Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

So in order to assuage my guilt of wanting to make a god-character, I decided to take on the Really Bad Day starting scenario. 12 all stats except Perception (which is 10). Night Vision, Pain Resistant, Shaolin Adept, Quick, Fast Learner. Ugly, Forgetful, Weak Stomach, Heavy Sleeper, Poor Hearing. Skill rust and NPCs are off due to being bullshit and causing crashes, respectively, so I'm being kinda bullshit. Starting skills in Dodging and Unarmed, Shower Victim profession.

Had a few false starts while I figured out what actual priorities were (clothing is not hugely urgent, as weird as that might seem, loving give up if you see a Shocker Zombie because he's faster than you and you can't attack him unarmed), I got away enough to start breaking into some houses and getting my feet under me. Guzzled some non-drowsy cough syrup, aspirin, and vitamins from the bathrooms I found. Tiger Kung Fu is broken as gently caress. At one point I got surrounded by a wide assortment of common zombies - fat, child, screamer, tough, etc - and I just dropped them all as they flowed in. One of the 15 dudes I dropped in that rampage had a package of antibiotics on him, so that took care of my infection. I took a couple of big bites, but I broke into a pharmacy and grabbed some first aid kits to fix that.

Spent much of the late afternoon of my first day just crafting. Fast Learner makes a big difference. I just hung out in a house, reducing poo poo to components so I could slice through the first few levels of fabrication and tailoring I needed. Started to get tired, so I grabbed a car and started driving back to an evac center I spotted just out of town. Figured it'd be a good time to tag a few zombies, then got caught up in a crossfire by some loving SMG turrets that were going nuts on some nearby deadheads. The car was already in pretty bad shape, and when I lost control in front of a wrecked RV I knew it was time to bail. Fortunately I was only going 15 at the time, so it was no big deal to tuck and roll. SMG turrets are loving blasting all sorts of dead-heads, and a passing mi-go. I take off at a dead loving run and get away in the confusion, then hike back to the evac center. The flu and my residual pain from recovering from the infection keep waking me up, but I eventually get through the night. I see it's storming out but shrug, it's time to get a proper start now that the first day's over and my stats are something resembling normal.

I open the door to a loving moose not 3 squares from me. He immediately charges and I think I'm dead as gently caress, but I just start up with the kung-fu. Well, turns out I'd hit unarmed 4 without noticing, so I grab and drag the moose to the loving ground, then get all Tiger Rage on him and demolish his rear end without taking a scratch beyond his first charge. I proudly butcher him with a stone knife and take part of his carcass with me as my trophy.

Now if I could just find a goddamn hotplate to cook it on.

Also, apparently chomping vitamins makes the flu clear up quicker, because by 10 am on day 2 it had cleared up completely and I was at full power, pain/wet penalties aside.

Unarmed Combat is now at 5 and melee is now at 4. I'm basically already Jackie Chan. Is there any way to insulate my fists from shocker zombies, or is that a CBM only thing?

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

President Ark posted:

You probably want to have a backup ranged weapon anyway; the game has a decent amount of enemies that will gently caress you up pretty hard in melee.

Yeah, I have a sawed-off and a few dozen shells that I looted. It never leaves my inventory. I basically asked to make sure I wasn't missing something simple.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Yeah, I have a sawed-off and a few dozen shells that I looted. It never leaves my inventory. I basically asked to make sure I wasn't missing something simple.

trip report: even when completely unskilled it is difficult to do less than 100 damage to a shocker brute with a sawed-off per shell expended

that was easy.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Man, what the gently caress do you guys do during thunder storms when you've done most of the scavenging you're going to do? I've completely and utterly pacified this town I'm in by this point (I was honestly amazed when I was running through a book and I got interrupted by a single zombie) and I'm trying to pump up my skills so I can move on. But whenever a thunder storm hits, it gets too dark to do anything. The only thing I could think to do is go dig up some wreckage that was on the north end of town, but that's all done now so I really have gently caress-all to do.

