Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I really want to get into this game, can anyone point me in the right direction on how to get set up with a tileset? And any worthwhile beginner guides, or should I just throw myself in and figure it out along the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thank you very much. Any must have QoL mods or should I just play the vanilla game for starters?

For the latest stable release, am I meant to download each one of those links separately? I can't tell if I'm blind, I'm not seeing one large .zip file that I can download.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 18, 2020

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Can I go and build my own cabin in the woods in this game, and are you able to start farming and becoming self-subsistent with rain catchers etc? Or if I just built my homestead by a river. If so, I'm excited to play.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there somewhere I can see a list of all useful / most often used keybinds? Having the same issue I had when I first picked up Dwarf Fortress: everything takes me ages cause I'm constantly having to remind myself what keys do what.

Makes me remember the days when I was younger and typed one letter at a time.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Will my main method of learning be trial and error, or are there books ingame that I can read to give me tips and advice? I haven't yet played the game properly as my setup is less than ideal, and my monitor is a good 1.7m away from my eyeballs and I can't scale the text up so it makes reading extremely difficult.

I'm wondering if it's possible to dive in and learn things intuitively, or if a lot of my knowledge will be gained from experience / asking you guys. The possibilities in this game make me so excited. It's like a more fleshed-out version of Unreal World. I just can't wait to set up a little shack in the woods next to a river and subsist off of the land, with occasional forays into nearby towns.

Am I able to recruit NPCs to come live with me and go on expeditions with me? That would make the prospect of scouting out towns a lot less daunting, knowing I've got a second pair of eyes and arms to help me out of sticky situations. And being able to throw them at a dangerous threat to act as a meat shield whilst I run away would be handy.

And the thought of maybe one day making my own campervan with supplies, refrigeration and living space so I can gently caress off into the middle of nowhere and still be comfy.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanks for the advice, Tin Tim. Completely new question: is there a wounds screen or anything? I got into a fight with a zombie (I was mistakenly smashing the floor until I realized it's a roguelike and I'm meant to bump into them to attack) and it bit me a few times. I have no idea if this is a death sentence or not, but I applied bandages to the bite marks nonetheless. Is the only info I get in terms of health status / wounds the bars to the right for my arms, legs and torso? Also, what's the button to wait for an extended period of time, keybindings says its l and I cannot for the life of me figure out what that is, I've tried I, l, | no bueno.

Oh and whenever I craft stuff, it just puts a crafting sticker on the floor and I have to tediously pick it up and activate it to finish crafting it. Surely there's a faster way of churning out tonnes of lockpicks?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Should I be as scared of zombies as I am? I'm venturing into my town as the evac shelter doesn't have sheets, and I want to board the evac shelter up and supply it so I can spend a few days settling in and getting the hang of things. But whenever I venture into town, as soon as zombies start shuffling towards me, I high-tail it back to the shelter. Can I beat them with my plank (12 str) or should I avoid at all costs?

I figured since it's my first character, I should probably play brazenly so I die quickly rather than spending ages setting up and dying to something really quick due to inexperience.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I managed to get into my first town, I had to kill about 6 zombies, a zombie dog and a zombie cop. There's a couple of fat zombies I'm avoiding, and I unfortunately managed to attract the attention of a fast zombie (or whatever the one is that is really quick). I killed that one too. The lack of a comprehensive wound system makes me worry excessively. Even if I try and kite zombies (swing, backstep, swing, backstep) they still manage to bite me even though there's no grab prompt.

They're consistently tearing through previous bandages and wounding me, but the bars are green so I suppose I'm okay? No need to keep bandaging? I used antiseptic from a first aid kit, but it says the outcome is poor, same with bandages I apply. So I'm at a loss as to whether I should disinfect these wounds or just let them heal naturally and save these bandages and antiseptic for more serious matters.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

That was awesome advice and I really enjoyed reading it. I've been bashing normal zombies in the starter town, and I found a farm which is enclosed to the south, east and west, and has a small 4-tile-wide opening to the north. I managed to tame a horse and am riding it around! Trying to find rope so I can tie it down to prevent it following me into dangerous places, I can't sneak really well when there's a horse clopping into the house behind me. Trying to figure out how to harvest plant fibre so I can make lots of rope relatively easily. The kiting / staging area advice has got me pumped, I was having fun just imagining the scenarios but actually doing it myself is going to be heaps more enjoyable.

I'm still religiously bandaging my wounds but I'm not sure how effective or wasteful it is. And then I get into a fight and zombies smack the bandages off.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Fallen down this rabbit hole something fierce... Been binge watching youtube videos on tips / tutorials. Got into a nasty scrap with a zombie soldier and got beaten up pretty badly, so I returned home, made a few trips to move all my resources from the evac shelter to the farm, and now I've bandaged myself up and am sitting tight for a couple of days til I'm all healed.

Spending my time sewing, cooking, and reading. It's really cosy and I can't wait to get back out again. I plan on hitting the town and doing a big looting run, and checking out a nearby cabin. I found an M4A1, and I've decided I'll purely use it for hunting. I guess it'll one-shot deer / animals, compared to pelting them with arrows or pebbles. I hate trying to ambush animals, only to have them run away severely injured and then I lose them and have no idea how to track them.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Make sure to use (p)recise aim whenever you have the luxury to do so. It greatly increases your chances of a critical hit.

I'll press m to cycle my aim (it increases my chances), then I press . until my recoil is low, and then I press p. I don't know if me pressing m is made redundant by the fact I press p.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

A zombie soldier really hosed my torso up, got me down to 2 bars and it was orange. I've spent a day and a half recuperating and I'm still only at 4 bars and don't want to risk going out on adventures. I've just spent my time reading, reinforcing (and destroying) gear, and I wanted to figure out how to chop trees down but I can't make an axe. Probably need survival 2 or something, right?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I was wondering whether it's worth it to put away my crowbar (for bashing damage) and instead wield my combat knife from my sheath to stab zombie soldiers to death. Cause I was playing it out in my head, and zombie soldiers are kitted out in pretty tough gear, it made me realise bashing them is kinda pointless. So would I kill them quicker and more reliably with a cutting / piercing weapon instead? Or is it all weird cause zombies don't technically bleed out or have a hard time shrugging off internal organ damage.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

Zombie soldiers have 25 cut armor but only 15 bash so smacking is better than slicing by default. I'm not sure how piercing damage works but I think it reduces the cut armor and rolls damage against that modified number. In melee I take soldiers down with the quarterstaff I carry in my inventory for enemies with higher cut resistance

How can you tell what an enemies armour is against certain types of damage? Is it something you can see ingame or wiki only.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Cheers for that, I actually prefer using it as it means I get to enjoy the game more instead of avoiding everything from fear. I thought fat zombies were tough just cause they're fat, but it turns out they're not much more difficult than the things I've already killed.

Also, why am I seeing so many fresh dead corpses all over the place? Human remains, I'll just find a bunch all together. I'm not sure if they were recently alive and something killed them, or if it's just remnants from the cataclysm that I'm seeing.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What the heck is a fema camp, I came across one and a bunch of zombies broke out and are littering my beautiful lawn. I've spent the past few days rounding them up and killing them, but there's so many. Is there any worthwhile loot in it? There's a whole other pen crammed full of zombies that I've not even gotten around to killing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is it something I should avoid if I'm on my 3rd day and I'm a beginner? Or can I carry on kiting zombies like I have been and taking them out one by one.