Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

zombie dogs and skeleton dogs need to gently caress off forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

They're weak but they're hard to hit if you're a newbie boobie with no skills at all, worse still if you cannot avoid coming into contact with them.

It was my dumb fault, I picked the firefighter start for a change of pace, ran around like a maniac picking up an axe and some clothes and killing all the zombies in my fire station, collecting supplies ect, than first thing I did after stepping outside was get mobbed by three dogs who chewed me to pieces slowly through my sturdy clothes and just would not sit still long enough to get brained with a fireaxe.

Shame you can't get a fire truck, that'd be neat. Plus a water hose that let you shoot whatever liquid might be real handy.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 31, 2015

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Question, everyone talking seems to say stuff like 'Grab all the poo poo you can carry!' but the thing is I don't have many and by many I mean any way of carrying a ton of stuff.

whats the best early way to stock up on stuff? Can I like, cart one of the survival shelter lockers with me when I raid a town?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Should I be starting with dynamic or static?

I tried with static but it means that anywhere I wanna be is full to the brim with loving nasty zomboos.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

esquilax posted:

You can smash a window to turn the curtains into a "makeshift sling" via the crafting system. This gives you a bunch of storage space, but it really encumbers you so don't try to fight any zombies while wearing them.

As you're raiding houses you might find a backpack or similar. As you start to learn the crafting system and get your skills up, you'll be able to craft things like pouches and backpacks yourself.

Then, you can look on your map for a grocery or hardware store and grab a shopping cart or wheelbarrow.

this right here is some godsend info.

The majority of my deaths are caused by running out of time carrying like one burger and a soda back from town while I'm hunting for backpacks and other loot and dodging insane zombie bastards.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Another dumb thing I was doing was not using my map to find poo poo and just sort of manually scouting out places like a big dumb dumby,

to be fair I didn't even realize I had a map till recently.

I know gathering some rocks up is a good way to get some range power (and therefore a massive advantage over zombies) but is there a step between proper firearms and throwing rocks?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

You guys have been an awesome help.

Some spawns just aren't created equal however :negative:

I mean poo poo just does not bode well when the first words you read after opening the curtains are 'You are being laser targeted!'

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 29, 2015

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I can't seem to make a wooden needle either. Weird.

Oh, ok, after making a ton of pointy sticks it turns out you just need to git gud at fabrication for that.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 29, 2015

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

chiefnewo posted:

I can imagine the thought process of that: "Hmmm, I've made a lot of pointy sticks. What if I made a really small one?"

Than after that I learned to build a knife spear by butchering random dead animals I found and searching through the undergrowth for trash. Just looking at my poking stick and my butchering knife and whoa!

How do I collect water from a river with my plastic bottle? Found it, just gotta examine that poo poo and I get the option, you'd think standing in the water and being like 'pick up' would work but nah

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 29, 2015

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

nftyw posted:

I've seen high end CBM caches, cvd machines, lasers and other energy guns, nuke stockpiles, I think there's one with powerful plasma engines and efficient but fragile solar-panels. Oh yeah also those otherworldly creature prison arrays that don't work because flaming eyes.

Stockpiling water is a huge pain in the rear end because you need so much of it, I usually take a large container like a jerrycan and toss it under a funnel and pour water from it into a waterskin or gallon jug/3L jar. Rainwater is usually clean but if it does wind up making me sick, I either boil it if I absolutely need water now or just dump the contents out and try again.

at the time I didn't have much options, it was the choice between 'die of thirst' or 'get one bottle of clean water by dragging this singular bottle of river water home and boiling it in a frying pan.'

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Trip report, had perfect ideal spawn, survive five days looting from the city and luring zombies away.

instantly slain by moose after five days despite all this after it charged out of loving no where and killed me before I could react as I was running home

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

my second much better run I found a pair of gallon jugs and a ton of plastic bottles so I'd just fill the jugs with dirty water and boil that poo poo off as required, worked pretty well for my hobo fort.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

something this game needs is the ability for polearm weapons to reach over two tiles and stab through grilles and such.

