Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Run? Is there a sprint button or something?

I think it's only in the experimentals, but " switches between running and walking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Illegal Username posted:

How the balls do i find a safe space to sleep in a world with hordes on?

They just inexorably seem to show up no matter what kind of distances i travel.

I'm not 100%, but I think hordes are just broken and 1000 zombies will follow you forever. I tried them once, couldn't move without tripping over a zombie hulk and haven't touched them since.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Sage Grimm posted:

My initial survivor just had a number of crates sort of scattered around the console, sorting for parts, food, medical supplies, books, and armor/weapons. Of course once I built a porta-home (three large electric motors dragging along a solar array!) that sorting became a lot more chaotic since there's no way of labelling each cargo space/hold/box.

"e" to examine the vehicle, then "a" to label a section. It's helpful for keeping track of what you're storing where.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Angry Diplomat posted:

If you play as a detective, cop, or Robocop, the eyebots acknowledge you as the responding officer and you can steal, I mean uh, catalogue as evidence, anything you want :haw:

Can you do something similar with a deputy's badge? I found one in a police station and figure wearing it might help with that sort of thing.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Raided my first science lab today.

Or at least thats what I'd like to say. Thank goodness I was wearing a Kevlar vest, a Kevlar lined trenchcoat, and an (empty) MBR vest. Those loving SMG turrets, shiiit. I got shot to pieces, I think I nearly lost an arm! (can you lose limbs?)

How the hell are you supposed to deal with those things? I got shot to bits just trying to use the "X" function to peek around the doorway.

You can't lose limbs, though they break if they hit 0 health. At that point, you won't be able to heal the limb with first aid and sleeping won't help. You've got to craft an arm/leg splint and wear it for a few days until it starts healing, or visit a hospital (full of zombies) and use a Mr Stemcell machine (need computers skill).

Turrets are a pain, though you can get a little warning that one is in the next room. Turrets give off light for a few spaces around themselves, it's how they spot you since they can't see in the dark. If you turn off whatever you were using to see in the lab, turret lights will illuminate walls. There's a turret inside the far room in this screenshot.

There still might be turrets in other rooms, but they shouldn't be able to see you if you open the door with your flashlight off, or if you're using light amp or mutations to see in the dark.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Do zombie masters only work on regular zombies? I've seen more masters in towns with monster evolution, but by the time they're common all of the zombies have become tough zombies, and I don't see the masters upgrading them.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Mzbundifund posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, I went and crafted a radiation biomonitor but it says I'm not irradiated. Then it said to have a nice day. I guess my guy put that feature in to try to cheer himself up. :3:

The radiation attack's a beam that fires out of their mouths. I think they've got a few actions that don't do anything, coughing up dust might be like that.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Blackray Jack posted:

So uh I was switching out my trench knife for this new hunting knife I found and I press the wrong key, resulting in these options.

http://i.imgur.com/AMlWpdg.png

I'm keeping it a direct link so as to avoid spoilers, but yeah. Can anyone explain? :stare:

Also, is there a way to disassemble something on the ground? Like say a policebot. I can't carry it cause then it'd cause me to go overweight and I just shot myself up to 100 pain trying to disassemble it.

I saw this a while ago and looked it up, I've not actually tried it. You carve up the zombie so it can't attack, then when it revives it'll be 'friendly' and you can put a backpack on it to have it carry stuff for you. You take a massive morale hit, and it's got a chance to not work, with the zombie either being dead permanently, or still being hostile.

They might still be really slow too, it really doesn't seem useful.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Larry Parrish posted:

Quick question, since the wiki doesn't say. Is there an easy way to get into gun stores. You can't seem to pry the bars or doors with a crow bar. Can you cut them open with an acetylene torch or something? Usually I just ram a working car into them full speed but I'm lazy.

Lockpicks are easy to make, though I think the game still calls them picklocks. Activate them on a locked door and hopefully you'll unlock it. Mechanics skill might help, although I'm not sure.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Oh, speaking of control laptops, anyone have an idea of the most likely place for HackPro USB drives to spawn? I think I found one in a lab my last game but I've been through like six or seven labs and haven't seen one yet.

What are USB drives actually useful for? How do you use them?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Artificer posted:

But it laser targeted me from far away and then we both closed distance with each other before I stabbed it a couple of times in the face with a spear!

And then I backed off and shotgunned it.

I think the laser targeting is only for a grenade (or missile?) launcher at long range, if you were closing the distance you could have gotten inside the minimum range before it had a chance to fire.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Only the "USB Drive with HackPro" is useful, and you don't actually activate it -- it's an ingredient in a control laptop, which allows you to flip hostile robots over to friendly. Having a pet Chicken Walker is on my list of "things to do before I get bored and suicide." :v:

Huh, I actually built one of those a few days ago, I just didn't notice that's what it used. Thanks anyway :v:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Artificer posted:

I don't suppose energy weapons can spawn in lab barracks? I haven't had any luck so far.

Also I can't remember the location of the stairs up. Goddammit.

I think they can, though they'll be rare.

There's an option to automatically mark stairs up/down with a note on the map, turning that on might help you find them. Otherwise, I think you can escape with the debug menu.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Artificer posted:

Mutations of a line (plant, cephalopod, lupine, etc.) make it so that you are locked out of other lines right? So if you're deep into a line but haven't crossed the threshold yet, and you inject another kind of serum, you start losing your original mutations first and then you get the mutations of the new line?

