Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

I haven't played in awhile so booting it up to see the new changes. Hit a jackpot by finding an abandoned truck by the gas station but no way to get gas in the dumb truck, as well as 2 Railguns with zero ammo. You son of a bitch

In one of the previous DDA versions, I ran into two groups of dead drug dealers cosplaying as mega man. All the corpses had a fusion armblaster implant. No weapons or ammo, just loving blaster arms. What am I gonna do with 10 of those when I can't install them, game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

When trying to make a sawn-off Saiga, my game crashes. I'm using the latest GoonDDA.

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Why is the cold I caught lasting literally forever. :smith:

Its been ten days and I've still got it. I spend most of my time eating and sleeping and I'm always dead tired/exhausted because my character keeps loving coughing in their sleep and the medications dont do anything to stop that.

Dayquil/Nyquil got rid of the side effects for a time in earlier builds, do they not do it now?

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

So uhh, don't use explosive slugs. They apparently just fall right ouf of your gun. Just lost a real promising run from it. :smith:

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Spoggerific posted:

Welp. I went into town at night thinking it would be pretty safe, and the first building I go into has a loving zombie hulk camping the door. Is there anything I can do to survive this?

My current inventory.

should of just cuttem up.

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

How heat resistant is the new firefighter gear? Is it only good for a quick sprint through a burning building or can I turn myself into a walking inferno that can basically torch everything I look at and just shrug off the heat damage à la The Fury from Metal Gear Solid 3? Is it possible to become resistant enough to wade through lava?

theres a bionic that makes you resist fire, but i doubt you'll ever be able to wade through lava.

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

It's the RM99 revolver. It uses caseless ammunition, and can mount like 10 different mods and a conversion at the same time.

I looked at the mod and yeah, it says rifles. What kinds of conversions are there for pistols?

the rm99 is nice, but i prefer the actually pistol, just cause you can stick a silencer on it.

Blackray Jack posted:

The evacuee definitely does NOT start off with a knife, hence the initial complaint. Also the recipe says it takes a glass shard and rags to make a knife, which in turns requires a cutting weapon in order to make rags which brings me back to square one of not having a knife. I mean don't get me wrong I'm a veteran of roguelikes and all, I'm just having an irritating go at this really.

the evacuee survivor definitely starts with a pocket knife.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 13, 2015

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Clarification - Evacuee is the scenario you start in and has no bearing on your initial inventory loadout. That is taken care of by the profession, which if from that menu you take survivor, you get a pocket knife.

yep. what class are you starting as blackray jay?

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Tehan posted:

They don't hit as hard but they're nigh-impossible to damage unless you're a murderbeast.

or found a assault rifle with ap rounds.

the real bummer about those fuckers is that they don't drop poo poo.

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Blackray Jack posted:

Alright, so, I got mechanics to level two and I stumbled on a toolbox early on. I am currently removing the battery and trunk from a car.

How do I make a powered oven thing? How do I attach a solar powered whatsit to a whatever? This is my best game yet so I'm pretty excited to be further expanding beyond using the fireplace for all my cooking/etc.

EDIT: I tried removing the trunks from a car but all it gave me were steel frames. Eh?

Steel frames are what's used for making trunks, and a lot of other things.

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

I was running around for like 30min and it never came back :( Could it be because I got boomered to the face?

if you are boomered than your whole screen will be tinged pink and you can't see past a square infront of you.

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Honestly, virtually none of the morale bonuses seem worth it. They're all trumped by listening to music.

fancy can be really nice, because jewelry and the like doesn't add to encumbermant, and you can wear 2 of each jewel. Having a permanent +20 morale boost is pretty dang nice. music will always be king poo poo of morale mountain, but having to keep putting batteries in it til you get a ups/ups converter can be a hassle.

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

turns out the best sidearm in the game is a sawn off saiga with a folding stock. stick that in a holster and you are ready to go, as quick drawing seems to get rid of the whole "takes longer to ready" penalty that folding stocks add. 10 00 shots is more than enough for anything that comes your way.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 5, 2015

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

What's the fastest way to get a non-smoking cooking place going?

finding a hotplate in a town.

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Illegal Username posted:

Oh god help which guns do i want to take with me. I got a full gunsmithing/ reloading set so i guess ammo is not a big problem but i am just paralyzed with choice.

I guess the Saiga is overkill since my close combat needs are fulfilled by hydraulic-powered Muay Thai and my crack stockpile

saw off the saiga, slap a folding stock on it and have a burst fire shotgun that can fit in a holster.

