Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i jumped from a bus at 133mph and was impressed how i crashed though two walls and a bunch of shelves.

706 pain and instant death.

Is it wrong that I would like to build the fastest car possible just to see how far I would go if I jumped out? My goal is through 2 houses if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

I normally place a funnel and giant drum right outside the kitchen window, that way I have a poo poo ton of water ready for crafting whenever and I don't have to leave the house or deal with transferring it using inventory management.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Bilal posted:

On my most successful character so far now. Almost one year in, good weapons, good armor, a massive stash of crafting materials at the base, been reading tons of skill books and can craft almost anything, good stats with lots of CBMs, and the coolest thing I've made in the game so far- 850 power storage, plus metabolic interchange, hooked up to the UPS CBM that lets you power UPS devices off your internal power, plus a UPS converter that lets any regular device use UPS, and I have...... an infinitely charged MP3 player. Infinite focus and morale for as long as I eat food.

My question, though, is that I need an infinite source of rocks. I'm using a pneumatic assault rifle, and just clearing out a street takes 200-300 pebbles. I'm hoovering up rocks as fast as I can shoot. I have fears that in a few ingame months, I will have depleted every rock surrounding my base. Where can I go for rocks? Is it possible to mine underground for them?

Forge bearings, you make them in bulk and they take scrap metal which is easy as gently caress to get a lot off and they do more damage.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Sorry, pocket post.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jul 18, 2015

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

So I bashed a bed to pieces for rags and found a set of stairs under it that had a basement full o guns and an arc cannon. Is that an new hidden room type or just lovely/awesome stair placement leading to a gun nut basement?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Artificer posted:

Man, if the oceans are ALSO hosed....

How long before we get horrifying zombie whales climbing ashore to murder people DF style?

Just have all the fish n poo poo grow spider legs that run on corpse gas like that one manga.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

what was the last experimental that had refill working also would you guys like a new guide or is someone working on I was thinking of maintaining a G Did that good could comment / add too

Are we sure refill is not working? I picked up ab experimental maybe 4 days ago and it works just fine.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Finding a perfect condition light tank in my starting town has been the best thing ever. I need to find something to test the 120mm cannon on.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

PiCroft posted:

Well gently caress, just discovered a new awful mechanic; "lifting" in order to take vehicles apart or move bits around. Now I need a crane to disassemble a car.

Thanks C:DDA devs!

Or you know you can just find a jack thats pretty much found in like every third car or pretty much always in a garage.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

There should be a hydraulic jack item type lying around. I will note that i am not on the latest experimental but I have been using it to dismantle tanks and such.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

PiCroft posted:

I'm wrong about the carhorn etc - it can also be met with 'strength 1' which I guess any character can meet. Maybe the strength requirement shoots up to something much higher for the larger vehicles?

From what i recall strength can be substituted for a jack so if you are strong enough if you can lift up a car and remove poo poo with your hands and the necessary tool.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

PiCroft posted:

I see. I missed the 'strength 1' requirement when looking at it the first time; that's not so bad.

Still, I'm annoyed that I now apparently need a crane to pull apart larger vehicles.

I just tested it and apparently i was totally wrong about how effective jacks are. Still i was able to pull apart everything from a military humvee except for the wheels so besides that you should be fine?

Edit: If you pull everything but the wheels off it should be light enough to use a jack and pull them off.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

The houses with giant wasps are literally just wasp nests, just like the spider nests. Rhe architecture sounds like a bug though some houses have different wall types.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

There are pizza places and there are abandoned pizzerias (I think thats what they are called). One has a poo poo ton of flour, aprons and other pizza things and the other has OP robots that you cant even disassemble.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I think you can also hit shift D though I have not played in months

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

If there are mattresses you can bash them for rags

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Can you not get some scrap metal and hammer it into a spike then use that plus rags for a makeshift knife?

You mention lockers, you totally should be able to if you bash them apart and use the chunks to hammer another chunk into a spike and then use a rag to make a knife.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I found that getting the nightvision perk and then throwing something at the sec bot makes it come towards you, since they do not have night vision you should be able to run around and then past it since I think they can only see you if you are next to them. I found one of those visitor rooms past it with reinforced glass dividing it, but there was windows on the other side so it let light in. Its totally doable though I didn't bother getting the stuff needed to make the home wrecker to break out, it was just a test run.

Edit:Second try, succesful prison break, making the strings will take forever to dissemble the rags and reassemble the strings so I instead made a bunch of makeshift lock picks and just picked the doors and walked out.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 6, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

There are no other light sources besides the visitation window, I brought everything I needed to the window and made a knife there, this involved dodging the sec bot which I accomplished by throwing splintered wood at it from as far away as possible and then moving out its way and then past it. Collecting the material to do this in the dark should be easy to do even without the night vision trait since all you need is to bash a bed and a few lockers to get the material,splintered wood can be gotten without a knife by just bashing a chair or two with your hands or a two by four. I could have spent the three in game hours dissembling the rags to make threads to make the homewrecker and bash my way out but that seemed tedious and not really fun so I brought the metal scraps to the window instead and made a bunch of lock picks. There was no Sec bot outside when I escaped so maybe I either got lucky or it was somewhere else, they have garbage night vision though so you could just wait in the visitation room till its night and just walk out past it.

If there is a part you are struggling with or have a question about ask and Ill tell you how I did it, I think the main issue is not actually light since you have a guaranteed source of it a the window but controlling where the sec bot is so you can walk past it, the respond to noise so you have to be careful when you bash down the door since thats what draws them towards that spot. I will run a couple more worlds to make sure my prison layout wasnt just lucky.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 6, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Comedy option: Let a brute punt you through a wall/bars to freedom.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

They can punt you through concrete though, I must have been lucky because I only took a bar of damage to each part. I imagine they can punt you through the prison bars.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 8, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Coolguye posted:

i've been slammed into about 100 concrete walls during my time playing with this start and i have never been punted through one of them. are you using the stable? that might explain the dissonance here, i'm using the experimental.

i'm 99% sure that z-levels do not interact with each other in this way, the z-level code is pretty limited right now and has been for years.

Latest experimental, he punted me through the wall in the guard barracks into that center room with a terminal. Went through the NW corner. It was great because I picked up a tonfa that was in there and beat it to death.

For brute kiting you are better off kiting them to break walls or bars if its possible. Smg bots will gently caress anything up in a burst or two.

My first prison run that went well is now over because a grenade dropped from a zombie onto a defense fire I set and cooked off, shredding my torso. It sucked because the prison spawned next to a farm and close by too an IFV and an Atomic Mini Tank which I smashed together to make my mobile base.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 8, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

It might have been over kill but launching a vehicle mounted ATGM at a Chicken Walker is really satisfying.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Anybody know how to handle a Player data write error?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Sawed off shotgun or smg in a holster or fast draw holster, preferably with flechette rounds. Enjoy your "Enough of this poo poo" button.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Fayk posted:

Sorry I can fabricate and perform surgery onmyself to install or remove cybernetics but can't manufacture shotgun shells from scratch/raw materials.

Collect the shells you spend and make reloaded ammo. Or better yet just put a brass catcher on your gun and skip the tedious collecting step.

I get it, its weird you cant use a plastic mold to make empty shell casings, but lack of empty shells should not be an issue.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

If I remember correctly it was murdering everything unsheltered in the game so they removed it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

There is also some sort of near future flechette pistol that has semi-auto, burst (2), and full auto. Its pretty great.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Is that the one that has a 20-round capacity or something absurd like that? It might as well be an SMG itself.

Better, it has a 50 round capacity.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

If you tell me you ate raw meat on purpose in a post apocalyptic survival game revolving around interdimensional parasites and you were surprised and angry when this had repercussions Im basically going to ignore any and all of your complaints about realism. Fire and cooking sources are trivially easy to find or make and the parasites arnt really crippling, unlike the broken limb system.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 22, 2018

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Vengarr posted:

You can say that about a lot of things. Why are base-building mechanics in the game when wandering hordes simply aren't a thing? It doesn't really matter whether you're living in Megafortress One or a random hut, as long as you don't intentionally provoke enemies you'll never be attacked.

Arnt hordes an option though?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Cant you just also go off the map edge which generates a new town?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I just did so the other day but my versions a few days old?

Rip cannibal SWAT man, the game crashing made you not worth the frustration to get that MBT back up and running again.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Yeah its done through a pan or pot not the hotplate or item itself

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

The viking start is amazingly easy holy poo poo. Just go around smacking things for 35-50 dmg a pop with your battle axe and shield. Comes with a backpack too.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Ive started doing rando starts because otherwise it gets too formulaic and easy. Viking start was one ofe those and its fun but not challenging

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

So I forget, are mods easy to install and make in this or do you have to make a whole new exe for them or whatever.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

So how easy would the bird thing be to make as a mod?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

You just need a match or lighter and a pan but yes its super tedious until you get a vehicle with solar panels and a hotplate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

World Famous W posted:

On a lab start, how do you deal with having only one set of stairs leading up right next to a turret? I got the emp grenades, but by the time I armed and threw I was dead. Do you wield and arm before going up stairs then toss immediately?

Also is there any way to cancel picking up something heavy because I burnt to death in a house trying to grab a zombie (it was a scientist and I wanted it to disect)?

The last two times I have encountered the entrance turrent I have had 3-4 squares of darkness that the turrent did not see. So maybe luck of the draw? I ended up making a crossbow, and plinking at it till it died.

Also maybe hit "." That ends stuff sometimes.