Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Soooo does the atomic lamp, or any of the atomic items for that matter, leak out radiation in close proximity to itself? Because I've been getting mysterious increases to my dosage as time progresses and I haven't been anywhere near any of the radiation sites.

If so, it is a shame because I liked not having to worry about fueling light sources or making a good cup of coffee in the morning with the right amount of fizz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Ha, I was being creative with my words, didn't expect they'd include a NUKE brewing option. That's awesome. I'll have to hunt down that coffee maker then!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Figured out where my radiation doses were coming from. Bastard zombie scientists can shoot "beams of light" as their special attack, which sleets radiation right through you and possibly give you a mutation! :argh:

I turned Albino when I stumbled into a FEMA camp. I think it's time to get a rifle and blow them away from well outside their range.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Carry it in your bare hands! :black101:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Sounds about right for a character starting out in a shelter well outside city limits. Moose are ornery and will run you over before you're ready.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Were you just pitting monsters against each other or trying to kill things with the 'best' setups?

Could you set off explosives via RPG, collapsing the building on top of them for maximum damage?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Hypothetically if the apocalypse had just happened. More likely is that the water has been sitting in that tank for however long public utilities had stopped working.

Don't drink the toilet water geez what are you a mutant? Get crippingly drunk instead! At least you know that's safe!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

More special type zombies replacing the normal ones as time passes, certain special types get upgraded (shocker zombies -> shocker brutes, etc.).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

How effective are Molotov Cocktails against, say, Brutes? I opened a door and found myself 5 tiles away from one. He's seen me, and I don't know whether I have better odds hucking a Molotov at him or just slamming the door and running. I have Quick and don't currently have any speed penalties, so I get 110 movement points. This is literally my first character ever and I have never fought a Brute before.

They'll burn, but unless you can stun him in the first few attacks you're better off just booking it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

My initial survivor just had a number of crates sort of scattered around the console, sorting for parts, food, medical supplies, books, and armor/weapons. Of course once I built a porta-home (three large electric motors dragging along a solar array!) that sorting became a lot more chaotic since there's no way of labelling each cargo space/hold/box.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

If you don't think dicking around in an environmentally friendly heavily scaled up version of an F1 racer (heavy is a good word for it, I can only safely max out at 50 km/h) is the pinnacle of mechanics I don't know what to tell you.

It's too wide to take through a town without having to stop and decompile/smash all the incidental wrecks on the streets, however. But it gives me time to find the one or two vehicles that are close to/in working order and take them on a rollicking joyride. At least until essential parts of the machine get torn out and I'm left coasting, praying the seatbelt holds.

I like taking it for lonely rides through heavily wooded areas.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 8, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Nah, first comes the cam bots to scope the area and take selfies with any ruffians. Then come the riot bots to hose everything down with gas and tazers.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Well, you might find a use for the plutonium cells that they can disassemble into. But always immediately install Mk IIs.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

President Ark posted:

Taking cars apart lets you raise your mechanics skill up to at least 14, which is the highest I've gotten it so far. If it caps higher than that I don't know about it.

If there is a cap, it's well past that. I've got something like 21 from dis/assembling cars. It's probably the easiest skill to exercise after a certain point because wrecks are everywhere.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

Does this happen even if you don't screw up any of the installs?

I don't believe so, you only can get mutations if you fail and if the failure chance is greater than 28%.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I think repairing gas tanks are something like requiring level 3 in mechanics (and the tools to fix 'em ie wrench, duct tape or welder+goggles). Most repair jobs are about that level.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

You can do something similar with slapping in multiple engines to make your car-beast safely faster, but there's a multiplier required for each one placed. So if you have already one, then you'll need at least twice the skill as putting in the first one, three times for the third, and so on. Something something making them work together is probably the explanation for the difficulty increase.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

To expand on this, you need to be in the destination container (select the container in the list and then hit C) while the other side's cursor is on the container to empty. Hitting enter from the source item will move its water up to the destination's maximum.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Firefighter zombies and soldier zombies. :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Get a shottie. Blast his face in. What's aiming? :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Some monsters can mimic human voices. The most common of them are Mi-gos.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Where else? Scavenging from broken cambots!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

dylguy90 posted:

Did someone make a mod that turns off all the dumb katanas/fedoras/wolf suits? I'd love to not have to experience any of that. Other than that, the game is awesome.

