Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012

This is pretty fun. I'm onto my fourth and longest lived character, though that may only be because I've had to lay low for awhile since I broke both my legs. Puttering around my shelter-base, reading and crafting. I managed to snag two NPCs to hang out with me while I heal so hopefully by the time my legs are fixed, I'll have crafted up some weapons and armor to make us a force to be reckoned with.

Does anyone know what's up with Cacodemons? I think they're from PK's Rebalancing mod. I've lost two characters now to just driving by labs in a baby's first scav-car and having a Cacodemon just pop into the passenger seat and start eating me/shooting lighting balls at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012

Are rail stations not weird and half-implemented anymore? I drove around one a few games ago and it wasn't connected to a rail-line and looked to just be full of snacks, periodicals and a crapton of zombies. I threw on the "Remove rail station" mod and haven't looked back. Hopefully they fixed them or there are different kinds of rail-station and you didn't just lose a run over the chance to loot chips, soda and comic books.

In my game everything is going swimmingly, after a training/reading marathon while my broken legs healed up I'm now in the process of making survivor suits for my party of four. While looking around for clothes/leather to craft with I found a working Humvee, it just needed fuel which I toted from a nearby gas station via jerrycan. With my expanded range I bumbled onto two NPC ?factions?

The Hub guys seem like smug science guys but trading with them lets me turn random garbage into sweet, sweet books so they can be as condescending as they want over the intercom. Then there's the guys in the Bio-lab who, for the small cost of bravely getting a name-tag from the middle of a warzone (I led the bio hulks away in my humvee while they yelled at me and then zoomed back to pick it up off a corpse) let me recruit my very own bio-operator to help find or kill an ?Apohis?. She's fives and threes in every melee/ranged combat skill so once I kit everyone out we should stand a chance.

All of that'll have to wait tho, because first I've gotta do the scariest thing I've attempted yet and save my friends dog. The thing is in a house two blocks deep in a town so we'll have to kill off a bunch of zombies to even reach the pooch. I'll also have to work out how to get the dog in the humvee, which I think I can do if I just build another seat, since if everyone goes out we fill up the car.

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012

Are NPC's bad at using guns? I rolled up on a town with my posse, all armed with M4's and we filed out of the humvee to form a firing line as the zombies made their way to us. I started shooting and the rest of the gang just stood there until the zombies were literally next to them, only then would they fire.

I guess I could just give them all shotguns so they can just blammo zombies when they get close but that's a lot less cool than standing in the middle of an intersection with my pals and painting a red line in each cardinal direction.

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012

Basing this on looking at the armor of a kevlar vest, he should be susceptible to bashing damage so maybe smack some iron on your quarterstaff. Or find a mace/sledge. Are your skills ok? I think those affect damage and to-hit.

Alternatively, I've not found anything yet that can stand up to my humvee slamming into it at 30+mph.

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012

Oh hey, something that is cool and good and the game doesn't really tell you is to go into the options and turn on the Autonotes feature. It automatically makes note of things you see on your map that aren't terrain/buildings. You can set it to filter out marking stuff like "Oh there's a bunch of bullet casings here" or "A patch of burned forest" but it's really handy for marking military supply drops/sites with dead military guys that you otherwise wouldn't notice.

Edit:^^^ The autonotes thing will usually tell you what those are, just groups of dead bodies are usually labeled as "college kids" or "drug deal" and can have to ok loot in terms of bags/guns/drugs and sometimes CBMs.

Chobayt fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 23, 2020

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

So the auto notes feature(thx for pointing that out, Chobayt) placed a note with "portal" while I was exploring a city. I checked it out but couldn't see anything unusual besides some rubble tiles in a pond and a lone gracken being chased by zombie hordes. What's up with that map extra?

Portals, from what I've seen, can range from pretty meh like you saw, up to "Never go there ever, don't even drive close by" if they have one of those floating eye things hanging around. The two times I've seen an eye they've caused a character death both times just by looking at me. Both times do to some weird-rear end bullshit that wasn't apparent at first, looking at the wiki afterward told me it's this thing called teleglow sickness.

Driving back to base, doing 40, passing a gas-station. Nudge the car to the left to dodge a zombie when "You feel nauseous." pops up, the very next turn everything turns purple and then I'm blind and skidding and crashing into a gas pump. The other time was my second ever character and the thing gave me fungal infection. I'd never even seen the Mycus at that point so I just thought I had a cold and hold up in a house with some antibiotics to ride it out. A few days later I was hacking up spores, puking brown goo and then my arms exploded. Twice.

They suck rear end and I'm not sure if there's any real counter to them aside from "Never go near portals so they never get to see me" and *hopefully* "have a souped up deathmobile-base with no windows that I drive by camera".

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Except cameras can't see very far at all. Slow driving only.

Slow driving is no big deal as the plan is to make a giant lumbering death car, bristling with automated laser turrets, with a speedy bike bolted onto the side for when I need to zip around quick.

Actually, wasn't someone updating that tank mod again? I should look that up since tank treds would help the "Jawa Sandcrawler made of garbage" I'm envisioning. Does anyone know how the main cannon guns in that work? I imagine they're bigger than your mounted M249-size turrets but I dunno how that'd work in-game.

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012

Fun heads-up: While venturing back down for those corpses seems a bit dangerous, this goes for any zombie you'd like to dissect: I was storing up a bunch of corpses until I got a scalpel to dissect them and I guess I waited too long because they disappeared.

I'm glad Kevin realistically modeled what happens to an exposed corpse. No rotting away to reveal bones and metallic/computer bits or desiccating into a husk, all the corpses I dragged back to base just poofed one day.

Other than that I've sorta stalled out after moving up north a good distance and finding that the second Hub01 I settled near is bugged out into not even responding to me when I talk to the intercom. I guess I'll wait until the new inventory system is sorted out and then upgrade so I can use the Vehicle Additions mod. Hopefully they don't rip the fun out of the game in-between now and then.

Edit: vvvvv I know traders at factions (The Refugee Center, Hub01) do, it takes a couple days and it's not a complete refresh. They sorta shuffle new things in and lose some of what they had.

Chobayt fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012

Ooh! I remember reading something about that. If I remember rightly, there's some kind of environmental effect in the tower that doesn't permeate into the cells, either the heat or some form of miasma/gas in the air. I think they said if you give them a gasmask or protective apparel they'll follow you out. I've not cracked into one or tried this myself so this may all be false.