Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I just discovered this game, and it's sounds real sweet too me! I'm trying to get into it, even if I really don't like ASCII and could do with a sleeker UI.

So, I did the tutorial but that raised some questions. First, how do you pick up items from display racks? I smashed the thing and then hurt myself when walking onto the tile to pick up stuff. Doesn't seem like I should do it that way. Also, the tutorial said it spawned a zombie for me to kill, but there's nothing in the tutorial house and I also can't leave it. I checked out the lower floor, but still nothing. I really would have liked to learn how to fire my guns. Am I just missing something or is the tutorial WIP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Currently trying to get into this game and since I'm a heathen that doesn't like ascii I'm trying to find a tileset I enjoy. I looked at some yt vids and one set called "chesthole" looked good to me. But the current stable release I use has a different version and the one I wanted to use was removed for some legal reasons as I could gather? Is it still possible to find and use the tileset to make the game look like this this?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

SpacePope posted:

It's in there. It got removed from the basic game installation because of some stolen assets. Thing is, the tileset has been worked on by so many people and for so long that's it's pretty hard to source every image, so they decided to simply remove it from the basic distribution instead. The guy working on it still keeps it updated, and some devs are working on an alternative tileset that you can already try (ultica) but isn't complete yet.
Thanks a lot! And sorry for the wrong name but I was going by a comment made by the youtuber on the first episode. And yeah I checked out ultica and it's neat too but I wanted to investigate the other tileset first and would have fallen back on ultica if the other set wasn't available anymore.

Now on to learning the controls and dying a bunch

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Welcome aboard! Please ask questions here, it’s better content than us old timers bitching about the latest changes we don’t agree with. :oldmanyellsatclouds:
What things should I prioritize to loot during my first few hours in the world? I assume some form of backpack is highest followed by a weapon and some food&drink. I just hosed around a bit with my first character to get a feel but yeah there are tons of items that seem important but there's no way for me to carry all that stuff even if I had a backpack by now.

Also holy hell there are a lot of zombos around me send help

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try to follow your directions once I feel like I can start a serious run. Still just loving around for now

Btw, do hostiles respawn or can you actually clear an area for good and have it be safe for looting and whatever you wanna do with it? I mean I realize that it would take a lot of ammo or expert combat tricks to dispatch so many enemies but I'm just wondering if it's something that you can aim towards eventually?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Neato! Now I know what my overarching goal will be.

Next question: do the passives you get from martial art styles count even if you're not actually doing martial arts? I picked drunken boxing for the passive dodge chance and set my int to 12 thinking it will give a small edge in early fights despite using a weapon

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Ah dang. And I here I thought I was being clever

Time to start up a new char then

E: New run as a national guardsman that missed the evac. Went with medival swords as recommended and found a back scabbard in my starting house. The description says it's very difficult to handle without consierable practice. Is that just fluff or actually a thing?

E2: Soo I was just loving around in the starter house getting my clothes right and whatever. Then somehow zombos took notice. I thought it would be fine if I keep quiet since there was also an armed npc in the house. Tried to deconstruct a bed for wood to craft the starter sword and then a window broke and shooting started. I figured I'll just hide in the room but then three zombos busted in and cornered me. Managed to punch one to death and flee the house only to get caught and eaten in a field a few moments later. Yep seems like the usual rl starter experience

Things learned:
Be loving quick in the starter house and gtfo
Probably also crouch
Stamina is a thing when you sprint

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 16, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Managed to get out of the city without dying

I just followed the road and found an empty radio tower to loot and use as my first safe spot. It even had a telescope and map on the top so I now have a decent amount of choices as to where I try to move for an actual early base.

Cummington was my start and the found map revealed a lot of POIs for me there. So I guess it should also be my first destination for looting. But before I do that I want to decide on a safe spot where I retreat to with the loot. There is a gas station with a garage on the south edge of cummington which had a few zombos on the road but otherwise it seems empty. But there is also a cabin in the forest NE of town that I could check out. The cabin is probably better for living in but I have no idea what's going on in the forest around it.

