Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

the horror

anything but him

The one Shia LaBeouf movie I would see is the one where in the aftermath of the apocalypse he becomes a crazed cannibal. :10bux: Take all my money.

e; ^^^ Ahahaha oh poo poo (Huge fuckin' spoilers for Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks) I'd love to see what HE can craft :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

Senso posted:

Must be a pretty common newbie mistake but I wielded my backpack instead of wearing it. I was still able to kill 4-5 zombies with an empty ripped backpack. If you want my opinion, that's badass.

Shades of Holistic Detective. And I think the first time I played I tried to do something similar, but got murdered in short order instead of being a badass.

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

Getting back into this game after bouncing off it a few months ago. I just randomly genned a new world. The name is "Beaverlick". I'm 13 and this is hilarious to me.

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

After my last poor fucker discovered that you should engage a zombie Hulk with ranged weapons, my new character was on day three, had an okay little home base consisting of two houses and a garage at an intersection, a reasonably proficient starting NPC ally, and whilst raiding a nearby school I just met my first Zombie Grenadier whilst fighting an entire classroom of zombie kids.

I think the grenadier can safely bet on getting :potg: because gat dang.

They definitely need a nerf lmao

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

How do you use weapons with reach, for that matter? I had a knife spear and I recently upgraded to a shiny new steel spear, and I tear through regular zombies like a dervish now, but I'm not exactly ready to dance with the big boys up close yet.

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

Oh okay, cool!

Not that it matters because I just stumbled into a Science Lab with a keycard I had found on day one and I don't think I was quite ready for this place yet. I got torn to pieces by a turret.

:xcom: but roguelikes!

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

I accidentally pulled the pin on a grenade when I was trying to do something else.

I managed to throw it across my basement and get out of the blast radius, but it destroyed half my poo poo I had lying around :qq:

On the other hand I found a car with not a single damaged part in a nearby garage, keys were in the ignition, and the tank is 30% full. If poo poo gets real again like it was when I arrived in town I can easily throw some stuff in the trunk and bail.

e; can you do anything to pick up liquids lying on the ground? That grenade broke my mutagen vial, but the mutagen itself is still there in a puddle.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 27, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

nftyw posted:

I always try to reassign explosives to a very obscure key or simply to space bar [unassisgned] so I don't go out in a blaze of glory because I was holding onto a lot stick of TNT.

I'll have to remember that can be done in future! And thanks for the mop pointer, at least I can clean the mess up if nothing else.

e; All my books were caught in the blast and not a single scrap of paper survived :qq:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 27, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

Heck me. I was fighting a fair sized horde, but they were mostly regular and tough zeds, with like one shocker and one spitter. I could take them as long as I wasn't reckless. So I lure them through an SUV and carve the gently caress out of them with my fire ax while they slowly climb across it. All going well, I'm probably halfway through killing them all, when suddenly BLAM!

The loving SUV exploded. One of those fuckers sparked off the gas tank I guess. Maybe the spitter could melt through it? The shocker was already long dead so it wasn't him, so it was either the spitter or somehow gasoline in New England can be induced to combust by being clawed at.

I'm salty about it because I had a good character and a good base, but hey, dying from something you didn't even know existed: The most roguelike death. :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

Do my survivor bros actually need to eat and drink? I don't always remember to give them said supplies and they don't seem much interested in picking them up when they're allowed to pick up items anyway, but all they do is whine about it. e; as opposed to seeming to actually suffer negatives from it.

I wasn't sold on having others with me but man when me, Jame, and Havok rolled through town earlier zombies died by the loving dozen. :black101: If/when survivors can be assigned base duties or something (aside from just "guard this place") I'm gonna start me some communities.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 4, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

I think vehicle control or loss thereof is modified by what you're actually driving. I was peeling around a city on multiple raids in a cop car I found with basically zero issues even at 0/1/2 driving, but after I upgraded it (i.e. bolted a shitton of rams and armor onto it) it became prone to sliding around the place. Could be the K Friction rating or something, or just the mass, or mass relative to engine, I dunno.

Any guess who has cybernetically enhanced tentacle arms :getin:

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

I had a deathmobile and great weapons and armor, I was on day 87 and I had a couple of pretty kickass bros with me, and I loving pressed the wrong button and walked into a door instead of peeking, the turret I suspected was on the other side chewed me up immediately.

