Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Marenghi posted:

Stupid question probably but I can't find the answer anywhere. How do I remove items from a fixed container such as a dresser?

'e' then the direction of the container in relation to you.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is nail guns. They are zombie killer A #1. They have crap range and horrible damage, but they're pretty dang silent. Ammo for them is literally everywhere as well, burning down a single house can easily net you in excess of a 1000 nails, so you can go full auto all over every bodies faces. It also trains up your firearms skill.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

a slime posted:

My only close calls so far have been from wolf spiders. Usually I run them over, but one caught me off guard getting out of my truck and in one turn had reduced my speed so much that I would never have gotten away alive. But that's what meth is for.

I've only died to a spider once. It caught me off guard just outside my fort and mauled me before I could grab the shotgun off of my motorcycle. Ever since then I file spiders under 'big nasty' and bring out the serious firepower for them.

On the upside they give you chitin and are quite scrumptious.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

JAssassin posted:

Fun bug in the newest Nightly release. You cannot exit vehicles when you get in them. "e" examines instead of exits in a vehicle, when it should do the reverse.

They changed it. It's now under the vehicle menu you use for cruise control and headlights, which also got changed and is now ^.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Strudel Man posted:

Who the hell suggested to make the katana less ridiculous. They need to be ridiculous. And I can never even find one of the drat things.

I had no idea there was even a katana in the game. If they're going to be that drat rare then they should be ridiculous.

EDIT: There should be two katana. A real one and one of those stupid replicas all the weeaboos own that does about as much damage as a pocket knife.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 13, 2013

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Unbound posted:

Awesome! Sounds like the solution to all my problems was finding a good vehicle. But I have one other question I forgot to ask. How do I store things in containers, like lockers or refrigerators? I have a pretty sweet house I found that has a basement complete with a bed and plenty of lockers. I wanted to put the guns I found in those lockers, but I couldn't get it and they would end up on the floor instead.

Stand next to it then press 'Shift+D', then choose the direction of the container. '/' may work as well, but I can't remember if it actually puts the item in the container.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Bilal posted:

My in-game map keeps getting reset after I close the game. The world map stays persistent, but I did a pretty big deal of exploring on multiple characters, taking down notes, etc. When I closed the game and reopened, the fog of war had been reset to as if I had just started a new character on a new world. I thought it was just preventing me from mapping the world with tons of different suicide rush builds, but it's wiped the map even on my one main character. Is this intentional?

The map shouldn't get wiped if you're playing the same character, only a new one. Are you saving (shift+S)? If so, maybe try deleting and re-downloading it and see if that helps.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I just discovered you can smash bodies into a pulp. I mean literally use the (s)mash command on a body and it will eventually turn into a "pulped whatever corpse" at which point you can no longer smash it. It's why you sometimes see a "bruised zombie corpse" and such now.

Does anyone happen to know if this prevents reanimation? Because stomping zombies into a chunky paste would be a nice alternative. It's faster turn wise than hacking them apart, and less effort than piling them up and burning them.

Oh, and gently caress fungaloids. If there's one anywhere near a town you may as well give it up, because they own that mother fucker.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Giggle Goose posted:

I've been playing this game a good bit over these last few days and I have to say that for me the most difficult thing is keeping my character fed. I cram so much food down his throat and yet he is perpetually at some level of huger. Finding water or something to drink is easy but man the food thing seems way too punishing. Any tips on keeping my guy satiated?

Furry critters (rabbits, deer, cats, et al) and spiders are good sources of meat. Just wander around outside of town and you should run into some. Squirrels are kind of hard to hunt because their fragile little bodies get turned into a red smear by just about everything.

Try and eat nothing but the food that will spoil quickly for the first couple of days like paper wrapped sandwiches and pizza, and save the stuff with a decent shelf life such as canned goods and MRE's for later.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Speaking of bugs has anyone else found small areas that are empty? I mean totally black and called "nothing" when I examine them.