The other choice would be to move straight south since there is another cabin in the forest there. It's sorta close to Albany which is a super small town but there also is another town in the area which is unexplored. Only got the location and roads from the map. Downside of going south is that the cabin is a lot farther from anything than the two choices around cummington.

Thoughts?

E: Aim for a normal scabbard to hold a crude sword. The back scabbard shares the torso/strapped slot with backpacks, duffel bags, etc. Check out the + menu, it will show what’s equipped and encumbrance. Anything that is yellow is giving extra encumbrance because you have more than one thing in that slot.
Yeah I kinda figured that out after dealing with my set of starting clothes and gear but still thx for giving me the info!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

That's actually an interesting idea. According to the map it has three houses and a garden so it's real tiny. Two homeless camps are on the outskirts but I have no idea how much zombos you should expect from those. The only thing that's a problem is that it's rather far from the other towns in the area so I would need a car or plan around the long travel times by foot. Not sure tbh. Seems like I should go for a smaller location right now and migrate to Albany once I have secured a good car. But it's still very early on day 1 so I think I'll scout Albany and spend my first night in the radio tower if I have to. It's pretty remote so I shouldn't get eaten(heavy sleeper) I think.

Cummington (nice).
Extra nice when you consider that the world generated as Coketon

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 16, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

On my way to Albany rn, and it seems like I found a car that's not complete poo poo if I read the data right

Only half a liter of gas and the battery is almost dead but I guess this could be used if I carry some fuel to it? Marked it on my map for now

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Ah, okay. I figured that the broken security actually made it easier to start the car but oh well. I'll try wackin it at some point

Also I got my first kill. Ran into a tough zombie on the road and felt like I should get a taste of combat to learn my limits. Got him with the only serious damage being to my backpack. The 2-by-sword performed pretty well but I assume I got lucky with some crits.

E: Made it to the outskirt of Albany and spotted two normal and a tough zombie directly in my approach. Lured the normal ones into brush and took them out. Got hassled by a darn coyote while fighting the second one and it got a few bites in but ran away when the zombie went down. Then I lured the tough into the same brush and the fucker got a deep bite on me before going down. Disinfected it and used a bandage and I hope that's enough? Also ate some aspirin to combat the pain.

I'm pretty bruised up so I'll have a quick peek at the town and then turn back to the tower to rest a bit and train some crafting skills. There was a automated gas station on the way with vending machines and the 400$ cash card I found should get me some extra food so that I can keep saving my MREs

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 16, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Holy poo poo that loving coyote jumped me right after I decided to leave and put on my duffle so I could carry the box of ammo I got from a zombie

Welp I butchered his dumb rear end and will dine on it later

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The wiki says butchering human corpses gives a considerable mood penalty. Do zombie corpses also count for that? Seems like an easy source for sinew and survival xp if not

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks for the quick info!

The Lone Badger posted:

No penalty, but thread is easy to get in bulk and xp is worth little. (Read a book or craft to skill up)
You're probably right but it's just about the very early game for me right now. I have killed a few zombies but I'm too bruised to continue loving around so it's just a really safe way for me to grab some sinew and do a few small crafts. Just looking to use my time in a productive way before I sleep to heal

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

A long string becomes 300 thread in 35 minutes of disassembling.
Sure but to get that string I need to go back into zombie areas again and I don't think I'm in the shape for that right now. Still in mild pain, focus constantly below 50, unhappy, missing a health bar on every limb. Just seems like I should keep it safe for a bit now

Just trying to hit fab 2 so I can upgrade my sword and once I have recovered a bit more I get back to clearing that little town

The Lone Badger posted:

Sleeping doesn't heal any faster than being awake now. Make some makeshift bandages out of rags and apply those. Once that causes you to skillup to First Aid 1 start making boiled makeshift bandages.
Huh, good to know about the value of sleeping to heal! Also I still have 4 bandages from the medkit I started with and first aid 1 from my background. National guard has some tight starting boons imo

E: Crude sword gotten! I wish my focus would stop being in the dumpster but I guess it's time to head back out since I can't really do anything else in my crappy tower

E2: So how do you actually go about doing healing right? Like assume you have been in a few fights and are missing like two or three pips on a limb. Do you just slap a bandage on it and then pass some hours until you heal back up?