Is there a support group for roguelike players? :smithicide:

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

What's the recommendation for dealing with turrets? I have a couple on a road near my motel, I can avoid them but it's a pain. There are also some milspec turrets at a military outpost I wouldn't mind raiding. Do I just need to find a sniper rifle and git gud with it?

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

Thanks for all the advice! I'll try shooting them for now but I'm definitely keeping an eye out for the stuff needed to hack, that sounds like good poo poo right there.

Leal posted:

This is going to be lame but drag a bunch of zombies to them, the turrets don't have infinite ammo. You might be able to find some EMP grenades which can work, some turrets (provided my only experience is the 9mm machine gun ones) have shorter range then your throwing range.

That's my usual tactic and it has worked for me before, but all the turrets I'm currently dealing with are in the middle of nowhere and kiting any meaningful number of zombies would take a stupid amount of time, time in which I am certain fifty six zombie meese will come out of the woods and murder me. Almost died hiking back overland from a FEMA camp last (in-game) night due to a loving zombie horse :gonk:

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

Whoa, I had holed up for a couple of days in my motel to recover from a run, cooked up shitloads of food, and take some time to read. Went outside to patrol the area and found that there is a MASSIVE fungal bed growing around the motel. I managed to kill the like 20 fungaloids and couple of fungal zombies without trouble, but now I have no idea how the hell to deal with the bed itself. I've not been able to smash it, it seems I can dig/till the ground but there's so much it would take days or weeks, and my pipe bomb didn't seem to do anything to the actual terrain even as it wrecked the guys on it.

So I guess I burn everything down? Gonna have to wait for it to stop raining for that. Might just be time to up sticks, much as I hate the idea of abandoning this place. e; hahahaha yeah okay that works :allears: Lost the lobby building but purged a huge amount of fungus in no time.

e2; V :smith: Guess I'll have to use this breathing room to rig up some kind of deathmobile.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 17, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

Was just gonna ask about this too, thank you my dude!

Last night I lost a character who had been doing real well because a Hell Knight appeared out of nowhere, punched me so hard I flew clear across the road, also setting me on fire and breaking half my (reinforced) gear, and putting me instantly in so much pain I couldn't do poo poo about it.

It remains one of my favorite games.

Quick question: If I build a 'vehicle' that has no wheels or anything, can an engine + alternator still produce power?

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

Coolguye posted:

Yes, this is effectively a stationary generator. You will still need a set of controls to turn it on and a gas tank, but you do not require wheels, technically.

I can always rely on you, President Grant :v: I figured that's how it worked but I wasn't certain. Of course, the character for whom that question was germane is now zombie chow, but eh, you die you learn.

What I really need to learn next is to be more judicious in what I take when I raid a place. I don't actually need to grab everything not nailed down, then take apart everything that is nailed down, and take the nails and 2x4s both.

e; What I really want on vehicles would be automatic water purification as long as there's dirty water in the vehicle and space in a clean water tank.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 6, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

Angry Diplomat posted:

And then do it again, but this time, by parking a vehicle full of gas-filled containers on top of a burning bit of garbage.

Don't forget the ammo!

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

Leal posted:

My favorite example of cataclysm realism is forgetting how to aim a gun after sleeping for 8 hours because the knowledge "degraded". Or how cooking over an open fire makes my dude stand open mouthed right over the fire and deeply inhales the smoke and starts coughing so hard it hurts so while purifying water I get spammed with "You got hurt, stop cooking?"

On that note, is there a mod or tweak out there that lets skill decay happen at a much slower rate? I never use it because it's annoying, but if it happened over a much longer period of time, I'd be more inclined to do it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

That's a good idea, I would like that a lot, I think.

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

I have a hippie van I was loading up with gear so I could book it back to base and have time to let my broken leg heal. Unfortunately I seem to have run down the battery so the engine won't start.

How the hell do I use my handheld batteries to charge a vehicle's batteries?

e; ahaha welp, a zombie hulk just rocked up and punched me a couple times and I had no ammo left, :rip:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 30, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

Mzbundifund posted:

Like so many things, this was deemed too fun Unrealistic, and is no longer possible in the latest version. You need either jumper cables and a nearby vehicle with charge (I think, never used jumper cables), or a charged vehicle battery and the tools to install it.

Well that explains why I have seen references to doing it but wasn't able to. Thanks for the help goons, I don't think my character had much hope anyway, but next time might go better!

