Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So do turrets stay spawned once you're out of range yet?

That was the one thing I really hated about this game. I finally managed to get a set up base that was pretty much foolproof, and all of my defenses and other tweaks decided to despawn while I was out scavenging five minutes later due to me going too far away from them.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Anticheese posted:

Excise the zlave poo poo, add cool robots.

Better idea, excise the zlave poo poo, add cool pilotable robots. :hellyeah:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

PiCroft posted:

Also, cube vans ftw. My modded cube van has a kitchen unit, a mini fridge and solar panels and its gradually filling up with goodies.

I'm using an APC. It's loving hysterical.

I ripped the spare seating out and slowly managed to mod it with a battering ram on the front to do pinpoint building breaches, a kitchen unit, a fridge and a recharger to keep my repair tools stocked up, storage, extra guns at every angle, and what I assume are a set of solar panels. Then because the actual ability to see out of it is poo poo, I hooked up a drive by wire and 360 camera control system in it and closed it off entirely from access outside of the back door.

I don't even live in a home anymore. I just wander the roads in my indestructible death mobile scavenging what I need where I need it. Which isn't much since I have a set of military grade armor and a high end rifle from raiding a lab. I just need to get trained up in the use of the gun now.

I do have a question though. Is there some way to keep NPC's you recruit from dying horribly in vehicles? I've gotten like four of them now and turning inevitably causes them to ram against the interior frame. This leads to them "falling out" of the APC and inevitably dying from ramming into the APC since they count as being "under" it. Does a seat belt help? I mean, it's hard enough to get them in a seat as it is. But I was wondering if that would fix the issue. Being able to set a guard on my vehicle or raid locations in a team would make it a lot easier.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Man, I just ran into a Triffid grove, a fungal spire, a strange temple, 2 LMOEs, a group of demons, and a military turret all within like 20 squares of my spawn. I don't think I've ever died this hard before.

Still not as bad as the spawn I had before the APC run. I stepped outside of the house I started in and a shocker brute was waiting right in front of the loving door along with a small army of zombies.

What the gently caress, game? I guess this character is the game trying to apologize for that bullshit.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 5, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So the rifle you get when starting as a bionic sniper is hilarious.

The thing's basically an anti-tank rifle. I'm killing zombies in one shot with it at supremely long ranges. Anything less than the size of a human gets splattered into extra meat chunks as well, allowing me to butcher the corpse for extra food.

The only problem is finding more ammo. But that's what fabrication is for.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Does turning on wander spawns respawn zombies?

I like the idea of hordes, but not if it's just going to make towns unclearable.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So I chucked an incendiary out of the exit from a LMOE to help clear out a zombie horde assaulting the building. This had an interesting series of results:

1. Closing the door prior to the grenade going off did nothing to stop the flames from coming inside. What's worse, apparently the loving air ignited inside the room. My character wasn't killed, but they received one point of damage from the heat and their pants hilariously burned off in in a single turn.

2. After figuring that this was probably a bug, I cheated in some first aid kits to dick around. Healing myself, I went back upstairs to discover that the fire was still going several hours later.

3. Figuring that a fire going with no means to burn anything was odd, I cheated in a Rivtech power armor and toggled it on after reloading it. This gave me temporary immunity to fire since the RM-whatever armor has climate control systems and is completely closed off when turned on. Except things got odd again. I stepped into the fire to try to leave. The small fire didn't kill my character. What did was something else after that Y/N request. Do you want to step into the airborne incendiary?

This instantly killed my character. Apparently airborne incendiary is code for "can melt through steel in a heartbeat". What the hell just happened here, and how do you get past a fire that's so hot it can't even extinguish itself?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 12, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

AceRimmer posted:

Doesn't going downstairs effectively freeze time on the surface since it's then out of the reality bubble? I think you needed to hang out upstairs for a while in order to have the fire die out.

Tried that too, actually. I forgot to mention it, but I used the long range teleport to try and get out to see if it would burn out. Which was kind of necessary since my character was being burnt alive just by being in the LMOE's interior entry room. It didn't seem to effect it.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Did you try using a fire extinguisher on it?

Not really. I should have tried that. Admittedly I thought it would go out eventually. I just didn't realize it was some sort of terrifying cloud of hellfire up until my character was melted by it.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Didn't someone say that bulletin boards could help with keeping NPC's out of your way? There was a post somewhere back in the topic.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Rebuilt APC covered with autotargeting pulse turrets.