Those pop up occasionally, and have been a thing for a long time. I think it's a glitch in the world gen.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

geeko55 posted:

Can people post their recommended starting builds? I'm having a hard time getting through even the first night with ample supplies.

This is more or less my default build, and it serves me well enough. I don't take any skills because most of them are pretty easy to train up through practice or book learnin', but some people may not recommend it.

Stats
ST 8
Dex 10
Int: 14
Per: 13

Traits
Positive:

-Fleet Footed
-Quick

Negative:

-Truth Teller
-Ugly (Always take truth teller and ugly because they only effect NPC interactions which makes them free points)
-Weak Stomach
-Mood Swings
-Trigger Happy (basically free points if you don't use automatic weapons)
-Addictive Personality
-Insomniac (You're going to need sleeping pills or Nyquil anyway)

Profession
-Chain Smoker

EDIT: I used to take Glass Jaw instead of Addictive Personality, but I got tired of getting my block knocked off.

EDIT2: I could probably stand to trade in some of my brains for a little brawn, as well. You don't need an INT that high, I just do that out of habit from older versions.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 21, 2013

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Vengarr posted:

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

I had one pinned between my truck and a tree, and I spent about twenty turns mashing on the gas trying to kill it while it roared in my face. Pretty intense. They're so goddamn tough, hitting one at 50 mph with a flatbed hurts the truck nearly as badly.

Well, that's just incredibly badass.

I got a chance to test it and using the (s)mash command on a zombie corpse until it turns into a "Pulped Zombie Corpse" does prevent them from resurrecting. Sledgehammers and Wood Axes are of course superb at this managing to do it in one or two swings.

It sprays blood everywhere when you do it.

I love this god drat game.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Capilarean posted:

Am I the only one who's never had any problem with spiders? Early on, bash them with a nail board, once you get a gun just wait for them to come close and headshot them. I've never had a single character killed by spiders.

It's not that they were super difficult or anything, it's that if they caught you unprepared without a weapon that could crack their armor they would rip you to shreds incredibly fast. If you were just trying to use .22 or a bow then they would just laugh at you while filling you're brain with poison.

I've only died to one, but I learned they would gladly gently caress you up if given half a chance.

EDIT: The Calico M960 has a 20 round burst :stare:

That was not a happy thing to find out unexpectedly. I hope my guy had fun.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 24, 2013

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

Yep, they're still there.

[edit] Has anyone managed to get that little sound gauge that's been included in 0.6 to actually do something? It just constantly says "Sound: 0" for me, no matter what I do or how much noise I'm actually making.

Mine jumps up pretty good when I'm firing a weapon. I can't remember if it changes for anything else, though.

Daktar posted:

How do I make plastic chunks? Is it a crafting recipe or do I need to chop something up like making rags?

Yeah, you chop up things like military rucksacks, or any clothing that isn't cloth or leather really.

EDIT:

Nevets posted:

Activate scissors/knife, use on plastic item. Still trying to figure out how to use them to repair something in 0.6 though.

Use a soldering iron

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

PiCroft posted:

It's merged with the newest DDA so it has the adjustments of GDA coupled with the new stuff in DDA.

I've been run off my feet at my day job so I've not had a great deal of time to devote to GDA so far. Ill start looking at new features and bugfixes (like being unable to reinforce plastic/Kevlar/fur and reinstating certain mutations) tonight.

I'm using DDA 6.0 and I have a reinforced Kevlar vest and a reinforced Military Rucksack. Is this just a GDA thing?

EDIT: Here's a pic just because

Bonus reinforced Picklehaube

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 27, 2013

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Feelin' confident with my extra sturdy shades and army guy pants.

Jack Trades posted:

How do you reinforce poo poo?

Sewing kit for cloth, fur and leather plus some extra bits of rags, fur, or leather. Soldering Iron for plastic, kevlar, metal plus some extra bits of the material.

