Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've been playing around with the game for a few days and it's quite enjoyable, I just haven't managed to survive very long yet. The guides on the wiki are a bit sparse and seem to be mostly about character builds, what are things I should look for and what are good safe house locations? I can never secure a small house on the edge of town because of too many zombies, and breaking down furniture makes noise. Should I just try to build a cabin in the woods? Can I do farming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'd like this game a lot more if the interface wasn't so arcane. It does have some good things in the crafting system (you don't have to carry tools, they can just be in sight range) but I can't help but feel I'd be much happier with a post-apocalyptic version of Unreal World.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Did the game get some kind of crazy update recently? I could totally get behind making a hippie survivalist post-apocalypse bike messenger character.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Where would I pick up the experimental builds, and are you at all worth it for a new player? I still haven't survived for more than 2 days.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

drat, I downloaded the latest experimental (3100) but had to revert because it can't find a hippie van and goes into an error loop.

Really enjoying it though, I've learned how to survive my first few days and collect lots of junk in shopping carts. Fighting is doable with the cudgel and some basic leather armor but a lot of the time getting food long term is a bother.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What's the draw for dynamic spawns? I've played mostly with static and when I tried out dynamic I had a horde spawn next to my shelter and got murdered. Is it for nomadic lifestyles?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So the LP got me to pick this up again. I grabbed the latest experimental and failed a bunch of times re-learning all the controls and thanks to the shopping cart I've finally managed to survive past 2 says and not starve to death.

The latest build is way different from when I last played though. Can someone recommend me a good world generation setup? My current game I have the defaults with static and dynamic NPCs. Should I increase town size and which of the mods are decent? I turned on arcana, survivalist tools and a few others but they all seem very poorly documented so I'm not sure what I get with them.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Knife spear start is pretty good. The trouble is finding a shopping cart so I can start piling up some gear and get situated but upping city size to 6 definitely helped out. The knife spear has made combat kind of ridiculously easy though so I think I'll try to use it sparingly when I learn the ropes better.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Firos posted:

Does anyone have a direct link to the most recent let's play on SA for this game?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3721693

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My current character is doing pretty well. I've holed up in a double garage by a gas station and stockpiled a bunch of tools and materials I've scavenged from nearby with a shopping cart and boarded up all the windows. I want to try my hand at getting a vehicle or maybe just building a bike but my mechanics is pretty low and I have to eat all my food raw since I haven't found any head pads, nor have I found a hacksaw to start cutting up cars.

I'm a bit at a loss where to go from here. I could try and go on a long expedition but that seems risky when I have a large city right here with a bunch of houses. Is there a skill I should train so I can craft my own heat pad or mess kit?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I just grabbed today's latest. My prior copy's from a couple-few months ago. Can I wash filthy clothes to get the (I assume) mood penalty removed, and if so, how?

You need soap, a washboard and a source of infinite water (a lake or river).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My best run so far was ruined by a random mi-go on my way to a mansion :argh:

What are good hobo armor options? I had survival, tailoeing and fabrication at 3 or 4 but I didn't have any crafting options. Should I be reinforcing with plastics and stuff instead?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So what about weapon progression? Right now I rely on the almighty knife spear to the point where I spawn with 1 survival just so I can craft one in my shelter. I try to keep a shotgun around for big stuff but what should I be looking at for my first melee upgrade?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

On that note, what is considered dump statting? My base start is 11, strength, 10 dexterity, 11 intelligence and I leave perception at 8. So far I haven't progressed far enough to use ranged weapons enough that I can tell how the perception affects me.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

That seems like cheating a little bit. If I want better stats I'll get some mutagens.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Had a weird bug on my save. I went near a refugee center that had NPC's standing guard outside as well as a broker who would buy stuff off me. The game freaked out a little when I went near it with errors that I choose to ignore but after I stole a hippie truck and brought it back to my base the game will spam random errors and statistics in my message log every time I take a step.

I suspect it's the more locations mod doing that which is a shame because it means I have to abandon that save.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Oh yeah I died as I was engulfed in flame lol

Now do it again, but use a jerry can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

But it might make you glow.