Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Mister Bates posted:

e: I started a new game, spent the first day getting my shelter pretty well stocked with poo poo looted from a nearby town, and the next night while I slept a loving wandering NPC smashed one of the windows and stole a bunch of my poo poo. Heavy Sleeper is bad, and also murder all NPCs.

If you can find any bear traps those work wonders for home defense while you sleep, especially if you can force intruders to walk through a few in a row. I've never seen how well they work on NPCs but a few of them in a row will kill zombies pretty good. Just throw a rock at them to disarm 'em as needed and you'll be very likely good to rearm them elsewhere even without any trapping skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

So I got a quest to find someone's lost dog. They gave me a dog whistle, which has gotten the dog to turn passive, but the dog isn't following me. What gives/Am I just screwed with trying to get the dog to do something other than faff around in place?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Yeah the dog whistle only controls a dog after it is bonded to you by giving it dog food. No, this is not explained in the quest anywhere. Another option is to grab a pet carrier, they spawn in vet offices and very rarely as random loot. I think you can also attach a leash to them with a rope.

I did manage to lead a dog all the way pack to the quest giver with nothing more than a whistle put it was super tedious and involved me pushing it the entire way.

Last option's gonna be a non-starter (even though it gives a great image of someone trying to push on a great big dog who just wants to sleep all day only stopping to kill the occasional zombie hassler) - the rope leash sounds the most promising, how do I make that work?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Realism!*

*please ignore the sentient plants

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Leal posted:

I thought this game took place in future England and not 2011 Vancouver.

More like Massachusetts actually (it's New England) as I recall.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah if you meet an acidic (not spitter) zombie in the early game your best bet is to kite them over obstacles and kill them by throwing or shooting, unless you have a melee weapon with reach like a knife spear. You can also kite them over a row of nailboard traps if you have those.

Nailboard traps are really useful early on!

Bear traps are also fun if you can find a few early on, they hurt zombies a lot (like 60+ HP lots as I recall) and can be disarmed risk-free with a simple rock. I don't know how easy they are to arm at low stats but I've never gotten the impression the risk of getting chomped by one at 0 trap skill was high enough to matter.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Seems to me like anything a field of caltrops would take by itself would be faster handled by some good old fashioned vehicular slaughter.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Is there a way to consolidate these partially emptied lighters I find in town? It's dumb of me to care but when videos like this exist it just feels even dumber that there's no way to deal with it besides just ignoring non-full ones entirely.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

That must be it. I'm still at a point where I've yet to find a welder in any game, and I've literally never had any issue driving in un-modified cars.

Unrelated question: are there any better reach attack weapons than the steel/knife spear? The wiki doesn't seem to have much info.

Item browser is a godsend. Clicking on development at the top will take you to the latest experimental build list of reach attack weapons too.

e: Some weird things are on the stable list, the development listing is much more accurate so I'm altering the link.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 11, 2016

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

NPCs :unsmigghh:

Or uh maybe just make an Unrealism mod to reverse some of the stupid 'realism' changes.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Is there any downside to setting the world gen to make larger towns?

If you make the number big enough wilderness effectively disappears I believe. Otherwise not really besides making the game easier.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

bitcoin bastard posted:

PE (the ingame version) won't save you from driving over a minefield at 100.

Much like real life it pays to take things a bit slower sometimes. Or just have a rocket launcher handy (assuming you can target the ground with vehicular weapons anyway).

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

You might also randomly find an atomic lamp in a house which will never run out of fuel.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Yep. Intact ones are safe. (At least as of the last time I played.)

Explains why I never had any trouble. It's not like you want to take your lamp with you when hunting critters/turrets at night anyway.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

The grognardy poo poo of trying to be more real than real life has always been pretty tiresome and I wish it were confined to mods instead of the game.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I won't promise this is the answer but my guess would be you have to apply the knife to fire first because some idiot sperg couldn't handle the abstraction.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Fayk posted:

Noob question time:

1) Is there a setting/etc to refuse to (or specifically warn/prompt) when something I craft is going to use something I've got equipped? It's pretty annoying when I Accidentally craft a random thing out of the pants I'm wearing.

2) Obviously finding a backpack is ideal, but I feel like I'm spending WAY too much time (I'm brand new) fussing with lovely inventory management that is a little too 'real' (except in real life I have two loving hands to carry things and don't need to take conscious action to momentarily put something down).

I know I can do stuff like constantly drop any makeshift slings/etc I make, but is my approach wrong, or should I not worry about minor encumbrance, or what?

1) I believe if you have two options for crafting something, one on the floor and one on your person, you get a dialog box asking which one you want to craft with. I don't recall if this shows up if your options are in your equipment and in your inventory and no you do not get a warning or prompt about crafting with equipment otherwise.

