Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
I'm not entirely sure how, but my character seems to be able to wear 10 pairs of shoes/boots at the same time. I get the feeling the inventory needs some work.

Also unsure as to why ID cards are consumed when used. Wouldn't that be a terrible design flaw if high level persons had to carry around a huge stack of ID cards to access their workspace?

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Cardiovorax posted:

Because otherwise you'd only ever have to find one military card and get access to as many stocked bunkers as you want, obviously. It's a balance decision, it doesn't have to make sense. :v:

Also yeah, you can wear as much of any type of equipment as you want, at the cost of your encumbrance going up and making you worse at basically everything related to that body part. A dozen pairs of boots will make you run as slow as a snail. Well, more slowly, going by the in-game snails.

I suppose, but I find it hard to believe that they couldn't be renamed to an item that makes sense to be consumed. Tickets would make sense for one use maybe, but semantics I guess.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Full changelog for 0.8 has some goodies: http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=3254.0

quote:

Draggable vhicles, e.g. shopping carts.
Memorial file listing player history.
Tiles!

Memorials are nice for your badass dead guys, and carts would be a nice way to haul around a bunch of looted junk from towns without grabbing two backpacks or fixing up a car.

quote:

Basic farming support.

Unsure if this means farming is in, or they're just testing the framework. Probably the latter. I wonder if you could inject seeds with mutagen to grow GMOs? Or triffids.
EDIT: Evidently if you examine dirt mounds you can plant seeds.

quote:

Beanbag rounds for shotguns and grenade launchers.

I demand beanbag chairs.

quote:

Pneumatic weapons.

Choo choo, railway rifle incoming. (wait, we already have the nail rifle)

quote:

Vehicle collisions based on SCIENCE!

:science:

quote:

When in a square with clothes and bedding, sleeping players will use them for warmth.

Bed of coats!

quote:

Plastic item crafting.

A use for bags? Hooray!

quote:

Blacksmithing.
Heated melee weapons.

FLAMING CUSTOM KATANAS :krad:

-------------

First zombie I encountered in 0.8 was wearing a gimp mask.

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 17, 2013

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
The mask has an option to obscure all vision. I wish I could've done that to the zombie and watch him flail. :v:

Second attempt had me crafting a 2-by-sword (not a bad newbie weapon, but inferior to the PIPE) and a rock-in-a-sock. I chased after a rabbit with the rock-in-a-sock in a sad attempt to pummel it. I landed a single hit and the game couldn't comprehend it, then crashed. Evidently it doesn't like cloth as a weapon.

Rock-in-a-Sock: Destroys the world in a single hit.

EDIT: Crafting got nerfed a lot it seems. Ripping a sheet up only gives 3 rags (I think they used to give 10?), yet it still takes 20 to make one. Odd.
Can't even make arrows without a level in Archery, though that's easy to get with a self bow and some arrow shafts.
Can purify water by charcoal now, and even craft Crack Pipes.
Butchering seems to be a lot easier now; less destroying meat.

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 17, 2013

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
God I love bear traps. So useful.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Tyskil posted:

I have just had the luckiest start I've ever had. Right outside the evac shelter was a bunch of dead dudes with backpacks, enough drugs to kill an elephant and a machete. One of the first buildings in the town is a grocery store where I pick up a shopping cart and a weeks worth of canned goods, the next building is a pawn shop where I trade my backpack up for a military rucksack and my machete for a loving broadsword. Then crossed the street to a hardware store and grab some supplies, just to go to the parking lot around the corner and find a perfectly workable scooter that I welded my shopping cart to to create my own shop n' scoot. Then I found a gun store with enough .45 and buckshot to clear the whole town if I wanted to.

I've blatantly cheated before and had characters start off worse that this, I'm just blindly moving him forward now out of morbid curiosity to see what the death of the luckiest man who ever lived is going to be like.

Luckiest guy I had stumbled upon no less than 3 groups of dead army soldiers within the first 20 minutes of gameplay. I was loaded down like a space marine.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Seeds seem to only come from unpicked plants from what I've seen so far. Though I can imagine them putting in an agriculture store at some point.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

The Droid posted:

I seem to be encountering a very useful bug. Whenever I assault a military outpost and die, when I return with a new character all the turrets and zombies have mysteriously died. Thanks to this, I now have 3 LAWs, a Flash rocket launcher with additional ammo, a M302 with various rounds, armor and other clothing out the rear end, food, tons of medical supplies, and a plethora of upgrades for my few guns (but no ammo). What should I do now? :getin:

Clear a town in a day.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Diogines posted:

How do I use a funnel? I activated it and set it, but I cannot figure out how to put anything under it. It rained and did not collect any water.

