Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

I remember hearing this was the case a year or so ago, mounting a turret in the middle of my vehicle... and then finding out it didn't fire on enemies bashing against the side of the vehicle unless I opened the door.

They fixed that. Before I updated to above, my dumb rear end decided to assault a mi-go scout tower. Fake spoiler: don't do that!

I managed to live because I had strapped 4x M249s and 1x M2 to the top of my deathmobile. Ran past most of them and managed to slap the "shoot everyone who isn't me" button.

E: poo poo was hilarious. Every time I pressed 5, a few more Mi-gos would come out, the next time I pressed 5, they were dead.

Spoiler for mi-go scout towers: poo poo is hot enough that you can spend ~50 turns in there, maybe more in fire gear. I wasn't able to figure out a way to get the prisoners out, but I did figure out how to get all the mi-gos to chase me (show up).

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

One is called “lab” and the other is called “science lab”. I think the 1 floor variant is “lab” but don’t quote me on that.

Autodocs also spawn in at least one doctors office layout so that’s an option.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I've never had to cauterize because I always had disinfectant/booze available.

...I forgot to mention that hard alcohol works too.

E: matches IRL; every time I bash my shin open on the coffee table, I splash a little vodka/whiskey on it and my leg hasn't fallen off yet.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 17, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I usually make it to mid-late summer before I lose interest and start a new character or begin doing increasingly dumb/suicidal things until the character dies.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I had a post upthread explaining how to get a vehicle inside and outside of a building. TLDR: Construct an empty door frame and build the vehicle through it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Pet peeve #42069: Siphoning liquids is tied to a specific item instead of a tool quality. I assume there’s a shitload of hard coded stuff that prevents it but adding a rubber hose to the toolbox would make a lot of IRL-except-apocalypse sense.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

If you're on Windows, just grab a copy of the game launcher/updater: https://github.com/remyroy/CDDA-Game-Launcher/releases

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Wolfechu posted:

I'm sure it's dumb to ask most people this, but my dumb rear end has thrown unactivated grenades at zombies more than once.

I lost a very good character trying to point blank burst a zombie. Pro tip: Underbarrel grenade launchers are included in the F rotation.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

There was some recipe a few months back that was negative 2^32 calories. Naturally I saved and tried one. Character died of starvation in a few hours.

E: Whoops I meant negative 2^31.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Spoggerific posted:

A couple of things that I came up with off the top of my head...

A link to http://cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/ / http://cdda.chezzo.com/ would be useful for new players.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Oh yeah, more likely that you'll drop all the ceilings and leave the walls intact, but you could drop an entire structure with a single demolition attempt (fake edit or a single crossbow bolt). There's no shame in save scumming.

For stories, there’s the time I collapsed half a house with a crossbow bolt.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Did you throw or drop that grenade?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Failed to visit member... makes me _think_ it’s going to parse the rest of the file but that might not be correct because the JSON parser I’m most used to (Python dict-as-a-shitload-of-constants) will barf on any syntax error.

Is one (part of) one of your mods not showing up at all?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Is this related to stamina at all?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Also, if you select the mission in the quest log, you should get a map icon for the next step in the mission. If the next step is off what you can see on the overmap, there should be a red arrow on the side of the overmap.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Nested containers is an awesome idea but CDDA did it horribly. The gold standard in this area is *checks notes* Project Zomboid, which is not known for having a good inventory system.

E: I was kicking around this idea in my head for a CDDA clone that embraced the per-pocket thing but there is no good way (that I have found) to streamline the UI of "I want to put this thing in my inventory" when you have 20 different places to put the thing. First thing I would do if I was king of CDDA would be to eliminate individual pockets on a single item. Unless you're simulating the time it takes for the right hand to take a thing out of a right/left pocket, there's no need to treat every pocket on a pair of cargo pants differently.

E2 \/\/ That's what I meant, my bad on language.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 1, 2021

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

There's a ton of ways to do really simple, straightforward inventory nesting like this but they'd be built around inventories that are a little more abstracted in terms of size/weight capacity. Escape from Tarkov has really good container nesting because it uses a Resident Evil 4/Diablo style grid size system.

Inventory Tetris on a per-container basis (think NEO Scavenger) works. Not well, but better than any other idea I've seen.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Give everyone the velcro skin mutation, throw in some multipliers for dexterity and stealth, call it a day.

Oh.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

You used to be able to disassemble metal sheets -> small metal sheets -> scrap metal fairly quickly with a soldering iron (maybe a welder? don't remember). Get the sheets from disassembling shelves/kitchen appliances.

E: Above is not true in current game, needs a hacksaw. Not sure if that's new or I misremembered.

http://www.cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/sheet_metal/disassemble

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 21, 2021

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Woods soup is a good choice, you’ll need to collect some pine boughs to make pine needle tea but pine trees are everywhere.

http://www.cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/soup_woods

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I usually stick with 5 wide vehicles for just that reason. Sit in the middle, storage/workbench/whatever in tiles 2 and 4, doors/boards in tiles 1 and 5.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

If I remember correctly, the http://www.cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/adrenaline_injector boosts your stamina recharge rate. You need to use it before you run out of stamina, so at the beginning of a big fight.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

In general always try to keep your stamina above 50%. If you have a choke point it can be worth just passing turns and waiting to catch your breath even with zeds trying to bite you.

