Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I got this game to kill time at work, and I gotta say after a bunch of failed starts thanks to tough zombies: molotov cocktails, where have you been all my Cataclysm life? :flame:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh man, there were two zombie hulks :stare:

I know about smashing corpses so they won't get back up, but I don't think bashing these guys with a crowbar is going to do any good. Will leaving them on a burning tile (small fire) be enough fuel for the flames to keep them down and out, or am I going to have to drag some furniture out into the street and start another inferno?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Strumpie posted:

Using 's' will be fine, once a corpse is pulped it will not reanimate.
You can burn their corpses as well if you really want to, with the one press to pulp burning mass piles isn't as attractive as it used to be.

That's the thing though: I can pulp ordinary zeds in two or three whacks, but not these hulks. I think the game actually factors in their body mass of 400~ pounds, which is both awesome and terrifying.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

nftyw posted:

I downloaded the lastest nightly build, and was going pretty well with my detoxed prostitute when I made a stone hammer and then tried to deconstruct one of the benches in the shelter and the game just disappeared. Shut down, gone, along with much of my progress. :cry:

I got that too as suggested by Strumpie, and I get crashes whenever I do anything with the construction menu.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Do corpses rot? The Cataclysm wiki is out of date, but it says that you don't have to butcher animal corpses if you're not hungry since they won't rot.

Otherwise, I'm hoping I can get some charcoal since I got a lot of meat waiting.

vvv: Alright, time to make some charcoal then! ...once I figure out how to.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 15, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Had a bug (in 0.8) -- I hallucinated some kind of monster that left a sludge trail, but when I stopped hallucinating the sludge trail was still there.

Is there any way to clean up liquids / trails like that?

Was it really a hallucination? :iiam:

Anyway, I thought I finally managed to wean myself off my usual packrat mentality by only looting food, resources like thread, and new tools/equipment from my scavenging runs in town. Clearly this wasn't the case, judging by the long-rear end list of drinks and rotting food in my shelter :doh:

Are items "created" only when their map square is revealed? That's how you determine whether something's about to spoil, right? It's a good thing I'm on the cusp of self-sufficiency because all that food in town is probably going to be gone when I get to them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Strumpie posted:

Items are created when you get close to an unvisited tile, not at the start of the game. They have an internal spoil timer that then decides if they're rotten or not, so if it's weeks into the game and you find milk in a newly generated area it says to itself 'this milk is weeks old' and so it's rotten.

Slime trails will slowly go away on their own, and yes mops clean up things nicely if you're that bothered. Towels can be used to dry yourself, that's pretty obvious but so is the mop.

So in game terms it still works just like Inadequately described it? Eventually all food that can spoil will do so on the map?

And I didn't know about the towel thing too :negative:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
There were land mines all over this intersection, a poo poo-ton of zombies, and a house swarming with giant loving black widows. I held off the dead through a window with sporadic explosions in the background, and I got so pumped up I went and cracked the house open. The spiders spilled out to kill the poo poo out of me, but my dude was freaking out with his axe so hard and there were still some mines left over that I managed to actually win and even force the surviving black widows to back off.

Giant black widows, running away from a man screaming and waving a two-handed axe in the midst of a half-exploded street choked with re-killed zombies.

EDIT: I chased them back into their house, cornered them, and brutally murdered the survivors. It's like a slasher movie gone horribly right. Final count is at a dozen giant black widows and about two dozen assorted deadheads.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 16, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
How do you guys like your guns? I want to try out bows on this character, but apparently they're more suited to medium-range fighting than sniping, so I'll get a nice sniper rifle for that. Rifles seem to have gotten more love in terms of variety and modifications too.

What about the rest of the guns, though? I remember reading about how handguns don't live up to their potential with how the game models combat and shotguns cause more trouble than they can solve thanks to their noise. Are SMGs worth holding on to even with good melee weapons?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is there a guide to reloading mechanics in this game? I'm surprised at how loaded some basements are with ammo and guns, and I'm wondering if you can actually convert everything you find to your preferred caliber with enough skill and tools.

BTW, I'm hoping the devs are crazy enough to try and jury-rig the vehicle system into a gunsmithing system. Build a crossbow that shoots bundles of pointy sticks like a medieval shotgun, a railgun that uses BBs to insta-kill zombie hulks, etc.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The two main tools you need for ammunition work are a hand press & die set, and a kinetic bullet puller. The former for loading, the latter for unloading.

You can disassemble ammunition with the bullet puller, and it gives you the components, then, as you level up marksmanship, you gain access to new types of ammunition you can make, using the hand press and usually some combination of primers, casings, gunpowder, and lead.