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 17, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Holy poo poo a rot-weiler sure can chew you up good. Was real hard to hit that fucker even with low encumbrance and it cost me three bars on my sword arm so I'm back to keeping busy while healing

Xand_Man posted:

You started in a shelter right?
Nope! I picked the "missed" start where you spawn in a house with an NPC at the edge of a city. I probably should have gotten a few more things from their house before leaving but my first char got swarmed and eaten doing that so I was scared

Telsa Cola posted:

If you can get a seatbelt from taking it off a car (I think you just need a tool with screwing) you will be set for thread for a bit.
Oh hey that's nice to know! There are two wrecks on the route between my base and the town I'm working on that I can scavenge for that.

E: Dang, seatbelts need mechanics 1. Need to find a way to train up to that first

Right now I'm looking to get my tailor to 2 so that I can try some repairs to my army jacket and backpack before they fall apart. Already lost my compression top and my tac vest is also damaged. But I'm also missing rags since you apparently can't disassemble a large portion of clothes. Can you use filthy clothes for rags when all you want to do is train your skill? I'm never going to wear the stuff anyway

Also, what's the verdict on smaller guns? I found a .380 pistol and a box with 50 rounds for it but it doesn't seem that great of an idea to use it. I mean it does 8 damage and only has six shots so I would assume the noise is way more trouble than the ranged attack is actually worth

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 17, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

What you need to do is (B)utcher them in order to cut them up.
This doesn't work for me fyi. However you can apply a knife to clothing items to cut them up. Pretty convoluted when there is a disassembly function for other clothes in the game but that's how it is

Also still stuck on getting mechanics to 1. The wiki says to repair things with a soldering iron but l'm far away from having that

E: Found a way. Make a wooden frame, start vehicle construction and get xp

Pretty ugly method for 15xp a pop. Also I can't seem to be able to deconstruct the vehicle/frame? Removing it needs mech 2 for some awful reason. Luckily I have a broken barn near where I can scavenge all the planks and nails I'm gonna need but yeah this is much more tedious than it should be

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 17, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Took me 7 frames to get to mech one. So a total of 35 planks and 140 nails. Really glad about that busted up barn in the area

It's past 23:00pm on my first day now so I'm gonna rest and get to collecting seatbelts and tailor grinding in the morning

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

How do you manage your focus right?

I'm not in pain, well fed and hydrated and in a good mood. But my focus goes down rather quickly while doing crafts. I tried just passing some time but I don't regain much from an hour of hanging out. Just feeling like I get lovely xp returns from the limitied materials I have

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks for the input on focus!

E: MP3 players also help with focus, it’s a permanent +20 to morale which is huge in this game.
Oh hey guess who knows of a zombie corpse that has one

Also I found a working electric car which is very nice. Driving itself is awkward though

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Changing directions is the more awkward part for me but I'll manage

Do you need experimental z-levels enabled to climb a downspout? I'm standing on it but it tells me I can't go up here

E: So uh fire is really dangerous. I previously made fire for cooking with a plank that I had dropped on the asphalt outside. I dropped a few pieces of misc trash on the same spot while playing thinking it would prevent the fire from going out so quickly. Like I had to light the plank several times while making one piece of meat before. Well I just tried to finally boil some bandages and got hosed up pretty hard by the fire which is now also raging...I mean there is nothing flamable around it but I'm gonna try to douse it anyway because the whole thing sucked

Oh hey a full stockpot of water did nothing to it. Needed to to it three times. Dang, don't play with fire I guess

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 17, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Albany has been cleared

Dispatched like 14 zombies, a rot-weiler and a dog, and three stupid coyotes that just had to jump in whenever I pulled zombies out of the city.

