Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

So I hit some squid juice I found on a lark and now all my limbs are tentacles. This being my first character to make it to fall, Is no gloves or shoes gonna be a problem come winter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

Thanks, I'll work on making some tentacle gear when I get home then. Am I hosed from an armor stand point? Can I still wear hazmat suits or something else to keep rads out? There was this radiation sarcophagus I was gonna check out.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

Is there anything cool to do underwater? It seems like there's a poo poo load of gear and two different mutation lines that deal with swimming and diving shenanigans with nothing to actually do with any of it beyond cheese it into the water in a tight spot.

My character has basically gone all deep one on me and I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of depths to hang out in.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

The only nerf I've found annoying is not being able to read or craft in the dark with high or full night vision. I guess they decided being able to ignore the lighting system was a bit much, but it was better then having to strap an atomic lamp to my back.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

It dawns on me that between the mutagens, martial arts and hodgepodge road machines covered in lasers every character I make that lasts a year ends up turning into an off brand TMNT action figure.

I think I need some kind of ninja enemies mod now. A pizza cannon would also be acceptable.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 13, 2015

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

Well that was somber.

Random NPC came in said nothing and and burned me and my entire base down with a flamer thrower.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Some people just want to see the world burn.

NPCs are okay but if you could convince neutrals that rifling through your piles of scavenged items is not a *nice* thing, I'd be much happier about them showing up semi-randomly in the reality bubble. Or if they weren't so bloody accurate with their shotguns and semi-autos. Or you could set their spawn rate.

Well strictly speaking I think there is a npc spawn rate thing in world creation settings. Fiddling with it in any fashion seems to make them vanishingly rare or 6 spawn around the house I spent the night in without much of a middle ground though.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Oh god why was there a military outpost with turrets just around this mall (thus camoflaged by all the M's)

Makes for an interesting oppertunity, think you could train any zombies over there to see how many shots it takes to run them out of ammo?

Caidin fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 15, 2015

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

Coolguye posted:

I found an apartment tower and I have really, really been liking it for the large number of beginner books and food it spawns. One question, though: if the elevator's terminal is broken, that's just tough luck, right? No way to get to the upper levels at all?

As far I can tell most elevators are broken except for like the ones you use to get into mines. I've got all the Z level stuff on though so I did once find a three story office building and a two story motel though you had to use the stairs.

Actually, can you use the construction menu to build your own stairs up to the next floor if it actually exists?

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

I turned skill rust off the first day I was learning this game.

Reading a book and then almost immediately ticking back down to 99% of the last level is just obnoxious.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

I know a lot of the trade off mutations aren't really all that great, but huge seems to a ridiculously terrible deal. Too big for anything but the XL clothes AND I can't drive anymore for +4 strength?

it could double my health and I'd call that horrible.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

PiCroft posted:

Seriously? That's a good step. CDDA was basically my mobile death base simulator. Hopefully someone can mod out or convince him to get rid of the vitamin stuff too.

The latest version I played had a world gen mod that removed it, so that's nice. I debug in a bucket of mutagen at the start of every character just to keep things interesting and be damned if I'm going to let some amateur nutritionist penalize me for not adhering to his recommended vitamin intake for a giant kick boxing amoeba.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno I actually think that veering all over the road like a drunken idiot is kind of fun :v:

With how entertaining vehicle crashes are in this it would be a real shame not to encourage them at all times. Just sing off key whitesnake at the top of your lungs every time you get in a car, spin out, crash through half a forest and land in a beehive.

There's something to be said for starting miles out in the wilderness and the first vehicle you find being a unicycle parked outside a mine.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

Minor detour from the topic at hand but did it always take 10 actual minutes for you to finish a full nights sleep or have I missed up some setting? Did a lab escape start and after getting out half shredded by turret fire I decided to sleep in a isolated farmhouse and I made this post while I waited for my character to wake up.

Some of the new mutations are fun. Not entirely sure how vampire would work under the circumstances. Mouse is oddly powerful with the massive dodge and speed and extra stealth, plus the meaty junk food morale bonus. You are pretty flimsy though I guess.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Unless they added a lot earlier ways to get targeted mutations any new mutation themes will be comfortably within the "too late to matter" end of the spectrum.

I always just debug in a bunch of whatever serum I wanna try out at the start of any mutant run I feel like doing. The pros and cons a lot of them have make a fresh start interesting when your too small/big/tentacled to wear most clothes, at least for awhile.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

I like how tiny claims I'm half the size I used to be but the zombified children I'm eating in one sitting still have clothes that are too huge to wear.

Also when did they start specifying the breeds of random dogs.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 21, 2019

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

Okay my mutant ate most of a school while working on some doctorates in the library and got fat because I guess Simplified Nutrition doesn't turn that off. Can I turn on my metabolic interchange and internal UPS and watch the pounds disappear into a smart phone or do I have to just stay peckish but not hungry or something or should I even worry about it?

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Just... stop eating for a while.

That's dull and I was afraid that was the answer.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

Inglonias posted:

[*] Being high up vastly increases the distance you can see. This means that radio towers are a good find. Not only will you occasionally find a sniper perch up there, but you can explore the surrounding area in an instant.

Wait, does this mean you can start shooting at other Z levels now? Because that could be kind of a nightmare.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

Zombies don't tend to shoot anything so you should be good.

I'm more concerned they're going to start dropping turrets on top of police stations or shops or something.