I mean I dunno why I'd bother with a heavy rear end spear when a tanto can cut a bitch more efficiently. But if for instance there was some way for me to poke at zombies as they crawl through a window or stab them down as they're bunched up at a chainlink fence or w/e that'd be cool and good, even with the whole 'spear gets stuck' thing.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I'd say make it so activating the pole arm causes you to 'jab' it, you than select a direction on the numpad and it applies your basic melee to that direction, stopping if you happen to hit a baddy or object on the tile between your maximum reach

Also I think a great end-game enemy would be a moose-centaur that shoots you with poison arrows as it tramples you down in two steps

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

You mean the Jabberwock?

Nah man, moose are the devil incarnate.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

So to chop trees what's the most viable tool?

Preferably something I could make while cavemanning it out in the middle of loving nowhere.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

my next question is is there some way to modify the day night cycle or like, timescale? These loving days feel like seconds to me.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

doesn't help I started as a mutant with octopus limbs so everything I do is slow as gently caress, still, that explains why the nights are exponentially longer than the days.

Is there a means of waiting for extended periods without actually sleeping?

I mean I got all the food and water I want but I can't move during the night without freezing my tentacles off and getting pissy because of it

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 1, 2015

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

So I just discovered deconstructing beds gives you a literal hundred rags.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I like that shopping carts count as vehicles, Could I mount a 50 cal to one and drag it around like a little gun emplacement?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I find myself struck with the sudden urge to find a ton of .50 cal ammo

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

okay well since I've been asking a ton of questions recently and mostly hogging the thread I guess I'll ask one more because gently caress why not??

Guns, Where do I get ammo presses, gunpowder, ect. Like whats the most convenient way to progress from caveman teir to guns? So far I've been using an AK and keeping all my spent brass but I dunno how / where I'd get anything to reload it with.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Absolute most convenient is finding the basement of a gun nut. Failing that you'll have to try gun stores I think or libraries to learn how to make it yourself.

I found my AK in a LMAO shelter along with a few other guns I didn't bother with (Flintlocks ect), so would a gun-nuts basement have a reloading bench or something I could steal? Do I need a book to learn how to do it? Is there a best way to get the supplies (come to think of it I should have dismantled the ammo for the other guns and worked my way up from there.)

From what I'm seeing here the only good way of making bullets is by dismantling other bullets... dammit.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 2, 2015

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Is there a way to keep fires burning a long time?

I can barely keep a fire going long enough to warm myself up let alone read a book through the night.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Questions again: Armor, where's a motherfucker supposed to get it, is it worth the effort for a ranged character, is there an easy minimum required to avoid getting bit by zombies without sacrificing kickassability.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

alright, so leather it is than,

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

With the latest version you can use a tailoring kit to upgrade any clothes by sewing fur, leather, and kevlar patches into it.

So you can make your leather trenchcoat menace with spikes of leather to make it more better, if you want to.

I'll probably end up doing that, shame you can't make it menace with spikes of spikes though, hardly seems apocalyptic if I can't do that...

Also: Brazier, while it may stop you burning down the house it is still a retarded idea to light one in your evac shelter :V

Not that I'd ever do anything retarded...

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 3, 2015

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

ok so what the gently caress are shadowsnakes and why is my shelter constantly spawning them on me?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I haven't found anything too weird in my travels, although I have a hunch the pile of forever sparking debris behind my house might have something to do with it.

Ok yep its definitely the smoking pile of ever sparking wreckage.

Man this stuff is spooky, I'm being pelted with rocks and snakes are spawning all the time as I dig it up

Trip report:Found a set of 'fractal beads' that when activated create a loving shitload of blood, emit a disturbing scream and cause my body to decay! So all in all 10/10 worth being pelted with rocks in a lightning storm while digging that poo poo up

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 3, 2015

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

That's loving badass. What do they do to nearby zombies?

Generally? Cause them all to descend on me from miles around since the scream is loving loud and lowers my morale.

I mean if I had a lawnmower and some fuel it'd be awesome...

Is it possible to create a car from scratch?

