Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

So apparently a knife on a stick is hilariously effective at slaughtering basic zombies, especially if you're quick. I'm sure it won't hold up to tougher enemies though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

So apparently Mi-Go's really aren't that tough! I just stabbed one to death with a knife spear and only had to dodge one attack.

Ignore the fact that I got a couple of criticals and that my melee/piercing weapons skills are at 5 each.

But yeah, this knife spear has been doing real work for me - it seems to do a shitton of damage, and the reach on it is fantastic for kiting backwards with quick +fleet footed. One of these days I'll upgrade to a stronger weapon, but I still haven't found a welder, and although I did find the integrated toolset CBM, I haven't found a power source.

By the way, I found a room in a lab that mentioned a cache of CBMs, but all it is is two computers next to a sealed countertop behind reinforced glass. I hacked into the computers, checked the manifest, and then told it to open, but there were no CBMs. Where are they, or is it just a red herring?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Labs can have multiple small CBM rooms; it's probably not even worth setting off the alarm to open one if you look through the glass and see no CBMs in those particular chambers. I'm not sure how accurate the manifests are, but I assume they list the shared or possible contents of all CBM rooms in a given lab.

Ah, cool. I savescummed to check, and nothing was there. The glass didn't even open up when I passed the check - I had to sledgehammer it down.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Finally grabbed a combination of power storage, torsion ratchet system, and integrated toolset CBMs. It's a great combination, and makes me want to start as a bionic prepper in the future. I was stumped on finding a welder (cleaned out two home improvement stores - no dice) and unfortunately didn't realize that I could build a makeshift welder until later. On the bright side, now that I'm transitioning towards a sustainable van, I tossed rechargeable batteries into the welders, which should let me slice up and repurpose vehicles even more easily now that I'm no longer running around quite so much.

What other CBMs are useful to manage power with? Solar cells seem to do almost nothing. I have blueprints for internal reactors that run off of plutonium, but I'm not sure how sustainable that is (I also have a blueprint that stops the radiation leak, supposedly, as well as something that helps with plutonium extraction).

Also, how can I run external devices on my own internal power supply?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Yeah, after I found my 9th set of power armor, I just cheated in a helmet. It's a bit absurd that helmets are apparently that rare, or that I'm just that unlucky with the RNG.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

palamedes posted:

If I die in one more turret incident I will build a windowless battlepod with security cameras and an enormous armored ram-phallus.

Make sure that you aren't exposed when the vehicle turns! I made that mistake and paid for it a couple of times.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

bitcoin bastard posted:

This helps a little, thanks!

Use shift-r instead. R resets most menu things like that in the game.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

palamedes posted:

Welp never plan on shooting your way through a vault unless you're very rich in ammo. I gave up on the shotgun approach after 250 shells lightly dented the zombie infestation.

Yeah, vaults are just stupid right now. They're not really a threat as long as you're wearing decent armor, and there are just too many enemies. On top of that, all the zombies break all of the furniture, so you can't even see half of the setpieces before they're torn apart, and you have to bring a torch or pickaxe to get around since they wreck the door levers too.

Really not a fan of vaults right now, even though in theory they're pretty cool. They need fewer zombies, and much more variety of zombies so that they can be actually interesting.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Anticheese posted:

Giant worms are amazing. They can plough a giant field in under an hour of running around, and it's a drat shame that no one has implemented livestock or taming yet.

To be fair, applying a hoe tills a field square in under a minute. Tilling the same square with a shovel requires a half hour. Cataclysm is a bit silly sometimes.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Nope, you have to increase your skills before you can learn the other recipes.

To build on this, rarely do you need to raise the skill the book teaches. Usually you need to raise a different skill instead.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

You can also wear heavy armor and stand at maximum range from the turret at night. It's unlikely to kill you in one salvo, and you can always back up and heal. It's incredibly risky, but with sufficient armor, it usually works.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

How did this work?

If a part was attached to something ahead of and behind it, it could not break off, since that would turn one vehicle into two vehicles. You could encase a vehicle in a cage of wire such that what you were ramming things with was invincible because the game wouldn't let it break off.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

coyo7e posted:

I got what I thought would be a brilliant start - big gas station full of potato chips near shelter, hotel off in the boonies, a big town full of grocery stores and poo poo, and a suburban neighborhood well away from the city... Found a leather biking suit and motorcycle helmet, but I cannot stop vomiting.. It's been like 3 days and I just puke within an hour or two of eating or drinking anything. HALP!

