Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There you go.

Doctor Doodler posted:

TIP: Install the Terminus font and edit FONTDATA in the data folder to use it. It's not tiles, but it looks a lot better than default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
For some reason, the controls for vehicles have been changed in the latest version. You have to use the menu for turning your headlights on and off etc. to leave your car now.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I just raided a town and a nearby lab for ammonia and bleach. Butchered me some zombies and now I have two gallon jugs full of mutagen. Uglification time! :getin:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are plastic bags useful for anything? I noticed there was a crafting formula to bundle 10 together for some reason. Also is there a way to STOP reading? I tried to read a first aid book and my guy just read for hours until spotting a spider stopped him.
If you say "no" to the "study whatever" prompt, your character will only read one improvement step at a time instead of until his skill level goes up.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

[edit] Any semi-reliable places to find ammo besides gun stores and military places? Do police stations carry ammo? I got a shotgun, but nothing to put in it.
Labs. Labs have a chance to spawn one or more armories on each of their levels. They're chock full of guns, ammo, addons, military equipment and healing items. The only downside is that you will need a way to destroy or bypass metal doors and reinforced glass walls. Once you do you're basically set, though. One lab can contain enough ammunition to last your character a whole game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

What, seriously? I broke into one of those and didn't find...anything, except a couple soldiers. Some bottled water. That was about it.
Bad luck on your part. Raiding those things is usually point one on my to-do list when I start a new character.

[edit]
Here's a screenshot of what I mean:

The lab level I'm on has three of those.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 8, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Static mode is all about making the best of what you can find, so crafting skills are really essential. Personally, I'd recommend something like this: start with a character who has 4 points in tailoring, 4 in survival, 2 in archery, the Wannabe Mechanic profession and the Android perk, other perks and stats as you want, but preferably mid-highish intelligence and perception.

Tailoring 4 will let you make your own backpacks right off the bat. 4 survival will let you make bone needles, which replace sewing kits. The Wannabe Mechanic profession starts you off with a Driving magazine and a book that can take you up to Mechanics 3. Archery lets you make a longbow and arrows, which become even more useful if you have good Perception. Intelligence will let you read more books as you find them, which is probably the best way to get a decent set of starting skills. Finally, Android has a chance of starting you out with some really good abilities, including the Integrated Toolset, which is just a godsend.

All of this will take a lot more than the 6 points the game usually starts you with, but with static it's no shame if you're struggling a bit in the beginning and give yourself an edge.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It definitely works. The bionic makes it so that the game always returns true when checking for whether your temperature should go up, down, or normalize. When it's active, it overrides all other temperature changes and always moves you back a step towards "comfortable" when the check happens. If you activate it while already comfortable, you can't get hot or cold no matter what.

It wouldn't hurt if it was a bit cheaper, though.

[edit]
By the way, Power Armor should automatically regulate your temperature for you if you have it powered by a UPS.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 9, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

We should be able to butcher corpses for fat and make tallow candles with them.
You can't slaughter corpses for fat (yet), but if you're set on candles, raiding Giant Bee Hives for wax is an option.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's really what I would say is Cataclysm's biggest problem right now. There's just no real goal. Once you've got a full loadout of stuff there's nothing left to do with all of it. It gets boring really quickly.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

PiCroft posted:

If Jon wants, he can post up his Goon build source and I'll throw it in there, from the looks of things, the changes are trivial.
A public Git repository for GoonDDA would probably be a good idea. I've been playing around with the source myself and I've already figured out stuff like making intelligence influence the rate at which you learn skills, which some people have been asking for. I haven't tried it yet, but from the looks of it, adding additional bionics and mutations and such wouldn't be too hard, either.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You just can't not love a game that gives you the ability to weld together your own Killdozer.

Hint: There are artifacts in the game that will give you "clairvoyance," the ability to see through walls. It's definitely worth looking for one, especially if you're driving a killtruck like that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Anticheese posted:

Which is dumb and terrible. There aren't many situations where you need to pick up stuff from an adjacent vehicle storage when driving.
On the plus side, I haven't accidentally left my moving car in ages.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

You also need a jack and rubber hose for changing tires and filling containers with gas from vehicles respectively. Jacks will be in garages with the other mentioned mechanical items but rubber hoses are probably limited to gas stations. Also the easiest way to check for whether a vehicle is useful or not is to (e)xamine it - a box will pop up with diagnostics, and if the vehicle doesn't say "wheels: lack" or "safe speed: 0 mph" you'll know you can drive it once you put more fuel in.
You can get rubber hoses by smashing any refrigerator.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Prokhor posted:

See this is super helpful thank you. Is it a case basically of if you can't see them they can't see you? How many things have some sort of night vision? It seems kinda random when zombies will detect me en masse at night and then lose track just as quickly. Are they attracted to light sources? Can I throw a glowstick or something as cover?
Everything has its own circle of vision that isn't necessarily the same size as yours. Zombies track you by sight, smell and sound, in that order of priority. If they can see you, they will run right for you. If they can smell you, they'll ignore any noises. If they can neither see nor hear anything, they'll follow your smell to where you last were and then track you down from there.