Do I need to actually use the funnel only when it rains and stand there and get water, or do I set and forget it?

Just drop a container in the same square. It'll automatically fill them when it rains. A nice way to get acid.

Alright, is it just me or is it incredibly hard to hit things in Archery? I got to around level 3-4 archery, a longbow and a bunch of field arrows then went to take on a single zombie. I must have wasted something like 30 missed arrows before he got within 3-4 squares and I could finally hit him a few times. I can understand it being useful as a fallback ranged weapon when you have no bullets (just raid the woods for arrows), but am I doing something wrong or is it seriously this hard to hit something?

On reflection, it may have been influenced by me wearing armour. How much do things like arm guards and backpacks hinder your ranged capability?

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Tirius posted:

What's the best way to deal with smokers anyway? I've honestly never done anything but run from them.

Cars

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
I find the ASCII easier to discern than the tiles oddly enough.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Looking at the gfx folder, 0.8 seems to have 3 different tilesets packaged. Do anyone know how to switch between them?

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Spaceking posted:

Looking at the gfx folder, 0.8 seems to have 3 different tilesets packaged. Do anyone know how to switch between them?

Okay, I searched around and it involves editing the gfx.txt. So far it seems to only support 2 tilesets at a time.

Deon's tileset (default):

#Until multiple tilesets are implemented, there should only ever be these two entries
#in this file.

#Paths to Deon's tileset: gfx/DeonTileset/tile_config.json & /deontiles.png
#Paths to Hoder's tileset: gfx/HoderTileset/tile_config.json & /hodertiles.png

#DEON's TILESET
#JSON Path - Default of gfx/tile_config.json
JSON: gfx/DeonTileset/tile_config.json
#Tileset Path - Default of gfx/tinytile.png
TILESET: gfx/DeonTileset/deontiles.png

#HODER'S TILESET -- Commented out
#JSON: gfx/HoderTileset/tile_config.json
#TILESET: gfx/HoderTileset/hodertiles.png

Hoder'sTileset:

#Until multiple tilesets are implemented, there should only ever be these two entries
#in this file.

#Paths to Deon's tileset: gfx/DeonTileset/tile_config.json & /deontiles.png
#Paths to Hoder's tileset: gfx/HoderTileset/tile_config.json & /hodertiles.png

#DEON's TILESET
#JSON: gfx/DeonTileset/tile_config.json
#TILESET: gfx/DeonTileset/deontiles.png

#HODER'S TILESET -- Commented out
JSON: gfx/HoderTileset/tile_config.json
TILESET: gfx/HoderTileset/hodertiles.png

------

I still prefer ASCII but Hoder has the nicer tilset.

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 22, 2013

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
I don't think Perks aren't a good fit for Cataclysm because the skill system is all about incremental improvement. You don't get a big fanfare, level-up here; you just get slowly better over time, which is more realistic and suits the survival setting. Repeating a task over and over and getting better at it makes more sense than suddenly achieving an unrelated bonus. Bionics and Mutations are sought after so badly BECAUSE positive ones are so hard to achieve and activate. It makes their usage all the sweeter when 10 characters have come and died before them in search of that magical arm cannon. Honestly the progression system works wonderfully as is; going up in ranks opens up the amount of things available and makes you more versatile.

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 23, 2013

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Doug Lombardi posted:

Cataclysm is kind of interesting because destroying a Fungal Spire or clearing out all the zombies in town are satisfying because they are:

1) Dangerous and require you to use all your gameplay knowledge.
2) Change the game world to your benefit by removing certain difficult enemy types.

In contrast, the difference between a gigantic castle and a hole in the ground in Minecraft is purely aesthetic, both are equally good at protecting you against wandering monsters.

That gives me an idea; could they incorporate creep/corruption in any fashion? I know the game has little spots where certain monsters spawn, but could there be a feature that these spots will grow and spread over time? Spiders overtaking an entire forest in a giant web death lair or a spire spreading out its tendrils and growing a strange fungal jungle around it. The undead could even have their kind of 'blight cloud' that increases their severity and numbers, creating a gargantuan mobile horde that roams the map with the cloud, numbering zeds in the hundreds.

It'd make worlds much more dynamic as the world changes over time, as well as sometimes uprooting turtling players as the dark forces grow in power. Also gives a valid reason to go in gun-ho and obliterate these areas with gratuitous amounts of napalm. Plus if NPC infighting ever gets implemented, tell me you wouldn't like to see a zombie horde bust through a fungal forest.

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 24, 2013

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

randombattle posted:

I kind of wish it wasn't so easy to just find books and read up to like 8 in every skill.

