Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Is there an up-to-date guide to compiling this in Visual Studio?
I've pulled the Git repo into Visual Studio, and I'm busy stomping on compliation errors. So far I've just been making sure I've got all my dependencies, but I'm getting a lot of ambiguous call errors that I'm guessing weren't a problem for the developers.

EDIT
Most common errors are dump in dump.cpp not taking two arguments, and read_from_file_optional being an ambiguous call to overloaded function in serveral cpps.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

PiCroft posted:

I have a pull request to fix this up as we speak, but its taking forever because they are extremely nitpicky about it.

https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/18176
Great, thanks! I'll give the changes a try after work.

Looking forward to building a Silat master and reenacting the Raid.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Cyborg Cookie Monster? I've really got to get this gasket compiling.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

So when are they implementing the Buster Keaton style lining up the window of a collapsing building with your character?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I am super tired and greatly amused by misreading that as "armor made from methamphetamine".

Isn't the NPC system how you deal with skill rust and avoiding omnicompetence? Tell your NPC grunts to practice and craft while you're off adventuring and scrounging. Have them specialize?
Haha, then some grog who prefers crafting can make some Recettear-style crafting management mod that makes the NPCs do the pesky adventuring for you.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Does anyone use the android version, from the app store? I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to remap the "open keyboard" button - there's still an issue with the default key "back" shutting down the game if you try to use the keyboard more than once.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

geeko55 posted:

I think that's an issue with the latest stable. If you find one of the newest Experimental build .apk files and use that, it should fix that issue. At least, it did for me!

It's honestly incredible that they've got CDDA running well on a phone in the first place.
Yeah, the little bits I've played have been pretty smooth.

I've been using the experimental from the Play Store, uh, 10264/0.D-11668-g6a39a45. Looks like it's a little behind.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

How do addictions work? I'm getting the hang of this game and have what seems like a reasonable start as a hobo, but I've got the shakes something fierce. Can I try to taper off or do I need to go cold turkey?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

Tapering off is generally best right at the very start; once you have a good safehouse and a decent stockpile of survival supplies, you can try going cold turkey. The penalties for severe withdrawal are unpleasant - best to avoid having those coincide with active looting or crafting.
Thanks! But now I realize I don't actually know what any of the timing is - when is it safe to take another drink? I've been putting off going into town until the shakes go away, mostly just smashing up shacks for wood and foraging in the woods.
Does addiction still function like on the wiki? Start at 20, wait through 200 minutes of withdrawal to get to 9, 90 minutes to get to 3, and so on?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Welp, got turned into zombie chow. Probably going to skip the addicted start next time, didn't realize it was going to be that crippling or take that long to get rid of.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

The advanced inventory system is handy, but I have a hard time moving a variety of items - every time I move an item, the locations in each tab change. Is there a way to move multiple items from one tile to another?

Also, vat grown bodyguard helicopter crash seems promising so far.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I did an effortpost upthread but yeah, Helicopter Crash is the best start. You’re bleeding but one of the zombie soldiers will have a first aid kit or a bag of hemostatic powder. You will get a couple more STANAGs and you might get lucky with an M249 with 100+ rounds.
I got away pretty unscathed, but I had a hard enough time dealing with the pilot. I'm a little scared to take on the soldiers. :ohdear:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Most of the helicopter careers start you with a rifle. (P)recision shots with it take out soldiers no worries.
Vatgrown bodyguard starts with a bodyguard knife and a suit. I did manage to get the pilot's MK17, though, so I guess I will go back and try that.

Or maybe start again with NPC settings cranked up.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Welp, that didn't work out so good. Emptied the M17 into the zombie, tried to stab it up, and got eaten for my troubles. Poor Billy King, free for only an hour.

Time to make a new start - is DisableNPCNeeds still a necessity, or do the Basecamp/Zone mechanics make that more manageable?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Vehicles - I'm a bit short on tools but I want to make something I can drag things around in. Can I build a folding wooden frame with a folding wooden box on, fill it with cargo, and grab it to drag it off somewhere?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

You can do that, you might need casters though from shopping trolleys if your strength isn't high.
Vat grown bodyguard, 14 strength is enough to just grab a folding wooden frame with a folding wooden box, but I got frustrated with trying to manage the volume so I just went with the "drag ground objects". Took a while and it was getting dark so I dropped the stash and dashed off to an LMOE shelter I found. I'll finish in the morning.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Oops, turns out the LMOE shelter has a bunch of handy supplies and tools, but has a broken generator and is completely dark. I think I'll take a day or two to sort through everything and then move on.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Is this down to world gen? I'm starting day 60, haven't had any cold issues. Haven't had much in the way of heat issues, either. I have "Hot: Mouth" but I can't tell if its doing anything.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Lucky I found the LMOE shelter - managed to catch the flu. Good place to hole up and putter around while waiting for it to go away. Should give me enough time to figure things out before having to move on to the city.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Things have been going pretty good so far. Don't have a ton of gear, but I found a working electric semi and a decent ruined cabin to camp in. The city is far away and on the other side of a river, I think I'm going to take a bit to salvage what I can nearby and practice some skills.

Got a what I think is some kind of spider pit nearby - no spiders on the surface yet, but I there's a hole down a z level full of webs. I might try to clear it out before I leave. Maybe with fire.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

goatsestretchgoals posted:

:ghanian pallbearer gif:
Fair, but I think I'm a little stuck as to what I should do - this is first game that I haven't been slaughtered immediately. I've found a decent spot for a breather, there's enough acorns and forage for me to live off vegetable sandwiches for a while, and I'm not sure how long I should spend building the place up. I need to hit the city to get more tools - at least a wrench.
But the city is really far away, not on the same map screen, on the other side of the river, and the only bridge is almost as far in the other direction.