EDIT:fixed something

You get rags from cutting up cloth with a blade, leather from cutting up leather items and maybe animals(? not sure on that bit), and fur from butchering cute little furry critters. Plastic from cutting up anything plastic, even bottles and bags, kevlar from dismantling kevlar vests, and scrap metal can be found a lot of places; smashing fridges or dismantling flash lights is an easy source.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 27, 2013

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
It seems to be fine for the most part. The amount of Kevlar plates you get out of a vest seems a little high, but since they're a kind of rarer item, and there's no easy source of Kevlar, it's probably better if it's a little high, I think.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Cataclysm: Even coding it is a post-apocalyptic survival experience.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I pulled a stupid and accidentally made my rapier wielding, meth cooking, badass Jacques Friction commit suicide. I usually generate a new world when a character dies, but I was pretty pissed so I just created a new one. Fritz Wang (Yes all my character's names are dick jokes) spawned nowhere near where Jacques died. He had to go on a beer fueled cross country trek in a stolen jalopy, while fighting off dozens of zombie bastards board and nail. After three days, a few close calls, and the running over of many squishy things he has finally arrived at Jacques old home, "Fort RIP Dale Earnhardt Jr". Fritz may not have the skills, or the taste for high grade glass that ol' Jacques had, but at least he has all his big boomy toys now.

It was surprisingly fun driving around with barely adequate supplies and looking for a place I wasn't sure I'd ever find, but I'm glad I can finally get back to work on my battle wagon. I almost missed it because I didn't recognize the town at first, but it clicked when I happened to drive pass a half burnt pile of butchered corpses.

What I'm getting it is that I really appreciate everything everyone has done to keep this game from falling apart.

CharlesDexterWard posted:

I haven't played Cataclysm for a bit now, but reading it has made me want to get the latest version and play again.

You really should. There's some nice quality of life improvements now. I don't how long it's been since you've played, but shift+v brings up a list of everything you can see that you can scroll through and the cursor will move to where the item is. It's very handy. PiCroft added the ability to repair and reinforce non-cloth items, which is just awesome.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Daktar posted:

How do I stick arrowheads on to arrows? Ammunition seems to be remarkably scarce in my game, and I can't scrounge up a hand press anywhere, so I'm giving archery a try.

e: Never mind, figured it out. I didn't have enough archery skill.

e2: Haha, you can build a ballista. Archery! :v:

This doesn't really help much, but every hand press I've ever found has been off a zombie corpse.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

T-man posted:

How do you guys get focus? I have both quick learner and quick reader but I feel like if I got more focus I'd be able to read my books faster. My guy has a intelligence of 12 so I feel like he should be speed reading or something.

Adderall helps tremendously, but any stimulant can help. I have an intelligence of 12 as well, and with proper drug abuse I can usually get it up to around 17.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Giggle Goose posted:

Its not just the sinkholes. There are drat swarms of nasty, nasty enemies. I drove through one in my truck and was certain that I was going to die as I wasn't sure how much fuel I had left. It was a harrowing experience.

Those loving mosquito swarms. I once slammed my car into the densest part of a swarm, and my speed dropped to a single digit then my car went sliding down the road sideways. By the time I regained control of vehicle I had splattered something like 70 of them, and my car was basically hosed.

My current character has to start every morning by clearing off the bugs and frogs that accumulated up outside over night with high powered weaponry. She doesn't have to worry about food, so that's a plus I guess.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

PiCroft posted:

A quick question: assuming I was able to get, say, an electrical system working, so you could generate, transmit and utilize electricity, what kind of applications would you like to see?

I can think of a few, such as light sources, charging powered items/UPS, powering certain things like fridges and so on but is there anything anyone would like to see from such a system?

Some sort of powered workbench we could find or build that functions more or less as a stationary Integrated Toolset would be nifty.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I just found a money bundle in a gas station. Completely at loss as to what to do with it, I threw it at the feet of Shrieker and lit a match. Then I cooked my lunch over it's smoldering carcass.