Pretty much nothing beats this. Once you have it the overworld becomes completely unthreatening.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

What sort of stuff has been added to the unstable update lately?

I ask since I know it sometimes has some lovely changes to it. Is there anything else good or bad aside from the NPC stuff?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I haven't had that issue with labs, but I have gone deaf just from wandering or driving around the city when a zombie brute somewhere manages to collapse a building. Actually, that's probably happened a few dozen times.

Do you mean "what's in unstable that isn't in stable" or "what's in unstable that wasn't in unstable a week or two ago"? Because the first list is obviously gonna be a lot longer.

What's in it that wasn't a week or two ago. Or a month really. Though that's probably a bit much to list out.

The last unstable version I played was a complete mess. I actually put down the game since NPC's were borked, making the game world feel empty of any other activity.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 22, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So how do you recruit NPC's off of a bulletin board after you send them there? Because I see no option to get them to follow me.

Actually, for that matter, how finished is the NPC stuff in relation to bulletin boards? Looks like someone on the forums was working on getting a working player faction going recently.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So why the gently caress do NPC's die when they ride in my car with me?

This was a thing in older versions, and I assumed it was due to them not having seat belts on or something. But nope, turns out that sometimes they just fly out of their seat and promptly get splattered by the vehicle ramming into them. It almost appears that they actually fell out of the car. Which is weird, since, y'know, that shouldn't be possible.

Is there any way to avoid this? I had an awesome little convoy/bandit group set up that promptly lost two of its best geared members when plowing through a zombie horde. One turn down a street later and two of them had apparently gotten out of their seats and teleported to the ground outside the car.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Galm posted:

Some vehicle parts (most of them actually) lack the "BOARDABLE" tag, so an NPC is not actually inside the vehicle.

Well that's loving stupid. :argh:

NPC's are actually really good in the unstable version. They've fixed just about every issue they had. But holy gently caress screw being mobile with them if the easiest means of travel causes them to splatter into the hull any time there's an enemy outside and you take a turn.

Appreciate the heads up though. What parts are listed with Boardable that are safe to stash NPC's on?

Edit: Also I don't know when the new flavor NPC's were added in (Hunters, mercs, brokers, etc, etc.) but they've really added a lot of atmosphere to the game in terms of gameplay. One of my characters spawned in in a cabin in the middle of the woods near a refugee center and it was a great change from the usual "scavenge, roam, get lucky or die" formula.

Every few weeks this wild man from the hills would show up at the center with stacks of furs and meats to trade for cash. Which he'd then use to supplement the supplies in his cabin. Eventually I recruited every recruitable NPC there (There were a bunch of mercs.) and we basically had our own settlement.

I think it was about an in game year before I actually had to go into a city. And by that point I had what were basically a band of post apoc raiders with me to tear poo poo up. :black101:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 28, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So someone a few pages back mentioned making diamond vehicle parts. Can someone else who has the Vehicle Additions Pack mod enabled explain how the hell this works? Because i've not found a way to get it to work yet. The spoiled stuff is pretty vague for the steps involved.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So do people typically turn skill rust off?

Because it kind of seems a bit overdone to me. I can go for a day or two without doing anything in a skill and suddenly I can't properly remember how to work on a car? That seems a bit extreme.

Edit: Also cyber psychosis would be a great way to handle CBM over usage. Especially if someone finishes up NPC's and makes them a bit more active in building communities and such in the world.

The faction and colonization system was a great idea that was basically never expounded on and seems to be primarily getting expanded on by a fairly simplistic set of mods. Which is disappointing since I was hoping the factions would have an actual dynamic presence in the world instead of just being "okay input resources here now a new location shows up".

Imagine coming across a commune of meched out survivors that intermittently go nuts and hose down the surroundings with ammo from their assault rifles fusion blasters. Or a group of raiders or travelers that show up and go nuts every now and then. Having to put down the local traveling post-apocalyptic merchant because he got too rich, bought a bunch of CBM's from another trader, and now thinks the meatbags are beneath him would be great. :getin:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 18, 2016

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Anticheese posted:

Cars will now eat a tank of gas/120kg battery down a short stretch of road because someone felt the need to completely re-do the way consumption is calculated and add in a notion of RPM and gears.

How the gently caress does shifting gears work? I have an IFV and the thing goes 14 miles per hour on a road tops.