Fairly good place! And the garden turned out be a little farm with a greenhouse and water tanks.

I'm probably gonna use the SE house as my main since it has the best basement.

Lots of storage, crafting stuff and even a water purifier.

The NE house has a very empty basement so this will probably become my misc/trash storage area

And I'm never going into the NW basement again without having a huge gun

Well now I'm going to spend hours looting and organizing said loot and then agonizing over how I set everything up and hrrnngg

Okay be cool. Bandage up, get to the car and drive back to the cell tower first to recover a bit. Maybe even treat yourself with some nice hotdogs or burritos

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Two wolves jumped me on the way to the car and now I'm hosed up and bleeding from two limbs. RIGHT AFTER I USED MY LAST BANDAGES! All I got are these five pieces of gauze...

I made it but gently caress me that was way too close

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 18, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Is it? It only had a 50% to stop the bleed and I failed twice. I had a bleed before and the bandages that came with my first aid kit had 89% chance to stop bleeding

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

What's your preferred container for cattail jelly? I didn't realize it needs one and now the first batch I made is on the floor

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Gallon jugs are pretty common. You've probably found tons of em full of bleach or ammonia, just dump one out, you don't need 8 gallons of bleach.
Yeah I have some around. I assume I can then pour it into smaller containers to keep my load lighter for travelling?

Also, what range of tools should I carry to dismantle furniture I don't need? I'm currently moving the loot in my little town to a central spot and I see tons of furniture I want to remove. Things like mirrors, random tables, sinks and so on.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Rynoto posted:

A sledgehammer solves all furniture removal needs.
Man I wish I had one! I jammed a gunsafe and need to bash it down now

I have a multitool, screwdriver and a hammer which I assume should be good enough to dismantle most things but I'm not sure if it will work for stuff like bathtubs, showers, sinks or old machinery.

Is there a way to move heavy corpses? I'm trying to get all the dead zombies to a small hobo camp outside of town to not attract anything to my actual houses. Might also try to burn them there at some point. But they are too heavy to lift with str 10 and I dread to have to butcher them all and move the pieces

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Xand_Man posted:

Edit: Drag is mainly for constructions/ vehicles. You can use / to just haul a bunch of stuff (including corpses)
Yeah drag only works for furniture and bigger things but does not recognize corpses on the ground. I can select the corpse while standing on it with the / menu but I can't find out how to set a destination for it other than my inventory

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Carcer posted:

with the advanced inventory thing you can move everything from one target tile to another with a single button press.
Okay but how exactly do you do that? When I open it it gives me two screens. The left is the tile I'm standing on and the right is my inventory. So I can only move things from the tile into my inventory or from my inventory into the tile. Looking at the controls on the wiki also doesn't help me here

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Carcer posted:

From what I remember you use the numpad keys to specify the tiles you want to use.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Carcer posted:

Glad to have helped
Yeah posters itt have been super helpful! Fringe games like this usually have a big entry barrier and it's very nice to not have to bash against it or read wikis for hours

Next question

So the basement of my house has a water heater with some clean water in it and a purifier next to it. But I haven't been able to interact with the purifier in any way. Is it just a prop or can I actually make it work?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Carcer posted:

Try picking it up and "a"pplying it to a stack of water. The water might have to be dirty for it to work, like water from a river or toilet.
Nah, doesn't work. Pretty sure that it's just a prop

I have finished setting up in my little town and got my crafting area and storage sorted. Kinda in the air about what to do next. I mean I did some reading and a few small crafts. Not really hurting for food or drink either so I could hang out and grind a few more days. I'm not really confident enough in my current skills to go back into the actual town and loot there. Probably going to to try to find some small farms or whatever to raid first. I did scout a dump near me but it had a big group of crawling zombies out front and more commotion in the back. And while those crawlers don't seem that dangerous I'm not keen on fighting through them with my crude sword. Might have to craft some kind of spear to deal with that.

