice. I've gone back a previous version and it seems to work so ~3-4 weeks is roughly when it got broke.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

The bandage stuff has been fixed. The DDA team has done some pretty major changes to the way the item use works and they were doing some funky poo poo with maintaining a copy of an item then adding it back afterwards for some reason.

I've also made it possible to smash ovens, granting heating elements and sheet metal. I've bumped up the nutrition on MREs to at least double their previous values.

Still can't see any text wrapping issues. :/

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Yeah I agree, I think its something they overlooked when changing the system over. Because frankly its a big change, the last version used the "eat" function to cover the interactions with bandages (along with lots of other consumables that aren't actually, you know, food or otherwise edible), the new system uses a saner system, but they forgot to decrement the charges of items that you use.

I'm going to take a look at increasing the length of time fire burns when provided with different types of fuel. I think adding a log, or other wooden items, should increase the lifetime of the fire by quite a bit.

e: also, the unfucked solar stuff is merged in so it'll be available in the next version of GDA.

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 12, 2013

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Speaking of fire, there seem to have been a few modifications to how fire works in the latest nightly. For one, setting a random bush on fire will no longer make a fire that spreads out over a number of fields. There will just be one square that gets a lot bigger than it used to, while lasting for a substantially longer time. I'm thinking this is a step in the right direction.

Well from looking at it, it seems like it now takes into account fuel sources such as wood,liquids and materials.

For example, wood and vegetable materials burn slowly and produce a lot of smoke. Paper feeds the fire pretty nicely but is consumed quickly. Adding bullets to the fire will cause small explosions. Cotton and wool feed the fire very little but burn slowly. flesh is similar to cotton and wool, but produces more smoke.

Liquids such as alcohol and gasoline provide a massive boost to the fire and produce a buttload of smoke (any other liquid will kill the fire) and any powders will feed the fire relative to the amount you feed it but will be destroyed immediately, so its good for an instant boost but not as a long-term fuel.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Nevets posted:

Now we just need to be able to disassemble books into paper and we can have proper fire starting mechanics.

Just put this in.

It gives paper that is the book/magazine volume*2*10, so a book of volume 3 will give 60 pages.

There are a couple of considerations, first, it isn't possible to have objects of a volume that isn't an integer, so its either the pages have no volume and weight (allowing you to convert books that have volume and weight into a large quantity of weightless, substanceless paper) or have volume of 1 for paper, which is rather silly because then a book of volume 3 will be torn into a quantity of paper that has volume 60. Until or unless volume and weight become floating point values(extremely unlikely), there isn't any way around this.

Secondly, for the sake of realism/common sense, a book that is torn into pages would ideally give a few dozen pages at minimum, but this could give a player a gigantic amount of burnable material for virtually no effort. Its already possible to get easy access to slow-burning wood in the form of breaking virtually any piece of furniture so this might be balance breaking.

I'm going to put a new build of GDA together tomorrow, so if anyone has any further suggestions or if there's any part of this paper stuff you want to give input on, feel free and I'll take it into account when putting the new build together.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

The ammo/meds stuff calculates volume/weight for items with charges which is why you get bullets/meds gradually increasing in weight. Both weight/volume is in integers and is floored so it rounds down in all situations. To get round this, I've made pages into "comestibles" which means its possible to actually eat the paper. It'll depress you a lot though so don't do it.

E: also, I added amplifier circuits and copper wires to the ovens so if you break them and you're having difficulty getting a hotplate, 3 of the most difficult to find components are dropped by it.

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 13, 2013

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

So here's GDA 0.4.3:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1409531/GoonDDA%200.4.3.zip

Smashable ovens, items with charges now fixed, books can be (D)isassembled into paper which can act as fuel for fire, MRE nutrition bumped up.

Plus, merged with the DDA build as of a couple days ago so the un-hosed solar panels are in as well.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

loving kill me, I'm such a moron.

Here's the compiled version:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1409531/Goon%20DDA%200.4.3.zip

I specifically compiled it, then dragged the wrong zipped folder in :negative:

Yeah it has the bandage issue fixed. I think it applied to any item that had charges, but its been dealt with now.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

GodExtreme posted:

just a quick thing, if I turn NPCs on in the Goon DDA build they are very buggy and crash the game, yet in the normal cata build they don't seem to, is there anything I can do to fix this?

I haven't looked at NPCs for a while, I was under the impression they were still a ways off from being usable again. I'll take a look when I get home from work.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Yeah, someone else is maintaining it. You can get the latest build from last page in one of picrofts posts.

So, after a lot of testing, it does seem that you cannot get water out of a water tank except by drinking from the RV unit. Maybe you could make it work like the toilets do instead, picroft?

I'll take a look. I'll see about adding skill books for martial arts styles, for some reason I thought they were already in.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I put in the ability to siphon water from a vehicle in the same way you can siphon fuel. I don't think there's any such thing as a vehicle with a pre-existing (filled) water tank but if you, like Killer-of-Lawyers, have a kitchen unit and a water tank and want to drain it for any reason, now you can.

Urrrgh sorry for the length of time it takes to do stuff, I have the attention span of a magpie in the Aluminium Appreciation Society annual Disco.

I'm making progress on the electricity stuff but its going to be a while yet before its ready for a build. I'm going to need to rejig the furniture system to allow them to do things like change states and perform behavior based on powered/unpowered states.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Inadequately posted:

If we are allowed to request things, I'd definitely like to see a way to process rotting fruits into some sort of biofuel, as an alternative to gasoline. I'd also like to see some sort of farming system introduced, so that farm lots aren't completely useless once the initial crops rot. Maybe rotten meat could be processed into fertilizer, too.

Also, I think allies need a rework. As it stands, friendly dogs/blobs/manhacks more or less amount to 'attack anything in the area indiscriminately, then wander off'. Some method of telling them to follow you around or stay would be good for guarding your base, and maybe some way to tell them to ignore some creatures, so you don't wake up to find dozens and dozens of squirrel corpses around your house.

Comedy option: Fertilizing plants with tainted meat/growing rotten veggies allows you to grow friendly triffids.

Finally, some way to start fires without a lighter or matchbook would be nice. Maybe the trade-off is that it takes more time and effort, and you can only do it with higher survival skill.

Basically I want to play a crazy mountain man who shuns the false trappings of civilization, going around with an army of pets and burning down cities.

Edit: also, don't worry about breaking saves too much. Half the fun is starting out a fresh character anyway. If I really feel like carrying on an older character, I just use debug mode to give myself all his skills/mutations/stuff.

There's a "fire drill" you can use which I think you can craft using skewers and string.

gently caress all this talk of booze is making me want to go grab a jackie d.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I've done a merge so the next GDA will have the latest DDA stuff in, including folding cycles and the new bionsic/professions.

I'll wait till narcoticgoldfish sends a pull request and then make another build.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

narcoticgoldfish posted:

Pushed it today, Pi - sorry about the delay, everyone. Real life went straight to pot this week, but good news is I'm getting the hang of this thing. I've got a few ideas on the burner, but I think the one I'll pursue this time around will be monster spawngroups. If all goes well, I hope to have hordes of 1-200 zombies wandering the worldmap randomly, as well as updated loot lists, new items, and maybe even a special decoder ring hidden deep within the deathless body of the lord of the horde himself, Mr. Grimley!

There will be a few new items/professsions/etc added next Friday at the least, and I should have a better time frame on the horde project by then as well.

Awesome! Make a pull request on github and I'll merge your stuff in.

I'm still working on the electricity stuff so I'll make a build with the latest merge, the water siphoning and your items in as soon as I get it.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Also, goldfish, I noticed in my github notifications that you forked my repo, rather than Jons. Jons repo is the one that holds GDA and is the most up-to-date (my copy is pretty out of date by now).

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

narcoticgoldfish posted:

Hell and tarnation! I'll refork and throw a pull request in as soon as I get back home.

Edit: updated, synched, and pull request sent!

Where did you send the pull request? For reference, this is the GDA repo:

https://github.com/JonTerp/Cataclysm-DDA

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Don't you guys feel reassured that that GDA is in my capable hands? :v:

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Okay, here's the next build

Narcotic has put in an assload of new items, including a bunch of new drinks and stilling

I fixed a crash with radiation badges and all the stuff from the latest DDA is in the build, so folding bikes are in.

Water siphoning from water tanks in vehicles are in.

As always, let me know if there's crashes, bugs or problems and keep the suggestions coming.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1409531/GDA%200.4.4.zip

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Inadequately posted:

Skill rust seems to be bugged, turning it off does nothing and your skills still rust.

(I don't like worrying about that stuff okay don't judge me)

Looks like DDA changed the Rust option for some reason. I've fixed it now, will upload a fix momentarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Here it is:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1409531/GDA%200.4.4.zip

e: don't worry about starting a new game this is fully compatible.