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Artificer posted:

Hmm. I don't think the Sawn Off Saiga can be put in a holster after all. I don't have any mods on it and it still won't let me. What gives?

you need to slap a folding stock on it.

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

I killed a fungal tower with grenades, but I due to a small accident involving a flammenschwert, the fungal patch is a monstrous inferno that has been blazing for like
eight hours. For some reason the fungal tower corpse is still intact in there, and I kind of wanted to butcher it to see what came out. Is there anything good in that corpse or is it just tainted veggy chunks and I don't need to waste time hanging around here anymore?

it drops edible food that can set you on the fungal path.

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

huh that's weird, why is a smoker zombie this far out in the wilderne

e:also weird how a 200 year old gun is one of the best ways to level up handguns.

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

so i downloaded a mod that added more medieval weaponry and 2 new styles, Medieval Swordsmanship and Pankration. here's medieval swordsmanship in action(for some reason its only showing up as normal on the main screen).

dodge is 10 because this is a cheat character

after hitting the first hulk it just took away all control as like 10 more tanks ran at me and suicided on my counter. its kind of ridiculous.

basically, once you get your melee and dodge skill up you are a literal whirling dervish.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 24, 2015

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Apparently power armor prevents you from wearing scarfs, earplugs, or protective mouthguards, despite the fact that none of those items go in slots that the power armor occupies.

It seems like power armor is a massive pain in the rear end, especially since it prevents you from wearing any storage items except for helmet netting. If I want to run around and bop zombies as a massive robot man, I need to drag a cart behind me with all my loot, clothes, and tools. Obviously, this isn't very practical for places with staircases.

Should I just skip the power armor until/unless I find a hauling frame as well? That 214 armor is awfully tempting, though...

e: Also, what's the difference between the two power armor interface CBMs? I have both, but I only had enough skill to safely install the Mk. I.

mk. ii probably uses less energy.

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

so can you die from not sleeping for like 5 days because you drank around 30 cups of atomic coffee, other than the obvious radiation poisoning? i kinda don't want to lose this character cause i had a real good start by finding an atomic coffee maker and lamp, along with a working motorcycle.

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

if you run into an npc, always pack heat. i prefer shotguns, because they'll basically always hit.

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

also try to find a kevlar vest. it only has 5 encumberance when fitted, and its enough to stop most pistol rounds from doing too much damage.

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

aw, they got rid of the sawn off saiga, so now i can't have one in a pistol holster, so i guess the best shotgun now is the ksg, because throwing a folding stock onto that lets it fit in one, while also have 14 goddang shells in it.

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Artificer posted:

What? Whoah I've been away for a long time. When did they add the KSG? That's a cool as hell gun.

no clue, but you can change between the different tubes with the change fire command, so you can have 2 different tubes that have different kinds of shells in them. i currently have 1 with buckshot and the other with slugs.

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Anticheese posted:

Nope. Pretty sure you can still apply a hacksaw to a Saiga.

they got rid of it being a seperate, craftable item, which was confusing me because that's how you did it before. i guess they changed it to applying a shortened barrel/hacksaw to it to make the sawn off version at some point.

good to know the saiga is still the best side arm in the game. :v:

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 27, 2016

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Is there anything (a mod, whatever) that allows me to put blinds or something over the glass in a vehicle? I'd really like to be able to draw the shades and get some decent sleep in my chair for once

that should either be in the base nightly or is added by the vehicle expansion mod thats also bundled with it. you just need a sheet.

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Man alive after all this time I still cannot come up with a really bad day build that doesn't die instantly in the 95% of the time you run into something more threatening than a basic zombie before you cure your infection and sleep off your flu.

Well, I guess that's not true - tiger kung fu and 1 point in Unarmed makes things quite surviveable but it's loving tiger kung fu, that's like spawning in a plasma gun and an infinite UPS at the start of the game. I'd really like to to figure out something else. Anyone have any ideas?

keep restarting until you land in a tiny 6 house town. :v:

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

How do you use weapons with reach, for that matter? I had a knife spear and I recently upgraded to a shiny new steel spear, and I tear through regular zombies like a dervish now, but I'm not exactly ready to dance with the big boys up close yet.

im pretty sure the work like ranged weapons. press f to poke someone.