You can also create those components using things like copper tubing, a variety of chemicals, and bits of scrap steel. That will generally use fabrication, cooking, and mechanics (I think).

I should point out that you can already build a wide variety of guns and crossbows firing a variety of ammunition in a variety of manners, from railguns, to pneumatic guns, to firearms, to laser guns, to electrical arc rifles, so you can probably get plenty of fun things already if you want that sort of thing.

Can you convert primers to other primer types and smelt casings down into raw material, though? That's one thing that bothered me about New Vegas' reloading system, though rope kid did a fantastic job with it nonetheless.

And yeah, there's some cool poo poo there in the recipes. Still, I was surprised that you couldn't disassemble weaponry considering the surprising amount you can find at times; seeing the vehicle system kinda got my expectations up a bit, heh :shobon:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm surprised at how survivable you can get with a set of reinforced clothes. It doesn't even have to be leather; a cotton trenchcoat can tank like a champ against ordinary zeds.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Does the map go on forever? One setting I changed for world generation was setting city size a notch or two down, and it's kinda cool wandering from hamlet to hamlet with the occasional town. Can I wander the post-apocalyptic wastes and continuously find new places to die horribly in?

vvv: Awesome, thanks!

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 19, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Spaceking posted:

On the issue of farming and corruption creep, I wonder if we'll be seeing any crops specific to a kind of biome? Not in the sense of being able to grow some vegetables in ground lacking/having a surplus of water like a swamp or desert (though that could certainly be an issue). I mean like having your base overcome by fungal terrain and having to switch from carrots to mushrooms and lichen. Or if the ground gets all demonic and stuff your potatoes become... evil potatoes?

Dilute fungicide in a jerrycan of water, rig it to a flamethrower, and spray the fungi away!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Is that a suggestion or can you actually do that? Because that would be kinda awesome.

Suggestion, but drat if it doesn't make a badass case for customizable firearms!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm watching Giant Bomb's Quick Look of Dead Rising 3, and there's a motorcycle with a steamroller strapped to its front and two flamethrowers on either side of the roller. The fact that I can get two out of three of that done in Cataclysm is fantastic for a game that isn't getting bankrolled by a major company.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Jonny Retro posted:

If I were going separate nutrition from hunger I'd keep it simple. Junk food gives bad nutrition, veggies gives positive nutrition, meat gives a neutral amount and you can use vitamins to stabilize your nutrition at a neutral amount. Poor nutrition gives you a minor speed hit (out of shape) and mild disease weakness, and good nutrition gives a buff to both.

I really like this suggestion; namely because vitamins aren't worth anything right now and veggies aren't even worth except for making sandwiches and burgers, which are kings of food morale.

Really though, what I want most right now is a refrigerating system so it's worth cooking your food into appetizing stuff that doesn't necessarily keep for long in normal conditions. You know, even basic stuff like food kept underground lasts longer. I take Gourmand at game start now just so no food goes to waste towards keeping me alive and increasing skill gain.

vvv: dogg you are a ballleeeeeeer

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 25, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Anticheese posted:

Maybe some day the liquid system will actually work for filling up pits and such. Who else wants a moat full of booze?

Follow-up: The brewing recipes really, really need to have a way for making booze from scratch.

Dev team, this is your chance to beat Toady to the punch in having booze-filled moats. Carpe diem

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I just think of survivor suits as high-end STALKER suits. What you do here is make a recipe that turns plate armor into power armor.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Strumpie posted:

A good example would be the survival gear has its own idea of balance that is fine on its own, but is completely out of whack with every other piece of armour. I don't think it all needs to be homogenised but protection values and encumbrance certainly need to be brought into a more competitive balance since survival gear in particular is 'best' once you can choose between items.

Survivor armor is a perfect fit for high-tier armor, with like power armor for end-game stuff. Itemization like that is really engaging for me since it gives me a goal to strive for when advancing a skill; otherwise, I'd just stop at Tailoring 4 or whatever since that's good enough for reinforcing and repair needs.

Likewise, more weapons and armor that scales up with skill requirements and resource costs would be fantastic. When I took Archery for one of my weapon skills, I was expecting some crazy telescoping mecha-bow like Hawkeye or whatever would use for my final weapon. Instead, high Archery actually gives you a rifle weapon in conjunction with Mechanics. It's cool as poo poo, mind you, but a recurve reflex bow is rather ordinary fare.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Infinite Monkeys posted:

What's the easiest way to get up tailoring and fabrication? I don't seem to have enough materials to just make loads of one thing. Also do harder recipes give more xp?

