Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm trying this game out again, because I heard it got tiles and that was the only barrier to entry for me. My only issue right now is fiddling with the controls. I was getting swarmed by zombies, and I found what looked like a working car, but had no clue how to get inside (Kept getting "No Controls Here" message.) I wanted to know, what's a good character to give me a fighting chance to learn and experience the cooler type stuff? Does anyone have any newbie presets they'd like to share?

How do I do cool poo poo, like a mobile base in the back of an RV, or drive-by's on a Hulk while smoking a cig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just found a LAMOE shelter. It seems pretty Legit, especially for Static Spawn mode, so I have a question. Is there a way to back-up your save so that if you die you can return to a certain point? Is there a program that can do that if you can't do it manually?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why is this game so hard? I'v eplayed like 5 games, and they all go like this.

[s]mash locker and a bench
[g]et a rock
[&]build a crowbar / Pointy Stick
crack open a window on the outskirts of a city / town
grab a bunch of stuff, most of it useless.
Run to the next house
get killed by a poo poo ton of zombies.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I found a shimmering Portal, do I step into it?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm making the place where I started as my base, is there a way to expand the lower area?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adrian Owlsley posted:

Obviously the game is encouraging you to be cool and drop it off your armored motorcycle at 100mph.

Can you set a timer on it?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd like to be able to craft targets and spend time shooting at it, then skill up depending on length, if I hit the target or not, etc. etc

Same thing for like punching bags, or straw dummies.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game is so loving frustrating.

I've cheated myself the max extra points, I give myself 1 point in everything, I pick the backpacker, I pick the android, I take a bunch of cheat-y negative traits for more points. I smash everything. I get a crowbar / knifespear. I get a fire, I go to a house and get some stuff. I wait for night, I go to town for some more stuff. I run into a group of child zombies, a group of zombies, a group of dogs, a shrieker, a brute, a moose. I bleed. I try to fix bleeding and run away, I die.

I respawn again. I can never make it past the first night, I have no idea what anything but an apartment and a house look like, because any time I get close to entering say... A Gunshop, A furniture store, or a library Something wrecks me. Night sucks because I constantly walk into things, day sucks because I constantly get swarmed.

I know I'm bad, but it's just so frustrating because this game is what I want to play. It's the game I've been looking for for like... Ever, but I can't do jack poo poo and I've been trying on and off for a month now.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Belasarius posted:

get parkour, fleet footed and quick and you can just run away from most things. The other things you avoid by looting isolated houses and wandering the wilderness. Once you find a scientist card go to a lab and shut the door if there is anything bad on the other side. bring warm clothes. get a shopping cart.

Where do you find shopping carts?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey, what button do you press to list all the items you can see? I saw a guy do it in the LP just posted.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Would it be ok for me to stream a few games / saves and have you guys give me tips as I go along?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

deptstoremook posted:

There's a thread where people actually ask me to tell them they're bad at videogames on the internet? What thread is this?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3277599&perpage=40&pagenumber=169#pti38

Here, and I'm throwing a post up in there right now... Ish

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just had a blast. I streamed my adventures and a bunch of people jumped on and gave me tips / helped me out. In the first match of the night, I spawned in and had to fight a Zombie Master. I kicked his rear end with my knife spear, then got a quick fireplace going. I died the next day to a wolf I think.

After that, I spawned right in front of a Spider's Nest, before I even get out of the shelter, a spider LEAPS through the window attacking me. I fight it out, and one of the goons in the stream tell me how to burn that mother down. (You use matches on it.) I bled out before the fire was over, but it was the coolest drat thing to watch.

Finally, I spawned in and my bunker was tricked out. In the below bit there were shoes, food, backpacks, and purified water. five map tiles away, there were 11 dead soldiers, and they all had so much crap it took me 5 trips with 120 volume to get everything back in the base. I had rocket launchers, I had grenade launchers, I had uzi'z, rifles, glowsticks, codine, first aid kits, water tablets. The works. So I go and hunt a bit, make a bed, get a stove going. Sleep.

The next day I take a jerry can for water, scooping everything I can out of every toilet. Things start to get dice-y in the bank, so I book it. I find one of those piles of traps with land mines in it? Yeah, there were a poo poo ton of explosions.

What I didn't know was, that those explosions attract more zombies. I died in the middle of the street to a Shrieker, a Smoker, and their pet dog.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spaceking posted:

I took your advice.