Also where do I get "Nomex" from? I wanna repair my suit :(

Did you drink the toilet water without boiling it? Make sure you cook or clean anything you're gonna eat.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

coyo7e posted:

how many points of cooking does it take to boil water? argh

You need to be near a heat source and have something with the boiling quality, like a pot or even a tin can in a pinch. Start a small fire with a lighter and cook on that.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

coyo7e posted:

to reiterate I still have trouble seeing enough to do my poo poo in the dark, how many lightstrips does it take to light up a room? I mean I have lighting theory class next semester but this poo poo is reminding me of just how much effort it used to take to get a few minutes of piddly light back in the iron age.. :laugh:

No idea about light strips, but if you hop into a car and turn on the dome light you can read by it and it lasts a really long time. You can also siphon out gas and refuel the car to run the engine for a while to recharge the battery. If you can find a solar car, you should be able to run the light indefinitely.

The light is attached to the vehicle controls iirc, so you can also make a small "vehicle" that is nothing more than a frame, controls, and battery for a light.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

girth brooks part 2 posted:

drat, you aren't kidding about prison starts being rough.

You solved the lighting issue!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

mormonpartyboat posted:

now they need to get rid of the driving skill

But how else will you golf effectively?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

The best way to do it I think is to make a varied diet a buff instead of a debuff. Make the player actively want to seek out different types of food for a bonus of some sort, whether that be a morale bonus, a skill learning bonus, or something else entirely. Chasing a buff feels better than staving off a debuff even if the math works out to be almost the same in the end.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Being a big weeb is a vital component of surviving the apocalypse.

All you need is your hanzo steel for defence, your dakimakura with the massive oppai for companionship, your extensive collection of original run mangas for entertainment and to preserve the finest arts of humanity for future civilizations to appreciate, and your enormous hoard of pocky and ramen to sustain you.

Actually why isn't that a trait? Weeb: Refuses to use any weapons other than japanese ones but gets +2 to hit with them, can only eat junk food, can only read comics for entertainment but gains double morale from them, gains a morale boost from carrying pillows.

Do the pillows get dirtier faster?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

zedprime posted:

The (original) Xcom method of gun firing is so venerable as to be derived from the actual literal grognard standard for dispersal. It can be bullet science if you want it, and in simulation engines like ARMA or whatever should be more complicated since there is an aspect of animating out the bullet. But its turn based, you get to cheat and trace paths beforehand and poo poo. The preponderance on first principles is total sim chaff and well into the territory of funner to design and program than to play with.

Ultimately, the backend doesn't matter as long as the player knows what the %chance to hit is. I'm in favor of bullets traveling further and impacting on things behind the target because the potential for shenanigans is much higher, especially with explosives.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Coolguye posted:

1. Make a storytelling machine
Cataclysm, even as it stands, is great at telling stories. The primary goal should be to make it even better at that. Consequently, things that get in the way of telling stories (such as inventory, obtuse combat, and fiddly simulation aspects) should be removed where found and not implemented where suggested. Things that allow better stories to be told should be encouraged and prioritized. The greatest way to advocate for a feature is to talk about the stories it will enable.

What type of stories are you looking for, and what do you want to enable? This will run into issues when one person creates comedic stories where someone else wants drama, where someone else wants action, etc. There needs to be some sort of tone set by the game that is coherent and consistent across descriptions; having some item descriptions or monsters be wacky while others are ultra-serious can undermine what you're trying to get across.

This ties in a bit to what tooterfish is bringing up - getting rid of something like thirst eliminates a lot of the "I'm running out of water and need to quickly find more" sort of stories. Adding the zombie hordes as they are currently implemented makes the game a lot more tense in terms of making noise, but that also precludes making a Mad Maxesque deathmobile and ghost riding it into a crowd of zombies.

I like this goal, and I would encourage you and the team to discuss what your vision for the types of stories you're looking for are in more detail. I'd also like to see as an action item in the far future, mods that change the story aspects. For instance, a start where the player is in the desert instead of in the northeast, would be far more focused on food and water and would be more of a tense resource gathering scenario where thirst is absolutely warranted as a mechanic, while the default start has such abundant water that it might not be helpful.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

silentsnack posted:

Thirst and all the stupid random diseases/parasites are fine if you like what they add to the game, but for anyone who doesn't it's boring and needlessly distracting to have so much extra meaningless-annoying-poo poo-to-do that it takes a checklist to keep track of it. People complain about those mechanics because (subjectively) they generally annoying and not fun or interesting. Generally either you plan ahead and avoid them entirely, or they hit you with a stat debuff at the worst possible time and suddenly it's an unavoidable game over.