Get a lighter/flamethrower and burn every single thing that disgusts you. Re-enact Fahrenheit 451.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Static spawns means the world will start pre-generated with a selection of zombies. Wandering spawns will guarantee that there are hidden spawn points that track by noise/smell too maybe?? and periodically pop out zombies. It just adds to the mix.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Never tried it, but 2x extra-light frame, 2x solar panel, 2xwheels of choice (if food cart can manage on casters I guess it would be okay there), welder on one section, storage battery and casing on another (unless they can be added to the same square as the welder) seems like a pretty good setup. Hell, you could have an inert solar panel shell sitting somewhere charging up batteries and replace your welder cart's occasionally without having the panels to reduce weight, sort of like the auto street sweepers you see scattered around towns.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Reminder that no matter the question in Cataclysm, you can always answer it with fire and lots of it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

As long as your fire is fueled with dynamite.

Other way around, your dynamite is lit by fire.
Your acetylene torch? Gas aka fire.
Vehicle? Diesel/Gas sure handles that. Peddling is just fire direct from your burning soul. And well, solar is from the sun, the biggest ball of fire there is.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Or find an atomic lamp or two just sitting around shining forever. Those are lovely to light up two squares away from the lamp itself (5x5 area).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

...burn it with fire first?

Cataclysm: Fire is always the answer

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It'll handle the ordering for you but one of the keys will allow you see how your clothing is layered (and make adjustments???).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Some people just want to see the world burn.

NPCs are okay but if you could convince neutrals that rifling through your piles of scavenged items is not a *nice* thing, I'd be much happier about them showing up semi-randomly in the reality bubble. Or if they weren't so bloody accurate with their shotguns and semi-autos. Or you could set their spawn rate.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Hit up a refugee center for perma-light and loads of space. Least until you get a couple atomic lamps or a solar array for floodlights.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Sooooo....are you gonna eat that?

Dibs!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Also, if you blow into a new town with your awesome Mystery Van, park it on the outskirts and grab a not-quite-wreck that's littering up the roads. Play demoltion derby for a while until it cannot move anymore. Your joyride typically will have taken you away from the main path through the town, thus two great things have been accomplished: the first is you've cleared off a group of zombies and the second is the main drag has one less vehicle to maneuver around.

Also wrecking things is hilariously fun, particularly when you aren't risking your built up vehicle filled with goodies.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Change batteries! Jack a better battery from a wreck and replace it, requiring a minimal investment in Mechanics only. That or attach the car/truck battery to a solar array and let the sun slowly build the charge up for you.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Kinda. Zombie scientists have a special ability and one of the possible effects is spawning a single manhack. The only way I can think of that spawns a giant mound of them is an alarm going off; I've managed something like 10 drop down on me in a Lab when I failed a hack.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Oh yeah, that would do it. If it's the room I'm thinking of, the mi-go is in a room encased with reinforced glass making noises and drawing the attention of the scientists. Their special ability recharges in relatively short order (not enough to fire it off more than once in a fight where you're prioritizing their deaths) so with enough time in the reality bubble the 'hacks are going to stack higher and higher.

Clearly the thing to do here is liberally lace the floor with explosions.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

So I managed to get the petrified eye ending of the mines. The constant screaming was really wrecking my mood but I did a dumb thing. I waited half an hour and didn't back out of the swarm that came into view. Then I did another dumb thing and decided hey this would be the perfect time to unleash chain lightning CBM into the pile of wyrms that were starting to wreck my poo poo. :downs:

On the other hand, the effect looked pretty sweet. And I guess I left a fully stocked refugee shelter for other characters to use. Shame I can't get all that survivor gear back any time soon if it hasn't been melted down by all that acid.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 24, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

And eventually you can make your own purifier (which then gets combined into a Foodco kitchen buddy so it runs off a vehicle's battery).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Make a welder cart that you can happily drag along behind you and runs off a storage battery. Easily assembled when you drive into town with your proper mobile warbase.