With every mutation in the Insect and Spider catagories, mosquitoes, dragonflies, bees, wasps and crayfish do not dare attack him. The foolish creatures who do end up on the wrong side of a one-shot, poisoned stinger, staring down compound eyes against pale skin. He leaves a trail of fire, gore and cobweb where he roams, and is capable of pinpointing enemies in pitch black darkness with infared and nightvision. His skin is organic platemail and he wields a flaming broadsword. His body is cybernetic, capable of regeneration and able to fire pure energy from laser-tipped claws. He has made his base in the hollowed out remains of an ancient missile silo, and is guarded by an eternally respawning swarm of monsters.

I'd say that's pretty drat close to Insect God of the Apocalypse.

I'n following that thread now, it's a good story. You should really consider doing a full fledged LP but more mechanically inclined to introduce newer players to the game. I'd definitely read it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spaceking posted:

I was considering moving it to SAforums and editing it a bit, but I've had some shoddy experience getting Lps up and running on here. Mostly due to my own incompetence mind.

If you move it over to SA, they'll probably tell you to cut the narrative bits and more screenshots and make it more informative. I'd post in the Sand Castle and keep trying, even though it's brutal. God the sandcastle sucks sometimes.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow trying to get a good square font was a lesson in pain. I guess I'll be sticking to the 10x10 tileset in the experimental build.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

I just tried it again, using a freshly compiled build pulled from Git twenty minutes ago, and it's definitely the case that no corpses stay intact no matter what I do. I throw a rock for five damage, the squirrel dies, no corpse. Larger animals like cats, weasels and foxes work as before, but the spawn rate in general seems to be a lot lower than it used to be, so they're somewhat hard to find.

I can confirm this in my own build.

E: Ishould note it's probably a bug not a feature.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All those small game are considered vermin now, John just confirmed it.

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=3903.0

e: You guys need to :goon: these forums quick instead of whinging about it here. There the devs will read what you have to say and start catering to you as well as the super spergy "HARDCORE REALISM" crowd. This stuff wouldn't happen if there were a more active goon presence on the official forums.

I am whining because I'm mad about my ascii :smith:

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 27, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

flavor effigy posted:

I don't see what the problem is, wolves are constantly walking directly into my death fists to be slaughtered and fed to the fist machine. My only use for a squirrel corpse would be to burn it to cook my mountains of wolf meat on.

When new people play this game, changes shouldn't be made just to intrisically gently caress them. I have a hard enough time making it too D2 as it is. (Have never survived to day 3.)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spaceking posted:

Doesn't this render snares (traps designed for small game) utterly useless?

Yes, pretty much.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alright Goons, I made a thread on the official forums asking for things to be changed back to the way they were. If you've got a forums account, it'd probably be good to post there your arguments for why rabbits / squirrels should drop corpses.

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=3906.0

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They're going to fix it in the next build.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

Sorry for doubting you. Honestly, though, you know the kind of community you have. Can you blame me?

I'm honestly down with difficult challenges. Prepping to the point of complete overkill and then going to the Amigara Fault to grind Artifacts is one of my favourite things to do, and goddamn you need to be retarded strong to be able to pull that off. "Not starving on day one" because animal spawns got quartered is not the kind of difficulty that most people really want, though. I haven't really had a bug-free enough run to get further in than a couple of days, though, so I can't comment on the long term stuff.

What I think is this, though: Early game is fine, honestly. Cities are and were difficult enough. What animals I know about can be dangerous, but aren't murderbeasts. There don't need to be a lot of changes to the way most everything until your first lab works. What's lacking is end-game content, stuff to do once you've taken care of the basic necessities of survival (like a million billion guns and mininukes.) If it was up to me, you guys would stop fiddling with the stuff that ain't broken and start realizing things like working NPCs and the faction system, with more things like Triffid Glades thrown in for good measure.

The game doesn't really need more recipes right now, for example. There are more types of underwear now than I can count. The problem that you still run out of things to do after burning down your first fungal tower still remains.

(Also maybe implement Zombie Deodorant. Olfactory Mask is a godsend for night raids, but it's so loving hard to find. It really needs an item-based alternative.)
I'm nthing this, as I get better at the game, I'm realizing there is less to do. The early game works pretty drat good, but it's the end game that needs the work.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GlyphGryph posted:

What sort of later-game content are you interested in seeing exactly? Just things that are bigger and harder to kill? Maybe different kinds of labs, with some kinds much more difficult than others and only really suitable for high power characters? (Or merely some labs that go much deeper and get much more difficult)?

Or is it just more stuff like NPCs and Factions and Constructions where it's possible for a high level character to feel like he's making some sort of overall progress?

You know how dwarf fortress has Titans? And they're these monstrosities that will wreck everything, destroying all you love while tearing everything you worked so hard to create asunder? I'd like stuff like that in the end game. I want to tame that. I want to turn it into a vehicle and shoot lasers from it. I want to ride Godzilla into the apocalypse and keep him in a stable. This is really unrealistic, but yeah random gen super-monsters would be something I'd like to fight.

