Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Welp, just tried my first character, following the new game guide on the wiki and advice in the thread. It went pretty well until I followed the road out of shelter, set off a landmine and got one-shotted by shrapnel to the head. :)

The one thing I'm confused about, the guide says to 'check your map' to find a route to town, but my map was completely blank aside from the shelter. Is that something that's changed since the guide was written, and if so how you you find more loot-able buildings/where do you go once you've looted the shelter?

Edit: Started a second character, find the locker I smashed already smashed. Took me a second to click, but when I did I just headed out and looted my previous corpse. Glad I didn't step on a second landmine, that would have been REALLY embarrassing.

Edit 2: Lasted about two minutes after that. Man, when they say 'tough zombie', they MEAN it.

VVEvery tile other then the one I was in was 'undiscovered' or something to that effect. Just a sea of grey hashes.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Well, finally managed to survive VBD/Tweaker, and without using a car or basement to boot. To celebrate I decided to give the character an unlimited supply of a random mutagenic serum. I rolled it, and got... Slime. RIP Crackhead Carl, survived the worst possible day only to turn into a puddle.

Edit: Slime isn't as bad as I thought, six serums in and he isn't dead yet. I even got a mutation that DOUBLEs intelligence, making this dude even smarter then my pyromaniac squidman with a grotesquely swollen brain. On the other hand he needs 2-3 times the food and water of a regular character (I guess he eats by osmosis now?) and is in constant pain. He's still a roughly playable, non-dead character though, which is more then I can say for my experiments with Chimera or Elf-a.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 3, 2016

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

One of the traits ol' Crackhead Carl picked up was Radiogenic, meaning he heals from radiation instead of being killed by it. He also just happened to have a toxic waste sarcophagus password, so I decided this was a great adventure to embark on.

I already knew about the radioactivity, but in the process of looting it I discovered two other things hazardous waste zones have in plentiful supply: infinitely respawning zombies and weed. Scattered among the trash at the various dump sites were 33 separate joints, so either this place was a front for a smuggling operation or the workers here were blazed as gently caress 24-7. Either way I was liking the vibe of the whole place, and it suddenly occurred to me that Carl should set up shop here: once you close up the sarcophagi the respawning zombies can't get to you, Carl was so mutated that the huge pools of radioactive sewage were actually a plus for him, and come on, how many other postapocalyptic scavengers live in an undergound bunker with a working elevator? In the laborious process of moving my stuff over, I suddenly started mutating (it took me an embarrassingly long time to remember that I was irradiated as gently caress from rolling around in nuclear waste): I got Venomous and Webbed Hands, but most importantly I lost Sores, the mutation that was causing the constant pain! Things were going great for Carl: New underground lair, no more constant agony, and the massive amount of marijuana I found which was going to be used to treat his chronic pain could instead be used to treat chronic boredom! After hauling over most of my stuff in a shopping card, I noticed I had spawned in one more slime serum and decided, fatefully, to use it in celebration.

The results were exquisite: Hollow Bones (move 20% faster, 40% less carry weight), Pseudolimbs ("Your limbs can fit into anything! +4 Dex -4 Str) and Sensory Disintegration (can only see in one tile radius, -8 Per, morale penalty). So basically his bones collapsed and resultingly he can't hold himself in an even vaguely human shape, and he's miserable from not being able to see anything and constantly tasting the floor. While his Dex and Int are still sky high (18 and 24), his Str and Per are awful now (7 and 5) and he can only carry about 40 pounds (which I can only imagine he's awkwardly pushing along as he oozes across the ground). We're in full-on I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream territory here, and worse yet he's dangerously low on supplies, as I'm pretty sure I didn't bring over the food yet. After a long moment of panic and about thirty turns blindly groping around for it, I find and check the shopping cart, let's see what is in it: guns and ammo, a shitload of books - good choice bringing those instead of food, rear end in a top hat - and my medical supplies. No food. With this character being a) twice as hungry and three times as thirsty as a normal character, b) unable to carry anything beyond his clothes and c) effectively blind, there's basically no chance of being able to get back to the old house for the rest of the supplies. So yeah, he's hosed. I was pretty bummed, until I remembered: the joints.

Not only had I found almost 40, but the medicine supply in my shopping cart included 55 units of cannabis that I'd found in various grow rooms. I turned a copy of Dianetics into a mountain of rolling papers, and soon enough I have like a pound of fine smokables. I'm not even sure how Carl is smoking these considering he doesn't have a mouth or probably even lungs anymore, but it's somehow working. While I'm puffing away, I put in my earbuds (god knows where) and just start candybowling the various drugs I've found so far - a little Adderal here, some codeine and oxycodone there, not to mention coke and low-grade meth. The end result of this whirlwind of debauchery is a morale of +630 and an Int of 36 - I'd be reading at x10 normal speed if I could still read (or even see) - and the inevitable overdose will spare him the pain of starving to death or, even worse, drying out. Thus ends Crackhead Carl, human puddle: doomed, but determined to go out in a very literal blaze of glory.

Edit: I was half-joking about him eating by osmosis in the previous post, but I just noticed that he stopped 'eating' and started 'assimilating' food at some point. I love this loving game.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 5, 2016

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

So, I found a sweet flamethrower in a military bunker, and HAD to use it on something... I picked a huge beehive, just because preliminary testing seemed to imply that honeycomb wasn't destroyed by fire, making the whole place much easier to loot once I cleared the bees and scarred zombies out. The problem is, I sprayed it a little too liberally and now every single tile of the 3x3 map size beehive is a raging fire, and it doesn't seem very interested in ever going out. After two weeks I pitched a tent right outside and started living there, just in case it was outside my reality bubble or something - no dice. Is there anything I can do to speed along the process, or does the fire just live there now?