That is not how tanks and other similar armored vehicles work. They can go faster than that!

Archonex fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 5, 2017

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

Also iirc chicken walkers loving explode when they die - like, seriously blow the gently caress up, in a way that makes exploding turrets look like soggy firecrackers - so if you blunder into one at close range and can't lose it by escaping into a forest/the alleys/the dark of night, you're pretty much gonna die and that's that on that :rip:

What's extra fun is coming across one at a barricade going around a blind corner when driving.

Hope you remembered to plate your car and install camera's for driving! :unsmigghh:

On the other hand, that robotics mod is rad as gently caress in that it lets you slowly build them. If only it'd give them base/car areas to independently refill ammo from without having to risk walking out into the carnage to do it yourself. Having a base in the middle of an infested city with walker's patrolling around it would be rad.

Better yet, it'd be a half decent way to stop fungal invasions so long as you have a bot nearby to also use a flamethrower. Fungal biome's are only unmanageable since every infected NPC spawns them, they have towers and flowers that regularly spawn spores, and the hard counter means of dealing with them --- nuking them from far away --- doesn't actually work due to a bug. More manpower to tackle the invasion is a decent counter since the main problem is the number of ways it can spread. Better yet, since robots can't be infested and are usually resistant to fire you should logically be able to get up to some real Terminator poo poo to take them down if you could deal with the issue of ammunition.

Also, what's this about a migo encampment spawning? Do NPC's actually do poo poo like set up new bases now? And if so how does that work?

Edit: The main branch devs opposition to focusing on what's fun over realism is also hilarious since like every popular mod basically is quietly telling them to go gently caress themselves. There's an entire list of mods that are basically "Roll back the changes the devs made to make the game more tedious over the past two years." that are literally included in the game by default because barely anyone wants to deal with that poo poo.

In addition to that all the major content mods are wild poo poo like multiple mods adding multiple types of magic, adding vampires, adding government super soldier projects gone wrong in hilariously over the top ways, adding literally the scientists from Fallout 4 with a rename, adding the literal loving Inquisition (Only they have super powers like they're straight out of the World of Darkness.), etc, etc.

If they ever throw a fit and try to scrape the mods out of the base download the game is done. And I bet it burns some of them to think of that.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 27, 2020

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Did a newish update break mods? Nearly the entire mod list I had from before updating causes the game to crash when generating worlds. This is after updating the mods. In addition to that mods like the world gen building packs and the salvaged robots mod no longer seem to work.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 29, 2020

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Marcus Garvey posted:

It really needs a real end game imo

This is ancient but the one good thing i'll say about the vanilla DDA branch is that they seem committed to having a massively replayable end game in the form of NPC's and nation building.

Like, some of the old plans for how NPC's work were absolutely huge. Bandits would set up camps over time and raid settlements, settlers would resettle (Or just set up outposts around the refugee centers filled with NPC's.) and try to build little post apocalyptic communities, etc, etc.

Progress seems incredibly slow, unfortunately. Though, that does remind me. Does Bright Nights have NPC's up to par with the vanilla fork?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Back in the day it seemed like the thought was that you'd go to all these different dimensions and gently caress them up at the source as a sort of karmic payback for ruining yours.

The idea of transitioning from rural New England to multi-dimensional traveler sounds badass. Though extreme in the amount of content it requires it'd also potentially allow for an infinite amount of modding new worlds.

Imagine traveling to a black ooze sea (Or just an alternate version of Earth that's partially submerged in it) and having to figure out how to boat across this thing while not getting consumed by the fluid. Or transitioning to another human-esque sci-fi world that's been completely overrun by the Mycus, offering extreme rewards at equally extreme risk.

The latter of which would pretty much guarantee that you'd have to have a mobile base going at all times since staying still in zones filled with Mycus is a death sentence if you don't have lots of auto turrets or incendiaries. Hell, suiting up to go outside would be fun from a creativity point and not from a tedious realistic point. I could see myself building an airlock with incinerator inside to ensure no spores reach my precious doom tank's interior just before showing up to the place.

Or imagine going to that infinite cosmic horror plane that's straight out of Junji Ito's works. The possibilities are endless. You could even do fairly nice places that haven't fallen yet if you wanted to make off world bases a real thing.