Also, being able to build a fortress in the woods and become self sustainable. Being able to take NPC's and work with them to clear our a city and make THOSE guys self sustainable. I just want direction and the ability to do more when I get further in the game.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GlyphGryph posted:

Imagine this - one day, you hear a collosal roar in the distance. You check your map, and you see that there is a /monster/ visible on it, now, so much bigger than normal that you can see it even at this distance. And it's moving. You can either intercept it, taking it out - or you can get out of it's way, until it departs.

What I'd really like is multi-tile creatures that can do things like level a path through a city, accompanied by a swarm of lesser beings - titans, in many ways.

That's sort of like my dream situation, admittedly - there's quite a lot of steps that would need to be done between here and there.

Cardiovorax posted:

That would be pretty great. Right now, there's really no advantage to settling down over keeping a nomadic lifestyle. Settling down just means that you'll eventually run out of things to loot in your immediate vicinity and have to forage farther and farther away. Making base building rewarding by causing fun stuff like NPC villagers and zombie sieges would be a great way to improve the situation.
This is exactly what I'm talking about and exactly what I'm hoping for this game. This is what I invested money in, and this is my dream game.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

No poo poo. Cataclysm: Cloverfield Edition would make for a pretty loving amazing playing experience.

Imagine seeing that huge as multi-tiled beast in the distance, then getting all your NPC's into humvees and riding out to fight it Mad-Max style.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey guys I'm starting a new game and I feel like I've learned a bit but I'm still pretty shite. I was wondering if you all could give me some advice on how to start and stuff, and what I should be doing early game.

For reference, this is the character I rolled

This is what I have after doing the basic "Smash Everything, Craft Basics"

Here is what I have around me.

I'm thinking of heading to the hotel and picking up a luggage cart, then running over to the Grocery Store / Library. I'll keep you guys updated if that's ok, and hopefully you all can help guide me to greatness. (Still haven't lived past Night 1)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh god the Hospital is filled with zombies :gonk:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

Your traits are pretty bad. Optimist is worthless and so is Self-Aware. Gourmand and Light Eater are pointless because water will be harder to find than food. Consider dropping Robust Genetics unless you think you'll get heavily into mutations; it only improves your chances of getting something good minimally. Tough is alright. Pick Fleet-Footed, Parkour Expert and Quick instead, so you'll be actually capable of running from stuff.

Grab some more disadvantages. Truth Teller and Ugly are free points, Mood Swings is nearly harmless, Far-Sighted and Near-Sighted can be taken together and will be automatically negated by te pair of glasses you start with, Wool Allergy does nothing because hardly anything is made of wool and Heavy Sleeper is actually good for you because it means you won't wake up every time a squirrel farts in your general direction. Never take Trigger Happy, some of the best weapons in the game are automatic.

Start as a Military Cadet for the combat knife and the binocular, or as a Wannabe Mechanic for the chest rig. Both are cheap and give a great boost in the beginning.

Fleet-Footed, Parkour Expert, Quick, Truth Teller, Ugly, Mood Swings, Far-Sighted, Near Sighter, Wool Allergy, Heavy Sleeper.

Military Cadet or Wannabe Mechanic.

Got it. (I died in the hotel.)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok, I rolled a mechanic for the backpack type thing, and ended up in the same spot as last time. I took the 2 left over points and placed them in Intelligence. I just want a cart from the Hotel, but I'm not sure what's the best way to get around that huge horde.

e: I guess they hosed off somewhere, or are eating my body. I got the cart!

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 30, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OwlFancier posted:

What do you need a cart for?

They have infinite storage space right? So I can fill it up with things and just drag it behind me. Also they're really good when fighting zombies / dogs I've noticed, since it slows them down.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

flavor effigy posted:

Take Krav Maga and a level in unarmed and you will immediately be able to punch through anything without getting hurt.

(note: doesn't apply to turrets)

This is true, but I got cocky.

E: I tried again with Krav Maga

:getin:

e2:

LMOE Shelter in the top right corner. I might make it past day 3.