You can't use glowsticks as bait, but you can build a noise maker out of a radio and use that to lure them in. Or just set a building on fire. The noise it makes while collapsing will attract everything within a several block radius. Smell is harder to cover. If you can find an Olfactory Mask bionic, it'll make you emit no smell whatsoever while it's active. It's great for night raids.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No, it actually doesn't, it just makes it go away faster. Smoke does cover up smell, though. It doesn't keep you from making more, but it destroys the trail that's already there.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I like to turn Semi Trucks into pimped-out wheeled doom fortresses of solitude. Picking a random house in the middle of a city and just fortifying the hell out of it is pretty fun, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Slime posted:

There's also a furry tail mutation that improves your dodge.
There's also one that gives you a badass scorpion stinger, so it kinda equals out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

All this complaining about furries is kind of retarded. If there are any furries involved with DDA, they're the least obtrusive furries ever. This is not something that needs fixing

Lprsti99 posted:

E: Oh, and seeing the Crawl thread reminded me of something else: what about a starting 'profession' that randomly chooses one of the mutation categories, and randomly gives you mutations over the game, biased toward the category it chose (thinking of Crawl's Demonspawn here). Maybe have it preclude most traits as a balance (except possibly Robust Genetics, and Android or other traits that don't affect mutations?)
It can't really be done with the professions, they just don't support giving you traits. It should be possible to have something like that based on the traits that already exist, though. Just add the Genetically Unstable mutation to the list of traits that you can select in the beginning and you should have exactly what you're describing. All traits belong to certain mutation groups, so picking any of the other traits will let you pick what categories you want it to be biased towards.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'd be down for some activatable psychic mutations. Maybe fire-breathing glands too, or quills you can shoot. Caves of Qud does stuff like that, it's pretty awesome. You'd probably need to implement a new kind of resource similar to bionic power to balance it out, though.

Just no cooldown, though. I hate cooldowns.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Bullet crafting is a bit buggy at the moment. If you pull apart bullets and put them back together again, you're liable to get more back out of the process than you invested in it. I tried it just a while ago and somehow ended up with 4680 9mm +P+ bullets. I'm not quite sure what happened there.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The newest version has a new craftable "brass catcher" addon for firearms. Now you don't even need to clean up after yourself anymore. Handy!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think that something like that was originally planned, anyway. We have an existing faction system, even if it doesn't do poo poo, and the text of many mutations implies that eventually NPCs would have enough personality to like or dislike you based on the presence of mutations, bionics or both. It doesn't exist yet, but it's probably a planned feature at some point. Maybe they could ask toady for help.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I made this post about how to set up your character to survive static mode if you're having trouble getting into the game. It's a bit outdated now - in the latest version, arrows require feathers and spears/javelins are better than I thought - but all in all it should still give you a decent starting point.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It should be possible to make "deployable" bicycles. They could work off the same code as tents and shelters. Vehicles are basically just teleporting buildings anyway.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's simply the tradeoff for static generation. If zombies didn't reanimate, cities would just empty out way too quickly, because no new zombies get spawned. If you don't want to deal with it, use dynamic mode. Zombies don't get back up then.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

A fun thing to do in Cataclysm: Collect a bunch of zombie corpses. Pile them up in a locked room. Wait for them to reanimate. Use zombie pheromones on some of them. Instant zombie pit fight.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Buildings and such stay the same, but items and mobs are more or less independently random. If you explore a town, quit without saving and then explore it again, zombie distribution and items will be different. In order to make sure that stuff you dropped or saw doesn't just disappear into the ether, the game has to save every part of the map that you've seen.

There really should be a check to make sure that only areas that you have seen since the last save get saved again. Loading times get pretty long once you've explored a few labs.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think the long-term appeal of this game would be improved a lot by adding some interesting high-level abilities, a reason to keep improving your character. If level 25 firearms gave you the ability to turn every shot you fire into a small explosion, you'd actually have a reason to keep training it. Level 25 construction? Maybe throw up whole stretches of walls or pits, or get the ability to construct whole buildings out of a template instead of having to place every tile manually. poo poo like that. Right now, skills and abilities don't really scale too well.

