Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
Can anyone comment on the whole tetanus thing? I saw that in thread a while ago and it sounded horrible but I don't know what became of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
^or a dragged vehicle

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

I'm partial to Taekwondo. Stunlock your foes? Check. Arm+Leg blocks? Check. Bigass hunk of damage reduction on a block? Check Check Check.

It's pretty hard to take damage in melee with Taekwondo. Once you're up to about 6/6 in melee/unarmed you can go 1 on 1 with a zombie hulk without all that much worry.

Also I'm not entirely certain how exactly this works but I was once had both of my arms broken but suffered no drop off in combat which I think is because taekwondo is all kicks. It's a marginal thing but if you huff a buncha spores and can't find antifungals it's nice.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

If you lost the Bite (wherever) status then yeah check as many bathrooms as you can as fast as you can. Otherwise you can try to cauterize but it sounds like you're well past that point.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

In my admittedly narrow experience it's actually very possible to disarm mines as a no skill schmuck. I've only ever attempted it twice but I'm 2/2!

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

chiefnewo posted:

Is there a description anywhere of how all the different martial arts work and their various brokenness? I've been quite happy with karate and quick-striking zombies to death (was hilarious fun cleaning out a school as waves of child zombies attacked me but apparently my -500 guilt doesn't agree) but would like to try out some of the more interesting ones.

Also what's the easiest way to get lighting in a base beyond finding a handy working terminal? Do I need to wait until I have enough mechanics to build a solar charged headlight box?

You can build light strips with a little electrical skill or you can raid those outdoor type stores for glowsticks. If you want a more permanent and illuminating solution then yeah I think you'll have to make a solar powered light box.

^FakeEdit^: It takes a good long while but you do eventually stop feeling bad about killing child zombies.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

I was gonna make a dumb joke about Steve from accounting haunting you when you loot his sandwich from the office kitchen, but holy poo poo why aren't there ghosts and poo poo in the game? I want to get a quest from a ghost to put his shambling remains to rest and to bury him with his sandwich. Poor Steve.

V Edit V: Yes. I am now fully convinced that this is what this game needs.

Admiral Funk fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 28, 2015

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

The darker blue is actually the default color for those. The only time they're bright is if they're power generation cbms.

Admiral Funk fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 14, 2015

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

There really should be a way to diagnose poo poo like that without loving around with cybernetics or those hospital contraptions. High first aid, learning it from a book like a recipe, the md profession trait, or just needing to have a medical encyclopedia on hand would all make sense. It always bugged me that you had to go to the wiki to learn about what any of that poo poo does, how you get it, etc.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

The default range of turrets is 24 tiles I think. Although I'm not sure if the variant turrets (milspec or antimaterial) have more.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

That'd have been the cowards way out.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Shocker brutes made the capacitor CBMs actually worth something. For regular shockers unless they are accompanied by a hoard can just be shanked with a pointy stick or but god drat those brutes are deadly. I had a reasonable amount of success dealing with them in melee though by using a wooden baseball bat and getting high as balls on hardcore stimulants any time I ran into one. A bump of coke and a hit of meth make things a bit less dangerous. Depending on your situation you might be able to kill some without dying but I was in pretty bad shape by the end of any fight I tried that in.

Edit: Oh yeah while we're talking about brutes be sure to never ever EVER fight one with an obstacle behind you. Getting punched through a wall does a buttload of damage and straight up broke my reinforced ANBC suit.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

I think grocery stores and clothing stores are the only places to find shopping carts right now. Also be sure to upgrade to a wheelbarrow when you get the chance on accounta they've got like an extra 75 units of storage.

Edit: Wait no parking lots can also have shopping carts sometimes.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Oh man I had always just assumed that a trunk would be to heavy to drag around. That's fantastic. That'd give you more than double the storage of a cart or wheelbarrow.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

You can also build a recharging station but you need to mod any of your tools you want to recharge to work with it. I'm pretty sure that rechargable tools have a lot less capacity as well.

Edit: Beaten.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Maybe give zombie necromancers an overhaul. They don't seem very threatening as they are now, but if they came with a "thrall" or whatever and caused all nearby corpses to slowly crawl towards their thrall and integrate with it that would be pretty metal. Could fill the role of the supermassive gently caress-off zombie with the add wrinkle of "You could have prevented this".

Edit: Add in a guaranteed necromancer spawn in super stores. :unsmigghh:

Admiral Funk fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 5, 2015

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Once I get mobile I like to leave caches wherever I stop for any appreciable time. It's a hell of a lot easier than trying to find space for scrap metals, chemicals, electronic components and things of that sort. If you need to make something using that poo poo and can't easily scavenge what you need it's usually not hugely difficult or time consuming to get back.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

In addition to the bone machine and the drugs hospitals are the only place I've been able to reliably come upon a stethoscope for safecracking.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

There's literally no reason to not install every power storage CBM you find. Go for it.