On a somewhat similar note, I suppose, two more questions:

1) What's a shopping list for a decent mobile base? I needn't necessarily have all the bells and whistles of minifridges and forges on the thing yet, since the town I started in is fairly small and my skills still aren't amazing. But it should reasonably be able to sustain itself in the sense that it should be electrical with enough cells to keep it going, should probably include some sort of bedding, and should be reinforced enough that it can take a bump or two as I'm rolling down the road. Storage is also a duh, but I don't need that much really; I'm still basically living out of a shopping cart, and I only intend to take a couple meals with me as I leave town.
2) How do you deal with mine fields along the road? I went scouting with a throwaway car and the only road out of town forks out to two other roads that are eventually mined to loving hell and back. I managed to total the car about half a day's walk out of town trying to ford one of them.

For reference, here's where I'm at:

Bashing/Cooking/Survival are all at 1 but aren't shown. I'm pretty confident there isn't an electronics book in town so I'm not sure how I can build that skill. I think there is a soldering iron somewhere, but I need to go hunt it down.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tarezax posted:

My solution to being mobbed by zombies and blobs was to burn down half the mall :v:
I see no problem with this and encourage you to continue

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Artificer posted:

Do collapsing buildings and rubble falling on things destroy the items in a tile? Because I just stumbled upon a mansion and I have spotted hulks and necromancers from afar. I would hate to get my loot ruined by falling rubble caused by a hulk.

Either way, does anyone have advice for tackling this mansion? Hulks + close quarters + necromancers = really bad time.

Get their attention and then lure them into some place more suitable to fight them. Don't you have a turret on your car? Just go BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA and then run back to the gun.

e: goddamn phone

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 23, 2015

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

President Ark posted:

The problem is if you aren't careful about how you get zombies out of a building they (especially the big ones) will kool-aid man right through walls.

If you're far enough back from the doorway I fail to see how this is a problem! :v:

Alternately, just burn the loving house down.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The roof really should not collapse from a wall or two coming down, especially in the case of a large structure like a mansion, which also has a ton of redundant walls.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

There really should be a Thunder Hammer craftable that lets you basically use a sledgehammer with like 10 strength as if you had 30. Runs off standard AA batteries, obviously.

chain axe when :colbert:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I have never outright needed to cauterize a bite. Bottles of disinfectant are not difficult to come across, and even failing that, first aid kits also work just fine.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I believe atomic lights ARE squelched if you put them in a floor container or something of that nature, but don't quote me on that as I haven't done it myself yet.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 1, 2015

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

To be clear, when I said a floor container, I meant actually putting it into the container, as with the advanced inventory management.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

M.Ciaster posted:

I actually don't mind this one, but drat is it overwrought. Firing a few shots off in the middle of the drat street won't make you go deaf right off the bat, dammit!

WOT?!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Wasn't the gunpowder change more for gameplay reasons of "we want this to be a limited resource" than realism reasons? Not that they were good reasons either way.

no they explicitly said it was realism because it was apparently Not Ok for people to be feeding military-grade ammo to military-grade weapons as a matter of course

meanwhile, most of us had to stop firing our plasma cannons and laser rifles that are linked into an electrical outlet embedded in our assholes for more than 20 seconds to ask

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Take Heavy Sleeper instead, it is practically a perk.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Layering ANYTHING can be worth it once you get to tailoring 3 or so and can super-reinforce stuff. Even underwear like boxer shorts can provide 3 Cut/Bash when extra reinforced, and a camisole actually covers 45% of your torso with this benefit. A pair of arm-warmers can be made extra-sturdy with just a rag and will provide 3 Bash/Cut protection - this will prove invaluable if you're fighting unarmed and are blocking with your arms. Obviously, layering stuff with 6+ is best (neoprene is way better than cotton arm-warmers) but it's trivial to get tailoring rolling. Depending on your start it might be a little bit before you're working with plastics.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You don't need 20 strength. And if you want it, it's better to take 15 strength, jump to 18 with post-threshold Alpha mutations, and then scrounge up a bionic for the last +2.

The biggest upgrades to early survivability (in stable, anyways) are layering clothing with at least 6 bash/cut protection and getting that crucial first level of dodge. Once you've got that, some antibiotics or FAKs, and a modestly good melee weapon you're no longer seriously threatened by normal zombies or the majority of specials and have to go looking for things that can easily kill you.