Martial Arts would be neat if it wasn't useless to have multiple styles. Maybe if there were like super styles like fist of the north star poo poo but I dunno martial arts just doesn't seem worth it.

Well, zombies are already dead.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Is there a way to harvest mutated poppies without falling alseep? Would a mask help? Also I can't figure out how to create dirt piles for planting. Shovel doesn't seem to do anything other than dig pits and the like.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Is it worth picking up hulls and casings from guns? I know you can create more bullets using a die & press, but it looks like you can only get primer, lead and gunpowder from disassembling other ammo (I'm assuming gunpowder might have another way to be made).

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
What's the best way to deal with dragonflies?

EDIT: Oh lovely, I found an Infinite Beartrap glitch in the nightly build. Wield a beartrap in you hands and activate it and it'll lay the trap but not remove it from your inventory. Seems to apply this to every bear trap; might just be my file.

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 21, 2013

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
How exactly does the game calculate whether attacks hit or not? I'm not talking about things that affect the outcome like stats, weight and encumbrance, but the actual calculation itself. From what I can tell, it definitely operates mainly off of your skill, and if the damage calculation using dice rolling is any indication, it might be a dice roll as well against the enemy's agility or dodging. Anyone know exactly how the equation works? I've looked around on the wiki but its all vague explanations of "this improves/inhibits accuracy". Maybe I'm just missing the section where all the formulas are, but the damage calculations are pretty easy to find.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Right, I don't know if this is supposed to happen but I went on a little adventure and came upon horror. There was a sewage plant near by base that I hadn't checked out yet, and looking around the only interesting place was behind a big metal door. So I tried to leave but fell in a sinkhole that dropped me to the giant sewage tanks below the ground. Found some nice loot and some dynamite at least. After wading through the literal crap, I got back upstairs to find the same locked door, only now on the other side. Lucky me for finding dynamite. Unlucky me for setting it off in evidently the most populated riverbank in the world:

My last guy had been killed by giant dragonflies, so this was pretty harrowing.

EDIT: And then I went back underground to get bionics, came back up and every single one vanished. Evidently wading around in sewage and getting a faceful of dynamite makes you hallucinate swarms of dragonflies. That or the monster spawning system for the nightly build is hosed.

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Oct 23, 2013

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't think so. The game has always had some issues with dynamically spawned monsters, they tend to vanish back into the thin air they came from when you leave their immediate vicinity. Good thing too, or you'd leave permanent death zones around you every time you drive through a swamp.

I'm assuming zombies aren't dynamic then; well, on static map at least. That would also explain how I'd visit an office building with a wildly fluctuating population of Fungaloids nearby. Sometimes they'd be few, other times the map would be swarmed.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Strumpie posted:

Your encumbrance/weapon/stats/skills are integral to how hit is calculated so it can't be separated.
The calculation itself changes depending on numerous factors but the basic run down is:

* HIT DETERMINATION
* int base_to_hit() - The base number of sides we get in hit_roll().
* Dexterity / 2 + sk_melee
* int hit_roll() - The player's hit roll, to be compared to a monster's or
* player's dodge_roll(). This handles weapon bonuses, weapon-specific
* skills, torso encumberment penalties and drunken master bonuses.

That's pretty much what I was looking for, thanks. So from what I understand, it doesn't roll multiple times but just changes the amount of sides; aka, the possible numbers you can roll. Interesting way of doing it. The higher the accuracy is, the larger range of numbers possible. The combat roll itself is a test against the enemy dodging the attack, which is pretty common to tabletop games. Can't see many ways of exploiting this other than trying to rack up bonuses though.

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 24, 2013

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Now I know for sure the dragonflies have it out for me:

These fuckers ambushed me in my base twice in one night, even though I'm a decent distance from the coast. I haven't slept in two days and they just keep coming.

At least they don't break down doors and barricades. Hello roadkill :D.

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 24, 2013

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Every time I try to sleep, it spawns +100 creatures. Even driving around my base spawns a group of swamp beasts. They're loving besieging me; ripping down barricades and powering through my trap lines. I did end up running; Meth sure gives you the kick you need to flee.

Screw worrying about the zombies or the unstoppable fungaloids; the Bugs are what I'm concerned about.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

The King of Swag posted:

Dynamic spawn really should be limited to natural creatures (neutral, hostile or otherwise); all "monster" enemies either need to be completely static, or dynamically generated from a hive. I have no problem with swamps basically being a quick trip to mosquito death, if there was breeding pools or something that we could chuck a grenade in and eliminate the spawns.

