Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there a way to make the font square?
I used to play the tileset version when Whale was developing Cataclysm but in the absence of one in the new version I'd at least like to have a decent font.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

TheKnife posted:

The font dimensions are set in the data/FONTDATA file
Just change the 8 to a 16 and you're good to go

Ah, thanks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

TheKnife posted:

The font dimensions are set in the data/FONTDATA file
Just change the 8 to a 16 and you're good to go

Unfortunately that doesn't really work well. Text ends up having huge spacing between each letter, making it really hard to read.
Any other way?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How do you empty liquid containers without using the contents?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Speaking of graphics, I really hope they'll be done with tiles support soon.
Playing with ASCII is possible but it does involve using 'x' a lot, especially considering many things have the same symbol and color (walls and benches for example).

Old Cataclysm version with tiles was the poo poo.

EDIT: On that note, I gave some money to their kickstarter. Hopefully everything goes well for them.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 22, 2013

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My biggest problem with ASCII is that it adds an extra layer between seeing the current situation and understanding the current situation.

For example, while it easy to remember basic symbols for road, zombie, wall, etc, I can't possibly remember all the item symbols. So every time I walk into a room that has items in it, I have to bring up the 'x' menu and look at each item.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The King of Swag posted:

Here's another fun one that you can't even tell what the gently caress it does from context, other than it's located in a constructor called veh_interact, which creates a liked-named class.

code:
winw1 = 12;
winw2 = 35;
winh1 = 3;
winh2 = 12;
winw12 = winw1 + winw2 + 1;
winw3 = 80 - winw1 - winw2 - 2;
winh3 = 25 - winh1 - winh2 - 2;
winh23 = winh2 + winh3 + 1;
winx1 = winw1;
winx2 = winw1 + winw2 + 1;
winy1 = winh1;
winy2 = winh1 + winh2 + 1;

Whoever wrote that piece of code, deserves to be punched in the face. Twice. Every day.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What is that new "Focus" meter? I can't find an explanation about that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How do you reinforce poo poo?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Which of the easy-to-find items best to use as a fuel when I need a fire to cook meat on?
Right now I'm looking for heavy sticks and burning them but they don't last.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A couple more questions:

How exactly does clothing encumbrance system works? I understand the penalties but not how it calculates the final encumbrance.
It seems to be more complicated than adding all the numbers together.

Also what's the point of re-layering the clothes with '+' menu? I played around with different layering but it doesn't seem to be any difference whenever I wear my backpack over my t-shirt or underneath it.

Berious posted:

(a) use your knife on a two by four for a bunch of skewers. One skewer is good for about 3-4 cooked meats or a ton of clean water. Also they have no weight or volume so you can carry around all the firewood you'll ever need.

Fantastic, thanks!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has anyone else tried to recreate themselves in Cataclysm (no cheating!) and see how far you manage to survive?

I keep dying because I'm too weak to use any melee weapons and getting to gun shops with static spawning is deadly.
I managed to find an MGL with 4 grenades and 2 Anti-Tank launchers. That Jabberwock didn't see it coming. :smug:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm playing with Classic Zombies setting on but Jabberwocks still show up. They shouldn't IMO.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

So long as they don't put their stupidity in the game I don't even care.

There is a fursuit in-game right now though.

EDIT: I don't care though, as long as they don't start putting poo poo like that among traits and npcs and all.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Apparently Cataclysm team is using their kickstarter to implement tileset support.

quote:

For non-backers who haven't been getting regular updates - our programmer has begun work on getting tileset support working, and is making good progress. I expect it to be finished early next week, and several folks on the forum have tilesets ready to plug in and go.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

quote:

For non-backers who haven't been getting regular updates - our programmer has begun work on getting tileset support working, and is making good progress. I expect it to be finished early next week, and several folks on the forum have tilesets ready to plug in and go.

Posted at 2013-08-11.

Shows that kickstarter money goes a good way...right?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How do you have such nice smooth color scheme in your game?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has anyone updated tilesets yet?
I'm used to play with Deons tileset, both Whales and DDA versions.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

I really wish I didn't kickstart this.

Kickstarter.txt

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What's the most complete tileset for Cataclysm right now?
I haven't played in ages and their forums are a nightmare to find stuff on.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Have touched this in years now. What's the current most complete tileset right now?

Also are fursuits and gimpsuits are still a thing?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 4, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I downloaded the latest nightly (the Cataclysm launcher is really neat) and all the furry poo poo is in there.
Also apparently they added a whole bunch of animalistic mutations and something tells me they're also there for the same reason.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

The mutations are really cool and shouldn't be discounted to some knee jerk furry panic reaction.

I mean, I don't really mind either way.
The worst those things do is give me an occasional cringe but I mean, if I was looting random people's houses I would probably find a furry suit eventually as well.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How do book recipes work exactly? Is there a way to commit them to memory or something?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also, have they changed the armor layering system? I vaguely remember encumbrance changing depending on the layer on which the armor was equipped but now I can seemingly wear a backpack under my t-shirt and nothing's changing (unless I'm blind).

Leal posted:

You read the book over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

Or you just keep a copy of the book near your crafting area and not worry.

Do you at least remember it if you craft the item once with the book?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there any way to "recover" from having lost a couple of limbs? I accidentally stepped on a land mine but managed to crawl away and survive.
Do I try to irradiate myself in hope that I grow some extra appendages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How do you "drive" a shopping cart?