Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
What is so bad about the cruise ship start, out of curiosity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah, the prison start is the one I never truly solved. The loving bots on the egress are an intractable problem. The concrete walls are not bashable, even with a homewrecker, so you have no place to go but straight out, which is instant death.

The best solution I came up with was to set the prison top level on fire and then try to hang out for it to incinerate the whole place, but the blazing fire will cook you alive, and if you go down back to your cell to basically wait it out the fire leaves your reality bubble and won't burn the prison down.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

is swimming actually relevant in the newer builds or is that mostly to flex on the game

e: to be clear, flexing on the game is hilarious and should be encouraged, i just want to clarify

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

VBD was a lot better when first aid kits could cure infections. nowadays they should really just change it so you're addicted to cocaine or something.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

There's not really a lot of places difficult enough to be considered endgame. Camps maybe?

There’s a number of places that could be fleshed out to be such. Fungal forests, sci lab portals, and FEMA shelters come immediately to mind. FEMA shelters in particular could provide an angle to a retirement option on your game, where if you clean it out, restore power and water, and bring in at least a dozen NPCs you can simply retire the character as a winner, complete with a montage of where are they now clips based upon your achievements.

This is all random example crap of course but when you consider that so much effort has been put in to the perfect muzzle velocity of a pistol and the impact force of an individual bullet it starts to look rather odd that no effort whatsoever has been put forward on expanding ideas like that.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the nutrition system, inventory overhaul, etc were all large scale code changes and do not have the excuse of being a tinkering change like that. there's really no good reason why end game or game expansion initiatives have been so thoroughly abandoned other than lack of will.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

basements all around are extremely useful for a lot of things, not the least of which is just being completely safe as long as nothing saw you go down the stairs. a basement was always my preferred place to either sleep off sicknesses or get lots of reading done back when i was playing regularly just because i knew for a drat fact that nothing was going to bother me down there.

it's probably for the best that they are now actually kind of dangerous because before they were basically free money and inviolate fortresses besides.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i have literally never thought that making a boat sounds like a good idea and until the game starts making actual coastlines i don't think i'm going to change my mind about that

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dire Lemming posted:

A sawn-off .50 sniper rifle with pistol grip has become an invaluable part of my endgame kit. So dumb yet so effective.

i am giggling like an idiot picturing this in my head

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

plan out your functions first, then plan out your structure surrounding it. taking a finished design is going about it the wrong way. a couple of questions for you:

1) what sort of external visibility profile do you need from your HQ? is full opaqueness required or is it ok to have a windshield?
2) how much life support do you need on the base? is a week enough, or do you require a season or more? how many people are being supported?
3) what sort of crafting requirements do you have? how many disciplines do you want to support, and how many tools do you need for those disciplines?
4) is it OK to use fossil fuel, or do you need full electric? what sort of uptime do you need?
5) do you have bionics that you expect your base to help power? or will you?
6) what are your sleeping requirements? is a comfortable place to sleep enough, or does your character require a comfortable place to sleep plus full darkness?

you will likely need a lot less space overall than you think, but it all depends on the answers to some of these questions.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

there technically is canon, it's basically half-life 1 but what if black mesa got out. all the most horrifying poo poo you see is either directly from another dimension or was manipulated into happening by extradimensional entities. the fungal invasion, for example, didn't directly come through the dimensional portals, but ~something~ (it's implied to be the the mi-go in exactly one of the outrageously obscure note files you can find) called out to the fungal towers and brought them down from god knows where.

the zombie virus is an indirect result because that was a terran thing, but it only escaped containment because everything else did too.

allegedly at one point there was a plan to make an end game out of walking the rifts and finding solutions to some of the myriad horrors plaguing earth, but that naturally is considered less important than more accurately measuring the muzzle velocity of a specific gun and nerfing car building again.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Huh, is that really okay to do with a product made from open source licensed code? Like, it must be, legally, but morally it seems kinda hosed that all these modders now have their mainlined work being sold.

