Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It depends on the animal but most will ignore you unless you get too close or are injured and it's a predator of some sort.

If they're intent on chasing you and they're faster than you they won't back off unless you hurt them or scare them some other way, I think fire works for some/most normal animals?

edit: Gauge your reaction on the animal. Fox chasing you? Throw something at it or hit a few times and it'll probably back off. Moose? Shower it in a hail of gunfire, grenades, molotovs and spells while you ram it with your murderhome.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The eating and drinking part is interesting, it'd be quite an incentive to get your food stocks sorted out if zombies actually did break into houses and eat stuff now and then.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

I've just met my first kevlar zombie(not a hulk) and drat that is one hardy bastard. My machete did like 5 damage on a crit and my quarterstaff did nothing at all. Luckily he bashed me away which gave me time to whip out the mossberg and unload into him. Took five shells to put him down.

Are there any melee weapons that actually work against them?

E: The basement I was pulling enemies from also had a devourer. It took six direct shotgun blasts to the face and a few more swings with the machete before it died. It must have chomped on a few zombies while down there because the shotgun blasts did something in the range of 200 combined damage according to the log. loving hell...

Looking at its stats, the best weapon would probably be a molotov or something to burn it to death. I'd try and lure it outdoors or just straight up avoid it if I can't get it outdoors.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I mean that does accurately model suburbia, I suppose.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Ah so you're survivor zombies I keep finding.

I know it wouldn't work but if this game had something similar to dungeon crawl stone soup where you could find the zombies/corpse of other players it'd be great.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Some of the smaller shotguns can fit into leg holsters, from what I remember.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Unless they've changed it recently, sawing off the barrels of most shotguns and maybe adding a folding stock should let you put them in pistol holster. sawing it down also makes them really quick to aim, so even caught at close range you can probably draw, aim and fire off a really accurate shot.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Coverage is massively important, I'd much rather take armor with lower defense but more coverage.

It doesn't matter that much when fighting normal zombies, but as soon as you fight something that hits hard and fast you're gambling with your life. Accidentally walking into a turrets line of fire goes from "Really bad day" to "Dead instantly" when you inevitably fail that 1/6 chance and a bullet snakes past your vest.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I think they either didn't spawn at all or were something really, really rare in labs.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

I haven't played it, is the simple answer. I do like most of what's in CDDA it just needs to be "de-Kevined" a bit. Luckily, fixing counter attacks and archery is a fairly easy set of json edits.

From what I understand its basically CDDA but de-kevined.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Giant mutant aphids when.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Oh I misread it.

Giant giant mutant aphids when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

worm girl posted:

The chances of getting pinkeye are really low unless you are super sickly or are wearing contacts and have nictating membranes, especially because most characters wind up with eyewear on 24/7. It was added as a logical consequence of getting fermented dead people juice in your eyes and for life sim reasons, not really for gameplay balance. I am sure that many players will never notice pinkeye exists.

My overall aim is to make the game more immersive in little ways that don't amount to too much on their own, but add up to create a more personalized narrative experience, thus the farm stuff, molting, and pinkeye.

Future plans involve bile sometimes making your clothes filthy, which you'll be able to resist with waterproof outerwear, dodge skill, or luck (or just using ranged weapons to defeat boomers). I also want to add a mutation that makes you not care about filth, and for it to not bother characters as much on prosthetic body parts. But one thing at a time.

What about the idea of making the player nauseous if bile gets in their mouth, protected against by having some mouth protection? I don't generally like to wear anything that causes mouth encumbrance due to the stamina penalty, but the idea of weighing up the stamina penalty vs chance of vomiting sounds interesting.

e: I didn't realize being boomered already cause nausea.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 1, 2023