Or heck, given that they seem to want to expand NPC's to basically be independent entities in the world that scavenge and play the game as you do, imagine dropping in on an ongoing apocalypse before the governments fell. Maybe it's the traditional one. Maybe it's a mycus infestation similar to that overrun world. Only this time you get to see what a world in the middle of the apocalypse looks like before it got overrun. Maybe you could even pitch in and actually stop it in one small corner of the game world.

You could add all sorts of worlds that enable exploration potential not just in terms of the game world but also in making new interactions between items and encouraging new strategies. Walking through an interdimensional portal and finding yourself between a street battle battle between Mycus zombies, a fireteam of soldiers, and an atomic tank (Or a full fledged operational lab under siege. Meaning it'd be a heck of a lot more dangerous if you didn't have an ID card worn to signify you should actually be there.) would be a hell of a shift in gameplay tactics. Just like the rest would be.

It feels to me like the shift to absurd realism has come about because the current devs don't really get that there should be an end game. Or even how to go about pursuing an end game, for that matter. So they just complicate and complicate with mile wide inch shallow mechanics that make the game tedious instead of a vast setting that would allow for real depth through interaction, expansion, and exploration of the mechanics that are core to the appeal the game has for players.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 1, 2020

Archonex
May 2, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

Bright nights now has refrigerators on the building grid system so now's a good time to upgrade if you don't do vehicle bases.

The x64 build for windows is missing?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

If Cataclysm++ and Aftershock both worked with BN I wouldn't see any reason to play DDA again. Stuff like the end game of Cata++ with the ridiculous hulk sized mutants (At least, with Undeadpeople active. That tileset needs to have someone continue it. The others unfortunately just don't hold a candle to it's quality in one way or another.), bioweapon starts, extra factions, and actual goals (Like the sandbox roadtrip with the other bioweapons to find weapons and vehicles good enough to take out the mutant army.) make it a lot of fun while adding in new optional goals to shoot for. And that's not even touching the items, skills, and similar content those mods add.

A lot of the content oriented features DDA's branch has promised have been constantly backburnered (NPC factions that do stuff in the world, building your own base, followers doing stuff in the faction) sometimes for years on end in favor of creating an artificial tedium gate meant to make it harder to get past parts of the game. All of which appears to be to avoid having to actually do the honestly hard work of making enjoyable sandbox or classic Cataclysm content that expands on the experience in a way that isn't pointless tedium.

It's to the point where it's obvious that they have no idea what to do outside of just throw some random stuff in that's haphazardly finished at best. And then they go back to reading and misinterpreting wikipedia articles about vitamins and bullet penetration to justify doing some busy work that will inevitably add more unnecessary bullshit to deal with or gently caress up existing mechanics that worked before they touched them. Hell, even the NPC base content and a bit of the faction stuff started out as a mod, as I recall. It wasn't even core content for the game until it got adopted in.

Alternatively, if you want a more moral reason to play BN then consider this: For years now people have been telling Kevin and the other coders of DDA that he needs to get his act together while occasionally warning him that if he keeps loving around with the whole "Well then make your own fork of the game. :smug:" excuse whenever criticism of certain features was raised then he'd find out that the people making actual content for DDA like the modders (or old school players that enjoyed what it was before Kevin's fork hosed it up) would inevitably do just that. Which would render him obsolete to large portions of the userbase and likely seriously harm the viability of his fork.

He in fact did keep loving around only to find out that since the game is open source the people making mods and decent gameplay didn't need him and any other participating coders as much as he needed them. Now he and his fanbase are pissed that they were treated the same way that a lot of the community were treated over the years --- as something that is irrelevant to the actual progress of the development of the game and which gets no say in the development of one of the more popular forks. Especially since a lot of mod makers are just sick and tired of his assholish personality that lead to him to keep loving over their mods (Again, the mods that added actual content to the game that kept quite a few people coming back.) in ways that were just stupid or regressive.

The fact that Kevin has been smugging it up and insisting that people make their own fork (While being viciously protective of the tedium oriented work he puts in, all while making GBS threads on the mod makers that are making content that actually keeps people coming back to play his fork.) when people brought this issue up just makes the whole thing deeply ironic. People have been warning the devs of the DDA branch for years that something like BN was going to happen if they kept acting like this and they just assumed they were untouchable.

Jawnycat posted:

From what I've seen from reading abandoned git pages for DDA mods, the DDA devs are actively hostile to most mod developers behind the scenes.