A single point in chargen gets you your first 2 levels of dodge, which is basically the only skill I'd consider buying no matter what. Being able to dodge just saves you from so many lost HP in the early game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I found an apartment tower and I have really, really been liking it for the large number of beginner books and food it spawns. One question, though: if the elevator's terminal is broken, that's just tough luck, right? No way to get to the upper levels at all?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Caidin posted:

As far I can tell most elevators are broken except for like the ones you use to get into mines. I've got all the Z level stuff on though so I did once find a three story office building and a two story motel though you had to use the stairs.

Actually, can you use the construction menu to build your own stairs up to the next floor if it actually exists?

Doesn't look like it works like that. The only up stair construction is mining an up stair, which requires solid rock and is therefore unsuitable to something like an apartment tower.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

1 chargen point for 2 ranks in dodging is a bargain unless you are doing a low threat start like Survivor, in which case just find a copy of Dance Dance Dance. Dodging seriously limits the damage you take in the early game, when wounds tend to be most common, and Dodging raises very slowly otherwise.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I've been using just plain Jane cars, honestly. They are actually more reliable than solar vehicles in my experience, since you can't count on solar cells to charge a battery when they're not inside your reality bubble. By contrast, if I siphon a dozen cars with 2-4% gas, I've got more fuel than I will need for weeks and it is not going anywhere. The trunk holds 1300 volume by default, which is more than enough for a mid game character who cares most about building up big surpluses of canned and preserved food so they can go on reading or skill up binges.

It still makes a lot of sense to use a solar rig on an end game vehicle just because you can build it with the appropriate parts and materials from the start, but for moving from a townie that is plundering the local area to a road warrior that is blowing into town to look for a few critical resources before blowing out again, just grab a car. They're perfectly sufficient, easy to find, and REPLACEABLE. If you gently caress up and crash there is probably another car just down the road a piece that will serve just fine. Just siphon the fuel out into the other car, use the advanced inventory to move poo poo from trunk to trunk, and drive off again.

For a death mobile that you can set up correctly from the start, I would still go with a solar rig just because it frees you from having to ever worry about energy. But your standard electric car is set up pretty poorly and half of its cells are usually toasted anyway.

Ideally it would be possible to set up an efficient hybrid thing where you can have a gas tank simply charge a battery, to supplement a solar array, but I am not clear on if that is possible.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Even making survivor gear is like that really - you need to be willing to settle for extra sturdy hoodies and cargo pants for a long while as you explore restlessly, hoping to find the Kevlar you need to make it work.

On a somewhat related note, is padding stuff with leather/Kevlar a good idea? I've padded a number of things with leather at this point and while it claims it's been reinforced, I've yet to see that borne out in the numbers.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

tooterfish posted:

Shhh, that's two terrible secrets you posted about now! What you trying to do, get the unfun brigade to nerf them?

there are way easier ways to stay full/slaked forever

way 1: go to any vending machine, buy all the clean water bottles and V8s/beef jerky/pork sticks. eat and drink freely for the next week.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Manhacks are really easy to kill with patience + good torso/head armor, and they drop plutonium occasionally. Don't think of 50 manhacks as a threat, think of it as an opportunity!

They're one punch chumps to kung-fu masters :smug:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I completed my first lab yesterday with only light survivor gear and I was basically invulnerable. 9mm simply isn't enough to seriously threaten you. Pain accumulation was a bigger threat than the damage itself. I really wish I could find an emp blast cbm though, punching turrets to death is kind of the pits.

Also I started building my own vehicle yesterday with the help of my integrated toolset. Completely dismantled a wreckage to go from 4 mechanics to 10. Found out that solar cell infrastructure all counts as being on the 'roof' so there is no reason whatsoever to not fill your entire interior roof with tons of solar cells and batteries. Found a kitchen RV unit in a garage. Built my wartrukk backward and had to spend an entire day flipping the seat around.

Good times all around. I had a lot of fun figuring out how the vehicle system works. Hoping the wartrukk will work well, but I went for length over width since I'm used to 4-wide vehichles from driving cars around, which may yet turn out to be a mistake. Still, if I can get that emp blast it could yet be useful for mounting a bunch of turrets along the side.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

What's the restrictions on using a collapsible frame in vehicle building? I have a completely stupid idea about making a collapsible motorcycle and seeing what insane poo poo I can strap into a side car.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah but it wouldn't be able to support something silly like a turret, and no engine means I can't get away with installing an RC module to make a detonating warbike.