Not quite. A few mutations are opposed and cancel each other out, but you can go fully down one tree and partially down others. As an example, my current character's across the arachnid threshold and maxed on that mutation tree, but he's also got bark and leaves mutations from the plant tree. He can't cross the plant threshold to get the deeper mutations though.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Mzbundifund posted:

What happens when mutations conflict with your birth traits? For example if I start with Sleepy but inject alpha serum until I roll Less Sleep, am I then just sleep average or does the mutation override Sleepy entirely and leave me with all the benefits of Less Sleep? What if I then purify that mutation away, do I get Sleepy back?

They can overwrite your traits, I've seen ugly change to pretty, so you might be able to get a few extra points taking traits that will be reversed by your planned mutations.

Purifier would give sleepy back in your example, it tries to get you back to your base character at creation.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Avernus posted:

So I'm at like z -5 in a lab and I came across some stairs doing down, except I get a pop up saying the stairs are broke half way down. It gives me the option to jump. Anybody know what's down there or are broken stairs a thing I just haven't really come across yet? If I jump down is there gonna be a way out (assuming RNG doesn't screw me)? I'm nervous about the because the last time I hit z -6 I got swarmed by horrific Lovecraftian abominations.

I've seen the stairs are missing message, though I've never jumped down. At a guess, there might not be stairs back up, either because of a glitch generating the lab or because something's destroyed them. Labs don't have fixed depth so z-6 might not be the bottom, and it sounds like you got the monster containment/subprime access point finale, which isn't properly implemented and doesn't have any loot.

You best options are either to look for another way down, or backup your save, jump and report back what you find.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

GlyphGryph posted:

Wasn't the gunpowder change more for gameplay reasons of "we want this to be a limited resource" than realism reasons? Not that they were good reasons either way.

It was because home cooking gunpowder in your chemistry set is completely unreasonable, unlike using it to make chemicals that turn you into a fish.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Caidin posted:

Well strictly speaking I think there is a npc spawn rate thing in world creation settings. Fiddling with it in any fashion seems to make them vanishingly rare or 6 spawn around the house I spent the night in without much of a middle ground though.

I think it's only in the experimentals, not the stable version though.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Sage Grimm posted:

Kinda. Zombie scientists have a special ability and one of the possible effects is spawning a single manhack. The only way I can think of that spawns a giant mound of them is an alarm going off; I've managed something like 10 drop down on me in a Lab when I failed a hack.

It's the monster infighting. If there's a lab room with a mi-go or something in containment then once they see each other the zombie scientist will spawn a manhack occasionally trying to fight it. They can't reach each other through the glass, so the scientist will keep on releasing manhacks until you kill it.

ro5s fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 23, 2015

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

SynthOrange posted:

Well I decided to start messing about with fishing and rivers and what not.

Til I found out that sharks can also be zombified.

With all the Junji Ito references in the game, I'm surprised they can't walk yet.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

T-man posted:

Is there a way to remove bionics now?

You can try to remove damaged/malfunctioning stuff, though it needs a first aid kit and high first aid skill, and you'll still probably take a bunch of damage and pain doing it. I'm not sure if you can remove functional bionics.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Teddles posted:

How do electric cars work anyway? I've found one with two batteries and three solar panels but after driving it home and going to sleep, it's run out of power and doesn't seem to be recharging.

Are the batteries damaged? Yellow or worse damage will drain constantly, even if the engine's off. I think it won't charge if it's out of the reality bubble too, so you'll need to stay close to it to charge it up.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Motherfucker posted:

So I've been doing some JSON modding to make a 'rigger' class (like Shadowrun) and I've got it mostly down, but I kinda wanna include a trait in the class that either gives them some of the robot schematics from the start or lowers the skill or intelligence requirement for making robits.

Is that even dooable?

The only thing I can think of is to start them off with a unique book with custom, easier schematics in it. I think if you don't put it on a loot table, it won't spawn, either.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Red_October_7000 posted:

I've got a book on sword fighting which should be good for me, but the two-hander seems to train me in Bashing weapons, not edged weapons, for some reason.

Examine your word, I think there can be replica versions of a lot of medieval armour and equipment that are blunt and don't do much damage or offer much protection. You might have one of those, if it doesn't have good cutting damage and the description mentions it being fake or a replica then it's not much use.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Coolguye posted:

protein starvation from eating like 100% protein (rabbits) is a thing. however, i don't think that'd actually be that fun or interesting.

I don't think this will stop the devs.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Cataclysm's development suffers from it's nature of people working on whatever they want. Rather than put in an actual endgame or tweaking things like grenadiers or NPCs they're just putting in tedious bullshit like the vitamin poisoning or cybernetics slots, or removing craftable gunpowder for realism.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

palamedes posted:

You might be interested in the No Explosive Zombies, Simplified Nutrition, and Craftable Gunpowder mods. They're all in the core release.

Eh, at this point it's the lack of an endgame that's putting me off. Beyond running some crazy gimmick that I'll get bored of eventually, it's fairly easy to reach the current end state of raiding labs to get more gear to raid more labs with nothing to really do afterwards. I find Cataclysm has the same sort of 'losing is fun' element Dwarf Fortress has, my best experiences with that game were my early forts that all went horribly wrong because I didn't know what I was doing.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

I've always liked that the optimal survivor for the end of the world is a genius with the body of Adonis, who has no idea how to use the internet of bake a potato.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

But you see verisimilitude and faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

- The Cataclysm:DDA dev log.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

nftyw posted:

What does uncooked meat do to you in these builds, does it give you Nethack level food poisoning and force you to look for a unicorn horn?

It gives you brain parasites, which are a massive pain in the rear end. Lots of weird visual effects on screen, maybe hallucinations and other problems too? It's been a long time since I've had them on a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Be sure to examine it too. A few of the swords you can find have low quality prop/replica versions with the same name that aren't useful as weapons too. If it broke quickly that might be a sign it's not a legit sword.