Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Strudel Man posted:

Man, most artifacts are just crap. I'm savescumming the one temple I've been able to open, and I wouldn't even consider using the majority of what spawns.

For example: The Helm of Bloody Evil. A three-percent coverage helmet that gives, at the very least, -3 strength and dexterity, and afflicts me with radiation. I guess there's a chance that it could put out fires or sap life or something, but seriously, I would have to be insane to use it.

I farmed one of those amigara horror mines once, out of what felt like a hundred artifacts, I only found one that was even a little bit useful. Just a cube that let me see through walls when I held it, but at the cost of -3 dex. All artifacts suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

The RECAPITATOR posted:

I'm wondering if this is because my character is Schizophrenic, or because the game knows something I don't?

Wow how do you have a tileset?

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

esquilax posted:

Cataclysm has tiles by default now. That was one of the main purposes of the kickstarter a few months ago.

Oh my gosh I didn't know. It's in the options I presume?? I'm so used to the ascii set like I am for dwarf fortress, but I could get used to a tileset for this game.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Strumpie posted:

Pretty sure they're on by default so not sure how you missed it.
But yeah, you'll see Tiles in the options and can also toggle them in game. The support for them is still a bit behind but it's coming along.

Nah, can't be on by default, I got the latest version about a week ago and I've been playing it again.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Turtlicious posted:

SDL or Curses?

Not sure, I just picked it up from the cataclysmDDA website

e. found the tileset on the options. I'll figure out how to get an SDL build.

What does the black road option do?

Kayle7 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 22, 2013

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
DejaVuSansMono font, 100 X 65 Y. Basically full screen, square font. Use this it's really good

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Cataclysm, or how I learned to stop worrying and love the atomic coffee

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Just digging this game a lot. You can't play fast enough to keep up with the little content additions. By the time I end-game it and take a break for a while, there's so much more added that it's a whole different playthrough.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
I'm sure this has been posted before, but I didn't see it in the OP

http://cdda-trunk.estilofusion.com/

This is a pretty sweet item browser, now you'll know exactly what any item can be used for! It doesn't include stuff from the optional mods like vehicle addition pack and such, but it has mostly everything.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Is it possible for a lab to spawn without a finale? I've found two separate staircases to the lowest-so-far level of this one, but both of them lead to dead-end rooms with no exits. Is that just the end of the lab or should I come back with some way to bust down concrete and look for more?

Haven't seen it posted yet, but I've encountered this before and found the solution. I've found that RARELY, some labs can screw up their room generation so that the finale is still on the bottom floor, just completely inaccessible from any other point in the lab. The only way to get to it is to jackhammer, usually just a few diagonal walls, right in. No way for you to know which way to go unless you look through walls with the debug commands for a while.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Moridin920 posted:

Maybe it's the vehicle parts mod packaged with the release that I am using but I definitely have a curtain over my windshield that I close whenever I'm not driving.

Also I think you can stick a camera to the outside and not even have a windshield and just drive using the camera? Dunno about that haven't tried it but I feel like I saw a post somewhere on the DDA forums of someone doing that.

I've done that! The camera gives you a limited view range, I didn't count but I"d say around 40 tiles view range, amounts to around half of your screen. Zombies however have no clue what's going on if they can't see or smell you. They'll come towards the sound, but if you use an electric engine then there isn't much sound to come to.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Moridin920 posted:

I have a repurposed APC that I stripped the gas engine out of and replaced with a large electric engine... I still have that tiny windshield but I guess I may as well replace that poo poo with more plating and install cameras. The limited view range is too bad but I feel pretty limited with my 1 tile windshield anyway so it probably won't be much difference.

Thanks!

If they come towards to sound (say I run into a house or whatever) but there's no smell and they don't see me will they just go 'huh big chunk of metal' and leave it alone or will they start bashing to see what's up?

Sometimes they do start bashing it and trying to break it, the bastards! Also be sure you install a camera control system or you won't be able to see what the cameras are showing

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Artificer posted:

What do the boxing and fitness gyms have in them? I suppose brawling handbooks? Anything else?

I spotted some thanks to a lab's computer map download but it would take a bit to make my way over there.

Edit:

Oh poo poo dude. That sucks. You didnt know that would happen huh?

The machines in the gyms are really great sources of crafting materials like chains and foot cranks, best place for chains I've ever found. Sure better than the 8 hour crafting recipe for each one

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
The feeling when you get that kickass lucky game where you spawn locked in a lab but find lots of good clothes, a teleporter to get out of the concrete walls, and plenty of survival tools before you even set out to the great unknown. I really love this game. I'm sure I've sunk an easy 300+ hours into it, accumulated since before release A.whatever was a thing.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
For all you guys who play without the tileset like me, I thought I'd share my technique for getting the font displayed in the game perfectly square.

http://pastebin.com/MY9T8KJc

I've uploaded a couple data files to pastebin for you to copy and paste, but before you do be sure you download DejaVuSansMono font unless you already have it. It's all over the internet and it's free, so it shouldn't be hard to find. You'll want to go into your options and edit the height / width to something a little better than the default. I find Width: 100 and Height: 65 to be perfect.