And I just realized there's a roadblock with at least a riot turret in the way. I don't know if I can drive a semi through a roadblock or not, I might have to take it across the fields and hope for the best.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Playing on stable.

The one turret I saw was specifically a riot turret.
I also snuck past a MiGo (and a bunch of dead college students. It was in the open, so I think im just going to try and ram that too.

I think I'm going to strip down a couple wrecks before packing up and moving on. I need to boost my Mechanics to 4 to strip composite armor off a military truck - definitely planning to cart that off for whenever I can find tools to install it.

I'd like to try ramming the roadblock, but I'm worried about damaging my electric semi. I don't have any way to fix it yet. Maybe drive in reverse to let the trunk take the impact.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Just found out there's a difference between the lifting and jacking qualities, which is why the makeshift jack wasn't working out. Also unfortunately means my character wasn't just picking up the side of the truck instead of using a jack.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Still camped out, grinding up mechanics. Forage is getting a bit thin, so I think I will move on when I can strip the armor off the military truck. Also found out the semi has (mostly intact) solar panels, so that's incredibly sweet - I was worried about rationing electricity. I think I'm going to bolt on extra headlights to use a light source for night-time crafting.
Might move on down the road and use practice targets to train up ranged skills.

The first couple times, the skill grind has actually been pretty satisfying, but next time I think I'm just going to crank up the skill pool before I get sick of grinding.

Also, flipping through the vehicle menu, there's apparently a yoke and harness? One of my long term goals is now to build a roach coach, pulled by giant roaches.

Edit: Speaking of nutrition, I haven't noticed any vitamin issues and have mostly been living off veggie sandwiches. Would it have anything to do with my character going from morbidly obese to overweight?

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 30, 2020

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Stripped off all the armor from the military vehicle to use later. Added two squares of wood armor and two squares of wood ram to the front, but the forage is getting thin enough around here I think I need to move on.

Oh man, I almost forgot, I should take a detour to the helicopter crash and see what I can salvage.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Can I armor up a windshield and still see through it? I managed to put together a few more wooden armor kits.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Sweet, thanks. Just need to rustle up some more nails now and I'm on my way.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Yeah, definitely something I'm keeping an eye out for when I hit the city and can get some tools.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Well, back on the road. I ran over the MiGo yelling "WELCOME TO EARTH!". It mimiced me just as the ram made impact. It's now a couple gallons of lamp oil.

Think I'm going to try to back into the roadblock, hopefully spare some of the engines and panels in the front and not get shot by any turrets.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

You know, if they keep up development long enough and continue with the NPC advances, the endgame enemies aren't going to be zombies or aliens or anything, it's going to be rival gangs of equally crazy survivors and their deathmobiles.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Rats, so, I successfully backed into the first riot turret, but I tried ramming my way backwards through the roadblock, got stuck, had to dive out the door and get in a lucky hit on the other turret. Truck seems to be okay, just need to get it unstuck. Unfortunately I think I crushed most of the loot, and worst of all I can't find my toolbelt and a couple of my tools anywhere. I hope they didn't fall out or get destroyed or something.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Found a pair of NPCs in a desolate barn on the side of the road. One was a hallucinating psycho who chased me around with a trench knife, got stuck on a tree, and took 6 rounds of 30-06 to bring down, and the other gave me a quest to find a relic that I could hear despite being deaf from only having a makeshift silencer and no earplugs.
Still in the middle of nowhere.

Then down the road I found a mostly intact APC with an M2 turret. It's just mocking me, I keep finding all this stuff, but I dont have the tools to install it or more storage space.
I think the most sensible course of action is to strip off what I can and stash it for later.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Weird but workable, I got stuck behind a traffic jam on a bridge but I'm making my way through by disassembling squares of cars that are getting in the way of my semi. I'm not entirely sure how to interpret this, but I'm leaving behind a trail of cars that are half untouched, half just neatly disassembled.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

That sounds like a Roadside Picnic thing. An area, rigidly defined with razor-sharp edges, in which everything mechanical has been neatly disassembled and stacked in piles.
Yes, very much so! Especially if the cars are still standing perfectly upright on two wheels, until you bump into them.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Managed to find an Atomic SUV. Salvaged the minireactor and stuck it in the trunk for whenever I can find a welder. Does draining mean what I think it means?

This is an incredibly long bridge and all these assholes left their cars over the center line. I'm having to pop the wing mirrors off the side of my car to squeeze by some.

Edit
^^^ Any martial arts work well with hatchets or axes? Now I kind of want to try a Stylish Axe Gang profession or something.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Oh. Well. I guess I will leave it behind, then.

Actually getting pretty hungry lately. Getting through the traffic jam on the 33 tile Bridge took a couple days. On the plus side, I scrounge a mi if ridge, kitchen, and more solar panels. Also, fungaloids are vegetarian!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Whee, found an NPC, found an orchard, cleared it of zombies, feeling good. Think I have time to get everything organized.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I'm doing base building - if I want to use things like a vehicle mini-fridge and RV Kitchen unit, does it make sense to use the vehicle system to build an enclosed wheel-less "vehicle" to use a house and slap some solar panels on top?
Are there any drawbacks to that? Does it interact weirdly with NPCs?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Okay, I'll give those a try, that's really helpful thanks.
And oh man that vehicle wrapped around a building thing makes me think of Baba Yaga's hut, just need like chicken walker legs or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Welp. Got got in a fight with a survivor, who ended up tossing some kind of bomb that blew up everyone, himself included.

At least I've got a better idea what I'm doing now. Going to start again, but give myself some extra skill points to save time.