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

Is/was there a bug that prevents fully repairing quarterpanels and doors on vehicles? My survivor has 10 Mechanics and every part of her survivormobile is in perfect condition, except the doors and quarterpanels, which are light green. When she tries to repair them, the game says "you repair the <part>" but doesn't award any Mechanics experience and doesn't actually mend the part in question.

yes. thats been happening for the past few nightlies.

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

a) permanently-on UPS MP3 player with a ton of downloaded music off SD cards so that you're perpetually elated

Wait, what? You can add music to MP3 players?

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

Or you know you can just find a jack thats pretty much found in like every third car or pretty much always in a garage.

if your car is too heavy you actually need a boom crane.

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I picked up this game last week and have thoroughly enjoyed being zapped to death by shocker brutes.

How do I deal with shocker brutes, regular brutes, and hordes of various monsters?

Liberal application of shotguns for shocker enemies. If you don't have a gun and need to kill a shocker with melee make sure you're not hitting them with a metal weapon. Don't try taking on zombie hordes until you have some combat skills, hitting " will make your character sprint which lets you basically outrun any zombie even if you're in pain.

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I really should have realized running was a button. This is a game changer for me.

So apparently zombies that die in a fire can explode. I am assuming they were carrying something explosive.

probably some ammo, i think they made them capable of exploding now. or you ran into the actual scariest zombie; the grenadier.

also on more shotgun chat, if you are lucky and find a saiga or a ksg, you are basically set for your side arm. if you go at the saiga with a hack saw and slap a folding stock on it, you can put it in a pistol holster, and its 10 shots will ruin anythings day, and the ksg just needs a folding stock and you'll be set with a 14 shot pistol sized shotgun.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 1, 2016

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

But it might make you glow.

i thought only if it was damaged?

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

guns have always been a good panic option. i killed a tank on the first day with a tec9 i found on a dead drug dealer. just make sure to hit 5 to steady your aim before shooting.

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Slime posted:

Cataclysm has always done stupid, unrealistic things in the name of realism. Guns are super loving deadly, they'll gently caress you up. We've made these things to not only kill eachother but to kill things bigger and meaner than we are. Plus they're already limited by scarcity of ammo. And speaking of resource scarcity...the truth is, if you look at the game world, the player should be loving drowning in resources. The vast majority of humanity is loving dead, and zombies don't go looting. I can see a bunch of food and some tools and weapons and such being picked up in the initial stages of the zombie apocalypse, and sure some of that food would be eaten. But tools and weapons would be goddamn everywhere. And yet you need to comb through house after house to find a laptop. There's multiple of them in a house these days! They would not be hard to find!

guns really arnt that hard to find. once you get a set of lock picks you basically have infinite guns/ammo, what with how often gun stores spawned. honestly, i wish most guns you found were damaged, and while still good for a few magazines, are better served to be scrapped so you can make the homemade guns, because right now there is no purpose to that poo poo with how easy it is to get a factory made gun.

balance it by making guns be more deadly to give you a reason to use these guns also. right now guns are good panic weapons but you need like 7 gun/7 gun type skills to actually be any good at shooting them beyond 7 tiles.

make the rare gun safe a treat because you know you'll find a mint condition factory made weapon.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 10, 2017

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Anticheese posted:

What about repurposing the vehicle creation screen to support guns, so frankensteining a gun out of a salvaged receiver, furniture, and a crappy pipe you turned into a smoothbore or whatever is a thing, and you get the opportunity to play with and grow attached to 'your' gun?

Something, something, shotgun of Theseus.

thats a cool idea and i kinda want that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 30, 2011

Fayk posted:

I must be misunderstanding, you can both accurize™® them with a firearm kit (or whatevber the otherone is) as well as load them with some ridiculous tacticool set of mods.

For me, base game, ammo is the problem, never ever guns. Even though the cataclysm happened 'yesterday', looting an entire gunshop results in like maybe 80-100 bullets spread across fifty types.

But you end up with like a dozen random firearms.

I mean I get that it's a videogame and common bullets would be 'easy' but given how many zombies there are, I feel like you could triple (or more) the number of bullets you find and it'd still be finite enough people would totally care about saving their bullets, etc.

One of my chars has survived over a year now, and has I think maybe 200 9mm total, having fired zero shots ever. Low numbers of everything else. I haven't been specifically targeting gun shops but I've still hit a couple.

It feels like the most common source of bullets would just be running around ripping ammo off mounted guns or disabling turrets.

it really is saying something that .50 is the most common ammo type if you are using the vehicle mods.