Yeah, and to be clear, there used to be some incredible mods. Factions and NPC bases started out as a mod for instance. Likewise, you had wild stuff like that one mod that let you be a dedicated roboticist (Like, you could assemble the parts for a bootleg mechanical chicken walker or something like that. And some of the robots were downright wild in their design as you got up in the skill tree.) like you were Dr. Wiley or some sort of hosed up post-apoc Dr. Robotnik.

All these mods are gone now, since the DDA folks kept arbitrarily changing things (often making them worse and extremely inaccurate to real life despite their claims of realism) that required rewrites of code that in some cases had mostly been established for years, making it safe to do expansive or creative mods like that without a lot of hassle on the modders part. And that's if they didn't just remove necessary aspects to the mod outright in the name of "realism". So the mod makers quit modding and went to do something more productive with their time.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 9, 2022

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Having not played much of CDDA's Exodii content, how do they make bionics more accessible early on?

I'm almost positive they do. Kenan's Modpack or official github pages will probably have working versions but I could swear I had a BN game just last year with both of these.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

They're not up to date. Well, Aftershock isn't. It's basically at the stage it was when it was just the scifi added back into Cataclysm. The main DDA version is a more total conversion that's turning the game into a cool exo planet colony.

I don't know if +++ is. Is that the one with the bio weapon badges and stuff? It's in the mod pack that's common these days, but once again I'm not sure if it's just a maintained old version or the up to date one.

It gets even weirder with mods like arcana, which have two versions each a bit different because of features taken out of CDDA (something with the portals that kevin removed from the game.)

When I tried to use Arcana with the latest expermental it didn't work. Ditto for a lot of other mods. Maybe they got updated for compat though?

Or maybe it's that I didn't use the right version for Kenan's mod pack?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

You said Aftershock and Cata++, I have no idea what Arcana's compat or recent update is like for BN but I do know that worked witin the last few months, at least. I'm pretty sure i had to get it from a different Github than Kenan's though.

Aftershock and Cata are rolled into that, though i'm thinking the version I played had some incompatibility issues that were probably fixed. That would be why I had problems.

In the end I had to settle for just Aftershock, Magiclysm, and some minor mods. Secunom or whatever it's called seemed like a neat mod but it like plenty of other mods didn't work due to crashing the world gen.

It'd be nice if we had some sort of central hub to tell us where BN's up to date/functional mods are at. I tried one of the launchers (Which I think also lets you download Kenan's pack.) but ran into the same problem with compatibility issues. Having to trawl the internet for mods one at a time is probably it's biggest downside when compared to DDA.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 10, 2022

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Last I played was a while ago, it was half there. There were ruins with cryopods, climate and some fauna was different, they had their own weird alien infected that showed up in addition to zombies, there were like, alien laser pistols and stuff in addition to the old standby laser weapons. It was a lot of fun on CDDA experimental when I played it but not wholly there.

That's because Kenan's modpack doesn't update compatability for CDDA anymore. See:

https://www.reddit.com/r/cataclysmbn/comments/qy7y21/kenan_modpack_going_to_be_bright_nights_exclusive/

TLDR from Kenan themselves: "Thing is, developers along with key contributors often show to have an unexplainable contempt towards 3rd party work"\

You can get the CDDA version of Arcana off of the github for the mod proper, at least last I checked here: https://github.com/chaosvolt/cdda-arcana-mod Just use the Arcana folder, not the Arcana_BN one.

I was talking about compatibility issues with Bright Nights, not CDDA/Kevin's fork.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 10, 2022

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

When is the last time you tried?

Two or three weeks ago.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Ran into a cool new feature in DDA that lets you set Eternal Weather, e.g. an endless snowstorm or permanently clear skies. Looked up the implementation and found this post on the subject:

Yeah, why give players cool, transformative options when they could just open up a .json file buried in one of the data folders and code it in themselves? Why would anyone want two transformative options at the same time?? In what world is Helicopter Start not enough?
Every day I understand this guy's "vision" for the game less and less.

This post by that guy reminds me of every indie prima donna wannabe i've ever known that thinks too highly of their vision to the point where they can't critically self assess to expand on it and make it better (or just decent). There's good odds that if he inevitably see himself lose control over the narrative of where the design goes he'll freak out and try to crash or sabotage the project out of spite over his ego or his "vision".

Honestly, people like that are anathema to good design and loving lol that it took Bright Nights to fix his mess.