As far as I know there's no chance of getting addicted to anything on the first dose within a certain amount of time, and honestly even with addictive personality addictions aren't that strong unless you keep using. At which point you start taking longer to get clean and the effects seem to be worse. It's a good idea to keep a lot of different stimulants on hand for when you want to install bionics. Meth, coke, crack, caffeine, sugar, and nicotine all stack and that's usually how I handle installing bionics.

Lastly it's worth noting that if you're failure chance is less than 20% you won't do yourself any permanent damage. Just be sure you can handle a bit of damage to any of your body parts.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Worth noting that some gas stations require 'em to get any gas. Those stations don't even carry diesel and you actually have to pay. That has always sorta pissed me off.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

If you'd rather save serum until you're ready to cross the threshold you'll want to be sure you've reached the third level mutation dreams. You can dig through these to find the dream for the appropriate level and mutant category.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Welp you better mount spikes on your spiked plating just be safe. :colbert:

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

I actually only recently discovered the power of armor against guns. ANBC suit vs lab turrets saw me taking no damage from about half the bullets that hit and up to 3 damage on the other half of the hits. Then I wandered into a brute enclosure and lost it when I was punched through it's window. I'd like to just state for the record that's it's bug gently caress stupid that brutes can't punch through those windows themselves but can send you flying through one and sailing another couple tiles on top of it.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

I don't know if probability travel has anything to do with that stuff but after fuckin' around on the wiki a while ago I can say that it is absolutely not fluff. I've never experienced it myself and I didn't spoil myself on the specifics but I know it exists.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

Cool thanks

Also someone mentioned earlier how it was dumb that a brute can hulk you through the plate glass but can't break out of it themselves, and so I ignored the brute in containment in a lab I was exploring.

Next thing I know a brute is running down the hall from that room at me and sends me flying. :argh:

Gotcha!

Also oh god I'm sorry I hope you didn't die. Last time it came up I waited around for a few hours of it smashing against the glass and it never got out :shrug:

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

So how viable is it to make medical mutagen until I get Robust Genetics, and then chugg down 5 gallons (literally) of mutagen?

Or is that going to kill me regardless of robustness?

That definitely won't end well. My advice is: DO. IT.

Edit: For the sake of being informative though; robust genetics just increases the odds of getting "good" mutations. Whether or not a particular "good" mutation is actually good is up for debate. The specifics of that is robust genetics changes the normal 2/3 chance of any mutation 1/3 chance of a bad mutation into 2/3 any 1/3 good. Won't save you from any addiction or overdose effects of mutagen though so :shrug:

Admiral Funk fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 3, 2015

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

What if I take Robust Genetics, the post trait that makes me heal from radiation, the negatrait that makes me emit radiation and the nega trait that makes me mutuate more often?

I thought this was a pretty sick combo

I don't know what exactly happens if you chug a bunch of mutagen but I think that just might be crazy enough to work? Am I crazy for thinking that?

V Edit V: I tried that build once and it's worth noting that radiogenic will completely stop any radiation from accumulating from the minor radioactivity mut. The midlevel radioactivity mut can outpace it if you stay in the same place long enough though so be careful about that. Fortunately if you're sleeping or crafting I think the pain will alert you before you actually start taking damage. I'm not sure how many rads you need to build up to mutate though.

Admiral Funk fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 3, 2015

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Pretty sure taking stimulants directly effects your rest level. Life is short. Stay awake for it.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Yeah I think it's "+" to get to the layering screen. It gives information on incumbrance, warmth, and stuff. Make sure your armor is in the outer layers.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

In ascii mode you can bind the scentmap to a hotkey and see how smells work. It's worth noting that at least in the last build I checked inscent doesn't actually travel that far before apparently disipating entirely. To the point that during the day if there is anything following you by scent you should be able to see it. Scent builds up pretty quickly indoors though it seems and if there's an opening outside it might spread a lot further though I haven't tested this.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Why not use fire?

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

queserasera posted:

I feel that way for some CDDA recipes, especially the cooking ones. The last time I played, the game differentiated between sealed and unsealed containers, so you had to open your cans of broth or tomatoes or whatever so the game would recognize them as ingredients.

Another game idea: gourmet cooking after the apocalypse.

Take a look at Caves of Qud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

This doesn't work for me fyi. However you can apply a knife to clothing items to cut them up. Pretty convoluted when there is a disassembly function for other clothes in the game but that's how it is

Also still stuck on getting mechanics to 1. The wiki says to repair things with a soldering iron but l'm far away from having that

E: Found a way. Make a wooden frame, start vehicle construction and get xp

Pretty ugly method for 15xp a pop. Also I can't seem to be able to deconstruct the vehicle/frame? Removing it needs mech 2 for some awful reason. Luckily I have a broken barn near where I can scavenge all the planks and nails I'm gonna need but yeah this is much more tedious than it should be

Cataclysm: This is much more tedious than it should be