Or just making bumbling into the range of a prick with a sniper rifle an issue.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

PiCroft posted:

How do people survive leaving lab starts? I tried one for a change of pace and couldn't escape because the entrance is, as per usual, guarded by a turret and I got swiss cheesed

It kind of depends on the lab but I have a lot of luck with subway exits and basement lab entrances that mercifully leave the turrets in an adjoining room so you at least have a chance to swipe the drat card.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

So this z-level stuff being hyped about, like radio towers, isn't something we should probably actually play with yet, right? Does the increased view distance still affect radio towers if we have experimental z-levels turned off, or does that reduce them back to flat 1-level structures?

The Z level thing has been in the last few experimentals I played since November I think. I assume it's been tweaked some but standing on the ledge of any second story or higher building would give a fairly large chunk of revealed map that's magnified by things like binoculars and the Scout mutation to extent of mapping out most of a large city just by standing on somebody's porch roof. How high you actually were didn't seem to increase the affect though.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

Once I tick over into obese I just stop eating for like a week or so until I tick back down to normal weight and don't seem to suffer any health impact for the starvation diet so yeah.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

I find myself disliking this new one floor science lab that seems way more prevalent then the old kind. They're mostly just full of apparently useless chemicals and crammed to gently caress with zombies with none of the big payouts you could find in the old lab finales or barracks or whatever.

I guess it has a poo poo load of Z.Scientists so you can try and beat some CBM's or something out of them.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

I could swear I once read Kevin promising he'd never make players have to pause for a bowel movement but who even knows anymore.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

Oh ho, Cataclysm! A "Grunty" combat mech with gatling laser you say? How droll!

I suppose I'll just take just take this generous offering for a brisk ride and- *immediately ventilated by lab turrets*

Not exactly a gundam I see.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

Anticheese posted:

Being over/underweight nukes your health, I think. I haven't validated that hunch by looking at the code yet.

It does, though being overweight tends to tank it harder then under I think. Too far in either direction and it well eventually kill you by starvation or heart failure or something but honestly I think you'd probably have to be trying to achieve something like that in most characters assuming they fixed tree obesity.

I think just hanging out in the overweight range doesn't really have a health malus?

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

My current character ate too many crow eggs and became overweight, so I spent the next two days just shotgunning water out of a bucket and everything worked out fine. I was chugging like twenty liters of water a day, it was loving insane.

It's gonna be a mess when some joker decides to implement water poisoning.

Just go full mouse and bypass the entire system I say.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

I think you can just straight up mess with skill learning rates in the options under the debug tab unless I've misunderstood something?

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Iím not seeing a way to edit skill rates in debug, just a way to set skill X to value Y.

No, I mean in the actual options menu from the start screen. It has a debug tab where you can set stuff like starting map visibility or how many points are in the character creation pools.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

Does anyone else have cities completely overpopulated with various bird chicks as time goes on? There's at least 3 in every other house and it makes me feel bad when I run over my 10th duckling as I go down the street.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

World Famous W posted:

I always just thought it was eggs hatching instead of rotting with the other foods

Hell if know though

I guess that would track with the occasional snake that's in there with them. Oddly the zombies will target most wild life except the chicks so I guess peep peep cute factor breaches the veil of undeath.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Iíve never played with the railgun CBM but I like to imagine throwing a grenade at a zombie so hard I kill them before it goes off. (Then I would be disappointed because I just wasted a grenade.)

Grenades are mostly only good for blowing your own eardrums out and collecting shrapnel wounds so don't feel to bad about it.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

Leal posted:

Whats the catch? They don't just make things more convenient without some catch. Did they add in tool related accidents like sawing off your thumb for realism?

Well EVENTUALLY the plan I've heard is that towns and houses are well stocked now so that when the system that makes NPC's intelligently systematically loot places themselves they will slowly hoard all the good poo poo in their little forts or whatever overtime, and beginning squabbling with you and each other over resources.

Kinda doubt it will be very elegantly done, if it ever is.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

The best way to focus on improving your swordplay is to constantly direct your attention to music, comics and maybe some pocky if you can find some.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

I'm kind of put out by so many quality of life mods being pulled from the packed options but I suppose I should be resigned to such things.

Little PC height thing is kinda cool, it tracks huge/large/small/tiny and even adjusts your weight readout from bathroom scales so now I know that my 3'4 mouse mutant needs to hang out around 51 to 56 pounds to stay healthy and that my 9'2 mastadon has absolutely no business getting into most houses, nevermind cars.

I mean I think it's neat anyway.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

My only bandits thus far were unarmed completely unarmed but had kevlar vests and so took a while in game to wear down with my mighty poisonous long fingernails considering the way NPC health seems to work. They did see me at night before I even did anything at the edge of my full night vision sight radius so if they had guns they almost certainly would have had me before I knew what the gently caress.

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

I still wash all my stuff before I cut it up because once it's parts it wants like a 1 to 1 conversion rate of soap, did they ever adjust that?

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

Carcer posted:

I'll keep that in mind but there are a poo poo load of zombies I'd have to wade through to get to a pool

How do I actually do magic? I've learnt a couple of spells but I can't figure out how to actually cast anything.

Your going to need to actually bind a key to the allocating menu for that. Hit ? When you not looking at any other menus and scroll through till you find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 28, 2011

Magiclysm question if anyone happens to know but is there a big benefit to making a vehicle out of Orichalcum? I found a pretty intact security van built on a frame of the stuff and I don't really know what it's used for.