Bilal posted:

Anytime I smash a refrigerator and examine it, I get a "If only you had a shovel..." message. Even if I do use a shovel to clear it the rubble, it never contains a rubber hose.
That's not something that should happen. Try moving onto the pile and [g]etting the items instead. If it doesn't work, you probably have a bug and they didn't spawn properly.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's a known bug. Cars with roofs will never charge their batteries. You just need to remove one or two roof tiles, that'll usually to it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No, you can't install anything over doors.

I've been loving around a bit with the weapon code. The Fusion Blaster bionic is way more cool and fun to use when it causes explosions that can blow down walls.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I don't think that's technically possible until overground z-levels are implemented.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Strumpie posted:

On the topic of z-levels I do hope they get towers and such working eventually, and some sort of persistence between the levels so zombies would follow you up, or at least wait.
I'm not sure about the current state of basements but I know in Wales Cataclysm they were horribly broken and buggy so I've avoided them.
Right now they work perfectly fine and zombies already follow you up and down stairs. It's a bit wonky in that they even follow you even if they shouldn't have been physically able to reach the stairs, but it does work.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

First artifact I ever found was a harp that gave me super clairvoyance just by carrying it around. No downsides that I ever noticed. It was great.

Capilarean posted:

How do fungaloid spires and triffid groves work in static? I recall that in dynamic they used to alter the spawn tables in their area, but that's obviously not gonna be the case now.
Everything except for zombies still spawns dynamically, so they pretty much work like they always did. I'm hoping that gets changed eventually, because driving through a swamp and suddenly getting buried in mosquitoes that appeared out of thin air is kinda dumb.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Jonny Retro posted:

I got a chance to test it and using the (s)mash command on a zombie corpse until it turns into a "Pulped Zombie Corpse" does prevent them from resurrecting. Sledgehammers and Wood Axes are of course superb at this managing to do it in one or two swings.
Really? That's great. I've been putting a lot of focus into heavy perception/rifle shooting, because the amount of damage a headshot from a .30-06 rifle used to straight-up vapourize zombies, no corpses left. Knowing that "pulped" means pretty much the same thing is very useful.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Church bells and noisemakers are kinda supposed to already do that, but they don't really seem to work all that well.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The part of fields.cpp that deals with how long fires burn is pretty complicated, so I'm not really sure what does what. One thing I've figured out so far is that the best way to keep a fire burning is to feed it alcoholic drinks. Whiskey, vodka, etc. increase the lifespan of the fire by 300 time units per volume unit, while wood and such add 1-4 time units at most. There's definitely a relation between units of volume and lifespan, but the relationship between material and lifespan is way larger.

[edit] Also, there's a relationship between fire density and lifespan. If you burn a lot of stuff at once, you will get a "denser" fire - that is to say, a raging fire instead of a small one. Big fires burn their fuel faster, though, so you won't actually get a longer burning fire out of it.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 23, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No kidding. Seriously, it's awful. The code is an horrible, basically undocumented mess. It's nearly impossible to change anything except through trial and error.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Incidentally, you can now abandon the controls without automatically getting hurt. You can even move around in a moving vehicle, so long as you don't jump out of the door.

esquilax posted:

Is there a way to dump only one unit of alcohol on a tile? Lowest I can figure is 7 (via dumping into a flask and unloading it)
None that I know off, sorry.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

PiCroft posted:

One of the things the DDA team started one early on was an item factory and loading stuff from files, which makes adding new tools, ammo etc a cinch. I think addin repairable Kevlar and plastic would have taken longer without it.

I think the problem with going through the code and un-loving it would require a pretty massive undertaking, even if it were just to convert variables to meaningful names and properly documenting the code. I'm not sure how much the DDA team are concentrating on this aspect though.
After screwing around with the code for about two weeks now, I'm with you on that. I actually think you're kinda understating how bad it is. There's no way to unfuck spaghetti code this bad short of completely re-coding it from scratch. I kinda doubt they're planning to do anything about it, because it would take months during which they wouldn't be able to do anything else at all.

I kinda pity the poor sucker they're planning to hire as a full-time developer now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The King of Swag posted:

Personally, the change I would have liked to see made is an end to item overflow. When you fill up a tile, I'd much rather the game simply tell you that the tile is full and keep the items that didn't fit in your inventory. As it is, when items overflow into adjacent tiles, I have to pick all that poo poo back up and find a place for it, or much worse, it fucks up my sorting system, which usually involves like items next to each other (i.e. guns in one cabinet, ammo in the cabinet next to it).

Since I'm already in wishful thinking mode, I wish like items on tiles and in containers would stack like they do in your inventory. I realize part of the reason they don't do this now is that there's no system in place to only pick up a number of items (like there is to only drop a certain number), but it would certainly make it easier to sort through tiles with a lot of stuff on them. It'd also be very nice to have them category sorted like your inventory is as well.
Use the extended '/' menu for inventory management. It does exactly that (and is just generally better.)