You'll end up with a really nice clean, square game, like this:

Every tile is exactly square with every other tile. The default settings make the width seem slightly more narrow than the height, which was disorienting to me. Try this out and see if you like it.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Million Ghosts posted:

But why not use RetroDays? It's almost a text tileset with the benefit of being pretty as gently caress

Guess I'm just used to this. I've been playing with it on and off since before the tilesets even came out, it'd be weird to switch. Same reason I play dwarf fortress exclusively WITH a tileset, just because I've never tried it without one. I just thought I'd share my way with anyone else like me :)

Edit: The main reason I decided to post this is because I saw SynthOrange's screenshot!

Kayle7 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 3, 2015

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Turtlicious posted:

Just a heads up, you can change the map and overworld font, but leave the side bar font the same, that way you get the best of both worlds.

Is that the "Map_fontwidth" etc settings? Whereas the sidebar ones are the regular fontwidth settings? I was wondering about that

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
I'll have to give that a try, thank you :)

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Kinda crazy that we can't build a machine to recover hydrogen from water in this game yet, considering you can do it like it's like a high school science project with a battery and some salt.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Ahahaha holy poo poo, there are mannequins in clothing stores in the latest experimental. NPC's are always off for me so it's lonely... Time to drag them to my base, I Am Legend style. HEY FRANK, HOW YA DOING. HAHA YEP, NEITHER OF US ARE CRAZY.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
It's always possible to find a salvaged power helmet or salvaged power armor from a Zombie Paladin. They're tough as hell to kill, but once you get that drop you can add the electronics in later. It's an auto-learned recipe after you have the requisite electronics skill I think

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Experimental ALWAYS. The stable builds will crash just as much as the experimentals, but you'll only get a quarter of the content if you stick to a stable build.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

palamedes posted:

What's the best weapon you guys have put together? The lab I just finished gave me a bionic-powered laser assault rifle with an underbarrel shotgun full of explosive slugs. If the thing had ten more range I would sacrifice all my other guns to the RNG.

My WAR RIG! I repaired, and limped 3 SWAT trucks over to my home base where I had a garage type thing set up, with welders powered by solar rigs and plenty of food. I ripped them apart and turned them into a massive super rig powered by 4 diesel engines (yes, I cheated my mechanics up to install the 4th one for just a second)

By that time I had found two chain lightning CBMs, so with the vehicle additions pack I crafted some automated tesla turrets. It was unstoppable :black101:

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Some basements have permanent ceiling lighting now, sort of like the lights in the super secret Vaults. Kinda cool, wonder when that was added?

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Yep you can always use some long rope to go down and you'll be able to climb it back up easily after

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
The newest Tickle Me Elmo! Featuring head spinning and eye bleeding action, and great catch phrases such as "KILL YOUR PARENTS", and "*distant inhuman scream*"

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Alright guys! This is Homebase.

This is just a really basic rough power generation system with some tools, the same sort of thing I try to make every time I get this far in a release. It's generally what you should do after you've survived a week or so, got food, got your mechanics skill up, found tools, clothes, et cetera.

You can use vehicle construction to build yourself a system where batteries mean nothing and you have a forge, welder, fridge, and all manner of kitchen and crafting tools.

Later on you can use this to construct your War Rig, or at least an assault bike or something, that will help you go on and explore the end game. Be sure you have vehicle additions mod on whenever you try to make vehicle stuff. You'll sorely regret getting this far and NOT being able to put a homemade rail gun on the top of your DethBike

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

VStraken posted:

So regarding the little set piece part of town that has the craters full of ash:

The Vault is supposed to be packed with enemies, right? All I've run into so far are NPC soldiers and a milspec turret I blundered into. Could this have to do with the fact that some fungaloid feature is near enough to the town to mess up spawns?

When I first heard about the vault a couple months ago I got super excited for end game content I hadn't seen before, so I promptly set out to find it. This was also around the time where creatures on other Z-levels, like ones below you were finally coded to simulate actions / make noise. My theory is that the robots all kill off the irradiated wanderers and vice versa, before you can ever manage to make your way through the sewer to the super secret entrance or just mine your way down. Hope they fix that soon, but the creepy empty atmosphere of a vault is pretty cool too

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

VStraken posted:

Ah, well that bites. Was hoping for a challenge and all I've gotten so far is that milspec turret. Oh well. While we're on that topic, there's currently only 3 levels including the surface, right? The stairs I've encountered so far on the second level all give the halfway down blockage message.