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

gently caress this noise, biggest thing I built so far was a huge 10x10 monstrosity that went like 8mph and couldn't fit through most streets because of poo poo in the way. It had tank tracks instead of wheels and was functionally invincible to anything less than repeated explosives. Every possible thing was inside it, welding rig, forge, FOODCO, etc., and I had a chill room in the back for sleeping, reading, and getting high as balls on my enormous supply of weed.

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

Is it possible to change which mods are active in an ongoing game? My character's pretty tough now so I was thinking I'd throw in Fast and Tough Zombies to keep things interesting a bit longer.

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

Alright cool, I'll have a poke around and see if I can get that sorted!

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

Angry Diplomat posted:

Sorry but the best weapon in the game is bare-handed Muay Thai backed up by hydraulic muscles and a lot of drugs. Hit a Zombie Hulk with a flying knee so powerful that it slams into a wall several metres away and gibs on impact

I just got smashed into a wall by a Zombie Brute and immediately got up, cranked my Strength up as high as I could in six seconds of insanity, and hit the fucker so hard it went flying through the wall behind it.

That'll learn him.

Prick.

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

Spending so long sorting things you start getting messages about dehydration and exhaustion is The Real Cataclysm.

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

Do you know about the advanced inventory menu?

It's a useful menu,

This is incredibly true and my life changed when I discovered just how useful it is.

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

Roobanguy posted:

guns have always been a good panic option. i killed a tank on the first day with a tec9 i found on a dead drug dealer. just make sure to hit 5 to steady your aim before shooting.

I always carry one or two guns as an emergency option, but if I want a ranged character I go not-guns. The shortcomings have been well elaborated on already. I hope one day they become more viable again though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

Hate to make such a low quality post but I haven't played CDDA in about three years and suddenly I'm feeling the itch, is there a quick overview anywhere of stuff that's changed? I looked at the latest release log and there's a lot there, but I've obviously missed quite a bit before that as well.

I'm not normally averse to diving in to roguelikes and finding out the proper hard way, but I'm here to get hype for new poo poo and also try not to get caught out by old habits that might now be fatal rather than helpful.

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

Appreciate those posts, thanks goons! NPCs :aaa:

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

The best deathmobile I ever made was 7 tiles wide and 10 long. It bristled with turrets and menaced with spikes of metal, and it could push anything out of the way, or just ram right through it. :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

Motherfucker posted:

if I was gonna do ghosts they'd be there all the time but only solid and visible in darkness. But they'd be there during the daylight, blindly, invisibly and intangibly floating through stuff and existing... Would be kinda fun using your headlights to protect yourself while you raid a house or whatever or seeing them visible in the darkness of a building knowing that the whole place is gonna be fully uninhabitable at sundown.

This is some extremely cool poo poo and I would love to see it

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

I used to be hot poo poo at this game, I am not anymore :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

I am pleased to report that the good start I just had has ended because I got absolutely loving merked by a moose :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

Palcontent posted:

You can use 'C' -> yell a few times to get moose to flee. They are still comically dangerous though lol

Leal posted:

Son of a BITCH

Same reaction lmao

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

Finally had a game going that was lasting for more than the first 24 hours, over a week in, had a decent early game bit of armor and a couple of baseball bats as well as Krav Maga. Tons of food and water back home. Was out scouting for somewhere to make into a longer-term base. Got into a big fight. I was doing just fine, minor damage taken, lots dished out, dead zeds everywhere.

Ran out of stamina.

loving wrecked :negative:

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

Yeah I was just bitching about my own stupidity in getting wrecked by running out of breath, but stamina does need another pass, and some way to change your stamina capacity and suchlike. At game start a total goon should be less fit than someone in the military, as a rule, but either way after you've been surviving in the apocalypse for weeks and months you'd more or less have to live in a specific and deliberate way (Or have various illnesses) to not have your stamina increase significantly.

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

Just stumbled across somewhere apparently pretty hot so couple of quick questions:

A) How is Prussian Blue best used? Do I want to just down all the pills I have at once or am I better off spacing it out?

B) Where the gently caress did I leave my geiger counter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

No matter who I become

Palcontent posted:

If you find the geiger counter don't expect the monitoring setting to warn you about radiation or anything. Found that out the hard way.

Well that seems... useless :thunkher:

The Lone Badger posted:

1-3 pills, then wait for the status effect to go away, then take more.

Thanks! I probably can't get rid of this before it kills me but I'll ganbatte!