Also I learned that the homewrecker sadly isn't strong enough to dent a gunsafe. Praying for a sledge continues

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Is the scrap armor worth my time? I'm aware that it comes with some penalties but if it's tanky enough for basic zombies then I could use it to clear out smal locations to loot them later. I'm just asking because it needs a lot of materials to craft and I'd rather not waste them right now

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Encumbrance on scrap armor is a deal breaker for me. I usually aim for leather body armor or skip straight to light survivor armor.

E: Nomad armor is better than leather but it depends on a couple of item drops that you might not get.
Hmm I'm still at tailor 3 and don't think I can make leather armor yet. But I'm gonna investigate

Also I just had a weird thing happen. I went out to scout and clear a bit and fought two zombies. After killing the second one my guy is suddenly getting temperature problems. It's still spring and I don't think my gear is too warm?

Never had any issues before except when standing next to fire for too long. I got a deep bite that I disinfected properly right away so I don't think it's the issue either

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Gotcha! By looking at the panel it seems that my army pants+combat boots caused the warmth while I was walking around a lot and fighting. I guess the outside temp is starting to climb by now since that didn't happen before.

I took a mean hit to my glasses which frightens me since I don't have a spare by now and also can't repair them atm. If I understand the clothing system right then I should be able to protect them by wearing something over them? I have ski googles and a pair of fit-over sunglasses so I should wear one of them and it should take the next hit if it happens, right?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Made it to tailor and fab 4 so I'm starting to look at a lot more options

This is my current combat outfit. It has very little storage but that's okay I think because I leave all my stuff in the car and can wear backpack/duffle after I'm done fighting. My pants are not that protective compared to the rest though and I wonder if I should reinforce them? I read on the wiki that the encumbrance penalty can be fairly rough though so I'm not sure if it's worth it?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Xand_Man posted:

You can craft safety goggles from plastic bottles and string and they'll give you near-equivalent combat protection for a third of the encumbrance.

Edit: And you should DEFINITELY reinforce items w/ spare rags/felt/leather and a sewing tool . You can specially reinforce with leather or Kevlar to give yourself more protection in exchange for encumbrance but regular reinforcement just increases their HP so they can take more hits before you do. It's accessed from the repair menu option. If your skill isn't high enough you may damage the item though; be sure to check the success chance before you accidentally destroy your sweet armor.
Welp my chance on the good gear is below 5% so I'll need to train a bit more

But thanks for letting me know!

E: I have my crafting station in a basement and if I add a fire source of some sort will the smoke gently caress me up?

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 20, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Again, thanks for the good info!

Is there a way to merge similar items? I got tons of lighters and matchbooks in my storage and it would be nice if I could refill them with eachother

The Lone Badger posted:

You'll need a Stove or something to avoid getting smoked. Check your Construction menu to see about building one.
I stole a stove from a hobo camp I'll see if I can drag it down a stair before I build a fresh one

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

But standard lighters are disposable and cannot be refilled, you need to find a 'refillable lighter' aka a bic.
Yeah I sorta expected that but I still had hope

How far is the reach of the crafting menu? Like when I craft stuff I have noticed that it recognizes items as far as three tiles away from me but I wonder if anyone knows the max distance?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Good to know! My current setup is mainly in a three tile range so I can comfortably extend that a bit

The Lone Badger posted:

It depends partly on your vision. If you can't see it (because its dark or there's something in the way) you can't use it.
Speaking of seeing things, I assume there is a lenghty way which eventually lets me have a light source in my crafting cellar? Right now I use the various phones I have collected but eventually I'm going to need something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

So if I understand it right then the game operates with a bubble of 100 tiles around you where things keep going? Does that apply to everything or only to actors such as monsters and animals? I just made a kiln in a nearby forest for charcoal and a smoking rack and now I wonder if they will freeze operation when I move too far away? Same question also goes for the crops I planted.