Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Yes, but again, the point is a lack of real choice in character development. Eventually you can get everything, but at present, there's very little way to get what you want, specifically.

Hm, since there's a way to "guide" what sort of mutations you get, with specific ____ mutagens, maybe with sufficient levels of the same skills that determine bionic installation you should be able to adapt bionics into other bionics. Not PERFECTLY, but... maybe you can turn two of ANY bionic into a random bionic of a specific category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

I think there's a difference between having one of your first characters stumble upon a crate full of energy weapons and going "holy crap, energy weapons!" and seeing energy weapons on the list of starts. So at the very least I can definitely see the merit of an "injected by fungaloid virus" scenario not unlocking until you've actually encountered fungaloids.

Or maybe it just being a mystery what the scenario is, but it's still selectable.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

They ALSO use just straight intelligence too, so make sure to boost that with drugs when you actually install.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Ugh, a pretty good run has been hit with a bug where sleeping never makes me less tired. And I'd lucked out finding a vial of Mutagen and then getting High Night Vision too.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Are you sure you aren't just REALLY tired? Once you go several days without sleep, you'll have to conk out for basically a full 24 hours before you recover. If you aren't sleeping well (aim for a bed, plenty of warmth if it's chilly, somewhere inside and dark where the sun won't bother you) it will take even longer.

I was not, in fact, just REALLY tired, it started more at just tired and tired wouldn't go away no matter how much I slept, and then dead tired and it wouldn't go back to tired no matter how much I slept, and then exhausted and it wouldn't go back to dead tired no matter how much I slept.

I actually just managed to fix it by downing 20 caffeine pills at once though, so :shrug:.

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 8, 2013

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

WELP the stable release still crashes when you try to use the construction menu. Back to the 8.whatever nightly backup I kept for me.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

It was brought up a while back and I believe the general response was "well if he actually sticks with it that could be interesting."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Jesus loving christ I'm glad I stopped playing shortly after the crafting furniture fiasco.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

I'm pretty sure toady plans to do exactly that after the million other things he's got in the pipeline though?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Bionic assassin for me. It's just so fun to start out with the Monomolecular blade and ninjutsu through the close quarters battle CBM.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

It's not clear from the UI but actual fullness isn't that important and if you focus on staying full you will 100% get fat.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

That's our Cataclysm:DDA!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Iíve never played with the railgun CBM but I like to imagine throwing a grenade at a zombie so hard I kill them before it goes off. (Then I would be disappointed because I just wasted a grenade.)

Ah but what if there's another zombie next to them? Then its just as useful as a grenade but more importantly is Kickin' Rad.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

So if I understand it right then the game operates with a bubble of 100 tiles around you where things keep going? Does that apply to everything or only to actors such as monsters and animals? I just made a kiln in a nearby forest for charcoal and a smoking rack and now I wonder if they will freeze operation when I move too far away? Same question also goes for the crops I planted.

Kilns and plants and other similar things, tend to operate on a setup of "as soon as it's in the bubble again, check how much progress there SHOULD have been and go to that."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is there a way to get the Shift-O Autosorting system to ignore specific items? Let's say I wanna keep a few items in my kart that might useful while raiding but not critically needed to be carried on my person (EG: a toolbox or blowtorch and welding goggles) and I don't want to have to recover them every time I sort out my loot.

Create a custom sorting area that contains those specific things, put it right next to where the unsorted items go so that at least it's very EASY to recover them afterwards.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Sillybones posted:

Is there a place that lists all the mods? Is it basically this: https://cddawiki.chezzo.com/cdda_wiki/index.php?title=Gameplay_Mods ?

I want to disable needing to balance vitamins and thought that was a base game mod but it seems to not be. I am dumb.

It was, they finally went through and marked all the "get rid of the dumb changes we made" mods as "obsolete" though FOR NOW they're mostly all still included and you just need to go through to the mod file and set "obsolete: yes" to "obsolete: no." They plan to remove them completely soon though.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Holy poo poo that was a really dumb death. I ventured into a military base without realizing I was on extremely low stamina, but the whole reason i was going in was to recover loving wooden javelins.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Since vehicle construction came up recently, what's the skinny on roller drums instead of wheels? I found a working vehicle with 60" roller drums and now I wonder if it's a waste of my time to bring it back and take them off?

I know they DID suck but I think vehicle collision has been gone over again since then so maybe they don't know.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Stathol posted:

At this point, I could just dig in and not leave my base for days while I work on skilling up, setting up a butchery station, charcoal kiln, smoking racks, etc. but I'm concerned that the zombie evolution is going to severely outpace me if I do that. I'm frequently seeing evolved zombies -- mostly slavering biters and feral runners -- as early as day 3 on default settings. I've even encountered a day 4-5 dissoluted devourer (what is this an upgrade to, anyway?).

I'm not actually sure feral runners are "evolved," I've definitely seen them in the starts where you start surrounded first move.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

TBH i'd consider just telling them to use the latest stable.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Eh, I can KIND of get the logic behind it. Cordless drill is putting a bunch of preexisting parts together, hand drill is making it entirely from scratch.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

I'd probably go with you just have one big mass of inventory, but you can proactively assign stuff to particular items of clothing within that inventory. Anything that you assign to your clothes instead of your backpack definitely won't get dropped. Anything you assign to the backpack definitely will. Anything that isn't assigned, will follow the previous rules for dropping stuff.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Some of this sounds like stuff that could be maintained as a mod so long as the devs aren't actively trying to break compatibility because they disagree with it, which presumably the bright nights team wouldn't be.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

At least that GM actually gets to experience loving his players over, instead of simply getting mad about the mere idea of people enjoying themselves.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Lol that was one of the one things where someone ever managed to get kevan to accept realism that made things LESS tedius instead of more, now he's rolling it back?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

So I like to run Infected starts spawning in churches because the steeple gives a great view to try to find a pharmacy. This game I spawned in a medium-small town, no pharmecy around, but it was small enough that I thought I could make a decent run for it to try to get to another town that hopefully would have a pharmacy. The better part of a day later I get to another medium small town, this one's got farm with a two story farmhouse on the outskirts so I get to the second story to scout it out a little better and then wait for nightfall. This one does have a pharmacy, wonderful! I pass the time by working on tailoring some better clothes than what I looted from a cabin in the woods on the way...

And my infection just clears up on it's own, late afternoon. Seriously THIS run where a pharmacy was such an adventure is the run where that happens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Acid bombs are apparently completely silent compared to a molotov's only fairly quiet, and also won't attract things via light either.