But if you think those features do add some value as ~verisimilitude~ or whatever you want to call it, maybe they could be rolled into an options/mod so not everyone is forced to wear a gas mask to avoid getting the flu and always carry a grappling hook in case of sinkholes or all the other stupid bullshit that requires reading spoilers to avoid getting crippled/killed in boring and pointless ways. Dying and unexpected challenges should at least be funny or exciting.

So basically: don't eliminate all of the tedious grindy poo poo, but also don't keep the buttfucked-to-death-by-the-RNG mechanics the same, as they currently force you to grind-or-die which is a boring false choice... make it a set of options, with some further optional challenges to make survival aspects even harder for the nerds who are into that kind of thing (nerf foraging, 98% of 'scrap metal' actually ends up being useless junk, etc.) Bonus points if you call it the Immersive HD Hardcore Survival Grog Mod and add a random chance of accidentally drowning when drinking, that instantly kills the player/NPC. :v:

The point that I'm trying to make is that thirst as a mechanic can generate stories (though, obviously, it's much more relevant to a desert start than an area of the country with an overabundance of water). If thirst doesn't generate stories in whatever scenario the game goes with, then absolutely get rid of it!

For me, personally, I really enjoyed the book My Side of the Mountain growing up, and so I always enjoy setting up a camp and gathering food/water/etc. It's neat to carve out a little spot of existence and become self-sufficient. That sort of gameplay though is at odds with charging into zombies to try to resupply as the character is desperately seeking goods to keep going, which is also at odds with a game where supplies are a secondary concern and awesome zombie smashing is the primary concern.

Stories are a great thing to go for, but one set of gameplay mechanisms can't cover all of the bases for different types of post-apocalyptic stories. Some things are going to have to be cut to home in on and create a focused and enjoyable experience.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

silentsnack posted:

Which is why I said make it optional: if the game/simulation is a storytelling device, let the player decide what kind of story they're telling.

If they want a survival story where the world itself is an adversary that poses a real threat, they should be able to get mechanics to support that story with a survival mod.

If they want to bypass all the boring survival grind to have an action/adventure/zany-comedy story, they should have the option of a mod that makes weak/silly/improvised weapons oneshot random Z enemies, and starvation/thirst isn't a serious issue but food items make for a good joke.

If they want to McGuyver their way out of insane situations, buff zombies but make barricading a room and crafting non-scifi stuff almost instant and add all kinds of improv tools to make.

We are in agreement.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Slime posted:

Boiling water is essentially a timesink.

This reminds me, how possible would it be to get some cooking/crafting to work the way Unreal World does it, where you set up the food to be cooked and then come back to it later?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Marenghi posted:

I always thought of the storage battery as a car battery you can slot into a microwave sized slot for electric cars and RVs. The setting of the game always gave me the impression it's the near future.

Looking at the wiki the swappable case 1 Kg and the storage battery is 23 Kg, seems like that agrees with it being something you slot in by hand. I don't think you need a hoist to lift an item of that weight.

So given that the strength requirement for installing/removing parts is based on the object's weight, does that mean that the dev team believes that you need to be some sort of strongman competition winner to life ~50lbs with two hands?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Oh my god yes. I had a fortunate run way back when where I found a fully stocked library on night 2. Dragged 2 full duffel bags of books back to my basement hideout and emerged the smartest guy in the post apoc.

Books are one of my biggest criticisms of this game - it's very difficult to level up skills without them, and with them it's absolutely trivial. I feel like there needs to be some sort of middle ground where books are valuable, but aren't the thing that basically determine how high your skills will be.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Peachfart posted:

You tell me.

Hope you like sitting around for a few weeks(that take 6 times as long with the timing changes) if a zombie damages you slightly.