Both are actually pretty easy:

- For tailoring, just get some thread (eventually you'll build up a supply just by raiding houses) and a sewing kit (or bone needle, that's survival) and try and fix/upgrade the heaps of ruined clothing you get from killing zeds. Eventually you can make socks bandanas, which are dirt cheap in terms of both rags and thread. If you need rags, cut up clothes or break a window and cut the sheet it drops.

- For fabrication, break wooden stuff or go into a forest, make pointy sticks forever.

vvv: Oh yeah, bandanas are the most cost-effective ones to make for tailoring. Go with his suggestion.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 29, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Nomikos posted:

Something is a little wrong with the game mechanics when wearing steeltoed boots without socks lets you move more easily than with socks.

That's an intriguing concept: equipment that's meant to improve encumbrance. Socks and boots for example, power armor managing weight distribution so you can maneuver well despite being in an electronic suit of armor, and maybe don't wear a leather trenchcoat without anything under it unless you're a half-demon or something...

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 30, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Anticheese posted:

Make a blowgun and fire at some wildlife. They're so useless and they shoot so quick you'll train it really drat quick! :haw:

Also, apparently leaping cougars can phase through walls. Who knew?

One time I woke up with a loving cougar trying to claw my face off in an emergency shelter. At first I thought it was this, and then later onwards I learned that the spawning system occasionally goes haywire. Now I don't know what to think.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

So I need this:
code:
 |
WGGGGGW
W|    W
?

I read about this and apparently you'll want to leave some space for the ropes like this:

code:

|
WWGGGGWW
W|     W
And if there's one feature I'd like that can hopefully be done on the quick, it'd be mass-unloading so I can get all this rotten crap out of their bottles in one go.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Gourmand is hilarious: I'm running around town while chomping down on burgers and drinking all the juice, getting chased by a swarm of zombies, and power-leveling my melee skills thanks to the bonus morale. I'm practically in Dead Rising!

As fun as it is, it did remind me of one thing in Project Zomboid that I hope would make its way into this game: water and power will keep working for a limited amount of time after game start, and so fridges and whatnot will keep functioning until the utilities give. It would probably make things too easy with the current difficulty right now, but when everything gets rebalanced and mobile bases become much more difficult to get, it would make fortifying an urban location a much more attractive prospect.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So is there anything particularly in regional schools? I'm trying to figure out a way to kill off the hundred or so child zombies in one without collapsing into a guilty, child-murdering mess or razing the entire drat thing to the ground with a careless molotov toss.

Also, I'm probably on a watchlist now for typing this post.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I found firing an anti-tank rocket into the middle of the horde did quite a good job of thinning it out. I didn't die of guilt either, apparently my chap though disintegrating a horde of zombie children was pretty cool.

Didn't have that sort of firepower, but Inadequately did remind me that I had just picked up a turret right before rolling up on the school.

I think I just had my second Cataclysm moment as the turret endlessly fired into a swarm of undead children, just all mowing them down while my dude didn't even feel a thing about it. That is some stone cold post-apocalyptic poo poo right there.

Unfortunately, there wasn't any mutagen in the school, but it did have a lot of ingredients in the cafeteria (day 6, most good food was rotten) and, rather prominently, an entrance hallway full of rotting corpses. Time to torch this place; it's probably got some bad loving mojo from all that crazy poo poo that just happened.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Is it possible to use a vehicle battery to charge / run tools? I'm running through my battery stockpile way too fast using this welder.

I've seen welding rigs in garages. I was thinking you're supposed to rip the welder part off, attach it to your vehicle, and then use the vehicle's battery charge to weld stuff.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Edit: Did the acid rain dissolve my gallon jugs? I left them outside under some funnels, and now they're gone.

If you left it on a concrete surface, the acid rain may have spawned an acid puddle on the tile, which will melt anything on it. Best to leave funnels on dirt or grass.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Ah, OK. How do I get the funnels back after placing them?

Edit: I guess I should probably park my car on dirt too?

"e" the funnel, it'll prompt you to disarm it like a trap. Cars are okay to park on concrete; items are what you should look out for.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Doug Lombardi posted:

I only have Rat mutations and I have all of them, I want to know if a weird interaction has happened with Ratting that pushed the mutation tendency value to unexpectedly high levels.

Don't you get more likely to receive mutations from the same "family" once you get one?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Speaking of which, I found it hilarious how two V12 engines can not only get your killdozer flying down the highway, but also deafen the poo poo out of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'd build a Baneblade.