Right. And I'm almost certain that this is the sort of bug / unintended consequence that it's going to be ironed out very soon. Just like The Lone Badger said about the chicken walkers, it very well could be fixed now in the latest experimental.

And yeah there's only the 3 levels, I had to know so I cheated the map full with debug commands when I first discovered it, this also reveals every Z-level on your map so I looked and sure enough, nothing at all beyond the third

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Yeah that tetanus thing was super lame, but thankfully they removed it shortly after.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
What was the gunpowder change?

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
What I always do is have a line of removable storage batteries set up and charging via solar in my home base area. By the time I've constructed a smaller War Rig precursor, some kind of explorer dethbike, I have such a hoard of fully powered batteries that a couple electric engines work fine.

After I've found the neccessary raw material to make my War Rig, I pretty much always switch to 3 or 4 gas engines. Never been able to find a minireactor or anything, but I look all the time in the Military bases. I suppose if I found one or two, I'd keep them and use electric engines

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Just checked in the latest experimental, yep a jackhammer can cut metal walls, but an acetylene torch cannot.

However an acetylene torch can cut metal doors, but a jackhammer can't!

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
I choose lab scenario very often, and I've come across the concrete wall problem in all the new releases.

The only ways I've found are:

Matchstick bombs, you'll need about 3 or 4 (matches, jars, and strings are all available in labs)
A teleporter - less rare than you'd think, and by far the easiest way
Dynamite - you need about 2 or 3 sticks, now that it's nerfed
And yeah, the sonic resonator CBM, but these are extremely rare anywhere outside of Mines, even rare in labs.

Weirdly enough, I don't know if it's been changed in the latest releases, but recently I've found "Jacqueshammers" many times in labs. No gas though, so this is not an option. Lemme know if you guys have discovered other ways besides the ones I know of though

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

SynthOrange posted:

What do you do with the teleporters, do you just have to start with high traps?

That's one way to get them, yes, disassembling a teleporter trap. But you can also find just plain teleporters in those crate rooms. Fairly often, too.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
The good thing about the teleporter is that it takes exactly 0 action points, so you can spam it as much as you want, as long as you don't move or anything, nothing else can attack until you're where you want to be. Watch out for teleporter sickness though... it's not good. Keep a royal jelly with you to cure it

Man, I love this game. I must have put more hours into this game than any of the stuff I've payed money for on steam.

Kayle7 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 13, 2015

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Mystery Machine posted:

Had my first pretty successful run of this this weekend.

Rolled a high dexterity and perception character, gathered a bunch of rocks, trained to level 1 throwing, and stormed a mansion. I got lucky and there were no special zombies, so I got to use a bunch zombie's heads for target practice. By the time I had cleared the place out, I had 8 throwing, some knives, and a nice stash of food. I kept exploring around, grabbing what I could find until I found a boarded up farmhouse. I filled up a bunch of water, and started producing clean water. Found some lawn darts, which I was chucking at woodland creatures for meat. I thought I'd probably stick around for a good bit. I wake up the next day, and find an armed soldier in the woods. She tells me to clear out. I start walking up, and she starts shooting at me. I run until she's out of sight, and walk home to disinfect my wound. I walk out of the house through the backdoor, and she's RIGHT THERE, waiting for me. Shot me dead.

I tried chucking lawn darts at her head, but apparently helmets stop the whole throwing thing in its tracks. Either way, a fun, successful run. I might do throwing again later, it seemed alright. But I'm not taking insomniac again. Not being able to sleep off nights has been pretty annoying.

NPCs are bad and not even halfway done yet, probably ought to just turn them off

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

silentsnack posted:

Just turn off skill rust; it doesn't make anything interesting and provides no benefit ever.

I agree with this 100%. I think that skill rust is one of the worst parts of this game, and should be turned off every time. All it ever amounts to in the end game is an artificial way to make crafting things take slightly longer. You might have to keep skill books for more than just recipes, or have to grind craft something up to the desired level. It's just an obnoxious time waster

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

bitcoin bastard posted:

So did I just stumble on a bug, or do I not understand how the secondary skill is supposed to work with crafting? I thought reflex recurve bow required fabrication 5 and archery 7.

E: Also holy christ skill rust really is garbage, is there any way to turn it off midgame? I'm not opposed to opening up a savefile in a text editor, I just have no idea where to look.

Yes, open the help menu with the ? key, then I believe options is 2 in that menu, then go over to debug, and switch it to off. It really is a must to turn it off, worst addition the game has ever had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Ahahaha yesss. I led a horde of zombies from a local megastore up to a fungal tower close by