It's one of those kind of silly/annoying things - if the game is a grittier survival sim, then taking damage puts a strain on your food/water supply, which is a good thing. If it's more of an arcade-style run around and have fun in the apocalypse killing things, it's a really bad change. Either way, passing time isn't something trivial to do, as managing the food/water supply and reading or whatever requires micro, and you can't just queue up some basic activities for a week to heal up to full.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

taqueso posted:

When does flatulence simulation land?

On the 13th space station.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Sure but to get that string I need to go back into zombie areas again and I don't think I'm in the shape for that right now. Still in mild pain, focus constantly below 50, unhappy, missing a health bar on every limb. Just seems like I should keep it safe for

Just about every window has curtains. You can get string and sheets from those for an easy source of rags and thread. The emergency shelter has curtain on every window if I remember correctly, and that can be a helpful source of early game materials. It does make you slightly more vulnerable to things spotting you through the windows, but that's not a terrible tradeoff.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Leal posted:

So lockpicking is its own skill now and so far a single pick (and destroying it) I got 8% of a level. And there are no books. This is why I got a halligan bar.

It's also frustrating because that used to be a way to train up mechanics if I remember correctly.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

:hai:

Drive into the middle of the city and fire off the loudest gun or bomb you have. :getin:

e; How can I get my fat rear end to lose some weight. (And in game)

I'm reminded of people advising looting a house and then setting it on fire. The house on fire would start collapsing, which makes huge amounts of noise and draws in zombies. This means you could go in a different direction and be relatively safe.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

A White Guy posted:

38 days of fasting later, my goon has gone from morbidly obese to very obese. So, uh, it's possible to lose weight, it just takes literally eating nothing but water and vitamins for weeks on end.

It's kind of funny - so many things are (thankfully) sped up so that one in-game day represents more than one "real" day of needs for the survivor, but then you get poo poo like this.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Arven posted:

See, I don't think that is their intention at all. Nothing is supposed to be sped up to represent more than one real day. If any of the Devs ever actually sit down and try to sew something IRL the game will become uplayable.

It might not be their intention, but going from having absolutely 0 experience in doing something to being a master in the craft in a couple of weeks because you have an instruction manual is insane. It's great for the game, but doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless the time scale is compressed.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Nevets posted:

It used to be. I think the old default was either 14 or 30 days / season. Now that it's 'real time' I wouldn't be surprised if they start monkeying with existing systems to make them fall in line. Get ready for a 'cramming' debuff that takes your booklearning rate down to 5% for a week every time you skill up from reading.

Huh, I missed this change. That explains a lot. The timescale on a game like this is weird - you want it to be real time (or slower, potentially, with the right boosting stuff) for combat, but then you want downtime between raids and fights to be slow so that you burn your supplies, which forces you to go back out and raid again.

I liked the compressed timescale for this reason. Supplies never quite ran short though, so it's one of those odd things where the balance still needs some tweaking.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Inadequately posted:

I'm kind of surprised there was a surge of interest earlier this year, really, given that pretty much every update changed the game for the worse. I still pick up this game from time to time, but I play with an older version that's at least a couple of years out of date at this point. Hated basically every change I've seen since then, so I don't think I'm really missing out on anything.

For some reason a bleak apocalypse brought on by a disease is relatable to current events.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Slaapaav posted:

golf bags are really nice but they can have max item length of 59 inches so you cant carry a mop because those are 59 :(

i can carry my katana, AR, elephant gun, battle rifle and shotgun in it at the same time but it cant fit a loving mop

list of items i didnt expect to be op in this game:

golf bag
inline skates
mop
towel
curtains (most op item in the game imho, gives you all the components needed to craft a mop or towel )

Gotta ask, why a mop? Is it a weapon, or is there some interaction I'm not seeing?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Possibly involving building a decataclysmator from various scientific gubbins then having to defend it against waves of attackers for (x) days. Gives a purpose to your base full of armed survivors and rings of static defences, or alternatively you can try to go mobile and stay ahead of everything coming to kill you while the timer ticks down.

Would be kind of neat to have a device that eliminates the threat in a small area (maybe a 4x4 grid of map tiles). That way you can carve out areas of the map to slowly make the world more inhabitable and allow people to live in peace. Of course, you can then scale up the zombies as well, as they start to feel more and more threatened by the no-go zones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Slaapaav posted:

qud does fluids extremely well imho. you can mix them on purpose or by accident and mostly get results that make intuitive sense. i have never played any other game that comes close to caring as much about that kinda stuff like qud does!

Space Station 13.