2) Torso encumbrance is only a thing if you like going toe-to-toe with zombies. If you have half-decent ranged options you can pile on the duffle bags. If you don't, pray for shopping carts or functioning vehicles. You can make a travois from a wooden frame if you can't find a clothing store/off-brand Home Depot/etc. with proper shopping carts close by or a useful car/truck but they're slow as molasses. The other thing you can do is just drop poo poo in the front doors of houses/businesses you want to hoard use later and not clog up your inventory with the stuff you can't do anything with without the right equipment.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

There's nothing stopping you from creating a basement, as long as you have a jackhammer, access to food and water, and lots of patience.

Oh you meant like without any in-game elbow grease - the second thing then.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Carcer posted:

you mean /?

If yes, then yeah, but I used that to dump huge amounts of varied crap in a couple massive piles so sorting through it is taking forever.

Press s and c while in both views. Even better, press a and you will see everything in the closest 9 squares.

Now, you still might want to sort a bit if you like having specific places to dump all your tools/materials/food/drink/etc. instead of just piling everything together, but if you don't care about that you should be good and even if you do your work will become loads easier.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

coyo7e posted:

I started playing this today nd I'm having some issues I am having trouble with - like how do I fill a container with water? I tried aluminum cans teapots etc, I cannot for the life of me figure it out. The documentation says to stand over water source and , or (g)et but it doesn't seem to like that.

Also in the Tiles version, my screen's constantly coverd with red circle/slashes or red circles-with-X, which makes it hard as gently caress to see what's going on.. Is this a tileset glitch or just some toggle-able option similar to excluded dangerous tiles in Crawl?

For the first thing you need to have an empty resealable liquid container available like an empty milk jug or plastic bottle to hand, cans and teapots don't work because they aren't resealable. When you have that you'll have to pick the water you want to get first and then the container you want to put it in. Yes, it's slightly dumb and clunky, but that's kind of how the game rolls in general.

Second thing sounds like a problem with the tileset you're trying to use, try a different one.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

More Dead Rising series influence would be welcome in my books - both in terms of actual toys available and combo vehicle/weapon design philosophy (fun over realism/"balance" obsession outside extreme cases).

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Gun Kata or other absurd DoomRL style gun arts would be awesome. Even just un-nerfing guns would probably be enough though.

One possible way to deal with the lovely artifacts besides getting rid of them is to make them usable for crafting/modifying items. I definitely agree that genuinely good artifacts should be a reward for the proposed portal dungeons/mines/labs/etc., but I think it'd be neat to take a lovely lightning artifact you'd otherwise leave lying on the ground and use it on your armor to make any enemy that hits you get zapped, or on your gun to give you lightning shots, or to make entirely new and awesome toys that have unique powers. As a bonus if you decide you no longer need one of the genuinely nice artifacts because you found a better one it could be useful for more powerful modifiers/toys than you'd be able to get otherwise.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I recall two ideas bandied about for the endgame, neither of them worked on but still decent starting points:

-Going to the nether world and blasting the hell out of the invading forces
-Escaping to a space station

If real endings had ever been prioritized instead of shoved on the back burner by the people who want nothing more than to pretend-poo poo in the woods forever they'd probably be in by now. Like better NPC AI there was never enough organized interest in making them a reality vs. twiddling with mechanics to make them more 'realistic'. It's not even hard to come up with ideas for end goals beyond those two either, and a framework never had to be more than finding some intel to set your path, putting together whatever doodads made sense to allow your journey of choice, and then fighting a boss to cement your win. It just got stuck at the vague idea stage instead of becoming anything more concretely pushed for.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Isn't there also a perk you can take at chargen that modifies the wet penalty? Outdoorsman IIRC, but I haven't looked at any recent versions.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Does it add negative weight and/or volume? If it does that might be worth the trouble of making it impossible to ever get a real version of that item (assuming you are fine with abusing a hilarious bug like that).

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Muy Thai has the flying knee, but you can't go wrong with Krav Maga either.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

What happens if you say yes? Do you hit the bottom of the boat with a humorous 'thunk'?

Spoggerific posted:

You dive into the water like normal. You can then control the boat while swimming in the water underneath it.

suddenly I have Ideas for a game about a low-wisdom wizard. if you have the right spells, you alter reality or yourself to accommodate your actions, and if not, you clonk headfirst into reality instead of being told no or getting a chance to reconsider

may require too high a wisdom and dexterity stat from the player for most though

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Maybe if you just shoot it with a big enough blindfold instead...? Not that the Cata devs would ever approve such a thing, too unrealistic.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Sawn-off sniper rifle, why I never. What's next, a sawn-off rocket launcher? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Somehow, geese remember they used to be dinosaurs, and they will not let a little thing like being a lot smaller than they used to be get in the way of that.