I should point out that he's not even designing CDDA in terms of expanding it's appeal or replayability with a stance like this. This stuff and all the other grognarky stuff to make the game more tedious comes off as him doing make-work to justify his control over the project. Sadly, i've seen it before and it always works on people that don't get that tedium!=good content development time invested in actually designing a fun simulation.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 24, 2023

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Why does the non BN version of DDA have random parts of the vehicle take damage over a short drive where no impacts occur.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

luchadornado posted:

Bright Nights exists, but DDA has way more content that's hard to pass up. Would be nice if there was a mod that tuned down some of the really dumb stuff that got in the way of fun gameplay.

I struggle to see what content that BN doesn't have that DDA does. Most of the stuff that i've seen in the new release is tedious fuckery, which is not content but a way of padding time played to progress.

BN by contrast has a massive structured mod pack that does all sorts of stuff while DDA's mod scene seems disjointed and depressed due to the constant edits to viability made by the dev team that sometimes seem downright spiteful in nature.

I think one of the more obnoxious mechanics is transition and weariness. Yes, I want to hold the wait key in a secure vehicle for so many minutes straight to get back energy to do stuff after waiting half a day due to cooking a large meal. This isn't how a normal person functions, and this totally was designed by a person who has never exercised in their life and doesn't understand how physical exertion works.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 7, 2023

Archonex
May 2, 2012

nightwisher posted:

*spends entire days cutting down dozens of trees and turning them into logs*

*Eats 2200 kcal of various health food, the literal average intake to maintain weight for an average sedentary male adult*

*Wakes up the next day obese*

Yep, checks out.

And I still haven't figured out how the hell solar panels on top of my APC are taking damage when nothing is hitting them.

Honestly, the longer the DDA devs work on their fork the buggier it seems to get. Except given their love of make work features i'm not even sure if it's a bug or a feature.

quote:

E: also cooking shouldn't be able to make you particularly tired even if you do it from the minute you wake up. Something like blacksmithing absolutely can, but crafting lighter things is only light activity so while it might make you a little tired doing it for hours straight you shouldn't get properly tired from them before you need to sleep. Unless your athletics/fitness is extremely bad in which case I guess maybe but that literally is your character being a completely garbage weakling. You can get some basic athletics quite easily if you make a bit of exercise equipment and your health should be very good generally if you're eating well and doing physical activity during the day.

I used freeform to give me a max stats character for testing the update out. If having a superhuman character in stats somehow defaults to being weak as poo poo when doing things then :lol: what the gently caress.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 7, 2023

Archonex
May 2, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know if any of the innate stats give you bonuses to stamina? I think it's mostly a function of your athletics skill and general "healthiness" factor which start out at 0 and average, respectively unless you put points into them. Both are things that change based on what you do so as a representation of fitness I think they make more sense than the unchanging ones you pick at creation. Only gripe I have really is that strength probably shouldn't be a fixed stat.

When you do the activity it should show in the sidebar the level of activity involved, and the weariness malus associated with that level of activity. Lighter activities wear you out less and also don't suffer penalties from the first few levels of weariness, it's only really an issue if you are planning on fighting (which is extreme activity) or trying to work when absolutely exhausted.

Even if my character has a hidden stat defining them as weak and out of shape (in spite of the actual mechanical stats that would logically define such a thing in primary gameplay) even people who are out of shape don't get critically winded from basic work like laying on top of an APC and screwing a solar panel in with a screwdriver and solder or cooking a large meal. The former would primarily be a str task, and not me doing cardio like i'm sprinting in place with a welding mask and solder going at the vehicle. Ditto for cooking.

Like, if you have a serious heart condition then yes, that sort of thing can gently caress you up but otherwise that is not how things work in the real world, which contradicts their narrative of aiming for realism. Which given how much they've driven off other content creators and wanted to restrict the more sci-fi stuff in the past makes it all the more absurd.

The game is just hosed because the DDA devs keep adding poo poo like this without thinking out the consequences or balancing it properly. And given what i've seen in the past when criticism comes their way they have a "suck it up or quit" mentality, as if they're justified with replying with "git gud" to bad design choices.

Or to put it another way, they keep making the player adapt to their choices in trying to be more like Unreal World rather than expanding the gameplay available to the player. Which for an established game with established loops is bad design.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like you are playing a different game because genuinely my character has normal stats and I don't get exhausted unless I spend every waking moment of the day forging a sword or something.

Then i've probably run into a bug and i'm going to have to put this down and play BN until they fix it.