DDA itself is under a particular creative commons license that doesn't necessarily permit commercial use actually so someone might be in for a ride

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

It's actually under this CC license, which does allow for commercial use. Not sure if any of the proprietary libraries it uses would go against that, though.

yea i checked that before i went down to the bottom and what you really want to see is something that explicitly allows for commercial use like the MIT license or whatever have you. that one explicitly says "you have to check out moral rights" and moral rights is a big word for copyright. copyright is explicitly set up to protect commercial exploitation, which the license does not guarantee.

if i were to publish a game on steam (i am actively publishing a game on steam) that would've been enough to scare me off of taking the name wholesale because there's probably dozens of people who could claim some kind of moral right that is being fractured. steam makes it very clear when you sign up that it's your responsibility to make sure you fully own everything and if you don't they will FIND a way to take it out of your hide.

i'm sure there's some crap you can do, like basically make a custom build with visible but easy to maintain changes, and recast it under a similar but less ambiguous license. call it "darker days ahead" or some crap. basically follow the bright nights blueprint only be a lot more scummy about it. but nah apparently someone's gonna roll the bones on just publishing a popular open-source game and hoping to make a quick buck on it.

Sinatrapod posted:

From what I can see from the post involving several devs on the subreddit, this seems to be on the up-and-up. From the several central movers who were discussing it, it sounds like they tossed the idea around and nobody else could be arsed to manage the steam side of the endeavor and they feel like splitting it evenly would amount in everyone involved getting basically nothing at all, so they'd the money went to one of the folks intimately tied to the community in exchange for bein the Steam Rep of the game than either nobody doing it or possibly deal with some rando putting it on the platform.
boy i sure hope they got all this in writing

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Arven posted:

Workers & Resources was just DMCA'd off steam for a month because they implemented a game mode that resembled one that a community member (who also happened to be a litigious law student) helped popularize.

Wouldn't anyone who contributes to the open source version of the game have a similar (better, even) standing here?

not necessarily but the fact that the question exists at all should be very disturbing to anyone looking at doing things

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Truth Quark posted:

Sure but I think thats a bit out of reach for the moment, I killed one zomborg and got a couple CBMs but I'm not sure I have enough stuff to pay some hack to install them and steal my kidneys.

the punch line to dandy's post is that any tool you see that has a quality you do not currently have is worth keeping. screw turning, fine metal cutting, hammering, nail prying, wtfever. even if you cannot carry it with you, you should move those tools to some place that you know you can find them later.

otherwise you'll get into some kind of craft or project that requires soft hammering and plain hammering won't be sufficient and you'll be like "oh crap did i overlook something at that one nondescript store somewhere on the south side of the city" and you'll spend a thousand years rechecking everything before finally concluding that no, you never had a soft hammering tool in the first place.

if you instead say "huh, rock drilling, not sure i'll need that but i haven't seen it before so into the safehouse it goes" you have exactly one place to check to see if you have rock drilling later.

the way that cyborg comes into the picture is that there's a fistful of CBMs that will put tools into your body and severely limit this annoyance.

by mid game this place will be "the trunk of that one car i managed to find/fix" and this'll be an easier practice to keep up than you think.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 20, 2023

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

if you're on windows you can use git extensions and that is a GUI that simplifies the usage a lot

i've got my artist and my musician both using it on the game i'm creating and it was a chore to get them through the setup process, but after they were there it was super easy to get them acquainted. like 30 minutes of setup and 2-3 "how do i-" questions a few days later and they were off to the races.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

alternatively it's like that one episode of venture brothers where you try to launch it but it falls over and it turns out someone's been using it as a toilet and packing their waste in there for 40 years so instead of going off and destroying something it just tips over and leaves Actual Human Doo over an entire square next to the launchpad

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Griz posted:

one of the experimentals this week added faction tags to the exodii storeroom so now that's considered stealing

found this today in an open field and ???

Looks like someone practicing with a plinker pistol and failing to police their brass. I knew a few dorks like that back when I shot a bit, they’re like the dog owners that never pick up their pet’s poo poo. They will take the target but leave the brass forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

But they're unspent!

ok yes i misread this big laffo