There's probably some sort of metaphor for capitalism here.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

narcoticgoldfish posted:

Smokers are the most dangerous zombie mob by far; I've died more times from hacking a lung up than I have from, well, anything. However, you can wear a filter mask or similar to diffuse the effects of smoke, so at least there exists a counter. Maybe I should look into making cough drops or somesuch to counteract the inhalation if you're caught without a mask...add another one to the list!

Maybe adding the ability to treat smoke inhalation to the inhaler would work. It's not the most realistic thing, but it seems like it would be easier than adding in a full 02 tank and breathing mask.

I think Dayquil prevents or reduces the coughing if your sick, but I'm not entirely sure on that one.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Diabetes By Sundown posted:

Dumb question, but is there not a clock? I'd like to know what time of day it is so I don't keep trying to go to sleep at noon.

There's a wristwatch that you can find, and it'll replace the little sun/moon thing with the time. They seem fairly rare, but zombies can drop them.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Ahahaha Jesus Jumpin' Christ.

Wait, it doesn't start with Masochist? Not only is it creepy, it's not even well thought out.

EDIT: Awful, awful grammar.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 7, 2013

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

T-man posted:

In all my games I've never found a LAMOE shelter. Are they marked on the map? Are they called that in game? How rare are they?

Yes (I think they're a little red + on the map), yes, and decently rare.

They look like hobbit holes.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 20, 2013

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Drake_263 posted:

OK, so I might have a problem with my GIant Moblike Death Crawler design.. it doesn't fit the garage I've taken over as my base. Or it does fir the GARAGE, but it doesn't fit OUT of there. My solution, I'm building it up rear end against the back wall of the garage, wth the intent to chestburst my way out of there with sheer mass and power - we're talking about what's basically three semi hulks welded together, powered my four bigass V8 engines.

Other less awesome methods are to just cut it up and rebuild the vehicle outside if you have the resources or to destroy the walls with bombs, a controlled burn, jack hammer or sonic resonator.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Doug Lombardi posted:

I wish this game had a better underground map system. It's really easy to get lost in every underground area because there aren't any landmarks you can orient yourself with.

I do too. I don't mind busting out the graph paper and playing cartographer, but it's always disappointing when I decide to start a new world and I'm left with a stack of useless maps.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't even think of that because recoil used to be so unimportant. I tried it now and it really makes a difference. I can actually hit things twice in a row now, which is definitely an improvement.

Still, at 12/12 firearms/rifle skill I kind of want to be able to make heads go boom consistently. :smith:

It's an SMG, but keep an eye out for a TDI Vector. It has the best default recoil compensation in the game, so you can blast away in semi-auto all day with that thing without the recoil indicator even popping up. The H&K MP7 is also really good.

For rifles the Savage 111F has the best compensation, but a crap ammo capacity. It's .308 though, so whatever you hit is going to feel it. The Steyr AUG will be probably your best bet, it's capable of automatic fire, chambered for .223 which tends to be a little more common than .308, and has a 30 round magazine.

Unfortunately, excluding the Savage 111F, all of these weapons are fairly rare.

EDIT: There's also .22 rifles which are great for plunking away at most zombies, but trying to use them against almost anything else will probably get you killed.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 22, 2013

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Strudel Man posted:

edit: What is the deal with skewers? The recipe for fire sticks calls for them, as does 'smoked meat,' and contextually it seems like it should be nothing more than a simple wooden, well, skewer, that should be easy to make. But there doesn't seem to be a recipe to make it, and I don't think I've ever actually seen one.

Use your knife to cut up a piece of wood like you do with cloth for rags. I don't think splintered wood works for this.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Then I had two scoops of meth for breakfast and went to the regional school.

:patriot:

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

esquilax posted:

I think you can chop up a fur pelt into a leather patch the same way as pants.

Wow, this is the first time I heard of this. I just tried it and it does indeed work.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Dotcom656 posted:

Okay strange. I'm trying to make a makeshift sword. and I have 4 fabrication skill. But I don't have the option to make the 2 by sword.

