Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Ants/Fungi and triffids are all toggleable because they are generally and FPS dink thats not fun to deal with most times.

Everyone should mininuke a fungal tower at least once though imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Molotovs are hilariously easy to craft given how useful they are. A 4x4 or whatever grid of fire will absolutely gently caress up swarms.

Remember you can siphon cars for gas and use that for them.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

The creator doesn't like BN so it's on the boat community to try and port the content over. It's frozen at the state it was when the fork happens.

So no attunement, goblins, forge of wonders, ect.

I could have sworn that I fought through a goblin encampment a couple games ago, but looking at the json files for my current one theres no goblins. Weird.

They have like a palisaded up camp with prisoners and such yeah?

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 27, 2022

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No, walls, no prisoners, a few huts.

They aren't in.

I'm trying to figure out what mod it was then.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

You can peek and throw items, which helps deal with the whole turret shooting you thing.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Quicksilver6 posted:

I'm not a member of any Cataclysm discords, apparently there's a lot of drama and toxicity between both DDA and BN. I normally like Bright Nights but I guess there's tons of slapfighting and evangelizing in public forums?

Should I not be playing Bright Nights due to culture war poo poo or supporting right wing chuds or something? I hadn't heard anything about a Milkshake Duck incident for DDA or BN but I'm cautious now.

The opposite is true in that the DDA coders tend to be shits which is why BN was formed.

It basically boils down to BN wants to be an enjoyable game and so either cuts out the tedius mechanics or smoothens out the grind while DDA is hard core into realism even when it impacts gameplay. The other plus with DDA is that it has a more active development.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 8, 2022

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I'd argue that everyone should at least start with BN since its a more user friendly experince and then once they get the hang of it the general mechanics and how to not die and poo poo then they can move onto DDA and experince the new poo poo or whatever.

But from a content perspective if you are a new cataclysm player either is going to keep you occupied for a long rear end time.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Jawnycat posted:

If you enjoy more nitty gritty and mechanical cruft, DDA is for you like it is for me. I like what BN is doing, but I need my overly complicated pockets system and nutrition and garbage. If you'd rather things be more abstracted and simple with a focus on gameplay first over realism, BN is where to go.

My current biggest complaint for DDA is that there are so many loving buildings that don't have a roof when they should. Why has nobody fixed this yet. I'm always "ahh yeah, this place'd make a nice thematic base for my dude/roleplay" and then the entire place doesn't have a ceiling.

Similarly its always fun to figure out you missed a vehicle roof tile when it starts raining and you get soaked.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

habituallyred posted:

Probably the only way to keep the BN vs DDA slapfights out of that thread would be a separate BN LP. Some of the most recent updates with the boat cruise are highlighting the systematic suppression of things that let survivors make it past the midgame. So that nobody has to code an endgame.

I am somewhat tempted to do a BN LP and maybe have it somewhat collaborative with 1 or 2 other people posting their runs.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 8, 2022

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

This is making me think I need to give BN an actual earnest go. Playing on Experimental is kind of fun, but the more tedious systems keep repelling me. I get to approximately the point where I'm collecting loot and are making purposeful trips for stuff I want and then go "okay well know what."

While BN is less tedious you will still reach that "okay now what" point

Though with all the avaliable mods you can just set some arbitrary goal like having a perpeutal motion machine powered death mobile and dedicate yourself to scouring the labs and such for the materials. Another fairly okay goal is a working set of power armor thats fairly kitted out.

There is also an artifact type that closes portals and you could call acquiring that you beating the game.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Aftershock and Cataclysm+++ or whatever many pluses both work and have worked with it for ages. They are both on in my current run.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Archonex posted:

I was talking about compatibility issues with Bright Nights, not CDDA/Kevin's fork.

When is the last time you tried? I ask because they are constantly updating them and I havent had any real issues in the past 6 months

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 11, 2022

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Archonex posted:

Two or three weeks ago.

Ill poke around at it when I get home. The biggest issue I remember having is that they forgot a comma or line seperator in one of the text files and it would throw an error for that item but still let you play.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

CK07 posted:

Sky island mod is BARELY making it tolerable to deal with pockets, but I wish there were a way to make a new pond tile in my base so I could farm fish with a trap. Animal breeding apparently happens once a year so that doesn't seem sustainable, and I am constitutionally incapable of making my way to a warp point without filling up my backpack with a ton of incidental poo poo even if I'm trying to focus on just collecting planks or bodies or whatever.

Chickens/eggs?

Soon you will have too many (maybe I haven't touched this game for months)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

CK07 posted:

This is probably what I should do, just can't remember where the hell I saw chickens and I didn't grab one because I didn't have a proper container.

Similar problem with cow. I have definitely planted a ton of food at the earliest opportunity, and fertilized about a third of it to spread out the harvest and preservation work a little. But I think I still want a meat source. This is a homesteading game, right?

Do fish still lay eggs, maybe snag some of those for your pond.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Giving DDA another go after years.

Why am I overheating to death cooking food outside.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

Temperature from fire spreads to nearby tiles. So just like IRL, if you stand next to a fire, you're gonna feel the heat.

Im 4-6 tiles away. And wearing a t shirt and pants. I should not be dangerously overheating, and even if I was closer to the fire, I still should not be dangerously overheating. Normal campfires do not get that hot.

