Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Dandywalken posted:

Are turrets tied to the zombie evolution scaling too? I have yet to see anything above small turrets that drop 9mm in Bright Nights

Tied to spawn location I think. I believe how it works is that certain locations like shops or labs or whatever can spawn 9mm but military installations will have 5.56, 308 or .50 cal.

Buildings and finales and poo poo have a list of what can spawn in them.

I run BN and have been running into 9mm occasionally.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Dire Lemming posted:

A sawn-off .50 sniper rifle with pistol grip has become an invaluable part of my endgame kit. So dumb yet so effective.

Oh my god why have I never done this.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

A sawn off Saiga used to be the top tier hold out weapon of choice.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Yeah not really a fan myself. I mean the number of enemies is kinda fun if you got an m249 and a few belts to burn but the chem themed loot is mostly useless and boring. You can score a few CBMs or other choice items but it's not really worth compared to the effort&risk of clearing the place

Also, TIL that you can use the vibrator to quickly recover mood&focus during long reading sessions. How did I not learn this sooner wth

Mp3 players are generally better because they provide the mood boost and resultant focus boost throughout/while you are doing an activity so you don't have to stop.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

megane posted:

Alternately, a harmonica; that doesn't even need batteries.

Very true but batteries are one of those "limited" resources which are actually so ever present and available that you can go like 3 in game days and have more light batteries then you will ever need. Toss a solar panel, a box and a recharging station on a bike frame or shopping cart and you just need to grab a bulk load of batteries whenever you need them.

But yes a harmonica with a holder (I imagine this lets you play constantly, never tried it though) would work more efficiently, though you would be producing noise as you read which could be bad.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

How is Dark Skies Above, anyway? It looked like a huge change but I wasn't sure how fleshed out it was.

I just double checked the github and the mod files because I was thinking I hadn't seen the stuff yet but there are no recipes for any of the materials you get. So basically the only thing in the game are the new monsters and some new items, thats about it.

Theres maybe 10 new "useful" items but they are meh because they are really only there for you to break down and make human adapated alien tech with, which you cant yet.

I dunno just seems odd to me that you spend a bunch of time making new branded canned food items and flyers advertising it but literally do not add a single reverse engineered item in the game mod you are basing off of xcom.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 14, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen one. I’ve gotten ammo and magazines a few times (and then carried them around the rest of the game JUST IN CASE).

E: My best find was some sort of combat mech that you could load into a livestock hauler. Fun fact, sorta spoilery: I thought my run was over because it shows up as a monster and I had just broken into a military bunker.

The actual best mech is the fork lift one because you can use it to clear wrecks and cars off road and just haul it around with you in the live stock carrier until needed.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

I actually found 20 rounds for the G80 after clearing the third armory in the lab :kiddo:

No UPS and no autoclave though

Since mechs were brought up, you hack them with the control laptop, right? I've never done it but there is an active x-02 in the finale room of my lab

Think you just need to walk up to one and swipe it with the proper ID card, think its military.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Think you can eventually make rebar into ammo for it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Not sure about that one since it uses H&K 12mm which can't be crafted as far as I can tell. There is a railgun CBM that you might be thinking about?

The good old RL habit of winning/dying with an inventory full of strong stuff that you never wanted to waste :v:

But yeah it makes sense for the G80 tbh. Totally hoarding my rounds until I find a military instalation I want to raid

Anyway my next lab turned out to be one of the new and cramped ones. Burned almost two belts of 5.56 just to pacify the entrance after coming down the elevator. And of course it already has kevlar hulks in early summer. Going ham with the m249 was fun but I'm not sure if I want to deal with everything else running around down there. Might just dissect all the scientists and then ignore the place.

Ah might be railgun cbm which you can later use to craft a railgun.

If you can swing it you can get a bunch of things on the elevator with you and bring them up to the surface where a laser turret can deal with em. Bit tedious though.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

Not really. There challenge scenarios, of course, but other than those you kind of need to make your own goals. Stuff like surviving until year 10, make a camp with 10 NPC recruits and wander spawns on, clear a mi-go encampment, clear a central lab as a caveman, clear an evacuation shelter as a bad guy, etc.

Bright Nights does in fact have a win condition though.

I think theres also a specific artifact type that closes portals so you could make it your goal to get that and close say 10 portals.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Can you find anything besides scrap when you dig through wreckage on chopper crash sites?

Yes, but it is entirely random and a result of a dead body or chopper parts being placed on the same tiles as the scrap. The scrap then acts as a "cover" for it. Similar stuff happens when a zed dies on a pile.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Ranged weapons are a special case. You spend time 'aiming' before firing in order to improve your chance of a hit. I can't remember the exact key commands any more but there are several shortcuts for how much to aim before firing. Critically, they are for 'how Stable to get before firing' not 'how many seconds to spend aiming'.
Being attacked in melee reduces your Stability.
So your character was attempting a sisyphean task of carefully drawing a bead on an enemy that was actively fighting them.
Again I can't remember the exact key commands, but if shooting at something in melee range you need to use the command that makes you fire immediately without aiming. Terrible accuracy, but it's the only way to successfully get a shot off.

tl;dr don't use a rifle against someone in melee with you

You can hit "." which is the wait a turn key roughly three times while in melee before most zeds and enemies take a swing at you. This can help you improve your aim while in melee.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Molotovs

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

Any advice on armor? My usual is to beeline for light survivor armor, take stylish and equip every 0 encumbrance bling I can find but I'm not sure if this is optimal.

Playing on Bright Nights fwiw

Just get superheavy survior armor and a rifle and melee weapon of your choice and just cackle as you absolutely demolish everything.

Forget if it's a mod or not but also toss on the insulated environmental undersuit and never worry about shockers again.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Is there a mod that let's you make flying vehicles? I tire of a luxury rv that is a boat, and I require more.

Honestly when the scifi mod gets more fleshed out I hope it has fun shuttles to fly and modify.

BN has flying vehicles and their associated parts and I believe does away with the trait or whatever needed to fly things.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

So today I went into a garage for looting and when I came out I found that a random zombie decided to smash my beloved folding shopping cart to bits which spilled all the loot in it across the street. Luckily I could rebuild it with the loot from the garage but still lol I don't think this has ever happened before. Guess it was in the way the zombie absolutely wanted to take towards me :shrug:

Could have followed your scent trail.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Weremacht posted:

extradimensional cyborgs

this is far more realistic than consumer cybernetics

Canonly all the tech diverged from an extradimensial timetravelers spaceship thing that crashed landed. They got a fuel cell and salvaged it and went off from there.

The canon timelines is a trip.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

I saw a Youtube video from someone who figured out a way to use the zones system to autosort an entire hypermarket full of stuff and it was amazing

Its incredibly easy, if the place is cleared out you can just set a massive unsorted zone and then place whatever loot zones you need and hit auto sort and then go take a piss or something while your guy pulls every item of loot out and dumps it in the respective pile or tosses it into the container of your choice in your vehicle.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Me eventually turning a Hippie Van into a post-apocalypse mini-RV is pretty much an inevitability any time I get into this game, isn't it?

The Groover Mk3.

Same but coring out a MBT and basically making a mobile house.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

PS Bright Nights is good. Very good. Forget the dark days.

There is basically no reason to actually play dark days outside maaaaybe the pocket/container system (which will likely eventually be brought into BN in some form once that jankiness is worked out) or some sort of weird game purity thing.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I hopped back in a few days ago and am using that Utica tileset. Shits good but that tileset has issues with vehicles which should get fixed (some vehicle wall tiles are only in existence for left side walls, so when you use them for the right walls they look off). Will likely continue to play until I get burned out like I do every couple months.

My current Homestead vehicle can go about 7 minutes of driving on a full charge of battery. Which is enough to basically completely reposition my self somewhat nearby. Actually has been pretty fun.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

This game is the first time that I built one up from the ground/starting with the 1 tile frame. Unsure about the exact dimensions but its 5-7 tiles wide and about 8-9 long. Basically a very outsized humvee with a seat, 6-7 hauling spaces and assorted installed production features.

You don't really need to compartmentalize stuff or build separate walls, its extra weight and if its up armored enough (military grade) you have to really gently caress up to get a wall breached and also not be able to gtfo and fix it up.

You can get fancy with laser weapons and they are really great at city clearing, but a single .50 cal and a fairly steady supply of ammo can do you just fine.

So basically its a large box with wheels and a gun turret or two.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 26, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

The reason I have an internal wall is that I want my sleeping/crafting area to be fully opaque so a passing trash mob won't see me and start bashing the walls (won't damage them, but wakes me up / interrupts me)

I have blast shields over the windshield which I just open and close as needed. Cuts off the vision.

Those might be a mod but I think you can just install curtains normally.

Anyways to each their own! I am just trying the open floor plan out this run, I have run into issues in the past where weight starts being a real issue as you can't easily fix tires and such because its too heavy to jack up.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Mr. Showtime posted:

I am the deathmobile.

Found heavy military armor in a bank safe right next to my starting evac center. With 30/60+ protection It's been incredibly fun getting punched through house walls and just not giving a poo poo. I have absolutely been disarmed and swarmed and just not noticed as mash the tab key down and punch the zombies to death.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 28, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

one day i will survive more than a single day in this game. i want to make a good mutant but every time i try to start as an experiment guy i get killed in the forest by something horrible

i want to turn into the ultimate slime man or idk something else gross. i am less interested in turning into a furry so i would like a good starting build for cool guy mutations if anyone knows one

Why/how do you tend to die? Also DDA or BN?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

These are all fine options but bare bones minimal you can get very far with a cudgel, which is extremely easy to craft even in a woods start.

The other vital thing to know is that tile obstructions/terrain have a tremendous impact on your or your enemies speed, and act as a force multiplier. Its entirely feasible to kill a zombie that you kited onto a bush with out taking a hit, or it even getting a move.

The bonus to the above is if you have enough time or have a quick fire lighting option you can set the bush or whatever on fire which will constantly damage whatever is on the tile. Fire also I believe scares away certain monsters which can be handy.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Marenghi posted:

Cudgel is handy as it's usable by many martial arts which can use melee weapons.

I don't think any of the other starting weapons have that benefit.

It also has the rapid strike and stun traits iirc.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Usually zombies (or some horrific forest monster that seek and destroys me right as i start the game), i just get torn up and when I try to avoid them by hiding in a house they just seem to home in on me even when my guy is reading a magazine with the curtains closed and a headlamp on.

I've been playing DDA, i dont know what BN is but if it's better i am not married to DDA

i just end up getting overwhelmed by zombies bc i can't seem to outrun them. I've been using all the helpful tips from the thread and making a cudgel and trapping them in bushes, which has let me go from always dying all the way to killing like 20 zombies in a run before i die.

i just get hosed over by the tough zombies and the soldier zombies bc the tough ones seem to be able to outrun me and the soldier ones are very tanky

BN is Bright Nights and is a fork of DDA that many people, including myself, find way better then DDA.

There is a smell system in place which is one way zombies home in on you. If you also have that roaming spawn checked for world gen that can also do it. Also if you hide in a house always hide in the last/first house in the neighborhood, if you clear out the surrounding zeds you are less likely to have other ones walk up into your poo poo and if they do you can always run out and in the opposite direction of the town/city/neighborhood which will drastically cut down on the chance you'll run into more zeds.

Tough zombies should not be able to outrun you if you are actually using the run function, though this can tire you out a lot.

Soldier zombies are always a run away from early game unless you trap em on a burning bush, though they do sometimes carry grenades which can cook off. I tend to avoid them unless I have a legitimate weapon like a real sword or something.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

This is a double post but whatever its 2022.

Generally my early game strategy is this, and it tends to always work.

1. Make a cudgel or a two by sword.

2. Find a small neighborhood or street that is lined with houses that is not in the immediate vicinity of any "special" buildings (grocery stores, gun stores, electronic stores etc" this is because I'm fairly sure these have a different spawn table than generic houses early on in the game and I don't need to deal with that poo poo.

3. Clear out the zombies (maybe 10-20) around the first house of the neighborhood, if you are walking into the neighborhood from out side the town or whatever. Generally I like to clear 2-3 houses down so I can be reasonably sure I won't get suprised. Kite small groups of zombies through houses to help stagger them and delay them enough that you can kill them. Doors and windows are your friends.

4. Enter first house, close all blinds facing towards city center, open all blinds facing the wilderness or whatever opposite city center. Now I have enough light but am reasonably certain that most zeds are not going to be able to see in (They would have to wander past the cleared area and then across the entire house).

5. Assess food/supplies, between the house you are based off of and the 2-6 others (if street has houses on both sides) you should have enough books,food, crafting materials to get you to mid game tier poo poo.

6. Progess to whatever build I want.

7.?????

8. Profit

Some other important info is basements are death traps if you are not geared for them and can turn a relatively safe base into a zombie infestation since zeds will follow you up stairs once they see you. Never go down them unless you have enough lights and gear to be certain you can clear out some tough zeds, especially if its currently your home base.

Avoid any group over 2-3 zombies until later in the game when you have better gear. I have extremely late game equipment and a group of 10 zeds still gives me issues because combat is tiring and stamina levels severely effect your combat abilities.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 19, 2022

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

re: stamina the weight of your weapon makes a massive difference to stamina consumption (possibly BN changed this, I don't play it) so if you're getting tired too fast try using the smallest possible weapon you can find which can actually kill things. Knives and (especially) batons can be surprisingly effective.

Yup, combat knives are extremely good for their size and weight and that and the military equipment is like the only good reason to try to tackle a single soldier zed early on, since they always drop them.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

i still havent figured out how to cook any meals cause i cant find how you make a campfire or w/e. it must be in the construct menu somewhere but i cant find it

my guy got depression from having to smash a whole pen full of furious labradors and then a barn with a few zombie children in it.

Toss poo poo into an oven by dropping wooden or flammable items on it. Light it on fire by using a match. The oven prevents the fire from spreading.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I like to think OP slathers themselves with cattail jelly not for the health benefits but so they can imagine themselves as their ideal goo self as they fall asleep.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

WarpedLichen posted:

That's some cool stuff, I wish there was a proper end game where you close the portals by launching a nuke or develop a cure or something but I guess nobody actually worked on that?

Theres an artifact type that seals portals

But noone has worked on an end game.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

how the hell do you guys make vehicles work? Nothing is as fast as Shift+W on the map since vehicles have to stop constantly due to obstructions. Am I missing something? I just walk literally everywhere nowadays

Unless your settings are completely hosed most roads between towns are not obstructed and outside of bridges its really really easy to maneuver around cars and such inside towns.

I make massive Homestead mobile bases and I think I've only ever had to find an alternative route around a bridge once. Every other time I have been able to squeeze through.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Not finding hacksaw is a rng issue. Like welders they are pretty easy to find if you check the right locations or get lucky with zed drops.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Mimesweeper posted:

time always crawls near labs because of how the game simulates the rest of the world. it would be way too slow to simulate everything all the time so it freezes most things when you travel far enough away. only a small area around your current location is being processed as you act, i think its a 5x5 square of map tiles, but it includes every z level within that little simulated square. since labs can have a lot of vertical levels and they're full of npcs it gets chunky.

lab starts are really only doable if you understand enough about the game to have a plan for how you're going to escape before you build your character, its not something you can jump into with anything and hope to survive

Everything in this post is spot on. Theres a bunch of starts like the Lab where you need to have a solid understanding of both your start layout, and what you can expect to make/skills you can get. This was maybe a year or two back but there was a pages long discussion about the prison break out start and there was basically only two viable ways to do it, one (which I prefered) relying on rng to get matches/flashlight (which are fairly common drops) because otherwise it was too dark to craft the needed materials.

I haven't really dealt with lab starts but I'd probably try to get the materials together for makeshift grenades and use those to deal with turrets.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 24, 2022

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

I feel that way with prison island starts, especially now that they have sharks. I wonder if anyone on the dev team has even played them since the overhauls.
Also most prisons have a big gate at the front room patrolled by security bots. In old versions, bullets couldn't pass through the gates, so you could wait inside until they ran out of ammo. Eventually it changed so that bullets can pass through gates and I'm pretty sure that room just kills you stone dead 99% of the time.

You can/could fake them out by throwing objects which generates sound, they will go investigate the thud and you could sneak by.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Bullets pass through those gates, but last I checked, thrown objects (including grenades) do not. Also it's a pretty small room, and robots have been given better night vision since early versions of this challenge start.

Yeah the better night vision would probably seal it then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Is there not a BN fork of it/does it not transfer over well?