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 3, 2015

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

So playing as a mutant I've gotten pretty adept at surviving in the woods wearing nothing but a bra and panties (female characters start with more clothes therefore more rags to make crap out of, that's how on the margins I roll)

Scavenge ALL THE UNDERGROWTH you can get your tentacles on. Seriously, you're looking for a withered plant, plastic bottles and tin cans. You want the plant to make a rock knife and the tin-can can be used to cook the eggs you find and boil water with just a fire... Fire making will be a pain in the rear end but generally by the time you've found / made all this poo poo you can find a road with a car or something with a lighter in it. Once you got a knife go around indiscriminately sharpening sticks you find for valuable fabrication skill + if you have too run away from something nasty there's always sticks lying around to throw as well as rocks (throwing regular sticks isn't great but sharpened sticks are almost ok)

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

If you're going to play in the woods I would recommend the extra survival tools mod, lets you make things like firedrills and ember carriers.

That's default stuff in my build... I can make fire drills and junk already.

Although you need fairly good survival skills and a ton of string which can be a pain in the rear end when you're innawoods.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

There's basically no reason but bragging rights to install the gigantic engines. They mostly just allow you to go far faster than you should ever want to go, unless you really like smashing into minefields and other vehicles.

Also, they consume fuel faster.

Actually you might want it to drag motherfucking shittons of weight at a decent speed as well... if you're into that sort of thing.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

What I really want is the ability to power houses.

By default every house should have wires and those wires should lead to the streets which should eventually lead back to like, power substations.

Naturally the power is down across the board but if you dig up the wires and rerout them you should be able to power houses by using stuff like specially designed cars or generators (vehicle frames with small engines, alternators and internal batteries attached to w/e part lets you plug poo poo in via wire)

This would be fun and good since having an established shelter is cool and all but its like 'well I've got a doomsday car factory, a generator for charging car batteries, why can't I like, wire up some lightbulbs instead of sitting in a corner on a pile of plutonium nightlights in order to craft / read of a night?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

drat how long does Influenza last? Just trying to sleep it off and it just won't go away. Guess I'm gonna have to find some royal jelly or something.

this is why you should eat every vitamin pill you find all at once.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

that's exactly what I'm saying is that yes you can generate your own energy so why theoretically wouldn't you like, axe open the fuse box and plug in your generator for lights at night? Its not like zombies went around stripping the copper wires out of every house.

See things seem skewed in favor of mobile bases, there's a billion more options with any vehicle than there is with a set down base and there's not much incentive to set down roots since you can't light anything up without a car around.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I like static in that it keeps the zombies in logical places but yeah once you clear it up it stays clear which is just not how its supposed to be, If I were going to make the system I'd have the 'zombie hordes' arrive at the sides of the 'map' or at least from somewhere where the player isn't and than use their already okay abilities of pathfinding to have them follow a slow moving 'migration' marker, similar to how they follow sounds or scents though lesser priority than both of those... Basically the marker moves around and the zombies follow it for as long as they can / till they get distracted... if it happens to go through where you are you're looking at a zombie horde

The markers could also be drawn to lights, sound ect so eventually large operations draw in tons of zombies...

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 4, 2015

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Nyeh I like the idea of having horrors /existing/ but I'm not keen on having them becoming a mainstay constant thing, if the game was tossing mi-go's at you every four seconds it would make them stale pretty quickly. But if maybe once or twice your character was woken up by a little girl's screams coming from your dining room area thanks to a Mi-go breaking in that'd be cool.

Zombies just work as the major enemy because they /are/ played out, it makes it more terrifying when you're forced to adapt to the other more scary stuff while still providing a nice baseline challenge, when you go to a city you know you're gonna have a ton of special zombies and its going to be moderately tough, you know when you walk around on roads there will be regular zombies and they're weak. But once you find something new it should be like, new...

That said nobody said the migrations had to be exclusively zombies... ant nests and beehives and stuff could be interesting as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Blackray Jack posted:

Thanks for being patient with me. How would I do that though?

EDIT: Wait no. It's already a folding shopping cart basket.

EDIT: I tried throwing on some 5 inch casters and nothing. Examining doesn't go anything nor does trying to simply pick it up.

where do I get the tileset you're using in this pic?