It's a shame we can't tow stuff.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Oh hey, another silly question. I found a tablet PC and started messing around with some of the SD cards I've been finding in labs, but everything thus far has come up either clean, or encrypted with no relevant information upon decryption. Is that functionality not working, or am I just unlucky so far?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Ah phooey, I was hoping the science cards would contain logs or something. I've been reading some of those in lab computers and the broad strokes of the back story are starting to come together, but without a way to record what I've found it gets difficult to connect the dots.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it's also worth noting that that safe speed is higher than the safe speed of some cars that spawn

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I've really failed to find a use for any on vehicle tools aside from maybe the FOODCO buddy, the more I screw with vehicles. Solar panels not working unless they are in your bubble with no catch up routine means that you really get no benefit from having a cool solar array grabbing you free energy to do stuff with. You're better off making atomic battery mods for the tools you are interested in, feeding them the dozens of plutonium cells you get from screwing around with turrets and robots, and using the space for a cargo carrier. A FOODCO buddy at least unifies a bunch of things to run off one battery, and maybe a mini fridge makes sense failing a buddy in order to keep things fresh. But beyond that, gently caress 'em.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

My last outing with a big vehicle (the wartrukk) not only had 18 solar panels but also a mammoth amount of battery storage, and the goddamn panels still couldn't keep up with a large electric motor with my normal usage, which is the primary reason I would want a big vehicle electrical grid. I mean, yes, I did have a backup V8, and a backup-backup Diesel engine, so it isn't the end of the world by any stretch, but I really end up wondering where my priorities went wrong when I come up from a lab dive with another half dozen useless plutonium cells and noting that my truck has, once again, failed to do anything useful while I was underground. It left me wondering why I engineered such a large vehicle that was such a pain to drive through towns and so on when I had to babysit it so much.

My more recent design is a sort of wartrike where the trike wheels are road roller barrels and I basically have only enough space for 4 cargo carriers and a seat, and that seems to work a ton better.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 1, 2015

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

Same, truck alternators are quite efficient and fuel is easy enough to find.

It is totally bogus that alternators can only charge a single attached battery. :(

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I just parked a car across the street from a regional school, blew the horn a couple of times, then scampered away, got a road roller, and flattened a swarm of zombie children that came out to investigate the noise.

The carnage is incredible.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Double fisting purifier and medical mutagen to try to get Robust Genetics is more hilarious than I gave it credit for.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Post the text log!
In album format:
http://imgur.com/a/EHtzU

I had to drop stuff in the middle of it because my pain was over 100 and it was encumbering my strength like woah. I'll also note that that was a gallon jug of mutagen and I still never got Robust Genetics. I guess it is not really that big of a deal since medical mutagen is pretty simple to make (just raid a hospital), but as funny as it was to watch poor Sanjana Moran flop around like a fish while guzzling terrible liquids that should not be I think I'm just gonna take it at chargen from now on.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 25, 2015

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i don't butcher zombie swarms either i just lure them out with a big noise and then run them over with a road roller with spikes glued on the front

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

edit: poo poo, I think my unstable genome mutated away my robust genetics while I wasn't looking. Now I'm radioactive.
that can't be good

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I once killed a horde of zombies chasing me by opening and closing some pharmacy shutters repeatedly

Good loving times

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

hydraulic muscles are basically the best thing ever and anyone who says otherwise just isn't having enough fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

This thing has a stable speed of over 250 kilometres per hour. If I really crank it to the limit, I can go over 500 before the engine starts to poo poo the bed. It's an expanded bicycle with a loud as gently caress unmuffled V8 engine bodged in and its wheels replaced with tires stolen from a cop car. 90% of it is held together with duct tape.

gently caress spiked rams, dual V12s, and homemade War Rigs - this is quite possibly the most Mad Max thing I have ever built in this game.

My current favored vehicle design is to refit a motorcycle with roller drums, the biggest engine I can find, spikes, and a water tank. Call it a day and roll out.

When it gets closer to winter I tend to add quarterpanels to turn it into a TRON bike and to get the indoor bonus. Throwing down a down blanket or two on the driver seat also helps. Also eventually I tack on some solar panels and a couple batteries to support a recharging station. But at its soul it is still a little murderbike and I love it. :3: