Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

For anyone else starting out, throwing is incredibly good. Going from pointy sticks-> sharpened rebar-> wooden javelins-> lawn darts gives you very good damage progression and trains fabrication for other stuff.

Just be careful when fighting spitters/boomers. The spitters acid will leak when they die and damage or destroy your thrown weapons and the boomer explosions (but not thier bile) will do the same.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

I found a mobile meth lab and I'm busy tearing plating off a wrecked apc and strapping it to the methvan. The system this game uses is so close to lego and its amazing.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Just chuck rocks at the spore clouds. Its not like they've got lots of health or anything.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Fix zombie clothes, then eventually you'll be able to reinforce your own stuff and finally transition into making whatever cloths you need. Make sure to haul any leather and kevlar based clothing back to base and tear it down for materials.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 11, 2015

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Landmines are less deadly than I thought they would be. A patch of them spawned along the main road I used to get to a secoundry town and I ran across the drat things a couple times, but never got that badly hurt.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Is the pnuematic assualt rifle better than the the pnuematic bolt thrower? It takes a bit long ot reload the bolt thrower for my taste.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

God dammit. I stopped playing for a couple of days and when I went back I had lost track of my deathwagon and had to spend a half hour to find the damned thing. Is there anyway I can keep track of where I've left it?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Not items that can then be dissasembled back into component parts, for whatever reason

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Wouldn't you have destroyed just about anything useful in the fire?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Some extra care need to be taken with outposts, they can have automated spotlights that light you up for the turrets to see and fire at.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Is adding leather/kevlar to clothing supposed to add like 15 encumbrance? I recently switched from 0.C to whatever the latest experimental was and its not even worth considering up armoring normal clothing.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The experimentals have all encumbrance values multiplied by 10. So 15 encumbrance in experimental is the same as 1.5 in 0.C.

I understand that, but it seems nothing "layers easily" anymore and padding a shirt with leather makes it go from 2 enc to 15 enc, takes a leather vest from 5 to 15 and does horrible things to under clothing. It took it from a cool sytem where you could take your normal cloths and get a little extra armor out of them before upgrading to a system where you can permenantly ruin your stuff by shooting its encumbrance through the roof.

I knew it had changed when I switched to a newer version, but expected the increase to be by 2 or 3 points, not tripling or quintipling the base encumbrance.

Edit: There is something incredibly wrong when reinforcing something with leather adds more encumbrance than the base armor has.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 22, 2015

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

I'm just going to go back to 0.C. This crap with enc is not worth dealing with.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

I got tired of trying to catch up to animals to kill them in melee and started shotgunning them. This is far more succesful than I could have hoped, as other animals apparently move to investigate the noise and now I've got food walking up to me for the slaughter.

ed: I walk into town and see a ton of zombie corpses I didn't make. I worry for a secound there might be a Mi-go around, so I start looking for the source of the corpses.

Its a moose. Its killed 30 zombies and is barely hurt.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 22, 2015

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

I am dying for absolutly no reason. One secound I'm butchering zombie scientists corpses, the next my torso is at 0 hp and I'm dead. No warning, nothings attacking me, I'm not poisoned, I don't think its radiation. Sometimes when I load the save I can even move around a few steps before I keel over dead.

Is there anyway to check whats killing me? The @ screen doesn't list anything wrong.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Breathing stops. I took a single oxycodone earlier cause a couple turrets blasted me, would that seriously overdose me?

Ed: I may have taken a secound a few minutes later.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Is there some file I can edit so that I can remove it? This is pretty bullshit.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Royal jelly does not work, I happened to find one earlier and it does nothing to delay Sudden Demise Syndrome.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

What about them making gunpowder uncraftable? Will you add a recipe for that in your mod?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Does anyone have a link to the mod that adds craftable gunpowder? I can't find it using google and trawling through this thread is killing me.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

I was about to edit my post and say I saw that. Its pretty cool that its included.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

In the early game molotov cocktails are the best way to kill or severely weaken brutes and hulks. Ideally you want to throw it at them while they're climbing over a wrecked vehicle or something so they spend longer in the fire.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

I found a halberd and I'm wrecking poo poo.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

One thing you've got to be a little careful of is suddenly getting trapped by shady zombies. They've got 40 tiles vision at night and are (in darkness) invisible until they're right next to you. One or two on their own isn't too difficult, but they can travel in relatively large packs and love to start poo poo when you're getting mobbed by other zombies.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah, they aren't particularly dangerous as long as you haven't been punched through a wall by a hulk or something. They can be iffy on the first night but I managed to see them off with a butcher's knife and a little gumption.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Is there anyway to get power somewhere other than daisy chain frames from a outside solar array into a building?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Thinking about it I could use storage batteries in swap cases to power stuff inside a structure. There should be something like power cables you can use to transfer power between things, like jumper cables.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Nail the door to a room shut?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Doing anything with frames takes so drat long. Is there any way to speed up building my mobile fortress?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Higher mechanics skill.

How high? I'm sitting at 6, is there a set reduction per skill level or something?

The Lone Badger posted:

You are using a vehicle-powered welder, right?

Yes, I've built a little welding cart with a swappable storage battery that I drag around my work area. I should probably combine it with my shopping cart so I don't have to drag two things around at the same time.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

I'm having fun with the current version. My vehicle based issues are honestly because I'm a moron who couldn't just go with the RV I found and instead had to completely overhaul the front end and extend the rear.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Don't even need the wheels, just be really strong! :pseudo:

UPS would be superior but I have only one welder and need to WELD EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW.

Also, somehow, you can fit a cargo container inside a cars trunk.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 22, 2016

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

No, its a type of "frame" you can add to vehicles. Its really light and quick to build so you can use it as a sort of extension cord.

I don't think it would have worked for me since I'd have had to punch a hole in a wall and didn't want to risk my house collapsing.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Having just tested it, no. But you can build frames into window spaces, so if you have one in the right space and are willing to sacrifice the ability to close it you can do it that way.

Honestly though, swapping storage batteries is the simplest way of doing it.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Have you got the vehicles addition modpack installed?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

The version that I got with my download seems to work, I haven't had any weirdness yet.

How many tiles can you knock out of a wall without the whole structure collapsing? I had a bad experience with a zombie hulk once.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

So if you're really, incredibly unlucky knocking down a single wall could bring down an entire house?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

I'm at that point in the game where I need to move all the poo poo I've collected into my brand new up armored RV and I want to kill myself. Why did I collect so much useless crap and why do I feel I have to take it with me.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

You hear plink!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

It is, and the actual problem is I'm trying to sort through 9 different loot piles so my RV isn't a pigsty. If I'd sorted everything to begin with this would be so easy.