It is very dumb, unrealistic, and a bad design choice. While it's a good driver to get hotplates or whatever it makes zero sense, especially since a lot of that heat should be traveling up and away from me.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 6, 2023

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

megane posted:

Relatedly: gently caress burrowing monsters. What an awful mechanic.

Naw they are great.

Playing an Innawoods game with dinosaurs and megafauna on and started in the second layer of a cave. Things went immediately south, as the cave was infested with massive mole rats which were burrowing everywhere, and sometimes causing cave ins.

Queue an epic, confusing rush in the dark as I tried to figure out how to get the gently caress out of the cave before I got eaten or trapped. Roughly half way through the cave the molerat caused a cave in which brought a bunch of triffids down into the cave (there was a triffid grove nearby on the surface). So now I was dodging triffids while I tried to find my way out.

I finally found the exit, saw a bunch more triffids, and booked it. Weaving through them at a run.

Probably one of the more fun starts I've had.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Campfire overheating cycling into dehydration killed one of my best "I live in the woods!" runs :(

The entire survival in the woods concept imo needs a rework because it's incredibly obvious that no one who touched the systems spends any decent amount of time in the woods, or has an understanding of "prehistoric" technologies or lifeways.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

CK07 posted:

This is Massachusetts, not the outback. You gotta at least wear shoes.

Ah yes, Mass. *Boils to death in 80 degrees during the summer*

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Sab Sabbington posted:

This is a good point and I think something that could totally be implemented with the caveat that I don't know that melee weapons can be modded like firearms can, so it might need to be a craft that creates a whole new item, which is unoptimal but not necessarily a deal-breaker. I'll hit up the discord and see what the situation with that might be.

You could lead the way to a neat system. Imagine making a knife or whatever and being able to give it a super steel blade.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Alright real question, how long do you think we have before they add in pooping and peeing

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

It’s already gotten an “absolutely not” from the project leads for all the reasons you can assume, so never. I just assume the player is doing their business abstractly every now and then. Or maybe the blob is consuming all the poo poo and pee :tinfoil:

That's an actually sane position for them to take, so nice.

I was thinking about how tedious it would be so assuming it was in the works.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

goatsestretchgoals posted:

TBH thieving gremlin is the best part of the game. It’s neat to become an invincible zombie blender with a deathmobile but it just becomes old. CDDA game loop is/should be sneaking to grab that one more thing before you get boxed in.

no

*Rams deathmobile into military complex gate at 80 mph, is not wearing a seatbelt so goes flying through the 1 tile gap in windshield thats there for this specific reason, screaming into the air as a judo chop my way through hordes of undead*

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Huh, they removed the mod that lets you disable zombie revives? Was there some technical issue with it or was it just removed bc the devs love tedium

In the latest stable unless I have some weird mod on zombie revives are disabled by default.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Oh that’s good to know actually, pulping corpses is the worst goddamn thing

Human and animal corpses will revive though, so ya gotta pulp them. But you are likely not going to have giant piles of those build up.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

No Hope also removes revivification on zombies but leaves it for humans/animals.

Ah that's what it is then, my bad!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Literally, and I mean literally "Hey I made this obscure text file toggle into an in-game UI toggle"

"Nope, denied"

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

JerikTelorian posted:

I found a mine and started exploring.

In the mine was a big spiral leading to a down stair, then another spiral leading out, then several spiral pathways and rocks placed in a spiral pattern. Is this an Uzumaki reference? How hosed is the bottom?

It made me uncomfortable and I peace'd.

Seems like the hole was not made for you.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Honestly the whole 'I'm in a place I don't know well and that terrifies me' or 'I've seen an enemy I haven't met before' is part of what makes this game exciting. I, too, have turned around from places that gave me a bad vibe and most games can't make me turn back like that.

I had a run like that where there was a town just filled with poo poo I hadn't seen, bigguns too.

I rammed my deathmobile into the town and just blasted everything with .50. The big ones got a tank shell if they were too annoying.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

....they removed the silo launch ability?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Not a coder, just make it a toggle imo.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Is there an actual write up of Cata++ anywhere? The mod stuff write up have seen for it is VERY minimal.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I also bested the patrols around the place by luring them into a herd of triceratops and causing a space-lobster dinosaur war. The dinos were perfectly happy to leave me alone so it let me hack down the distracted Mi-Go.

Bringing an anky into a town in my favorite way to clear a block or 3.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

No you see the blob supposed to be a vast multi-dimensional intelligence and the game should be unplayable after a couple years.

I hate pretty much everything about the blob tbh. I am normally heavily in bed with the idea that stuff should be explained/fluffed out but they just kinda made the ultimate uncareing evil sound like something a 3rd grader came up with.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Nope. It's a time cube

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Did they break them by making every recipe take more power than a battery could supply?

They broke chainsaws with that, and now fuel costs for recipes are weird because they grognarded up the actual energy produced by different fuel (and assuming each method was just as efficent at using said energy as the next).

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhghehhwhde

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Holy poo poo, his reaction is gold.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Is there a way to put stuff directly into refrigerators and such without dropping it onto the ground and using / to move it from tile to tile?

Directional dropping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

If there was a zone order or whatever that basically let you hit a button and time passed as your character put poo poo into ziplocks or boxes that would be sane and good.

But having a mechanic where its optimal (20% is pretty loving big) to put poo poo into ziplocks and making the player have to do that manually is incredibly insane. Its basically parody.