You also need a level in melee. If you have that then I have no clue.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Belasarius posted:

I saw a mound of dirt and decided to dig it up, but it turned out to be a landmine. after that I decided to see how many landmines I needed to step on in a row in order to die. It was a lot. Like 7 or 8. Why is that? I did have steel toe boots on.

The boots probably helped, I think with them fully reinforced you get close to Kevlar vest protection for your feet. I don't have a vest currently in game to check, but my boots give 50 bash and 50 cut protection, and I believe a Kevlar vest gives 60 protection each. It still takes a couple of land mines to kill you, but I'm honestly not sure if it's because they're just weak, or if they happen to attack your legs first or something like that.

It wouldn't surprise if they're intended to wreck your legs instead of killing you in game, since that's what land mines are designed for in real life. Having even a single broken limb in the game is a huge handicap and basically a death sentence if your not a bad enough dude to fight your way through a hospital.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Doug Lombardi posted:

Is there any penalty for eating human flesh? It doesn't seem like there should be, since the only source of human flesh is my old characters.

I think there's some minor downsides, but you'd have to eat a ton of it or be in really crappy shape to see the effects. There is a recipe book you can find that has meals you can make with human flesh that have positive effects, though.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Corsec posted:

How do I get rebar for the jackhammer crafting recipe? The only way I know is to already have a loving jackhammer and take down underground walls. Will burnt down buildings produce rebar? Or car collisions with buildings?

Yup, demolishing a building will get you some rebar.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Tiler Kiwi posted:

gently caress just go melee. Make a nail board, kill everything. Find a baseball bat, make a nail bat, kill everything even faster. Find a pawn shop, draw your zweihander, and then just give no fucks forever.

Unless you get your damned zweihander stuck inside a spitter zombie and it melts. :argh:

Instead of making a building sized doom-mobile, I've been trying to fit everything I could possibly need into as small a package as possible:

I have a dilemma though, I can't figure out how to close off the back end without either losing storage space or giving the thing a fat rear end. A fat rear end is completely unacceptable because the whole point of this thing is to keep most of the maneuverability of a motorcycle or 4-wheeler while including the utility of an RV. Any suggestions?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Inadequately posted:

E: How about installing trunks on the front part? Turn the wheels into underbody wheels and you should be able to install stuff on them, so you can turn the front into extra storage space.

Worked out fairly well, thanks! Had to redo it a little bit to fit the wheels back on, but it ended up a couple hundred pounds lighter on top of being much safer.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

The Droid posted:

The wiki's a little out of date on things, are the pneumatic weapons just mechanics based or do they rely on archery/rifles/firearms?

From the in game menu, all you appear to need is mechanics 6 for a pneumatic assault rifle and 8 for a pneumatic bolt driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Radiation sickness is a bit of a bugger so I'd probably not suggest giving yourself it, I think you'll end up with the bad symptoms before you start mutating. And even with robust genetics you'll still end up with a lot of crap mutations.

Also if you end up actually being radioactive yourself you'll need to cure that pretty quick, otherwise you're kinda hosed.

With radiogenic you can live with the minor radioactivity mutation with no ill effects. If you have moderate radioactivity (shows up as just radioactivity) or higher you'll eventually die.

At least from what I can tell. I've had minor radioactivity and radiogenic for several months in game on my current character without my radiation badge even changing color, but when I tried it with moderate radioactivity the character died from radiation within a few days.

EDIT:

JosephWongKS posted:

If I have Robust Genetics, is it a good idea for me to go strolling around in craters and other radiated areas to deliberately pick up mutations?

Once you get your cooking skill to level 9 it's really easy to just whip up a couple of gallons of mutagen and purifier. Then you can just sit in your hobo-hole and mutate yourself until you wind up with a combination you like. I recommend stripping down and setting your clothes aside before you start loving with your genetics though.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 13, 2013