If they did that, then the bug swarm might become a legitimate faction. I fear that day.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Okay yep, I broke something. I relocated my base FAR away from the swamp and the river and everything, and the game still spawns entire armies of swamp beasts just outside my vision range. This goddamn ridiculous.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Wild T posted:

In a world gone crazy, the most insane option is the most sane. Boil the cursed swamp water until you become a gourmet. Make gallons of insect mutagen. Chug away until you get Insect Pheremones. Become the accursed Mosquito God of the apocalypse.

...I had planned to fix the situation by transplanting my character to another map, but...

You're right. I'd spent all this time erecting barricades and defences, hiding in the shadows fearful of them. But why should I? I'm smart, I'm powerful. I overcame the zombies and their hordes, I crafted my very armour from their fallen rags. These bugs think they can come along and just tear me down- NO, I SAY! They will rue the day they crossed Hayden Foster; LORD OF THE FLIES!

Off to mutate me an insectoid demigod!

On another note, I wrote up a faux story for this whole set of shenanigans on the Cataclysm Forums proper. It ended after I busted out of my base in defeat and I planned to have it end there. But now, I may continue it in my quest to become an insect god.
Its 'ere: http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=3867.0

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
I took your advice.

With every mutation in the Insect and Spider catagories, mosquitoes, dragonflies, bees, wasps and crayfish do not dare attack him. The foolish creatures who do end up on the wrong side of a one-shot, poisoned stinger, staring down compound eyes against pale skin. He leaves a trail of fire, gore and cobweb where he roams, and is capable of pinpointing enemies in pitch black darkness with infared and nightvision. His skin is organic platemail and he wields a flaming broadsword. His body is cybernetic, capable of regeneration and able to fire pure energy from laser-tipped claws. He has made his base in the hollowed out remains of an ancient missile silo, and is guarded by an eternally respawning swarm of monsters.

I'd say that's pretty drat close to Insect God of the Apocalypse.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Turtlicious posted:

I'n following that thread now, it's a good story. You should really consider doing a full fledged LP but more mechanically inclined to introduce newer players to the game. I'd definitely read it.

I was considering moving it to SAforums and editing it a bit, but I've had some shoddy experience getting Lps up and running on here. Mostly due to my own incompetence mind.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Wild T posted:

Hayden is cooler than any mid-nineties comic book antihero by this point. I think that's what keeps drawing me back to this game. Sure, there's weird furry suits, misogyny and a forum full of terrible, awful people to back up the worst ideas. But there's also the sandbox freedom to stare life in the eyes when it dares to hand you lemons, and become an acid-dripping cyberlemon horror who treads upon his dead predecessor's bones on his endless path to make life his bitch.

There is one point where he's half-insect and takes out a bunch of zombies by riding in circles around them with Vanessa and firing shotgun shells into them. I was pretty psyched when I did that.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
I've never had much trouble with the fungus, they seem fairly benign.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Cardiovorax posted:

And also by starvation, because it seems that someone listened to the constant whining and complaining about hunting being too easy and made squirrels, rats and other small animals never drop corpses anymore, at all. Good job on making things more annoying for everyone, I guess.

Well then what they hell do they drop?

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Maybe we shouldn't use nightly builds as absolute evidence of features.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Doesn't this render snares (traps designed for small game) utterly useless?

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
I'm not too familiar with how the coding works, but it seems like vehicles work pretty fine as multi-tile things. Couldn't you alter that code so that its all different bits and pieces of a monster rather than frames and engines? If you do get that working, I can easily see things like the fungus, triffids and blobs getting giant beasties.

Having to fight the Blob would be strange and make those slime pits more fearsome.

In terms of endgame content, there's always the Terraria approach of super materials and bosses. Dunno how well that'd fit here though, but certainly salvaging rare materials might work.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Inadequately posted:

Actually that gives me a pretty neat idea for a simple multitile boss: an AI-controlled wreckage that's gone mad and slowly roams the streets at random. You'd have to limit its speed to practically the lowest possible, though. I doubt people would appreciate getting suddenly run over the moment they step into a city.

We fighting Christine then?

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Turns out if you mutate Web Weaver, you should NOT cook by an open flame. You will produce web, it will burn, and so will you.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Inadequately posted:

It would be nice if you could toggle Web Weaver on and off, like with a bionic. The webs tend to clutter up the map, and you have no way of removing them.

I thought it was like a power you could activate and encumber enemies. The webs you leave behind don't seem to slow zombies down at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Anticheese posted:

Is anyone else finding the nightlies to be a lot more full of giant insects? Dermatiks and their ilk are spawning near any body of water now for me, not just by swamps! :gonk:

Preaching the choir.