And if you don't have a choke point, stamina 50% is a great time to take your hands off the keyboard and think about whether you can take the last 2-3 generic zombies or whether you should start running away.

E: I have lost so many characters in both this game and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup because I was running away and that means I should press the keys faster right?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I switched over to an arming sword (assuming I don’t find a real broadsword first but that’s never happened for me). The arming sword has slightly less DPS but it hits harder which I assume means it does more damage to damage resistant enemies, the ones who you’re actually worried about. Either one utterly blenderizes basic/low level zombies.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I've also never found enough ammunition to make guns worthwhile because the military surplus stores seem to be hard coded to not spawn with anything useful in them, and I have no idea what's involved in crafting your own but I assume it must be an intensively laborious process for even a few bullets.

Milsurp stores are great for MREs which basically trivialize food once you get a stack of them. Ammo comes from turrets, gun stores, and the parts of military bases other than the turrets outside.

Fake edit: You can also find some other end game gear at milsurp stores like leg ammo pouches and ESAPI vests.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Counterpoint: weed basements are worth it. Game win status is having >1000 joints in your storage.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Used to be an A9(?) laser rifle that you could build from scrap after finding the right book in a lab. I put 9 of them on a deathmobile and poo poo was hilarious.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Right arm: ||||| -> |

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I don’t think I’ve ever seen one. I’ve gotten ammo and magazines a few times (and then carried them around the rest of the game JUST IN CASE).

E: My best find was some sort of combat mech that you could load into a livestock hauler. Fun fact, sorta spoilery: I thought my run was over because it shows up as a monster and I had just broken into a military bunker.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 14, 2021

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

I wish there was a little more to the survival content because I'd love to play this with monsters off as some kinda last man on earth simulator, but I can't imagine there'd be enough content to keep things interesting for very long.

You can grind to make yourself a nice riverside house with a farm and a dock to fish off of...and then re roll a new character because that’s boring as a video game.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

There is a vehicle workbench, I think you have to fabricate a specific workbench item to install it. My go-to vehicle was a 5x10 pickup truck. Cab is an enclosed 3x3 with a workbench forward of the seat, cargo carriers all around except for an autoclave and a freezer. I would store things I actually needed to grab up front. The bed was a 3x3 grid of cargo carriers that held crafting materials. I put a door between the cab and the bed so that I could access the crafting materials from the seat.

E: The front row was spiked rams for maximum zombie pulpage.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah I never found that much good stuff _inside_ the complex; they are excellent for getting military zombie loot from the front parking lot.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Interesting bug in latest experimental (1ddd145): If you try to grab and move furniture but are unable to (pain for my character, haven't tried with a healthy weakling), you can clip through one wall in the direction you tried to move it. The furniture has to have been able to move in that direction so it's probably not useful but hey, it's interesting!

The fridge is actually direct left of the doorway (IDK if the tile graphic being offset has anything to do with the bug but I doubt it). I grabbed it from the doorway tile then tried to move down...and ended up inside the wall. I can't move into any of the other solid tiles, only off the wall.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

All I see in that screenshot is two Milsurp stores and those sweet sweet MREs.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

60F in late July in New England???

*taps diver watch*

*dial moves to 59F*

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Might get disappointed on that front. I skimmed through one playthrough where Vorm built a huge vehicle with cells for captured creatures on the inside and in the end they floored it straight down the road into a city. Depsite being the biggest vehicle I've ever seen in the game it shattered kinda right away and the game had a seizure before the death screen finally came

I lost an end game god character to a brute entering my vehicle through a diagonal opening (was running over a bunch of zombies and got turned). The brute punched me out of my seat and into the back wall of the cab which was moving fast enough to kill me on impact.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

You wield your tent.

Fake edit: ^^ That also sucks.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Not sure yet, I survived that initial encounter by running away to the top left corner of the island and switching between rifle and pistol but I bounced off the new pocket system hard last night. I think I know what I was doing wrong* and I'm going to try again tonight or this weekend. I'm sitting on a decent hoard of military gear including multiple days of food so the next task is going to be getting off this island, preferably with at least some of my gear.

* So apparently your pocket autopickup settings are completely ignored if you try to do something silly like...insert an item into a specific container. This is dumb as hell but I'm pretty sure I can work around it by setting specific pockets to 999 priority with small whitelists then putting my main looting backpack at 998? Once again, this is a stupid way to do it.

http://cddawiki.chezzo.com/cdda_wiki/index.php?title=Clothing#Inserting_and_Unloading_Pockets posted:

By default, items picked up will be distributed to the smallest available space into which they can fit. Items can be manually moved between items of clothing by selecting the clothing item, then gong to the insert menu. The insert menu will display all items currently in the player's inventory (not including the surrounding area) that can fit into a pocket on the selected item, but does not itself permit for placing items in specific pockets. Important: Using the Insert option will override pocket pickup settings, and place the item in the first available pocket.

Unloading an article of clothing will dump all items contained in that clothing into other pockets on the player, or the ground if no space remains (unloaded items won't empty into themselves).

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

What designs do you folks use for deathmobiles/mobile bases? I haven’t ever built up a “real” endgame vehicle wider than 5 tiles because CDDA highways path through downtown fucksville.

It’s been a few months but my last design was basically a big rear end pickup truck, 5x10. I put a door between the cab and the bed so I could use the 9x cargo spaces for crafting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Did temperature debuffs get worse? I remember a low single digit percent speed malus at 80F+ which seemed fair.