On my way there I found some military supply crates, now I've got a rifle, 30 bullets and some clothes.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 31, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here is a thing I wish I had known. While butchering Zombies to grind skills is awesome, it's also necessary to stop them from coming back. RIP LMOE Shelter Man.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:sigh:

All of those were in one horde I had found. I was trying to find tools to build a vehicle. What exactly am I supposed to do to grind up skills? Books are kind of hard to come by. My current goals in game are A.) Mutate into something cool and B.) Build something awesome. I've been trying like hell to do both of those but I'm having serious issues surviving / finding what I need. I end up getting bored, rush too far into a place, then get swarmed and die.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spaceking posted:

I'm the opposite; I've got a mutated death-god loaded down with assault rifles, grenades and bionics, but no super monsters to obliterate. Best advice I can give is generally ignore hordes as best you can, find a vehicle for when things get hairy (smash a fridge to get a hose to siphon some gas), and if you must fight melee, always put some piece of cover between you and them. Bushes and shopping trollies work well.

Contemplating whether or not I should detonate a nuclear missile silo.

Couldn't you go into a cave? I thought those had crazy poo poo in them.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm currently having the best round of Cataclysm ever. It's not even the third day, I already have a Glock 19, a ton of bullets, an RV, and am raiding my first science lab. I can't wait to install all these CBM's (what skill does that use?) and I'm really looking forward to making my dude a Freaky Mutant (I just got Full Night Vision from a flask.) I'm actually having a lot of fun now.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anticheese posted:

Also, bionics use electronics, first aid and mechanics. Have fun!
:woop:

I have books for all those things. I'm going to become a mutant cyborg!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anticheese posted:

I typically go for 14 strength, 14 dexterity and 12 perception. Its dead easy to pick up Survival 3 from picking through undergrowth, and a knife spear is a really drat good weapon that can be made in under a few minutes.

I thought you needed 14 intelligence for books. Isn't there a hard cap to the books you can read?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e: Quote is not edit.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=4077.15

There is a really interesting debate going on in the forums between the three (I think?) developers. It's nice to read their thoughts on the game, though I have to agree with Glyph on this one. Especially when Granade was just talking about how we need to find ways to make zombies stronger into the late game.

nftyw posted:

How do all of you start out a game of Catacylsm, I'm curious. Right now I'm running version 0.8, dynamic spawn, no skill rust (because gently caress that bs)

I usually grab some rocks, craft a crowbar and then go looking for storage space and tools, throwing rocks at lone zombies and then camping out back in the shelter while raising survival skills. Lately I found pulling shrubs in the forest to train survival to 1, then making digging sticks from smashed small trees gets survival up pretty easily, letting you carve meat effectively and also letting you make a stone pot and bone needles too. Speaking of rocks, I found I have a far easier and completely ammo-unreliant time just throwing rocks or tools at squirrels and rabbits, as opposed to bothering with the giant slog that is archery.

Also grinding mechanics to 8 from just dismantling abandoned wrecks is pretty broken, once you get there you can make a pneumatic bolt rifle (though there are no ways to make steel bolts yet it seems)

I've been fiddling with the negative occupations too, I thought it was kind of strange that the shower victim had no clothes (at least start with a towel, sheesh) but still managed to have matches and a pocket knife. I tried burning both and going with not even a blade or firestarter, and learned that surviving without a sharp edge is really, really hard.

e: One of the more convenient things I discovered was using ( to disassemble long strings, you can just smash a few windows and have enough string to make survival gear or mend clothes with. I'm still kind of surprised that practicing on un-damaged clothing is still far and away the best method for training tailoring, honestly.

Start as Tailor, with an extra point in tailoring.

Spawn, Smash 2 lockers, 4 windows, and a bench. Go find a rock, cut up a sheet into rags make a backpack, a knife spear, reinforce all my clothes, and a make shift crowbar. Murder some animals if they get close / in my way, then go to a house. Pop open one or two houses so I have a day or two worth of food or water. Smash more windows, get enough rags to make a blanket, and make a makeshift bed in the downstairs area. Go find rocks, make a small stove there too.

Now it's night or close too, if I found a book I read that book, if I didn't I spend the night grinding a skill. Doesn't really matter, just grinding a skill will do.

Next day, grab more poo poo to survive another day or two. Keep grinding whatever combat skill I am using. Go back to my house drink water / eat food, grind skills. When I finally get a really high combat skill I finally start going into the "inners" of the city. I'm looking for a shopping cart and some groceries, also some books. If I succeed then I don't have to leave for two or three days and I can learn a poo poo ton about a poo poo ton.

By then I have a hacksaw or something, so I start to grind the poo poo out of cars. Once my skill is up I start building my murder wagon. I normally go for something that can have a kitchen, a bed, and some cupboards installed. Turrets are nice, but kind of unwieldly and I've always felt they were useless, YMMV. Don't make your murder house too big, you won't be able to fit it between cars on the street.

Then I go raid a science lab's first level for mutagen, CBM's, and more books. You need high mechanics, first aid, and electronics if you're going to install CBM's and honestly, you won't go wrong popping some adderal as well.